Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Telegraph reports NHS staff in UK are threatening to walk out over PPE as death toll rises 888 on the previous day
    NHS staff may refuse to work this weekend if supplies of gowns and other PPE are unavailable for them to deal with coronavirus patients, the union Unison says.

The warning came after Public Health England reversed guidance to hospitals on Friday, asking staff to reuse equipment.

Unison head of health Sara Gorton said: "These are absolute worse case scenerio measures, which staff hope their organisations won't have to implement.

"No part of the NHS should use this move as an excuse to ration supplies of gowns when they still have stock."

It comes as NHS Providers warned some hospitals' supplies could run out in 24 hours, and asked medical staff in England are to be asked to attend to medical needs without fully protective gowns and to reuse equipment due to shortage fears.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-uk-latest-cases-deaths-lockdown-vaccine-update/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

keynes wrote: »
    No reason why they shouldn't. These stores have plenty of open space, much more so than supermarkets.

It's not about how much open space there is inside the store - otherwise why would small spars/centras etc still be open?

It's about having as few people moving around during the day as possible. Buying food is a necessity, buying paint for the garden fence is not essential right now. Your fence can wait until next summer to be painted. (or maybe it can't and it'll rot and fall down - but you'll never be able to eat it either way! :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

UK reports 888 new deaths and 5,525 new cases
    Astonishing figures with little improvement. When you consider it's just hospitals the true figure must be much higher. Yet little talk in the media of panic in hospitals which is equally surprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

walshb wrote:
    The dogs on the street should know that there are several symptoms..not all need to be present..
    The dogvon the street doesn't know
    walshb wrote:
    Hell, people testing positive with none. We all know this...
    When are you going to get it that people in general only have a minimal amount of knowledge. They read the headline and maybe the first paragraph and that's usually the sensational stuff like that you won't be tested if you don't have a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Notmything

walshb wrote: »
    Agreed.

However, the onus is on everyone to be careful and responsible

I can’t see how this can be spun or defended in any way..

Thought this, thought that, maybe this, maybe that...red herrings nonsense

Nurse. Hospital setting. Risk. Awareness.

Three clear symptoms, in her words it was obvious she was unwell..

Still decided to attend work just because no fever and cough..

I would not attend work if I had the symptoms she described, and I do not work in the health field, and I’d like to think nobody would be out and about with these symptoms...

And the end result was that the nurse tested positive...so all the red herrings and deflection and but this and but that is garbage. She had three symptoms, and was positive for the virus..

Oh I'm not defending her actions, she should have assumed the worst given her job. I was just commenting on the idea that the symptoms are the same for everyone. I never had a fever but started with loss of smell and cough. Tbh I thought nothing of the loss of smell until I saw it mentioned online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

walshb wrote: »
    The dogs on the street should know that there are several symptoms

Not this one, and he's a doctor !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Tom the nigh on 100yo war Vet in the UK has raised £27.2m so far including the tax refund aspect of justgiving:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs

Total raised
    £22,909,417.29
    + £4,325,840.71 Gift Aid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,713 ✭✭✭✭walshb

eagle eye wrote: »
    The dogvon the street doesn't know

When are you going to get it that people in general only have a minimal amount of knowledge. They read the headline and maybe the first paragraph and that's usually the sensational stuff like that you won't be tested if you don't have a virus.

Eh, she’s a bloody respiratory nurse....

And I am a dog on the street and I absolutely knew it!!

You seriously saying that the general public do not know that the illness can present itself with a number of varying symptoms?

It’s the most covered news story in history this virus..

Get a grip!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

UK reports 888 new deaths and 5,525 new cases

They lowered the reproductive number before we did, so shouldn't their daily figures be falling now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Deaths in Europe will pass 100,000 this evening, likely around 125,000-140,000 in reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They lowered the reproductive number before we did

Linky? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Inquitus wrote: »
    Tom the nigh on 100yo war Vet in the UK has raised £27.2m so far including the tax refund aspect of justgiving:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs

Total raised
    £22,909,417.29
    + £4,325,840.71 Gift Aid

I think he's the best story to come out of all this.

Just goes to show the difference one person can make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They lowered the reproductive number before we did, so shouldn't their daily figures be falling now?

Nobody knows if they did, the reproductive number is just an estimate, and also changes constantly.Its pretty much impossible that the UK lowered the reproductive number before us given their huge population density and implementation of any lockdown measures a whole week after us

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

It's not about how much open space there is inside the store - otherwise why would small spars/centras etc still be open?

It's about having as few people moving around during the day as possible. Buying food is a necessity, buying paint for the garden fence is not essential right now. Your fence can wait until next summer to be painted. (or maybe it can't and it'll rot and fall down - but you'll never be able to eat it either way! :p)

But in the context of opening up, these stores should be top of the list. Also, Ive noticed a lot of people going to Lidl and Aldi now for garden materials. This clutters up supermarkets unnecessarily, raising the likelihood of spread, compared to a situation where Woodies etc were open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Anyone who has tested positive should be given a barcode after 2 weeks. This along with ID should be needed to travel. Provide the authorities with scanning software to read this barcode, let the barcode contain name, address, DOB.

Have you been watching the Hunger Games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52301633

Interesting article on the duration of the illness and the post viral fatigue that can go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Look at this:

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-outbreak-september-not-wuhan-1498566?fbclid=IwAR0RcXpAvVAOiLg4-ajyWKqdtFTUe_iOJ70WDcETkehqZFveTzCrjOU1g7Q

Scientists are tracing the virus and it looks as if it may not have started in wuhan and it could have began/started as early as September last.

That's incredible if true. The studying is from London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

keynes wrote: »
    But in the context of opening up, these stores should be top of the list. Also, Ive noticed a lot of people going to Lidl and Aldi now for garden materials. This clutters up supermarkets unnecessarily, raising the likelihood of spread, compared to a situation where Woodies etc were open

Asking people to stay at home and then shutting the hardware and gardening shops so that they could not get any supplies to keep them busy in the house or garden was particularly idiotic..........Almost as idiotic as warning us that this virus was particularly dangerous for the elderly and then failing to do anything to protect the nursing homes until it was too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

If restrictions are lifted too quickly and people carry on the same way as they did before the virus appeared, combined with a likely second wave next autumn/winter and no effective vaccine being developed, then the death rate could very well reach those levels over the next 12 months or so.

Can almost sense your disappointment at any positivity. Chin up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Asking people to stay at home and then shutting the hardware and gardening shops so that they could not get any supplies to keep them busy in the house or garden was particularly idiotic..........Almost as idiotic as warning us that this virus was particularly dangerous for the elderly and then failing to do anything to protect the nursing homes until it was too late.

Hey everybody, quick, panic buy at your local hardware store before we shut them all for a couple of months.

Yip, that would have been the sensible approach, get a huge rush of people from all corners to a few places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭jackboy

owlbethere wrote: »
    Look at this:

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-outbreak-september-not-wuhan-1498566?fbclid=IwAR0RcXpAvVAOiLg4-ajyWKqdtFTUe_iOJ70WDcETkehqZFveTzCrjOU1g7Q

Scientists are tracing the virus and it looks as if it may not have started in wuhan and it could have began/started as early as September last.

Well the scientist estimates that the outbreak started between September and December and that his proposed timelines could be wrong as he doesn’t have enough data.

walshb wrote:
    Get a grip!!

Obviously you spent too much time on your own and not enough talking to people or your understand how little the majority of people actually listen to anything that doesn't involve money or their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

jackboy wrote: »
    Well the scientist estimates that the outbreak started between September and December and that his proposed timelines could be wrong as he doesn’t have enough data.

But it shows the folly of attacking China without definitive proof of anything.

We like to think we are more civilized but there is a thin veil separating us from our pitch fork wielding ancestors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,713 ✭✭✭✭walshb

eagle eye wrote: »
    Obviously you spent too much time on your own and not enough talking to people or your understand how little the majority of people actually listen to anything that doesn't involve money or their kids.

Your assertion that it is not widely known, circulated or said that the illness can prevent itself with a varying range on symptoms is ludicrous..

Of course, there are clueless people in society, but the general public are pretty much well aware of the symptoms of it, and how they present in a varying manner..

The whole area of asymptomatic carriers puts your assertion to the bin..

Drumpot wrote: »
    But it shows the folly of attacking China without definitive proof of anything.

We like to think we are more civilized but there is a thin veil separating us from our pitch fork wielding ancestors.

Yes. The place and time of origin has not been proven yet. It will be hard to determine though unless China behaves in an open manner that would be unusual for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pubs/ Restaurants should open, but with ID needed to enter, over 35 banned from entering. It has to be the stage one of the opening approach to allow younger people back to work and to socialize . Part herd immunity has a role to play, and the sooner the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Pubs/ Restaurants should open, but with ID needed to enter, over 35 banned from entering. It has to be the stage one of the opening approach to allow younger people back to work and to socialize . Part herd immunity has a role to play, and the sooner the better.

It must be great to be young and naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Lol funniest post I have seen in the whole Covid-19 discussion ban over 35s from pubs. You must be 34 :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Seamai wrote: »
    It must be great to be young and ignorant , self absorbed, selfish naive.

Agreed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

I may be wrong, but would seem from the article that these people are being triaged on the basis that ICU treatment won't save their lives and I would assume they are receiving palliative care in the home instead. If your death is inevitable, that would be better than being needlessly intubated in ICU

Correct. This is standard practice in no way related to Covid 19. So many people don't seem to understand this. Hundreds of people die every month in Nursing homes and almost all never end up in ICU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Wombatman wrote: »
    I think the nub of the question is who is making the call "that ICU treatment won't save their lives"? Nursing and care home don't usually have people on their staff qualified to make this call.

It's could be we are not seeing the demand on hospital, HDU and ICU beds, other countries are seeing, due to a conservative admission policy.

Not true. Always the case. Nursing home residents don't qualify for ICU under normal circumstances. Zero to do with Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I think drinking age should be raised from 18 to 35 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Herd immunity would take 3 years+ to achieve without overwhelming our hospitals, suggesting it is advocating for genocide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Speak Now wrote: »

That would be a turn around wouldn't it "how old are you? " 35,
    " show me your ID ,"on you bike your to old":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Downlinz wrote: »
    Herd immunity would take 3 years+ to achieve without overwhelming our hospitals, suggesting it is advocating for genocide.

WHO today questioning if herd immunity is possible for Covid-19 given that there is no proof that people are immune having had the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Speak Now wrote: »

Perhaps an intelligence test instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Downlinz wrote: »

What approach are you suggesting, the current approach is not sustainable, it would be great to hear of an end strategy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Plenty of posters on here claim to be experts. Maybe an appitude during initial account creation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

rosiem wrote: »
    Lol funniest post I have seen in the whole Covid-19 discussion ban over 35s from pubs. You must be 34 :):)

One of my neighbours told me that he ‘celebrates’ his 70th birthday next week.....Tuesday he can go for a walk....Wednesday, or any day after, he can’t. He is not seeing the funny side it.

walshb wrote:
    Of course, there are clueless people in society, but the general public are pretty much well aware of the symptoms of it, and how they present in a varying manner..
    You have no idea about the general public. Irish people mightn't be just as stupid as some other countries but you are vastly overestimating how much they take in.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    One of my neighbours told me that he ‘celebrates’ his 70th birthday next week.....Tuesday he can go for a walk....Wednesday, or any day after, he can’t. He is not seeing the funny side it.

It's only a recommendation right? He can keep going out for a walk maintaining social distancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

I would bet my house that Trump will win the election and it'll be a landslide. A lot of people here don't understand Americans, they take patriotism to a new level and the vast majority see this as an evil Chinese virus and only Trump has the balls to stick it to them. They see China as coming for their world superpower title and they are having none of it.

Bookies are offering 10/11 at the moment.

The reason Trump will win again is the same reason he won the first time, because of his opponent. Like Clinton before him, Biden is a horrible choice.

That would be the final nail in the coffin for most pubs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

https://www.foxnews.com/us/jacksonville-florida-beaches-reopen-coronavirus-phase-1

729 deaths and they are reopening beaches.
    God bless America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭spookwoman

owlbethere wrote: »
    Look at this:

I said this on another thread

Ref the around since October, even maybe before - Epidemiologist Larry Brilliant, yes that is his name, who helped eradicate smallpox believes the virus has been around for awhile. They went into an area tested 1000 people for antibodies and knowing the antibody tests are not 100% they got too high a reading from the population for something that only appeared in December. A variant of the virus could have been around and somehow mutated into the monster we are seeing now. I have a family member who before christmas got a right dose that doctors say they don't know what it was, they had trouble breathing, terrible pain in the chest and is really only now getting back to some normality because it also sapped the strength out of them.
    They are still learning about the virus and they say the fevers could come and go for a number of months for those who got infected, they are also finding out the damage it is doing to internal organs, finding blood in urine indicating it also attacks the kidneys.
    Chinese universities before they where shut down recently were looking into the origin of the virus and had info put up also saying they believed the virus was about before December.
    Reality is we don't know where this virus came from or when it appeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

wakka12 wrote: »
    Surprisingly Portugal is now beginning to open up smaller business and construction sites again. Despite recording nearly 850 new cases and 60 deaths over the last 48 hours, but perhaps there is more to it than people outside the country would know, maybe most of the new cases are witin care homes and hospitals like Ireland and community transmission has largely ended.

Portugal has a lower infect per million ratio and a higher tests per million rate
    They are doing better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Be right back

Lashes28 wrote: »
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/jacksonville-florida-beaches-reopen-coronavirus-phase-1

729 deaths and they are reopening beaches.
    God bless America

I saw a picture of someone in the States covered entirely in PPE gear yet holding up a placard declaring that the virus is a hoax.

spookwoman wrote: »
    I have a family member who before christmas got a right dose that doctors say they don't know what it was, they had trouble breathing, terrible pain in the chest and is really only now getting back to some normality because it also sapped the strength out of them.
    That pre Christmas dose that gave people difficulty breathing was widespread in the country. I asked about it here before. Someone said that it was confirmed as an unusual strain of the flu, so not related to covid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement