Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

spookwoman wrote: »
    I said this on another thread

Ref the around since October, even maybe before - Epidemiologist Larry Brilliant, yes that is his name, who helped eradicate smallpox believes the virus has been around for awhile. They went into an area tested 1000 people for antibodies and knowing the antibody tests are not 100% they got too high a reading from the population for something that only appeared in December. A variant of the virus could have been around and somehow mutated into the monster we are seeing now. I have a family member who before christmas got a right dose that doctors say they don't know what it was, they had trouble breathing, terrible pain in the chest and is really only now getting back to some normality because it also sapped the strength out of them.
    They are still learning about the virus and they say the fevers could come and go for a number of months for those who got infected, they are also finding out the damage it is doing to internal organs, finding blood in urine indicating it also attacks the kidneys.
    Chinese universities before they where shut down recently were looking into the origin of the virus and had info put up also saying they believed the virus was about before December.
    Reality is we don't know where this virus came from or when it appeared.

I find it fascinating and baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

xtal191 wrote:
    The reason Trump will win again is the same reason he won the first time, because of his opponent. Like Clinton before him, Biden is a horrible choice.
    Well Biden isn't certain yet because of the sexual assault allegation.
    Everybody else has withdrawn so if he can s forced to step down I'd imagine there's be a huge swell if support behind Cuomo for the nomination. If that happens then Trump loses but I'd agree that he'll beat Biden.

I saw a picture of someone in the States covered entirely in PPE gear yet holding up a placard declaring that the virus is a hoax.

LOL.

Can you find the picture and share it here please? For a laugh. Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The head of the WHO is an idiot.

He has zero proof that having had covid19 doesnt lead to immunity. It requires significant research before he can make this judgement.

Instead he is spreading panic that people who are recovered are not immune.

Yet another mistake from this guy. How many more mistakes can he make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Be right back

^^^^ Here it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I saw a picture of someone in the States covered entirely in PPE gear yet holding up a placard declaring that the virus is a hoax.

Reminds me of the protest at GAA headquarters when Lansdowne road was being renovated, guy wearing a Celtic Jersey holding up a sign saying no to foreign games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

He has zero proof that having had covid19 doesnt lead to immunity. It requires significant research before he can make this judgement.

I don’t think he said that. Also, the headlines on BBC and SKY are skewing what was said, which is that they have no proof that people who recovered have immunity, but they have no prove that they don’t. Essentially, they said what you are saying (that we need to do more research)...but the press is reporting it in a sensational manner

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Roger_007 wrote: »
    One of my neighbours told me that he ‘celebrates’ his 70th birthday next week.....Tuesday he can go for a walk....Wednesday, or any day after, he can’t. He is not seeing the funny side it.

Of course he can go for a walk stop being dramatic !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Downlinz wrote: »
    Herd immunity would take 3 years+ to achieve without overwhelming our hospitals, suggesting it is advocating for genocide.

And no guarantee it will actually work. Reinfections in Korea rising.

https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200417006800320

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Pubs/ Restaurants should open, but with ID needed to enter, over 35 banned from entering. It has to be the stage one of the opening approach to allow younger people back to work and to socialize . Part herd immunity has a role to play, and the sooner the better.

Why would you decide on 35 as the age restriction?

Achasanai wrote: »

Probably because they are 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I said this on another thread

Ref the around since October, even maybe before - Epidemiologist Larry Brilliant, yes that is his name, who helped eradicate smallpox believes the virus has been around for awhile. They went into an area tested 1000 people for antibodies and knowing the antibody tests are not 100% they got too high a reading from the population for something that only appeared in December. A variant of the virus could have been around and somehow mutated into the monster we are seeing now. I have a family member who before christmas got a right dose that doctors say they don't know what it was, they had trouble breathing, terrible pain in the chest and is really only now getting back to some normality because it also sapped the strength out of them.
    They are still learning about the virus and they say the fevers could come and go for a number of months for those who got infected, they are also finding out the damage it is doing to internal organs, finding blood in urine indicating it also attacks the kidneys.
    Chinese universities before they where shut down recently were looking into the origin of the virus and had info put up also saying they believed the virus was about before December.
    Reality is we don't know where this virus came from or when it appeared.

Interesting that he can say this when many epidemiologists have stated that quite a low percentage of recovered patients have seroconverted to produce antibodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lashes28 wrote: »
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/jacksonville-florida-beaches-reopen-coronavirus-phase-1

729 deaths and they are reopening beaches.
    God bless America

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

One of my neighbours told me that he ‘celebrates’ his 70th birthday next week.....Tuesday he can go for a walk....Wednesday, or any day after, he can’t. He is not seeing the funny side it.

No-one is going to stop him going for a walk any day...just as long as he knows the risk. Lot of people seem to think cocooning is a law rather than a recommendation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lashes28 wrote: »
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/jacksonville-florida-beaches-reopen-coronavirus-phase-1

729 deaths and they are reopening beaches.
    God bless America

EV1u2HLXgAAk7Y3?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Achasanai wrote: »

As stats show they're in little danger when they contact the Virus. Yes there have been exceptions to the rule with kids dying so on, but it's very very rare.

I think when we do start to open it won't be a light switch moment, it will be the less vulnerable that will start that process.

EDit wrote: »
    I don’t think he said that. Also, the headlines on BBC and SKY are skewing what was said, which is that they have no proof that people who recovered have immunity, but they have no prove that they don’t. Essentially, they said what you are saying (that we need to do more research)...but the press is reporting it in a sensational manner

Will the Irish Times do?

Reading it again it was Mike Ryan who said it.
    He said there is no proof of immunity in those who have recovered. This is very likely to cause mass panic particularly in those who had the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Wouldnt be the biggest fan of how the WHO has handled this, but the point they're making is that recovering from Covid-19 does not necessarily confer lifelong immunity.

Nobody knows how long the immunity lasts for because more research is required and this is a new virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Mwengwe wrote: »
    No-one is going to stop him going for a walk any day...just as long as he knows the risk. Lot of people seem to think cocooning is a law rather than a recommendation

Exactly my Dad is in his 80s and goes for a 10/15 minute walk every second evening just before it gets dark avoids meeting anyone I encourage it for his mental health and well being he doesn’t leave the house otherwise so it adds no extra risk to him or others.

• Advertisement

You'd expect Florida now to become a hotspot that could end up like Spain due to the face it's a retirement state. But some folks got to learn the hard way. It will at least show Trump and Co you can't just open the floodgates without the virus spreading.

Of course he can, just try to go at a quiet time and avoid people outside his household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You'd expect Florida now to become a hotspot that could end up like Spain due to the face it's a retirement state. But some folks got to learn the hard way. It will at least show Trump and Co you can't just open the floodgates without the virus spreading.

It seems that they don't really care in America about the huge loss of life. So I've no idea why Irish people should start caring about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

6 wrote: »
    Some smaller hardware shops are open in Galway. Garden centres too.

Shhhhhhhh :D & don't give out the code word ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Mwengwe wrote: »

Ohh yeaa ?

From HSE website and it says absolutely nothing about this being a recommendation...
    Last updated: 17 April 2020 at 4.40pm

People who need to cocoon

Cocooning is for people who:

are over 70 years of age - even if you're fit and well...

Cocooning means you should stay at home at all times and avoid face-to-face contact. Even within your home, you should minimise all non-essential contact with other members of your household.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Will the Irish Times do?

Reading it again it was Mike Ryan who said it.
    He said there is no proof of immunity in those who have recovered. This is very likely to cause mass panic particularly in those who had the virus.

Yeah, but it’s the context that’s missing. You are interpreting it as “we have done loads of research and we have found no proof of immunity“ whereas my interpretation from reading the articles on BBC and SKY is that he meant “we haven’t done the research yet, so we have no proof of immunity yet”.

I’d imagine that they felt they had to say something as everyone seems to be assuming infection = immunity, but the truth is we don’t know yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Graph of the dead on the day that they died, rather than the day they were reported to have died. So the lag is removed.

00142c61-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Pubs/ Restaurants should open, but with ID needed to enter, over 35 banned from entering. It has to be the stage one of the opening approach to allow younger people back to work and to socialize . Part herd immunity has a role to play, and the sooner the better.

What about people under 35 but with health issues. Maybe a health screening and issue a pass. That way could have bouncers asking to see your papers. What a glorious image all that conjures up

ek motor wrote: »
    Wouldnt be the biggest fan of how the WHO has handled this, but the point they're making is that recovering from Covid-19 does not necessarily confer lifelong immunity.

Nobody knows how long the immunity lasts for because more research is required and this is a new virus.

Its irresponsible though.

We have to go back to normality at some stage.

He should have held off until we are 100% sure it does or doesn't make you immune and for how long. That requires studies for at least a year and a sample size of at least 10,000 people.

The WHO hold a position of influence so they need to be careful what they say. They've already got a number of things wrong.

keynes wrote: »
    But in the context of opening up, these stores should be top of the list. Also, Ive noticed a lot of people going to Lidl and Aldi now for garden materials. This clutters up supermarkets unnecessarily, raising the likelihood of spread, compared to a situation where Woodies etc were open

A friend wanted to get a dog bed from Aldi but would too scared in case the Guards caught her on the way home ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

jackboy wrote: »
    It doesn’t matter how much it is suppressed. Once restrictions are lifted one contagious person can infect a significant part of a whole country. Restrictions only control the virus if they are never ending.

Exactly and thats precisely what this fuking bullsh1t lockdown is - NEVER ENDING .....

Don't think they quite understand.. Orange county protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Is this fact or fake news as they say?

Article explicitly makes reference to reinfection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Beggars belief really.

Any sign of Woodies reopening?

I was up late last night. I went to bed when the birds started to sing this morning. The euronews was on in the background and I noticed a clip from some country. I don't know from where. It was of a line of people wearing protective clothing, powerwashing or steaming the roads.

Like,

WTF is that about?

You would swear there are crowds of infected people forming on the roads coughing and spluttering all over the place. Or maybe the virus is turning body fluids into a poisonous gas or something.

• Advertisement

Are they going to cancel the clap in the UK on Thursday nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Anyone who has tested positive should be given a barcode after 2 weeks. This along with ID should be needed to travel. Provide the authorities with scanning software to read this barcode, let the barcode contain name, address, DOB.

Tatoo them, I think that has been tried before can't remember how that worked out .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

A lot of candidates qualifying for the 'Darwin Awards' this year !

EDit wrote: »
    Yeah, but it’s the context that’s missing. You are interpreting it as “we have done loads of research and we have found no proof of immunity“ whereas my interpretation from reading the articles on BBC and SKY is that he meant “we haven’t done the research yet, so we have no proof of immunity yet”.

I’d imagine that they felt they had to say something as everyone seems to be assuming infection = immunity, but the truth is we don’t know yet

Fair enough.

The headline doesn't look good though. Media and the WHO need to be careful.

Any sign of Woodies reopening?

Woodies can reopen but have chosen not to. They can legally but Leo says no :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Graph of the dead on the day that they died, rather than the day they were reported to have died. So the lag is removed.

00142c61-500.jpg

probably still numbers to be added to the last few days that will be reported today and after the weekend. there'll always be a bit of a lag

• Advertisement

It seems that they don't really care in America about the huge loss of life. So I've no idea why Irish people should start caring about them.

In that case the US needs to be closed from the world like North Korea, right now US is the epicentre, what they do effects us all.

"quarantine the sick, not the healthy" the sign read.

Lost for words here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ref the around since October, even maybe before - Epidemiologist Larry Brilliant, yes that is his name, who helped eradicate smallpox believes the virus has been around for awhile. They went into an area tested 1000 people for antibodies and knowing the antibody tests are not 100% they got too high a reading from the population for something that only appeared in December. A variant of the virus could have been around and somehow mutated into the monster we are seeing now.

I was just reading the comments on the Newsweek article re this that was posted earlier and someone mentioned the mystery vaping illness that hospitalised thousands of people and killed 60 last year in the US. Was the cause of that ever found for sure? Looking it up there is speculation it has to do with vitamin E in the vaping fluid. I'm sure it's nothing to do with Covid 19 but at the same time, a mystery lung illness in the months right before the outbreak of a pandemic of a respiratory illness should probably be checked on and ruled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

owlbethere wrote: »
    I was up late last night. I went to bed when the birds started to sing this morning. The euronews was on in the background and I noticed a clip from some country. I don't know from where. It was of a line of people wearing protective clothing, powerwashing or steaming the roads.

Like,

WTF is that about?

You would swear there are crowds of infected people forming on the roads coughing and spluttering all over the place. Or maybe the virus is turning body fluids into a poisonous gas or something.

Someone spits on the ground or drops an item of that is asymptomatic. Car drives over it, or carried on someone's shoe and virus is moved from point A to B and other points. That's my simplistic understanding.

This virus is too good at hiding itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

More good news
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/52331657
    Olympics won't be in 2021 either ...

Also people are getting it twice , so no herd immunity, one would assume this will render a vaccine useless ... so great!!!

definetely gonna throw myself off a ****n bridge now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement