Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

41 new deaths recorded today

778 additional cases confirmed:

- 630 new cases confirmed in Irish labs.
    - 148 cases confirmed from German labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Breaking: 41 more people have died from Coronavirus in Ireland.

A total of 571 deaths have now been recorded in the Republic.

@VirginMediaNews
    #COVID19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Regarding the WHO comments, they have been widely misreported by the Irish and UK media.

What they said is that there is no evidence that serological antibody tests will tell us if people have immunity.

Yeah, it's annoying to read the news reports.. they clearly said "there is no evidence" rather than "you will get infected again", but many media outlets are reporting the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This concerns me. You should speak to someone and stay away from the news for a while.

Resolve is what we need and we will come through this.

I've seen these type of threats first hand before in my life with immediate family unfortunately I wrote them off as just talk until the unthinkable happened. Something I bear the traumatic mental scars of to this day. So personally for me to see this talk it concerns me.
    i would say there are a lot of people who are contemplating suicide at this time, stay strong people! this to shall pass!

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

As stats show they're in little danger when they contact the Virus. Yes there have been exceptions to the rule with kids dying so on, but it's very very rare.

I think when we do start to open it won't be a light switch moment, it will be the less vulnerable that will start that process.

Why not 30, just to be sure? We've heard of examples - albeit rare - that people in their 30s have died from the virus.

Or better yet, leave pubs until the very end of the restrictions-easing process, as they would be the very places where the virus would have the best chance of ramping up infections?

But let me guess, you're under 35 yourself, and would love nothing more than heading out to the pub with your mates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

joe_99 wrote: »
    41 new deaths recorded today

778 additional cases confirmed:

- 630 new cases confirmed in Irish labs.
    - 148 cases confirmed from German labs.

4% growth.

How long are the people dead though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP, the 41 people who died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,713 ✭✭✭✭walshb

easypazz wrote: »
    4% growth.

I assume dead the last 24 hours or less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

easypazz wrote: »
    4% growth.

There was a post back a bit, Quantim I think, who noted that the back figures contained in todays figures will be added to yesterdays and so on in the graph so the dip in the graph of deaths in real time was just temporary yesterday, in that sense. If 20 of todays deaths are current and the rest from past days then tomorrows number will have some to be added to todays. Just snapshotting one day and saying the deaths are not all from today does not work to prove they are less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Polar101 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's annoying to read the news reports.. they clearly said "there is no evidence" rather than "you will get infected again", but many media outlets are reporting the latter.

They're being cautious and very accurate in what they, as they're a scientific body. Until there is proof of immunity, they have to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The governor of New Jersey says his state has lost more people in the last 4 weeks alone to COVID-19 than the entire last 3 flu seasons combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

walshb wrote: »

Wrong. As the good doctor explained yesterday there is a lag from death to reporting them, could be spread over the last 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The new cases are still quite high. With the lockdown 3 weeks in place I would have thought numbers would now be dropping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

walshb wrote: »

Not at all. They clearly said 'notified' deaths. There's still a time lag in receipt of death stats from doctors, registrars etc.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Wrong. As the good doctor explained yesterday there is a lag from death to reporting them, could be spread over the last 10 days.

There's a legal process to go through with these and it can be quite complex e.g. triggering an inquest, if the death happens within 24 hours of going to hospital in normal circumstances and so on.

Reporting a death is more than just a formality.

And thus the next 10 days numbers will contain lags that will apply to today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Couldn't it be spread over the last 3 months as you have that long to notify of deaths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

41 dead in the last 10 days would they be that way out?

Couldn't it be spread over the last 3 months as you have that long to notify of deaths?

Unlikely as most of these deaths are occurring in hospital or similar settings, so they'd be notified fairly promptly.

AFAIK what happens is the hospital / doctor issues a certificate which you then take / send to the registrar in your local area and they will then issue a death certificate. The person notifying the registrar is usually a family member, the doctor's certificate is just part of the process.

I would assume they have to work off the registrar's figures, not informally reported hospital ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The new cases are still quite high. With the lockdown 3 weeks in place I would have thought numbers would now be dropping

New cases most likely are a function of increased testing. That is just my opinion. The more one tests the more cases. The deaths, ICU numbers and hospitalisations are the numbers that are more reliable (though not entirely as we have seen in many countries). Still I see them as more indicative. If testing had been constant for a month in terms of numbers of tests then an increase would be notable.

Gynoid wrote: »
    New cases most likely are a function of increased testing. That is just my opinion. The more one tests the more cases. The deaths, ICU numbers and hospitalisations are the numbers that are more reliable (though not entirely as we have seen in many countries). Still I see them as more indicative. If testing had been constant for a month in terms of numbers of tests then an increase would be notable.

The comparison of country-to-country number of detected cases has more to do with how much detection they're doing and our testing rates are relatively high compared to a lot of European countries and the general US figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

If any of those Keelings workers test positive for covid, there should be more serious protests outside that factory!

If any of those workers develop symptoms unless they are very unwell, it is highly unlikely they will admit to it. They wont want the whole lot of the workers needing to isolate and perhaps loose their income.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Even though they are getting people tested quicker there is still a timelag. People recorded as positive today may have picked it up 2+ weeks ago then only tested once symptoms were starting to get serious (probably earlier for healthcare workers), 2-3 days to get tested, another 2-3 days to get their result.

What we are seeing now in terms of those testing positive are people typically infected 2-3 weeks ago. However there is always a question about how significant the positive figures are due to limited testing capabilities

The death figures have an even longer lag - probably people who first picked it up a month or so ago. They have been at a similar level for a number of days now and I am hopeful that's indicative of this plateauing, although I'm a bit concerned about the numbers we are seeing in the North

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

If any of those workers develop symptoms unless they are very unwell, it is highly unlikely they will admit to it. They wont want the whole lot of the workers needing to isolate and perhaps loose their income.

they are all already isolating arent they?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Xertz wrote: »
    The comparison of country-to-country number of detected cases has more to do with how much detection they're doing and our testing rates are relatively high compared to a lot of European countries and the general US figure.

Our testing rates seem high enough now. And hopefully will get better to allow quick turn around and tracing. I am not certain they were in good shape 2 or 3 weeks ago.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Xertz wrote: »
    There's a legal process to go through with these and it can be quite complex e.g. triggering an inquest, if the death happens within 24 hours of going to hospital in normal circumstances and so on.

Reporting a death is more than just a formality.

Everything is going to be delayed further in the current situation, and they may need to revise some processes given the restrictions everyone is under

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Roger_007 wrote: »
    One of my neighbours told me that he ‘celebrates’ his 70th birthday next week.....Tuesday he can go for a walk....Wednesday, or any day after, he can’t. He is not seeing the funny side it.

Was he born at midnight? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Beasty wrote: »
    Even though they are getting people tested quicker there is still a timelag. People recorded as positive today may have picked it up 2+ weeks ago then only tested once symptoms were starting to get serious (probably earlier for healthcare workers), 2-3 days to get tested, another 2-3 days to get their result.

What we are seeing now in terms of those testing positive are people typically infected 2-3 weeks ago. However there is always a question about how significant the positive figures are due to limited testing capabilities

The death figures have an even longer lag - probably people who first picked it up a month or so ago. They have been at a similar level for a number of days now and I am hopeful that's indicative of this plateauing, although I'm a bit concerned about the numbers we are seeing in the North

Average lag between contracting the virus and death is 18 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

The HSE have omitted the maps in their latest report. Every1 was probably all zooming in on their neybours seeing who has got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

That's because it's a very soft lockdown. Going by these numbers I can easily see it being made more draconian and extended for another 2 weeks beyond the 5th of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Any idea how many tests they are doing a day now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

they are all already isolating arent they?

But after isolation if they contract the virus whilst working I mean. These people are just as scared as we are of the virus. To be here in a country that is heavily infected with Covid, living in close conditions. Probably don't have much English. They are very poor and need the money or they wouldn't be here.

I'd say they just want to get the fruit picked, get their pay and get home to their families with their wages safely and with no fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cases/deaths have been stable for the last few days now. I'm fairly confident we are plateauing and this is our peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

BanditLuke wrote: »
    That's because it's a very soft lockdown. Going by these numbers I can easily see it being made more draconian and extended for another 2 weeks beyond the 5th of May.

Don't worry, there doesn't seem to be any indication that it will be made more draconian but the CURRENT SITUATION may be extended for several more weeks with the authorities, perhaps, granting a little more latitude ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Don't worry, there doesn't seem to be any indication that it will be made more draconian but the CURRENT SITUATION may be extended for several more weeks with the authorities, perhaps, granting a little more latitude ?

I'd like to see masks whilst outside the residence made compulsory at a minimum right now never mind waiting until May to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Be right back

More Draconian? Don't make me laugh. I never seen the streets so busy! Unfortunately, I hate to say it, Ireland are sleepwalking into a nightmare

Where do you see busy streets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭brickster69

Ireland #9 in the world for deaths / million

#1 for a country with a population between 1 & 5 million

RIP

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

I'd like to see masks whilst outside the residence made compulsory at a minimum right now never mind waiting until May to do it.

Yep, I'm with you on that, I'm sure we both see the value they have in reducing transmission either to a person or from a person.

I don't think movement will be further restricted though, it seems we've done "enough", no more, no less to stop community spread. Having said that, the nursing home situation is another matter altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Michael Dwyer

RIP

No. 1 nation for clapping ourselves on the back also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

RIP

You can't compare these stats between countries due to the different ways they report their deaths

How are people not getting this? It's been said a million times at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

More Draconian? Don't make me laugh. I never seen the streets so busy! Unfortunately, I hate to say it, Ireland are sleepwalking into a nightmare

Anything to back up that claim?

I was merely replying to a poster who used the word "Draconian"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hardware shops are allowed to open according to an Irish Times article!

They always have been. But the big ones chose not to & the government advised not to.

I never seen the streets so busy!
    When you exaggerate to this level your point loses all credibility,

RIP

How many times must the anomaly of reporting variations by country be explained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

RIP

We're also #1 in population for countries between 1 and 5 million. Choosing an arbitrary cutoff just above our population will obviously skew the data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No. 1 nation for clapping ourselves on the back also.

Ahh poor diddums.

Same here.

Any idea's where they can be bought at a reasonable price?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement