Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

JoChervil wrote: »
    I know nothing about nursing homes, so I am curious:

who pays for a care in a hospital of a resident of a nursing home? A resident or a nursing home?

Is treatment of Covid-19 in hospitals free?

We have a public health service. Why would they pay?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

what's your point?

52% community transmission is the total if all cases

Recent cases are less community transmission and more close contact e.g. nursing homes

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

Reports in tomorrow's papers that schools in the UK will open on May 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Stheno wrote: »
    52% community transmission is the total if all cases

Recent cases are less community transmission and more close contact e.g. nursing homes

Cumulative or not there is community transmissions its no time to be letting the foot of the pedal and leading ourselves into a false sense of security , you can catch this thing in the supermarket or on the street still , sigh, is better the a wheeze at least

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Ace2007 wrote: »
    his point is that 52% of all cases with community transmission, not 52% of new cases.

I realise that cumulative or not there is community transmissions its no time to be letting the foot of the pedal and leading ourselves into a false sense of security , you can catch this thing in the supermarket or on the street still , sigh, is better the a wheeze at least

Dundalk, Co. Louth

So by your logic we had 571 deaths today?

no

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Trump coming across like a half assed loan shark demanding payment

Loan sharks have more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Cumulative or not there is community transmissions its no time to be letting the foot of the pedal and leading ourselves into a false sense of security , you can catch this thing in the supermarket or on the street still , sigh, is better the a wheeze at least

If we have no new infections or deaths for the next 3 weeks, the community transmission would still be 52%

I don't think you understand that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know nothing about nursing homes, so I am curious:

who pays for a care in a hospital of a resident of a nursing home? A resident or a nursing home?

Is treatment of Covid-19 in hospitals free?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I can see harsh restrictions being put on travel to and from the US. EU flight routes will be up and running again in the coming months but I can see America having some restrictions outside of the main mandatory routes New York, DC etc.

I would hope so, but obviously we are very reliant on the US, and Trump is very volatile, so any impositions on the US will risk a totally disproportionate response.

• Advertisement

If we have no new infections or deaths for the next 3 weeks, the community transmission would still be 52%

I don't think you understand that?

yes i do, unlikely though

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Watch Global Citizen’s All-Star ‘One World: Together at Home’ COVID-19 Charity Special live now and through the night.

Virtual concert features the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Lizzo and dozens more.

The special — hosted by late-night TV’s Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon — will also feature Alicia Keys, Stevie Wonder, Kacey Musgraves, Celine Dion, Usher, Eddie Vedder, Chris Martin, J Balvin, John Legend, Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes, Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Billie Joe Armstrong and LL Cool J.

Matthew McConaughey, Awkwafina, Amy Poehler, Lupita Nyong’o, Ellen DeGeneres, Victoria Beckham, Idris Elba and Kerry Washington are among the celebrities partaking in the special, which will raise money for the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, as well as local and regional charities providing food, shelter and healthcare to those in need.

What would we do without celebrities...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

joe_99 wrote: »
    We have a public health service. Why would they pay?

New Home has said residents pay through their fee. I guess not for all people it is a public health service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I would hope so, but obviously we are very reliant on the US, and Trump is very volatile, so any impositions on the US will risk a totally disproportionate response.

Hopefully keeping the bare minimum of US routes to the EU will placate him. Anything after DC and NY people should just use the carriers within the States

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

That's all case from the start, it's not the current rate of community transmission.

Like if you think that page shows you that we have 52% transmission in the community - you would also have to read that as us having 571 deaths today and 14,758 infections, but we all know they are the totals.

Ah, I get you.
    Roughly, those % where 65 20 15 a month ago.
    Targeted testing and contact tracing have naturally bumped up the close contact percentage.

The trend graphs will show a rise if the RO rises/social distancing slackens.

Would any change take 14 days to show up? What I mean is when would any effects from Easter show in the graphs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

yes i do

It was confirmed at the briefing yesterday that community transmission is now close to zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

coastwatch wrote: »
    It was confirmed at the briefing yesterday that community transmission is now close to zero.
    I think you'd be better off going outside and shouting that into the abyss, it'd be more effective.

that's been said already

Dundalk, Co. Louth

I think you'd be better off going outside and shouting that into the abyss, it'd be more effective.

what abyss?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Why the f*ck are people on here constantly complaining about the number of people out? If it's within 2km of their homes they can do whatever they want. Community spread is 'virtually zero' according to Dr. Nolan.

doesn't look like that in the graphs, unless they haven't been updated for today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Until restrictions are lifted

This thing is a virus, it's happy place and ideal conditions are fresh bodies to infect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

and yet over 800 community transmission cases in the last two days according to this?
    fritzelly wrote: »
    I've been tracking all stats on my website - but even the official released numbers are all over the place - not sure how much faith you can put in them or the person who is responsible for publishing them. On the 14th April the numbers completely changed

cFTMz6O.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

and yet over 800 community transmission cases in the last two days according to this?

I was just thinking about this and are the daily transmission percentages for that days new numbers...
    May have to tweet someone because the numbers do not make any sense

edit, that still wouldn't make sense

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Until restrictions are lifted

This thing is a virus, it's happy place and ideal conditions are fresh bodies to infect

And thats why there will be a very gradual, lifting of restrictions, with 3-4 weeks between each change, to confirm the spread remains suppresed.

Those graphs have not been corrected with the true dates of when the tests were done.
    They are "homemade" graphs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

New Home has said residents pay through their fee. I guess not for all people it is a public health service.

If you present in a hospital it's free. Why would someone coming from a free nursing home or even private one suddenly have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

What would we do without celebrities...:rolleyes:

Virtue signalling alert.

Those graphs have not been corrected with the true dates of when the tests were done.

May be so but there was only 260 historic testing cases added the past few days.
    Still doesn't explain the big change on the 14th
    But all these results are historic - from the past two weeks (no one knows outside them if they are 2 days ago or 14 days ago or more) - see how things go over the next week when testing is or should be from the past few days

Other countries reporting would put Ireland to shame

And thats why there will be a very gradual, lifting of restrictions, with 3-4 weeks between each change, to confirm the spread remains surpressed.

And when all the restrictions are lifted, then what?

I think the only battle plan we have till a working vaccine is found is:

Restrictions -> lighter restrictions -> fewer restrictions -> Fresh wave of bastárd Covid -> Restrictions -> lighter restrictions -> fewer restrictions -> Fresh wave of bastárd Covid -> Restrictions -> lighter restrictions -> fewer restrictions -> Fresh wave of bastárd Covid ...

I can't see any pubs, clubs or (definitely!) concerts and sporting events with an audience allowed until this thing is at an "acceptable" level of deaths per week. What number this is? Who knows

So all the wasters who "live for the pub" had better find a new hobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

California reports 99 new deaths so far for yesterday, highest so far for the state.

Canada reports 159 new deaths, it's second highest total so far.

• Advertisement

If you think we've had 800 community transmissions in the last 2 days alone, do you still the R is still less than 1?

EVv8rw6WkAEP-gh?format=jpg&name=small

^^^
    Some Americans are confused how the first 18 strains never caused all these problems (that is real)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Why call them wasters? If people enjoy the pub then that's nice for them. There's no need to be snarky about it just because it's not for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭spookwoman

spookwoman wrote: »

Sickening - how the hell were they allowed to run a nursing home

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

And when all the restrictions are lifted, then what?

I think the only battle plan we have till a working vaccine is found is:

Restrictions -> lighter restrictions -> fewer restrictions -> Fresh wave of bastárd Covid -> Restrictions -> lighter restrictions -> fewer restrictions -> Fresh wave of bastárd Covid -> Restrictions -> lighter restrictions -> fewer restrictions -> Fresh wave of bastárd Covid ...

I can't see any pubs, clubs or (definitely!) concerts and sporting events with an audience allowed until this thing is at an "acceptable" level of deaths per week. What number this is? Who knows

We wont need a to wait for a vaccine IMO.

I think the route back to a nearly normal life will be :

Complete mass testing available to the public with quick results to see if you have it or more importantly if you already have had it thus hopefully meaning you are immune ( i know this isnt proven either but its more then likely the case)- and the use of a proven anti viral drug ( Remdesivir perhaps is the best hope so far) to help with a high % of those who then get the severe cases .

If these are both in place then surely we can start getting back to normal if we can see that a far larger number have got the virus then is being officially reported ( reports from the USA today that it may be a factor of 50- 80 times higher based on one sample of the pop in California) and that we can treat a high % of the worst cases with the anti viral drug then this would really bring the death rate down to a % probably as low as a bad flu would kill.

So we need the anti body tests and anti viral drugs to be widely available which hopefully can be done in the short to medium term to hopefully allow us to get back to life before a vaccine is ready and before the whole economy is destroyed..

Why call them wasters? If people enjoy the pub then that's nice for them. There's no need to be snarky about it just because it's not for you.

Going to the pub once a week is one thing. Going 5 days a week and your whole life revolving around alcohol is another

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There's a discrepancy in the released figures on the gov.ie site, which that graph was made from.
    Not like any of the amazing reporters we have each day seemed to have ****ing noticed. They are literally handed the detailed printout each day.
    13th April: 2872 total healthcare workers tested positive
    14th April: 2451 total healthcare workers tested positive
    ***(All figures are cumulative figures since the start of the outbreak)***

• Advertisement

It says a lot though for the families of people in these homes - like have you not called the home in the last few weeks to talk to your loved one or see how they are doing?

Like if I couldn't get through to a nursing home that a relative was in after 2 days - I would be up at the door seeing what was going on, I wouldn't be leaving it weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tinman22

Haven't posted on this thread before ,
    But like many, I persume i've been reading it every day trying to keep up with whats going on around the country !!
    I just found a family member is infected with the virus as is thier partner they have both had positive tests .
    They are both health care workers 1 works in Donegal and the other in Derry .
    Neither of them informed other family members , which I suppose is their own choice but would have been nice to be informed..
    The one in donegal is off work as you would expect but the 1 in Derry is still working as usual while showing symptoms !!!!
    They work as a community nurse and are calling with sick people in thier homes all day ,
    I think this is absolutly scandalous we are couped up in our homes unable to go to work while somebody who is knowingly infected is travelling around from house to house meeting sick people , they were told by their superiors that they had to turn up for work knowing that they had a positive test so it is obviously policy for NHS to have infected nurses still on the job spreading this bloody virus all around the community....

I was on board with these restrictions and lockdown I thought it was the best thing to do to slow the virus down and hopefully save as many people as we can.
    Now I just dont know it seems like absloute madness what is going on across the border.. I live in Donegal very close to the border so this is on my door step , this seems so at odds with me queing out side a mostly empty shop waiting for my turn to grab a few essential items and head home for another day looking at the same 4 walls just crazy !!!

I just needed to vent as we really cant believe what is going on ?! My own mother is in a community hospital at the minute in donegal I was talking to her yesterday I asked about things in there as we obviously aren't allowed to vist she was telling me nobody is wearing masks neither paitents or staff and I was annoyed about this last night but now im dumbfounded by the carry on in the north with infected nurses working away in the community....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Going to the pub once a week is one thing. Going 5 days a week and your whole life revolving around alcohol is another

You're right. Lucky bastárds!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Tinman22 wrote: »
    But like many, I persume i've been reading it every day trying to keep up with whats going on around the country !!
    I just found a family member is infected with the virus as is thier partner they have both had positive tests .
    Neither of them informed other family members , which I suppose is their own choice but would have been nice to be informed..
    The one in donegal is off work as you would expect but the 1 in Derry is still working as usual while showing symptoms !!!!
    They work as a community nurse and are calling with sick people in thier homes all day ,
    I think this is absolutly scandalous we are couped up in our homes unable to go to work while somebody who is knowingly infected is travelling around from house to house meeting sick people , they were told by their superiors that they had to turn up for work knowing that they had a positive test so it is obviously policy for NHS to have infected nurses still on the job spreading this bloody virus all around the community....

I was on board with these restrictions and lockdown I thought it was the best thing to do to slow the virus down and hopefully save as many people as we can.
    Now I just dont know it seems like absloute madness what is going on across the border.. I live in Donegal very close to the border so this is on my door step , this seems so at odds with me queing out side a mostly empty shop waiting for my turn to grab a few essential items and head home for another day looking at the same 4 walls just crazy !!!

I just needed to vent as we really cant believe what is going on ?! My own mother is in a community hospital at the minute in donegal I was talking to her yesterday I asked about things in there as we obviously aren't allowed to vist she was telling me nobody is wearing masks neither paitents or staff and I was annoyed about this last night but now im dumbfounded by the carry on in the north with infected nurses working away in the community....

If it's true, that's criminal.

Good improvisation here

ETEn4mIWkAEWBBY?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭spookwoman

laurah591 wrote: »
    This is so sad ... appears to be in a few countries .... see this article from last week

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/care-homes-across-globe-in-spotlight-over-covid-19-death-rates

:(
    another from the other day as well, you have to wonder what type pf people are running these places
    Police find 17 bodies at New Jersey nursing home after anonymous tip said boy in shed. 17 bodies stacked in a morgue that was designed to hold 4.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52314860

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

what abyss?

the_abyss_1989_still.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

spookwoman wrote: »
    another from the other day as well, you have to wonder what type pf people are running these places
    Police find 17 bodies at New Jersey nursing home after anonymous tip said boy in shed. 17 bodies stacked in a morgue that was designed to hold 4.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52314860

And let's not forget those poor souls in the Spanish nursing homes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

EVv8rw6WkAEP-gh?format=jpg&name=small

Well there are 3 distinct strains of the virus. Its possible one of them only mutated in 2020. Maybe the Ugandans are ahead of the game.

• Advertisement

Tinman22 wrote: »

That's madness. Have you tried contacting the media about this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement