Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

easypazz wrote: »
    I was one of those "2 people together"

Shopping for 3 households, 2 of those cocooning.

So give it a rest.

You are going against what we are being asked to do for the common good. You maybe able to justify it in your own mind. but it is nevertheless outside good practice.

Everyone can excuse their own needs. but we shouldn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So give it a rest.

The two I saw inside the shop were not shopping for multiple households because they walked around and picked stuff up with their hands and no use of a trolley (which you would expect when shopping for one household). Surely one person could have picked up the few items they needed. Extra people are out there when they shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

BoatMad wrote: »
    The lockdown will end by political decision , not medical , a balance between ongoing disease and economics

After a while 20 oaps dying from this each day won't make headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Discodog wrote: »
    Be straight with people. He said that they didn't want to give the gardai extra powers & then 24 later did exactly that.

He then stressed that it was only for the Easter weekend but then extended them for three weeks.
    You're either being dishonest here or you're not paying attention.

When Harris gave the Gardai extra powers up to the weekend he was absolutely clear that he was prepared to extend them.

The Garda powers are aligned to the lockdown restrictions and they are aligned to the advise from NPHET. It would make no sense to give powers to the Gardai to enforce restrictions that didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Nope people don't realise that.

Went to the shop today. Huge sign outside the shop saying one member per household. About four meters ahead of me, there were two people standing side by side in the same box... They were either friends and couldn't give a fcuk about mixing with other people not in their household or they were from the same family and just ignored the one person per household rule. I just don't get it.

Self entitlement is a virus in itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The ECDC website is showing 696 new cases and 24 deaths for Ireland today.

Obviously their 24 hour window is different to the Dept. Of Health but deaths are normally pretty closely aligned.

After yesterday I wont even hazard a guess about new cases and what's included in their figure.

Will there be a briefing?

You are going against what we are being asked to do for the common good. You maybe able to justify it in your own mind. but it is nevertheless outside good practice.

Everyone can excuse their own needs. but we shouldn't

You are right. Let the old people starve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

LOL. City center. Sun is out, and absolute madness. Everyone packed on top of each, 0 ****s given about anything.

"Restrictions" do not work unless you have men with machine guns patrolling the streets. That's it. The alternative is more virus and death. Irish society has clearly chosen the latter...you know, because it's "such a nice day outside."

Idiots.

So give it a rest.

What a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Has Uk released its figures today yet

fq7dxvbgf4s41.jpg

The_Brood wrote: »
    LOL. City center. Sun is out, and absolute madness. Everyone packed on top of each, 0 ****s given about anything.

"Restrictions" do not work unless you have men with machine guns patrolling the streets. That's it. The alternative is more virus and death. Irish society has clearly chosen the latter...you know, because it's "such a nice day outside."

Idiots.

This is the flip side of closing beaches and beauty spots, people will pack other areas even more.

nj27 wrote: »

Can someone more sciencey explain how vaccine will work if there's different strains of a vaccine? And if a virus mutates, how will such a vaccine help?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mr.S wrote: »
    Guards need to seriously have a presence in parks are on days like this with sun, still some idiots ruining it for everyone.

Same in the UK.

The price is not paid for this today.

It's paid in 2 weeks time.

Same people will be saying "isn't it terrible"...

After a while 20 oaps dying from this each day won't make headlines.

Except the ones you are shopping for of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

You are right. Let the old people starve.

Ignoring your facetiousness. One person should be more than capable of shopping for a few households. if you are not up to this task. perhaps you should ask someone more capable to do the shopping run?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

owlbethere wrote: »

There will be an announcement of the latest figures but no press conference. They won`t resume until Tuesday.

Ignoring your facetiousness. One person should be more than capable of shopping for a few households. if you are not up to this task. perhaps you should ask someone more capable to do the shopping run?

Ok

This is the flip side of closing beaches and beauty spots, people will pack other areas even more.

Not people, idiots.

But but they are cocooning, he needs two people. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

There will be an announcement of the latest figures but no press conference. They won`t resume until Tuesday.
    I suppose that makes sense. They need a break. They probably don't fancy another long evening teaching George some sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

People seem to have given up with the 3 week extension. It is like the summer holidays.

People stopping for social chats.

People mixing with other households.

People in houses they don't live in.

People playing sport in a communal area.

Cyclists more than 2km from home.

Elderly out walking and/or sitting in communal areas.

Queues outside the shops that are open.

This is not going to work. People won't take it seriously until someone they love gets critically ill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Not people, idiots.

Unfortunately the two are not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mr.S wrote: »
    Can't be that much to spare a few patrols to monitor parks and disperse people, I see them do it already but once every half a day or something.

I drove by a park earlier and there is nothing the gardai can do. It was packed.

It's more packed today than on any other sunny day I can remember.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    But but they are cocooning, he needs two people. :rolleyes:

2 people stand side by side in the queue. When they get into shop they split up and do 2 different lists, with 2 trolleys and pay separately.

I don't get the shaming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

owlbethere wrote: »

Just a press release on Saturday's and Sunday's I think.

2 people stand side by side in the queue. When they get into shop they split up and do 2 different lists, with 2 trolleys and pay separately.

I don't get the shaming here.

You don't get a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can someone more sciencey explain how vaccine will work if there's different strains of a vaccine? And if a virus mutates, how will such a vaccine help?

There are multiple breeds of dogs but they are all still dogs

Virus has minor mutations but it's still the same virus at the core that vaccines target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I wasn't surprised in the least that extensions were extended. I'm still not happy about not having a clear exit strategy. Strategy has been weak throughout. We were more concerned with cowing EU, vintners , Bord failte than getting ahead of this curve.

Getting to the stage of just getting on with the new reality. This will be hear for a very long time if the whole international community doesn't work together. Best just get used to new normal and keep yourself and loved ones happy and safe.

Happy Saturday. :)

I don’t know why people expect that at this point. There can’t be a clear exit strategy when there is still so much uncertainty about the virus. I’ve said this a few times and I’ll say it again: the four or so months we have been aware of this virus is the square root of fuck all time in scientific research terms, even with technological advances. Our knowledge of this virus is in its infancy. Scientific papers have been published but anyone even tangentially involved in scientific research knows that that is eyebrow-raisingly quick for papers to be published. Those papers will be error-ridden. Some that I’ve seen are. You can’t rush this stuff if you want quality findings. How can an exit strategy be worked out at this very early stage and very few developments and breakthroughs to work off? We might desperately want an exit strategy but, well, there’s lots of things I want that I can’t have.

We are not necessarily just relying on research scientists. Existing treatments might prove helpful. Or maybe climate. There could be a breakthrough. But so far, no real breakthroughs. So we have to be patient.

• Advertisement

Birdy wrote: »
    People seem to have given up with the 3 week extension. It is like the summer holidays.

People stopping for social chats.

People mixing with other households.

People in houses they don't live in.

People playing sport in a communal area.

Cyclists more than 2km from home.

Elderly out walking and/or sitting in communal areas.

Queues outside the shops that are open.

This is not going to work. People won't take it seriously until someone they love gets critically ill.

People don't care because it won't happen to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement