Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Shadylou wrote: »
    Where?

Antrim

510218.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

New Home wrote: »
    There's a makeshift mortuary being set up near Heuston Station. Source: someone I know who can see it from his window.

a temporary mortuary is not the same as mass graves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Rumor I heard was Longford. I laughed it off tbh.

I wouldn’t.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

zinfandel wrote: »
    a temporary mortuary is not the same as mass graves!

I know, but the bodies stored there will have to go somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

New Home wrote: »
    There's a makeshift mortuary being set up near Heuston Station. Source: someone I know who can see it from his window.
    The one in the carpark of Royal Hospital Kilmainham has been public knowledge for some weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Looney1

We hear of new grave sites, new mortuary field hospitals city west etc. Am I missing something. Do we not have this under control??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

deisedevil wrote:
    Or is it that they just couldn't manage the amount of requests. It wasn't that the criteria was too wide at all and they just needed an excuse to reduce the amount of requests maybe? How many people have had it but were told no test would be done because they didn't meet the new criteria.

I think the real truth is that the labs weren't prepared and how could they be. The systems to support them weren't ready and that's also understandable. The reagents ran out and more could not be sourced quick enough, a worldwide problem which was not the fault of anyone here. The hope was that they were going to test far more and when they realised that wasn't possible they said the criteria was too wide. Ideally we would have been testing far more. I can't stand the dishonesty since the testing started. There's been loads of spin around it and it would have been far better to have been more open and hon est. People would have been more understanding than they think I would say.

The criteria was too wide. At the time around 94% of results were negative.
    Anyone and everyone could request a test if they told their GP they had symtoms. GPs were doing triage of patients over the phone, without being able to fully assess who should get a test and who shouldn't.

It sent tens of thousands of tests down the throat of our laboratory services. It was passing the buck.

Of course our labs weren't prepared. This is a completely new virus. Very few had the actual analysers, no one had the reagents, because they didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I wouldn’t.

Can someone explain what happened in Longford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I wouldn’t.

Can someone explain what happened in Longford?

• Advertisement

Looney1 wrote: »
    We hear of new grave sites, new mortuary field hospitals city west etc. Am I missing something. Do we not have this under control??

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Potential for this would have been hundreds dead per day based on Lombardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The criteria was too wide. At the time around 94% of results were negative.
    Anyone and everyone could request a test if they told their GP they had symtoms. GPs were doing triage of patients over the phone, without being able to fully assess who should get a test and who shouldn't.

It sent tens of thousands of tests down the throat of our laboratory services. It was passing the buck.

Of course our labs weren't prepared. This is a completely new virus. Very few had the actual analysers, no one had the reagents, because they didn't exist.

Let's not forget that they were being paid €30 a pop for this very technical triage. I was rounded on here at the time for saying it seemed a bit OTT for such a quick call, and reminded that this was worth it for people with 7 years training. Not doubting doctors ability, but this 'triage' was a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

that is having it under control, from what I gather the big one in west Dublin isnt being used or used much

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Portugal doing very well by any measure.

With large Spanish border, older population and big tourist turnover, I expected them to have numbers like Spain and Italy but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I hope they can continue on their positive trajectory.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/19/swift-action-kept-portugals-coronavirus-crisis-in-check-says-minister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Weird, mid March my toes flared up badly, hot, itchy, and extremely sensitive. Lasted about a week. Sore to walk, sensitive to hot water in shower, etc. Nothing else symptoms-wise, and I’ve never experienced anything like it. Still a little red but no pain at all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It is under control but a lot of people are still dying and will die, hundreds more people have died than in a typical month in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

39 more people diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland have died. There have now been 610 COVID-19 related deaths here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Deaths down considerably in France, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden,Germany, Netherlands...deaths in Europe overall down about 30% on recent weeks,could really be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

My local ice skating rink has been transformed into a makeshift morgue for weeks now, hasn't been used but they prepped it just in case.

As someone said, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Weird, mid March my toes flared up badly, hot, itchy, and extremely sensitive. Lasted about a week. Sore to walk, sensitive to hot water in shower, etc. Nothing else symptoms-wise, and I’ve never experienced anything like it. Still a little red but no pain at all now.
    Gout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wakka12 wrote: »
    Deaths down considerably in France, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden,Germany, Netherlands...could really be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now

there's another tunnel coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

redarmy wrote: »
    39 more people diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland have died. There have now been 610 COVID-19 related deaths here.

And rip to them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hopefully this is the start of a drop in new cases. What was it yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Numbers down today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Gael23 wrote: »

41 IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Next few days should be the start of a big fall off in numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Numbers down today

Hopefully this continues but numbers have always been down on Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

493 today compared to 778 yesterday if we're including the tests from Germany (which are now cleared I think?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

wakka12 wrote:
    Whats with all this 10k 15k tests day a talk for weeks now? We have not tested anywhere cose to those numbers in a single day , ever. Not thats not okay, Ireland is testing plenty, but why does HSE keep saying they will/can test such large numbers when they dont
    The problem with this is that the media use the term "testing" interchangeably when talking about swabs being taken and tests being processed in the lab.

When they say 10-15k tests a day they mean swabs taken in a day.

Irish hospital labs process samples from hospital patients and healthcare workers.
    The NVRL process samples from the community and the excess goes to Germany. I imagine and i hope that patients in residential homes will now be prioritised over patients from the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Happens every Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Why are numbers still high? We are in lockdown since March and numbers still staying high enough. Im am worried tbh. If our numbers arent dropping significantly this week i think its game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Happens every Sunday

I have to hand it to you, you always find the worst scenario possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Why are numbers still high? We are in lockdown since March and numbers still staying high enough. Im am worried tbh. If our numbers arent dropping significantly this week i think its game over.

Same thing is said every evening. Bloody tiresome at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There are no graves being dug outside of already consecrated ground in Ireland, I can promise you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The problem with this is that the media use the term "testing" interchangeably when talking about swabs being taken and tests being processed in the lab.

When they say 10-15k tests a day they mean swabs taken in a day.

Irish hospital labs process samples from hospital patients and healthcare workers.
    The NVRL process samples from the community and the excess goes to Germany. I imagine and i hope that patients in residential homes will now be prioritised over patients from the community.

They've been quite open in saying the 10k per day is lab capacity to process tests and that labs are operating under capacity, hospital labs for hospital tests, nvrl and Enfer for others along with German lab.

The HSE phrase used regardless of what media say is lab processing capacity is at x number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

wakka12 wrote: »
    Deaths down considerably in France, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden,Germany, Netherlands...deaths in Europe overall down about 30% on recent weeks,could really be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now

We have had the same comments every weekend.
    The likelihood esp with UK is the the numbers will go back up tomorrow.
    The numbers reported seem to drop a bit over the weekends.

Gout?

Gout doesn't tend to hit multiple toes. Normally the big toe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

it seems like lockdowns are working across the world - i mean they have to, you don't meet other people, you don't get infected. i'm just worried about opening back up again, which has to be done in the next few months or risk a global depression that could last a decade, whether the virus is gone or not. and it's won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

People in critical care has increased though. 294 cases in there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Stop it. Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Tippex wrote: »
    We have had the same comments every weekend.
    The likelihood esp with UK is the the numbers will go back up tomorrow.
    The numbers reported seem to drop a bit over the weekends.

Correct, the numbers dip every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Sensationalist much?

We're testing more and the higher numbers include a backlog of hundreds (thousands?) of tests of ours returning from Germany. Of course the numbers will be higher

What I'm keeping an eye on is the daily amount of people passing away from it, who aren't part of the numbers from the poor souls in the nursing homes, and the mortality %

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Game over in what sense?
    We’re on proper lockdown for coming up to 5 weeks.
    That isn’t long at all on the grand scheme of things and we’re seeing numbers decline.

They aren’t going to just drop to zero..

God knows what people are actually expecting but all signs we’re seeing are positive!

hawkelady wrote: »
    People in critical care has increased though. 294 cases in there now

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

michellie wrote: »
    Stop it. Jesus

I am asking the question. Answer it or stfu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

We need to open up again within the next month or two. Virus or no virus

A global depression lasting decades would kill more than any virus

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

How many swabs are actually processed in a day here?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement