Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Down come to cases, as predicted. I reckon we’ll see some things open before May 5th. Lock down the nursing homes, test test test and we won’t be doing too bad.

RIP to those who died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Wombatman wrote: »
    You want to give the people managing this crisis the benefit of the doubt. You want to believe they are smart people who have the countries best interests at heart.

Then you hear they are considering opening schools for one day a week.

Beyond dumb IMHO. You may as well open them every day in that case for flip sake.

If they only had 20% of the kids in school each day they could be spread out.
    It would make slightly more sense as the teachers would be the only ones doing a full week and they can be trusted to do their best not to transmit the virus.
    Even then, it just makes more sense to have them either open or closed, one day a week is the worst of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Game over in what sense?
    We’re on proper lockdown for coming up to 5 weeks.
    That isn’t long at all on the grand scheme of things and we’re seeing numbers decline.

They aren’t going to just drop to zero..

God knows what people are actually expecting but all signs we’re seeing are positive!

We have still high numbers and similar to before we went into lockdown. Nothing positive about that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

easypazz wrote: »
    I have to hand it to you, you always find the worst scenario possible.

They do drop at the weekend though? Nothing negative about it. Better to wait for proper weekday drops to look for trends.

Why are numbers still high? We are in lockdown since March and numbers still staying high enough. Im am worried tbh. If our numbers arent dropping significantly this week i think its game over.

Game over? You mean we're all going to die?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

We have still high numbers and similar to before we went into lockdown. Nothing positive about that right now.

Our daily case numbers have dropped(percentage wise)
    Put hospital admissions have dropped daily also.

Plenty of positives.

If you’re not willing to actually look The numbers (and how projections have changed over the weeks) than that’s fine, but things are moving in a good direction

Jin luk wrote: »
    How many swabs are actually processed in a day here?

Capacity for 7,000 swabs to be taken a day.

Capacity for 10,000 tests to be done a day.

As of HSE updates today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It is the case that there has been a drop on Sunday’s then much higher on Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Down come to cases, as predicted. I reckon we’ll see some things open before May 5th. Lock down the nursing homes, test test test and we won’t be doing too bad.

RIP to those who died.

Not that im a expert nor is anyone else on here but to open up before the 5th will be chancing it, see what the numbers are in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

But he's correct. Look at the daily figures. It's always a drop in numbers on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Your lack of common sense re: us having a big backlog of tests coming back is quite something

Game over? You mean we're all going to die?

Well We cant afford to lose 40 people a day to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

John.Icy wrote: »
    Capacity for 7,000 swabs to be taken a day.

Capacity for 10,000 tests to be done a day.

As of HSE updates today.

So 450 from 10000 tests?

For a virus their saying has a r0 of about 2 pretty low the whole time here somethings off.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

My bad if it came across like that, was just saying he had updated the tweet. I know it's a hse issue, said it in another post I dont know how nobody questioned the figure given this morning
    That's the nub of the issue, at least one of the journalists present should have questioned it.

Anyone can misspeak, but if it was 1,000 in the briefing notes then that's a more serious issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

They've been quite open in saying the 10k per day is lab capacity to process tests and that labs are operating under capacity, hospital labs for hospital tests, nvrl and Enfer for others along with German lab.

Hopefully thats true so.
    The term testing was and is being used in different contexts at times.

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Your lack of common sense re: us having a big backlog of tests coming back is quite something

The backlog is cleared. Did you not hear the news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Andrew00 wrote: »
    We need to open up again within the next month or two. Virus or no virus

A global depression lasting decades would kill more than any virus

:confused:

Put down the coolade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

redarmy wrote: »
    39 more people diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland have died. There have now been 610 COVID-19 related deaths here.

RIP

So 450 from 10000 tests?

For a virus their saying has a r0 of about 2 pretty low the whole time here somethings off.

That's max capacity. I'd say they were running at far less the last few days, though with thousands of nursing home staff and resident swabs to process over of the next 7-10 there's there's a chance we start seeing some big numbers in the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The backlog is cleared. Did you not hear the news?

For their duration of this lockdown that you’re saying isn’t working, we have had a backlog though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP. the 39 people who died

No we're not. Positive cases have reduced while testing has ramped up.
    How many times must it be explained that these restrictions will not eradicate the virus but will substantially slow it to allow the health service cope? The restrictions are clearly working as planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why are numbers still high? We are in lockdown since March and numbers still staying high enough. Im am worried tbh. If our numbers arent dropping significantly this week i think its game over.

497.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

We only went into restrictions on the 28th March. That’s only three weeks. We should see a drop this week and next week and restrictions being lifted on 5th May.

That's max capacity. I'd say they were running at far less the last few days, though with thousands of nursing home staff and resident swabs to process over of the next 7-10 there's there's a chance we start seeing some big numbers in the coming days.

They only started swabbing in nursing homes today can confirm this as ive a relative in 1 the numbers are way off in my eyes think they stuck an extra 0 into that 10000

Well We cant afford to lose 40 people a day to the virus.

But what are referring to when you say 'Game Over'?

So 450 from 10000 tests?

It's a while since they said R0 = 2.

They only started swabbing in nursing homes today can confirm this as ive a relative in 1 the numbers are way off in my eyes think they stuck an extra 0 into that 10000

Have swabbed around 4000 from nursing homes since Friday - thousands more to come. Your relatives home may have only been swabbed today but that doesn't mean no others have prior to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Have swabbed around 4000 from nursing homes since Friday - thousands more to come.

Its all lies I wouldn't believe a word they say

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's a while since they said R0 = 2.

In normal circumstances its that or more. i dont know where the most of yous live but life is more or less normal here apart from a bit of social distancing and no pubs open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Because some selfish gits are not adhering to the lockdown. Case in point neighbours two doors down had a mate over for a few drinks out the back Frday last, had grandparents (with English accents) over Easter weekend and there are currently several kids playing on the trampoline out their back despite them only having one kid.

Also, a lot of people, myself included, have essential jobs, and are still out and about and therefore running the risk of catching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

So 450 from 10000 tests?

A virus with a R0 of 2 is still an absolute disaster over time exponentially

Last I checked, from a statement from our government, it's at 0.7 here. Which is where it needs to stay. An R0 of 1 and below can be managed, an R0 of 2 or more and it's back to lockdown.

Or, as we have in Ireland, a "lockdown"

We only have had strict restrictions since 28th March which is just over three weeks. We are doing well and we should see a drop in hospital admissions and icu issues this week and next week. We are doing well !

Have swabbed around 4000 from nursing homes since Friday - thousands more to come. Your relatives home may have only been swabbed today but that doesn't mean no others have prior to today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0419/1132451-covid-19-nursing-homes-tests/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The rate of testing has gone up significantly. More tests, more positives.

That doesn't mean it's not improving.

Why is RTE so focused on uk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

'Challenges and solutions for addressing critical shortage of supply chain for personal and protective equipment (PPE) arising from Coronavirus disease (COVID19) pandemic - Case study from the Republic of Ireland'

Really pleased that we're looking into disinfecting/decontaminating PPE with e.g. vaporised hydrogen peroxide (as the US is doing) if needed in an emergency situation.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969720320453?via%3Dihub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

That actually says that 4000 have already been completed, if you are going to post a link at least read it.

• Advertisement

In normal circumstances its that or more. i dont know where the most of yous live but life is more or less normal here apart from a bit of social distancing and no pubs open.

No idea what you mean by that. Vivid can have R0 = 5 to 7. We were at 4.5 and now below 1.
    As for life here; for most it is severely changed.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A virus with a R0 of 2 is still an absolute disaster over time exponentially

Last I checked, from a statement from our government, it's at 0.7 here. Which is where it needs to stay. An R0 of 1 and below can be managed, an R0 of 2 or more and it's back to lockdown.

Or, as we have in Ireland, a "lockdown"

Spot on, but what if the lockdown ends and the virus is still here in small numbers the r0 is going to go straight back upto 2+ this is far from over just dont get how the number is still so low this far in somethings wrong somewhere

From your own article;

''More than 3,000 tests were done in the North Leinster region since Friday and this group was told this morning it had enough swab testing kits and personal protective equipment to carry out more than 2,000 swabs today alone. ''

''The Chief Executive of the HSE, Paul Reid, said that 4,000 tests have already been completed.''

petes wrote: »
    That actually says that 4000 have already been completed, if you are going to post a link at least read it.

Well obvs if their saying theirs a high number of positive cases form nursing home this a month or more? Its a large scale testing now every home in the country started today. Does not matter if theirs symptoms or not now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Spot on, but what if the lockdown ends and the virus is still here in small numbers the r0 is going to go straight back upto 2+ this is far from over just dont get how the number is still so low this far in somethings wrong somewhere

Stop talking ****e

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    No idea what you mean by that. Vivid can have R0 = 5 to 7. We were at 4.5 and now below 1.
    As for life here; for most it is severely changed.

4.5? and weve managed to keep it below 20000? Goodlad

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Stop talking ****e

Facts

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

kowloon wrote: »
    497.jpg

What a classic movie. Adding to the watchlist for this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Michael Dwyer

It's true though. 14 deaths reported last Sunday was way below what came before and after, same with cases.

It's not just an Irish thing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm fairly confident that they will. Even if they don't it certainly won't be game over, we'll be ok, take it one day at a time my friend

Okay, one last attempt. Restrictions will be gradually eased, not ended. Social distancing, no mass gathering etc will continue.

Still you say something's wrong but don't explain what you mean. The numbers are perfectly in line with expectations as a result of restrictions coupled with increased testing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement