Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭This is it

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Story with worldometers listing 1515 new cases for Ireland? Rte says 480.

Return of 1000+ positive tests that were sent to Germany for processing. They were added to today's figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭threeball

Strazdas wrote: »
    I do think medicine and science offers us the way out of this nightmare. Social distancing will never solve it (unless Covid mysteriously starts to retreat of its own accord)

Interesting to see what happens with antibody testing though : it seems the US and Germany intend going the mass testing route (UK too).

I agree they both do but rushed medicine is bad medicine. No one has a clue what the longer term effects could be. I'd prefer to see a successful treatment using an existing drug that significantly reduces the fatalities than a vaccine.

The antibody test will be interesting but i dont think we'll get anywhere near enough numbers to open up society again. Even partially

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Beasty wrote: »
    Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
    Somewhere in the town
    Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
    So don't you be around

Breakout!!
    Can you start linking the new thread in your last post in the previous thread? Makes it easier to transition over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

MipMap wrote: »
    Today they said they are doing about 4,000 per day. There does not seem to be a backlog given that some test centers were saying they did not have enough to do.

Cheers but i mean referrals for tests, ie the number of people per day put on the waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I didn't see the briefing but why is George Lee and other journalists in trouble for asking the correct numbers waiting on tests and results, as weeks are going on the delays are longer and increasing, is our system fceked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

nocoverart wrote: »
    Have a big shop delivery tomorrow, really mixed messaging on should you disinfect or not and what’s the best way to do it. Best to be overkill than complacent I guess.

I wouldn't be one to clean groceries. I mean like who has time for that type of cleaning sh1t.

Then I watched this:

https://youtu.be/vv9JQ0iPfgE

Its a simulation of a cough expelling the virus. In an enclosed setting with aisles.

Its pack of **** wiping down groceries because who has time for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭raclle

theballz wrote: »
    I’ve had symptoms the last week or so, today has been absolutely horrendous. It has been one of the worst days I can remember, throughout the day i would get this horrible sensation that someone pushing down on my chest. Struggling to breathe and coughing until I got sick

Have my test tomorrow morning in tallaght, i hope I am not waiting two weeks like others for results. Though I already know that I have it.

Right now the migraine is bad. I cannot sleep, when I lie down i feel like I will choke.
    TomSweeney wrote: »
    Jesus man !! get well soon !!

:(
    This is awful :( If its that bad definitely ring an ambulance. Wishing you the best of luck

speckle wrote: »
    theballz if you are still reading this thread stop. Dial your out of hours doctor. If you cannot get through Diall 999 OR 112 and let them decide what what you need to do. In some case rapid decline happens. Ring now while you can talk. Ring even if you cant and follow the instructions.
    NOW.

+ 100, ring 999 asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Washing your shopping ?

There's paranoia and there's ****ing paranoia!

Some people say you should, some say you shouldn’t. That’s my point you numpty

This is it wrote: »
    Return of 1000+ positive tests that were sent to Germany for processing. They were added to today's figures.

What's the ROI total figure of confirmed positive cases now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Washing your shopping ?
    There's paranoia and there's ****ing paranoia!

Tom. Think. Anyone getting their shopping delivered is (if they follow the advice) in a high risk category. For Example a 70 year old with a heart condition has about 35 times more chance of dying from this than a healthy 25 year old. That's 35 times not 35% - 35 times.
    That's why the Govt is so high on cocooning.

Also when you are stuck in 24/7 what else have you got to do?.
    It might help to clean off your shopping. Can't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I didn't see the briefing but why is George Lee and other journalists in trouble for asking the correct numbers waiting on tests and results, as weeks are going on the delays are longer and increasing, is our system fceked

I'm sure they're not in any trouble.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm sure they're not in any trouble.

I mean alot of negative ****e aimed at them / talked about them for asking

George was getting bashed in previous thread

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

A curious read when looking back on the original thread that started this sequence. So many people joking and some rightly (as we now know) warning of what was to come. Just a random observation.

What's the ROI total figure of confirmed positive cases now?

It's in the title of the thread... Or you could check any number of sources like the HSE website, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

not looking good in the US.

509109.PNG

The make up of the numbers were explained in the briefing but some there misheard or just didn't pick it up right and repeatedly asked questions over the differing numbers, I.e,. With and without the Germany processed positive cases. I don't think there was any need for the ridicule directed at them but journalists should be paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

MipMap wrote: »
    Tom. Think. Anyone getting their shopping delivered is (if they follow the advice) in a high risk category. For Example a 70 year old with a heart condition has about 35 times more chance of dying from this than a healthy 25 year old. That's 35 times not 35% - 35 times.
    That's why the Govt is so high on cocooning.

Also when you are stuck in 24/7 what else have you got to do?.
    It might help to clean off your shopping. Can't hurt.

If your gona worry about it just do it, even if if it's just for peace of mind. Wipe it down or remove outside packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭Christy42

froog wrote: »
    not looking good in the US.

509109.PNG

And that is pretty out of date without it having gotten better for the US

Actually what happened was that the numbers did not appear to add up.(won't go into the details cos it is all covered in the previous thread)

Problem was that Tony Holohan tried to explain it in about 50 sentences when only one would have done.
    The Journos then lost track of what he was saying so he hit them with another monologue and confused them even more.
    Thing is, If you watch CNN, or the BBC or (I guess any other news broadcaster elsewhere in the world) the only place you will find people obsessed with confirmed cases and testing is Ireland.
    This is because the panel themselves have focused attention on these issues by every day issuing these statistics and that's what the Journos focus on.

• Advertisement

Maestro85 wrote: »
    A curious read when looking back on the original thread that started this sequence. So many people joking and some rightly (as we now know) warning of what was to come. Just a random observation.

I joined in probably from the second or third thread. When I did join in, I knew this was serious. There were so many posts from posters with their heads in the sand saying it was scaremongering rubbish from others. Then there were other posts from people saying that many of us are probably rubbing our hands with glee waiting for bad news when that's not it at all. I get the sense that there's so many people here who are concerned and are rooting for Ireland to come out at the other end of this relatively unscathed and wishing the best for Ireland and beyond especially to our European neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Maestro85 wrote: »

I can remember people joking about it in work and people thinking I was mad bringing hand sanitiser in. But over Christmas I’d been reading about the Spanish flu and it put a bit of panic in me when I heard about China having this virus. I never imagined it would get this bad though. I can’t wait for the end of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

One of the most shocking images of this entire crisis is seeing New York burying its destitute dead into pits, like plague victims in 17th century London.

What does that say about the richest city in the richest country in the world in the 21st century, or more pertinently about the evolution of a country's leadership?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

nocoverart wrote: »
    Have a big shop delivery tomorrow, really mixed messaging on should you disinfect or not and what’s the best way to do it. Best to be overkill than complacent I guess.

Would be easy to put on gloves and remove and bin any outer packaging such as on fruit or cereal boxes, variety packets of crisps and chocolates remove them from the larger packet. Then I mean there’s just the tins and milk carton which you could disinfect for peace of mind.

This is it wrote: »
    It's in the title of the thread... Or you could check any number of sources like the HSE website, etc.

8089 the title here is fully correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

owlbethere wrote: »
    I joined in probably from the second or third thread. When I did join in, I knew this was serious. There were so many posts from posters with their heads in the sand saying it was scaremongering rubbish from others. Then there were other posts from people saying that many of us are probably rubbing our hands with glee waiting for bad news when that's not it at all. I get the sense that there's so many people here who are concerned and are rooting for Ireland to come out at the other end of this relatively unscathed and wishing the best for Ireland and beyond especially to our European neighbours.

I agree wholeheartedly. I am just thinking back on last week. On here and with my mates, work colleagues they were all saying the restrictions will be eased off. They can't keep up the lock down... other countries are easing their restrictions and so on yet the posters on here where analytically pointing out the unlikelihood of that happening and the need for extended restrictions. Yet they are lambasted as doomsayers that get off on it.

I had a meeting with the upper echelon bosses today and they have said our sector (tourism and hospitality) will be the last to be opened back up and they don't expect the beginning of "trying to get back to normal" phase happening until July and that is the best case scenario in my opinion. I wish I came across these threads back in January but hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I can remember people joking about it in work and people thinking I was mad bringing hand sanitiser in. But over Christmas I’d been reading about the Spanish flu and it put a bit of panic in me when I heard about China having this virus. I never imagined it would get this bad though. I can’t wait for the end of this.

I remember being told hand sanitizer was not necessary and soap and water
    was all you needed. I remember being told this disease could not be transmitted by aerosol, only by sneezing or coughing. Cat's and dogs could not transmit it.

I'm not sure of this but did they not say in the early stages of AIDS that the blood supply was safe?

I'm just after thinking about something else, probably miner, but potentially a new way of spreading the virus especially for those who are asymptomatic. Yawning!

I know when I yawn, I cover my mouth with my hand. If I was infected, I could end up with virus on my hand from spit or breath. Did anyone think of yawning? Will it be a case now where we will all have to start yawning into our elbows?

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    If your gona worry about it just do it, even if if it's just for peace of mind. Wipe it down or remove outside packaging.

The consultant on the AMA described cleaning his shopping. He said he lets them sit for a good while and then wearing gloves and a mask washes everything. He said he considers anywhere the groceries passed through as contaminated and that all gets cleaned too. So... Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement

8089 the title here is fully correct?

I understand this is a discussion forum but you'd be quicker checking yourself, I've no idea why you aren't.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/#april-10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement