Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Tinman22 wrote: »
    Haven't posted on this thread before ,
    But like many, I persume i've been reading it every day trying to keep up with whats going on around the country !!
    I just found a family member is infected with the virus as is thier partner they have both had positive tests .
    They are both health care workers 1 works in Donegal and the other in Derry .
    Neither of them informed other family members , which I suppose is their own choice but would have been nice to be informed..
    The one in donegal is off work as you would expect but the 1 in Derry is still working as usual while showing symptoms !!!!
    They work as a community nurse and are calling with sick people in thier homes all day ,
    I think this is absolutly scandalous we are couped up in our homes unable to go to work while somebody who is knowingly infected is travelling around from house to house meeting sick people , they were told by their superiors that they had to turn up for work knowing that they had a positive test so it is obviously policy for NHS to have infected nurses still on the job spreading this bloody virus all around the community....

I was on board with these restrictions and lockdown I thought it was the best thing to do to slow the virus down and hopefully save as many people as we can.
    Now I just dont know it seems like absloute madness what is going on across the border.. I live in Donegal very close to the border so this is on my door step , this seems so at odds with me queing out side a mostly empty shop waiting for my turn to grab a few essential items and head home for another day looking at the same 4 walls just crazy !!!

I just needed to vent as we really cant believe what is going on ?! My own mother is in a community hospital at the minute in donegal I was talking to her yesterday I asked about things in there as we obviously aren't allowed to vist she was telling me nobody is wearing masks neither paitents or staff and I was annoyed about this last night but now im dumbfounded by the carry on in the north with infected nurses working away in the community....

I can't imagine how you must worry about you mum

Any reports of people in this country getting infected again or relapsing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

CucaFace wrote: »
    We wont need a to wait for a vaccine IMO.

I think the route back to a nearly normal life will be ....

Good post. I hope you're 100% right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭spookwoman

But like many, I persume i've been reading it every day trying to keep up with whats going on around the country !!
    I just found a family member is infected with the virus as is thier partner they have both had positive tests .
    Neither of them informed other family members , which I suppose is their own choice but would have been nice to be informed..
    The one in donegal is off work as you would expect but the 1 in Derry is still working as usual while showing symptoms !!!!
    They work as a community nurse and are calling with sick people in thier homes all day ,
    I think this is absolutly scandalous we are couped up in our homes unable to go to work while somebody who is knowingly infected is travelling around from house to house meeting sick people , they were told by their superiors that they had to turn up for work knowing that they had a positive test so it is obviously policy for NHS to have infected nurses still on the job spreading this bloody virus all around the community....

I was on board with these restrictions and lockdown I thought it was the best thing to do to slow the virus down and hopefully save as many people as we can.
    Now I just dont know it seems like absloute madness what is going on across the border.. I live in Donegal very close to the border so this is on my door step , this seems so at odds with me queing out side a mostly empty shop waiting for my turn to grab a few essential items and head home for another day looking at the same 4 walls just crazy !!!

I just needed to vent as we really cant believe what is going on ?! My own mother is in a community hospital at the minute in donegal I was talking to her yesterday I asked about things in there as we obviously aren't allowed to vist she was telling me nobody is wearing masks neither paitents or staff and I was annoyed about this last night but now im dumbfounded by the carry on in the north with infected nurses working away in the community....

Surely if this was nhs policy there would be other stories, could be just a bast*rd supervisor pulling a fast one or your relative is telling porkies. They can't fire someone if sick and they don't come in.
    I did see something about nhs phone operators from agency staff barely getting win wage and keep working because of sick pay but that was cleared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

As someone who lives and works in Northern Ireland I can assure you that anyone with even minor symtpoms is told to self isolate whether they have been tested or not. If they have received a positive test then they absolutely should not be at work. I have friends in the NHS who have tested positive up here and that is exactly what they have been told.

Either this is a very localised problem with your family member's superiors, in which case it should be called out, or you have got the wrong end of the stick. But it absolutely is not the policy of the NHS for infected NHS staff to be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tinman22

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's madness. Have you tried contacting the media about this?

I have only just found out about this in the last few hours but have sent a similar message to our local radio station .
    As I really am in total disbelief at the actions of the NHS in bringing nurses to work whilst sick and showing symptoms nevermind after having a positive test ....

How is it ripping through the nursing homes, infecting all residents, even with trained professional medical staff carrying it in; and not wiping out Lidl, Tesco, Aldi, Supervalue, Luas commuters, and much more?

The only reason I can think of is that it HAS already infected the supermarkets, and a large portion of the population, but hasn't caused them to go down sick.

There is no lightening rod vector striking the nursing homes.

People blame the staff but that's rubbish because the virus has struck everywhere.

It's just that the nursing homes are full of people who are unable to fight it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

To me this clapping thing in Hospitals and elsewhere is stupid.

It's a good to move air around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How do nursing homes not have this problem with flu in normal years? Flu is obviously quite infectious and kills about 1-2% of people over 70 who get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

How the f*ck do they not know if you get get re-infected with this virus?

Has there been anyone in Irelands who's got the virus, recovered and then got it again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

wakka12 wrote: »
    How do nursing homes not have this problem with flu in normal years? Flu is obviously quite infectious and kills about 1-2% of people over 70 who get it

BECAUSE. THIS. IS. NOTHING. LIKE. THE. FLU.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Something called a flu jab

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Andrew00 wrote: »

Has there been anyone in Irelands who's got the virus, recovered and then got it again

This thing hasn't been going around for long enough to know for sure. Obviously if reinfection happened on a bigger scale, then there would be more reports of that happening. Since there hasn't been many, it seems more likely you don't get it twice. But since it's not certain, "herd immunity" projects like the one in Sweden are risky.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Andrew00 wrote: »

Because it's too early in the game. While there have been reports of people getting reinfected and even dying the second time they caught it, they haven't been able to find out for certain, YET, whether the people who caught it, tested negative, and then positive again, were actually reinfected, whether they caught a different strain, whether the negative tests were false negatives or whether the virus had gone latent and then re-emerged. Also, this is (again, TBC, maybe it's not) the first wave, how can you know if you're immune to it the second time around if the second time hasn't arrived yet? And how can they know if the antibodies stick around or if they disappear in time, when this virus has been around for literally a matter of months?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

fritzelly wrote: »
    Something called a flu jab

The flu jab can be quite ineffective some years offering as little as 20-30% protection.

A flu jab that is considered good is only something like 60% effective.

The flu jab can be quite ineffective some years offering as little as 20-30% protection.

A flu jab that is considered good is only something like 60% effective.

And it's only effective for certain strains, not for all, and not everybody can actually avail of it (for health reasons). There are drugs that do offer some protection against certain strains of flu, but not all - e.g. amantadine, which is used to treat Parkinson's and, off-label, to "wake" people in a minimal conscious state.

New Home wrote: »
    BECAUSE. THIS. IS. NOTHING. LIKE. THE. FLU.

I know but flu is also a very dangerous disease for elderly people and if it gets into nursing homes it would likely kill quite a lot of residents as well but you never hear of stories like that happening with flu

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I know but flu is also a very dangerous disease for elderly people and if it gets into nursing homes it would likely kill quite a lot of residents as well but you never hear of stories like that happening with flu

Because this is not the flu.

The fact that you don't hear about it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Ever heard on the news of Clostridium Difficile infections in hospitals?

Anyone watching the One World concert - the bits I've seen have been naff, especially Paul McCartney at the moment

• Advertisement

tenor.gif?itemid=9063972

(the old Gifs are still the best)

Anyone watching the One World concert - the bits I've seen have been naff, especially Paul McCartney at the moment

I wasn't even aware it was on, it didn't appear once today on any of my Social timelines

Is it big league singers doing a Live Aid type of thing, except from their living rooms and kitchens?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I wasn't even aware it was on, it didn't appear once today on any of my Social timelines

Is it big league singers doing a Live Aid type of thing, except from their living rooms and kitchens?

Lots of big names but it aint Live Aid

Elton John on now - sounding like he doesn't have his teeth in

• Registered Users Posts: 36,000 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lots of big names but it aint Live Aid

Elton John on now - sounding like he doesn't have his teeth in

Just started my first watch of Succession here Fitz. Have a good one

Deaths in Cameroon double from 20 to 42

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

California becomes the 7th state to join the daily triple digit fatality club in the US. 106 deaths so far yesterday, the bulk in LA.

The governor has said no sporting, cultural events or mass gatherings of any kind will be allowed for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone who tries to speak the truth on this thread is silenced.

Pure c*nts on this thread.

And I don’t need to be told not to post again cause I’ve removed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Now the pantomime president says China should face consequences if they were "knowingly responsible"

What does that even mean?

I ask because he concedes that "a mistake is a mistake" so he's not referring to a mistake when he uses the term "knowingly responsible"

Hell, I don't even know if I'm "knowingly responsible"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Deaths in Cameroon double from 20 to 42

104 new deaths so far in Mexico. Almost double from yesterday, and that was the highest so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement