Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

US2 wrote: »
    9th highest death rate in the world. What are we doing wrong

Reporting the real figures

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I am getting the impression that the abandonment of nursing homes could be a big story over the next few months. We've seen cases abroad of it happening wide scale.

The amount of Nursing home jobs I have seen advertised on the likes of indeed over the just few weeks would suggest staffing levels are very very low

• Registered Users Posts: 82,425 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

US2 wrote: »
    9th highest death rate in the world. What are we doing wrong

Nursing homes.

Subtract those figures and we are doing good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

But nursing homes are part of the figure, so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Michael Dwyer

Strazdas wrote: »
    Sunday Indo and MoS report there are definite plans to ease the restrictions on May 5th

There may be plans but whether they'll be implemented depends on what the numbers are in 10 days time.

If they didn't have plans you'd question what they were doing!

• Advertisement
    M

wakka12 wrote: »
    But nursing homes are part of the figure, so

Yes 45% of figures, little or no control possible once they get infected as they are not hospitals, once a worker or visitor bring it in you are looking at complete spread througout the location.

Nursing homes.

Subtract those figures and we are doing good.

If you took away December 2010 the winter of 2010/2011 was unremarkable and mild.

Apart from the area around the twin towers New York didn't suffer much from a terrorist attack on 11 September 2001.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-cavan-worst-affected-county-outside-of-dublin-latest-figures-suggest-1.4232591

Map of cases per capita in Ireland

Dublin most affected by far, but then Cavan number two bizarrely not far behind Dublin in cases per capita. Then Westmeath which also has a lot of cases.
    Then in very distant 4th,5th,6th,7th position are Louth,Kildare, Monaghan and Wicklow.

All other counties have a very low number of cases per capita including Cork.

Dublin now has almost 7000 confirmed cases

M

If you took away December 2010 the winter of 2010/2011 was unremarkable and mild.

Apart from the area around the twin towers New York didn't suffer much from a terrorist attack on 11 September 2001.

The country is in lockdown and all visits to nursing homes have been banned for about a month but nearly half the deaths in this country are people living in nursing homes, that's my point.

• Advertisement

The country is in lockdown and all visits to nursing homes have been banned for about a month but nearly half the deaths in this country are people living in nursing homes, that's my point.

I know but they are part of society and their numbers are human beings who should be counted the same as any other deaths. And 55% deaths outside nursing homes is still a figure of over 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

One person infected becomes contagious after 10 days or so and infects another 5, 10 days or so later those 5 are contagious and infect another 25...

The length of time the lockdown as been in operation is irrelevant - the only way this could have been prevented is mass testing in the homes to catch infected people quickly and isolate them among many other measures that could have been taken like not mixing staff between homes

M

I know but they are part of society and their numbers are human beings who should be counted the same as any other deaths. And 55% deaths outside nursing homes is still a figure of over 300.

I know they are but what can Joe The Plumber do about it, clearly the government fooked up royally and will be sued for their negligence over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Strazdas wrote: »
    Sunday Indo and MoS report there are definite plans to ease the restrictions on May 5th

Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face.

I know they are but what can Joe The Plumber do about it, clearly the government fooked up royally and will be sued for their negligence over it.

Joe the Plumber was never at fault.

It's government as you rightly say. But we can't, as a country, say we're doing well. Individuals, I'm sure you are one, are doing their bit, the vast majority. Staff in supermarkets, the health service etc, all staying at home.

It's old ground but the Italian rugby gang, lack of Cheltenham clarity, slowness in stopping flights that let too much Covid in. Oh the Simons and Leo look serious and talk the talk but were slow out of the traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face.

These last few days at work (a tourism site) was very quiet but there is a noticeable increase in people visiting from around the county the last 2 days. Those I have interacted with have this attitude of "things are better and we have it beaten" and any words of caution they hear is dismissed because the government has said so by easing restrictions in early May (their words and attitude I have experiences). I truly hope that the minority, and they are a minority, of Irish people flaunting the restrictions are correct because I can't face another wave/spike of this nonsense again.

M

Have we any cases of supermarket staff here infected? I'm very surprised that I've not seen any in the media yet these workers would be currently the most exposed by far outside the healthcare sector.

A 14th passenger on the Diamond Princess has died..out of 785 affected. 7 remain in ICU, and 55 active cases. Crazy how long its been, it feels like years since that was on the news

Have we any cases of supermarket staff here infected? I'm very surprised that I've not seen any in the media yet these workers would be currently the most exposed by far outside the healthcare sector.

I haven't heard of much. A friend's wife went into isolation with a cough and temperature in a local Centra but she tested negative. I agree. They seem vulnerable.

wakka12 wrote: »
    A 14th passenger on the Diamond Princess has died..out of 785 affected. 7 remain in ICU, and 55 active cases. Crazy how long its been, it feels like years since that was on the news

The days when Diamond princess was up with the top 5 countries in terms of cases seem a long way off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

What has gone wrong in Cavan? Is it a result of the border and the late action of the British government or are other factors at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The days when Diamond princess was up with the top 5 countries in terms of cases seem a long way off...

There was, believe or not, a brief time where it might take the title :eek:

It also has it's own entire section on worldometers :eek:

M

What has gone wrong in Cavan? Is it a result of the border and the late action of the British government or are other factors at play.

I'd be thinking of people working in Dublin commuting from Cavan but not sure how relevant that is in these weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

I think it may have taken hold in the hospital and spread out from there. Cavan General Hospital is quite a big hospital and which would also serve quite a number of surrounding counties. Think the hospital was hit by a pretty severe Covid cluster and then it spread out in to the community from there. When the virus takes hold in a hospital and is not isolated very quickly its surrounding community sadly bears the brunt very quickly.

The border situation would also be a further added complication for counties like Cavan.

Speaking of worldometers, was that site big before this virus? I mean is it like a public service or some guy sitting on his couch who happened to make it big because of all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Speaking of worldometers, was that site big before this virus? I mean is it like a public service or some guy sitting on his couch who happened to make it big because of all this?

I've shamefully taken this from wikipedia but it launched in 2008 and is owned by a data company

Have a read, Kermit: https://thediplomat.com/2020/04/the-secret-to-vietnams-covid-19-response-success/?fbclid=IwAR1AS2oqPZO5UWkzySkpYyLdSnu9Z1_so2dB6C5goalPw1Tg_bo-pcHfJZc

I know it's basically impossible for you personally to accept that Vietnam, a one-party "communist" government, handled this infinitely better than Ireland. I know this because of your posts going back years. But it's real and it's true. There isn't some massive control of media here that you imagine. Within minutes of no.17 being confirmed positive, it was all over the internet and her flight itinerary and all details of every passenger were leaked online. If there was some hidden epidemic, it would be known. The government isn't rich enough to be like China or North Korea.

Your "but look at Vietnam's neighbours" nonsense a day ago really summed up how little you know of what was done here. ASEAN is not the EU. There isn't mass movement of people every day, and any there was was stopped. The idea of shutting borders is alien to you because it's impossible where you live. If I remember your posts going back years, surely you can remember mine where I was one of the only posters here apart from Klaz directly affected by it for around six or seven weeks before Ireland finally took action. The world knew what was happening. I knew what was happening. I've been out of work since January because of less than a dozen cases here. But the costs of proactive action were too great in the West. Instead, people now just blame China as if their governments were incapable of taking action. They were. Vietnam banned flights from China on the 1st Feb. Cheltenham was on the 13th March.

We here in Vietnam are not shocked that the numbers are so low, we are shocked that they are so high. 268 or whatever it was yesterday is a joke for what was done here and the impact the measures had on people's lives. Had no.17 not lied about being in Italy and had not been allowed back here, the numbers would be far lower. I've spent three months watching ineffective reactive bullshlt measures worldwide knowing it means Vietnam won't be able to open up for the rest of the year because of it.

And masks.. Jesus Christ masks. How on Earth Western governments managed to convince people they were ineffective, I'll never know, but there will be books written about it. Vietnam has on the spot fines for not wearing them and massive public shaming on social media and the news by both the government and by each other. Some Irish guy in the HSE says they don't really help you not get the virus and it's gospel.

ESEKrAMWkAETqFM?format=jpg&name=medium

Weekly unemployment claims in the USA from 1965 (y axis in thousands)...until now

GlumDelightfulBarracuda-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Have a read, Kermit: https://thediplomat.com/2020/04/the-secret-to-vietnams-covid-19-response-success/?fbclid=IwAR1AS2oqPZO5UWkzySkpYyLdSnu9Z1_so2dB6C5goalPw1Tg_bo-pcHfJZc

I know it's basically impossible for you personally to accept that Vietnam, a one-party "communist" government, handled this infinitely better than Ireland.

It’s pretty easy to understand that a communist regime will be willing and able to impose and enforce whatever rules they want in the way that no democracy will be able to. The Irish government, along with many others, can’t just blanket do whatever they want to their citizens, especially in the beginning when no one in Europe was affected and nothing was known about the virus.

And masks.. Jesus Christ masks. How on Earth Western governments managed to convince people they were ineffective, I'll never know, but there will be books written about it. Vietnam has on the spot fines for not wearing them and massive public shaming on social media and the news by both the government and by each other. Some Irish guy in the HSE says they don't really help you not get the virus and it's gospel.

How many times does it need to be said? Lack of PPE. Stay away from people and you won’t need a mask, and it can go to frontline stay who desperately need it. Of course it’s not useless and that’s not what’s being communicated, it’s just a bit obsolete if you’re only leaving the house to walk the dog.

We get it. You’re in Vietnam. You have reminded us of that about every 10 posts in the last 15 threads. Good luck, stay safe, stay sane and hope you can resume your essential TEFL work when this is all over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement