Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Lillyfae wrote: »
    It’s pretty easy to understand that a communist regime will be willing and able to impose and enforce whatever rules they want in the way that no democracy will be able to. The Irish government, along with many others, can’t just blanket do whatever they want to their citizens, especially in the beginning when no one in Europe was affected and nothing was known about the virus.

How many times does it need to be said? Lack of PPE. Stay away from people and you won’t need a mask, and it can go to frontline stay who desperately need it. Of course it’s not useless and that’s not what’s being communicated, it’s just a bit obsolete if you’re only leaving the house to walk the dog.

We get it. You’re in Vietnam. You have reminded us of that about every 10 posts in the last 15 threads. Good luck, stay safe, stay sane and hope you can resume your essential TEFL work when this is all over.

I agree with Ads though. We were absolutely told you needed a PhD to use them and that they didn't work anyway. It was never mentioned the reason to not wear them was because of shortages. That's a narrative that's been played out after the fact.

Asian countries with experience in dealing with SARS-1 and other epidemics are very proactive on asking the general population to wear them. Not to stop you from getting it but to help stop you spreading it, particularly if you are asymptomatic.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

I am getting the impression that the abandonment of nursing homes could be a big story over the next few months. We've seen cases abroad of it happening wide scale.

The amount of Nursing home jobs I have seen advertised on the likes of indeed over the just few weeks would suggest staffing levels are very very low

they pay close to minimum wage for HCA why would anyone apply when they can get maybe 50 less to sit at home . They cant get staff, same problem with the fruit picking and agri ,

We get it. You’re in Vietnam. You have reminded us of that about every 10 posts in the last 15 threads. Good luck, stay safe, stay sane and hope you can resume your essential TEFL work when this is all over.

Who Posted?
    Total Posts: 8,739
    User Name Posts
    Kermit.de.frog 246
    Ads by Google 19

I have 19 posts in this thread and was banned from most of the other ones before this. If you have an issue with me continuing to give my Vietnam perspective on things like I have for the last decade on the site, block me. If you have an issue with me pointing out that Irish people are dying not because of bat-eating man in Wuhan, but because of slow and ineffective measures by the Irish government, block me, as I will be repeatedly making this point for as long as people think that Ireland couldn't have done anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Look, you know the figures are bs for Vietnam as I do.

I'm not going to bother arguing the toss.

Here, have a giggle...

https://twitter.com/TheGlare_TM/status/1242524564011257857

I've been meaning to ask you again. Would you rather Ireland had taken Vietnam's measures or no? You never got around to answering last time for some reason.

• Advertisement

I've been meaning to ask you again. Would you rather Ireland had taken Vietnam's measures or no? You never got around to answering last time for some reason.

No I wouldn't.

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Who Posted?
    Total Posts: 8,739
    User Name Posts
    Kermit.de.frog 246
    Ads by Google 19

I have 19 posts in this thread and was banned from most of the other ones before this. If you have an issue with me continuing to give my Vietnam perspective on things like I have for the last decade on the site, block me. If you have an issue with me pointing out that Irish people are dying not because of bat-eating man in Wuhan, but because of slow and ineffective measures by the Irish government, block me, as I will be repeatedly making this point for as long as people think that Ireland couldn't have done anything about it.

Thanks Captain Hindsight, that’s just what we need. I’m sure we’re all dying for your Vietnam correspondence. But seeing as no other government or country, despite claims, have managed to contain this, I don’t see how the same criticism over and over is constructive, especially when trying to put a round democracy peg into a square communist hole.

There is more than Covid-19 sputum at play here. Shortage of equipment, IC beds, economic catastrophe, mental health, annihilation of society as we know it, to name a few.

We live in an open democracy.

An alien concept to some places I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

https://www.businessinsider.com/who-no-transmission-coronavirus-tweet-was-to-appease-china-guardian-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

Good article regarding WHO's infamous "no evidence of human-to-human transmission" tweet.

Truly an incompetent and cowardly organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

ek motor wrote: »
    https://www.businessinsider.com/who-no-transmission-coronavirus-tweet-was-to-appease-china-guardian-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

Good article regarding WHO's infamous "no evidence of human-to-human transmission" tweet.

Truly an incompetent and cowardly organisation.

You will do well to find any decision makers who are responsible for reacting to this that haven’t made mistakes.

We have made plenty here in Ireland, the administrators of both countries either side of us have made far greater mistakes, and in some instances continue to do so.

This pandemic is a first for all involved, the scale and spread has never been seen before. It’s inevitable that mistakes will be made.

The amount of hindsight “experts” that will crawl out of the woodwork in the next few months proclaiming a load of “I told you so” and if only you listened to me bullshyt is going to be sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

You will do well to find any decision makers who are responsible for reacting to this that haven’t made mistakes.

We have made plenty here in Ireland, the administrators of both countries either side of us have made far greater mistakes, and in some instances continue to do so.

This pandemic is a first for all involved, the scale and spread has never been seen before. It’s inevitable that mistakes will be made.

The amount of hindsight “experts” that will crawl out of the woodwork in the next few months proclaiming a load of “I told you so” and if only you listened to me bullshyt is going to be sickening.

Well said, nobody was prepared for the scale of this especially our little country and have had to react with little time for thought, decisions being made that would normally take months in hours , some good , some bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I find it interesting to hear from other places like Vietnam, about what is going on. And teaching English as a foreign language is as good a work as any other. Might do it meself some day. It would be interesting to get regular reports from anywhere, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil, Ecuador, Iceland, Sweden, India, Africa, anywhere. And masks protect people. They are an ancient and instinctive mechanism for protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

zinfandel wrote: »
    Well said, nobody was prepared for the scale of this especially our little country and have had to react with little time for thought, decisions being made that would normally take months in hours , some good , some bad.

I am not sure about that. Or perhaps it was fear of looking like chicken lickens that hamstrung people. Way back when I started to hear about Wuhan in January I got really bad vibes. But once Italy started every person in authority should have had a fire in their pants and been rushing into gearing up. But that did not happen antwhere near the pace it should have. Right now is a lot better. In my work I have contact with public bodies and safety organisations and even up to one week before "lock down" their responses were laughably weak. There were many who had the safety of others within their remit but who reacted with a hard chaw kind of disdain. There was even bullying from those higher up the food chain. That was what I saw. Sure, it is anecdotal.

Gynoid wrote: »
    I find it interesting to hear from other places like Vietnam, about what is going on. And teaching English as a foreign language is as good a work as any other. Might do it meself some day. It would be interesting to get regular reports from anywhere, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil, Ecuador, Iceland, Sweden, India, Africa, anywhere. And masks protect people. They are an ancient and instinctive mechanism for protection.

Not only reports, but in the debates about relaxation of restrictions travel is going to be key, and allowing international travel from countries such as the UK and USA is a major consideration.

What Brazil are doing is going to be interesting also.

Thanks Captain Hindsight, that’s just what we need. I’m sure we’re all dying for your Vietnam correspondence.

Hindsight implies something is over. It's not. Simple things could be enacted that would make it less likely that my parents get it. If you aren't dying for correspondence from countries having some success with certain measures, you're just dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

threeball wrote: »
    Well there are 3 distinct strains of the virus. Its possible one of them only mutated in 2020. Maybe the Ugandans are ahead of the game.

I thinks there are enough questions regarding Covid-19 without introducing Covid-20 into the mix.

Is Covid-20 a recognised virus?

Extraordinary

20200414_CovidweeklydeathsNYv3.jpg

Nothing to do with 'hindsight'.

China knew about human-to-human transmission at the time, and to be fair the WHO's Dr Maria Van Kerkhove did try to warn about the impending pandemic . The point is they issued the 'no evidence of human-to-human transmission' tweet in order to appease the CCP.

China knew about human-to-human transmission at the time, and to be fair the WHO's Dr Maria Van Kerkhove did try to warn about the impending pandemic . The point is they issued the 'no evidence of human-to-human transmission' tweet in order to appease the CCP.

And they later changed their position on it. Just like other countries have changed their position on travel, face masks, therapeutics, restrictions etc etc.

Let the organisation that made no mistake berate them for that mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

spot on. Taiwan had clear evidence of h2h transmission and sent research to WHO they ignored it.
    once it got bad all flights internally in China were stopped but flights to rest of the world continued.
    i now genuinely think China not only did not care it spread to eu us. but wanted it to happen. i.e if we are fkd we are at a disadvantage so fk it lets fk rest of world up to so they dont have advantage the ccp are batsht crazy enough to do this imo

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

South Korea reports just 8 new cases, the first time in two months for single digit new cases.
    South Korea was the worst affected country after China at one time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-single-digit-new-cases-in-south-korea-for-first-time-since-february-1.4232622

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I am getting the impression that the abandonment of nursing homes could be a big story over the next few months. We've seen cases abroad of it happening wide scale.

The amount of Nursing home jobs I have seen advertised on the likes of indeed over the just few weeks would suggest staffing levels are very very low

I'd love to know where the money goes in these homes, you pay 1k or more a week as a resident and staff get paid buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Extraordinary

20200414_CovidweeklydeathsNYv3.jpg

That blue lines for 2020 will be close to 0

Come the end of the year will be interesting to see the cumulative count of the black one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

With less than 10 new Covid-19 cases reported in South Korea, let's do what they did to bring it to this amazing level. Hint: It will involve more testing.

Also, with zero deaths reported in Thailand today, I am officially requesting that when the lock down is over in Ireland, that the Government sends us all on a free holiday there for a couple of weeks. (Us all = those of us who played by the rules during the lock down).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Any word on Best Korea's leader li'l Kim ? apparently he has not attended some events he normally would have? if he caught the virus it wouldn't be kind to his metabolically challenged fat ass

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Discodog wrote: »

Jesus.
    A sniper wouldn't take her out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Be right back

Jesus.
    A sniper wouldn't take her out.

And she says she is in her 30s! What a life to lead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement