Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

snowcat wrote: »
    We are below 1 on the R value. ICU occupancy is around 130 at the moment down from 160 so we should be ok there. Admissions are also down. We need to see some reduction in cases and we should be good to go. We need to get the economy moving asap

I think we will see a reopening of key economic drivers from next month. The building trade will be back on sites etc. Pubs and the like will probably start reopening come june/ July.

This thing is nearly behind. Id expect the next 2 weeks to really kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Prophet of doom, why do you doubt pubs and restaurants won't open? People will get **** sick of being kept in lockdown and will let the politicians know this. And as everybody is aware, politicians just love to be popular.

Why do you think? The virus would spread like hell through a pub environment. Physical distancing almost impossible to guarantee in a pub environment especially after a few drinks. I think the pubs will be the very last thing to open. Maybe not this year or even next year. Completely dependent on vaccine in my opinion.

Restaurants may open later this year as physical distancing can be maintained better. Probably table service only.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

RTE's coverage of this is terrible - charts are worthless unless we can read them.

And RTE arent stupid. So Joe soaps not being able to read them would be completely intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

From Steven Swinford Deputy Political Editor, The Times:

Professor Sarah Gilbert, who is leading work on developing a vaccine at Oxford University, says that people who get the virus could be reinfected

'The coronavirus itself is very good at not leaving a strong immune memory'

BUT she says that the vaccination could last longer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

wadacrack wrote: »
    Follow Austria . This will give an indication of what Ireland will do. ALL European countries will follow the same protocol . Slowly open back up when numbers are low enough for the healthcare system to function. Test, trace, isolate any exciting outbreaks

Yep, all eyes on Austria and Denmark's numbers over the next two weeks. If they stay low then that will be good news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Azatadine wrote: »
    Why do you think? The virus would spread like hell through a pub environment. Physical distancing almost impossible to guarantee in a pub environment especially after a few drinks. I think the pubs will be the very last thing to open. Maybe not this year or even next year. Completely dependent on vaccine in my opinion.

Restaurants may open later this year as physical distancing can be maintained better. Probably table service only.

If we have the virus under control we'll be good to go for a pint. Dont be worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

jibber5000 wrote: »
    I think the default is to base performances on the tone of the leader - Trump brash vs Leo sombre and thoughtful.

When you look closer and take out his pompous declarations, he's acted pretty well. The travel ban has been well discussed but it was a proactive move that saved lives. He also refused to give New York the 40,000 ventilators they said they needed. The correct number turned out to be under 10,000.

Our government let air travel come unabated from a highly infective region. Allowed the numbers of dead in nursing homes to reach almost 40% of the total and presided over a shambles of a testing system that had healthcare workers waiting 14 days for test results in some cases.

Trump has made a bad situation worse in USA.

Communication couldn’t be worse, have you watched his press briefings? His own advisers regularly have to correct his uniformed lies. That’s actually the best you can say as he’s been using them not to educate the nation but as an electoral platform.

The decision to ban flights to China wasn’t a blanket ban but equally there is a lot to suggest it was an opportunistic decision to have a go at China As opposed to it being a genius move. In short , it’s a decision that looks better now only because of what’s happened, not out of some insightful leadership.

Trump has shown no leadership qualities and done very little to help the USA in anything other then trying to paint a picture that it’s not so bad.

Trump is promoting that states open up and that people rise up against the lockdowns. How can you suggest he’s doing anywhere near a decent job comparable to anybody! USA is probably on course to be the worst affected country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Not just supporting them actually encouraging them and more in other states as well. This buffoon is not fit to hold office and should be removed ASAP.

I hear that big orange toxic white male tycoon has actually given individual states the green light to decide if they remain in lockdown or not! How dare he. The US needs Hillary Clinton now more than ever, at least she is sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Test and trace worked well in Asian countries. Why reinvent the wheel. If we lag other European countries by a week or two, we can learn from their experiences and adjust accordingly.

Reinvent the Wheel? What I described is basically the approach taken in Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Reinvent the Wheel? What I described is basically the approach taken in Asia

I was agreeing with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I hear that big orange toxic white male tycoon has actually given individual states the green light to decide if they remain in lockdown or not! How dare he. The US needs Hillary Clinton now more than ever, at least she is sane.

He had no choice legally. But in 'granting' them permission he now has someone else to blame. The governors opened up too soon, too late, blah blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Drumpot wrote: »
    Trump has made a bad situation worse in USA.

Communication couldn’t be worse, have you watched his press briefings? His own advisers regularly have to correct his uniformed lies. That’s actually the best you can say as he’s been using them not to educate the nation but as an electoral platform.

The decision to ban flights to China wasn’t a blanket ban but equally there is a lot to suggest it was an opportunistic decision to have a go at China As opposed to it being a genius move. In short , it’s a decision that looks better now only because of what’s happened, not out of some insightful leadership.

Trump has shown no leadership qualities and done very little to help the USA in anything other then trying to paint a picture that it’s not so bad.

Trump is promoting that states open up and that people rise up against the lockdowns. How can you suggest he’s doing anywhere near a decent job comparable to anybody! USA is probably on course to be the worst affected country in the world.

Nobody said it was insightful leadership. But he did it and that's part of the reason that the vast majority of states have low infection rates.

It's going to be worse because of sheer population and accurate reporting. Per capita as I've said earlier it's right beside us.

Again most states have seen the peak of the curve. Should they all stay shut because of new York?

Have you seen the unemployment numbers? If you think a continued shut down won't destroy millions of lives you're delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Amazing comment, 110% with you bruv. Pubs should not open for at least another year. People want to have fun at a time like this when the grim reaper is stalking the country. Come on ffs, have they no shame?

Nope he was informed that he doesn't have the power to decide if they will or not because he didn't go down the federal route and show up his leadership.
    So he's going on Twitter and having a huff as usual promoting people carrying guns on protests.

Hillary is a c`nt but a lot of American folks I work with would prefer to have her in the white house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Can you not have table service in a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Nobody said it was insightful leadership. But he did it and that's part of the reason that the vast majority of states have low infection rates.

It's going to be worse because of sheer population and accurate reporting. Per capita as I've said earlier it's right beside us.

Again most states have seen the peak of the curve. Should they all stay shut because of new York?

Have you seen the unemployment numbers? If you think a continued shut down won't destroy millions of lives you're delusional.

The States as far as I know are not included deaths in Nursing homes. Most countries have different reporting methods for deaths so the death rate per million is not an accurate barometer. Belgium for instance is showing a very high death rate per million but will possibly revise that down as they are including suspected cases as well.

bilston wrote: »
    Yep, all eyes on Austria and Denmark's numbers over the next two weeks. If they stay low then that will be good news.

Just trying to think about potential good news scenarios That allows the world to adapt pending a vaccine:

— better understanding and techniques to manage virus in advance of vaccine
    — healthcare systems able to manage infected (herd immunity strategies)
    — immunity in infected people who have recovered
    — effective social distancing
    — effective compliance from populations
    — Information That Shows lower CFR (Closer to flu) then thought which would equally mean that a lot more people have been infected then we think
    — better global relations (unlikely while Trump is in office, he needs scapegoats for his handling of this)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I think we should remain in lockdown for at least six months. I don't even think it go's far enough, everyone can exercise at home, people should only be left out once a week for a four hour shopping window, that's plenty. Also the last time I was clapping and woohooing out my landing window for our amazing Healthcare Heros I noticed that some of my neighbours were no longer doing so. I am keeping an eye out to see what they are up to, to see if they are still following the rules.

You obviously don’t need to earn any money to put bread on the table, or maybe you’re in a nice cushy government job or government supported job where you get full pay indefinitely even if you don't work a day for the next six months or a year or maybe more.
    Some people need to work to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads. It’s not exercise we need, it’s an income.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Forget this year as its lost to the virus, SARS = 18yrs in the wild = NO Vaccine
    SARS Covid II is what they call this virus, there has been no vaccines made for a human corona virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Pubs and restaurants could open tomorrow. I think you will find that the people eager for these places to open will find that most of their friends will decline invitations to meet up in the pub or go for dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Pubs won't open this year or maybe next year either. Pubs, concerts etc will be the last things to come back. I doubt they will be back until a vaccine is available.

Sixteen to eighteen months away . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.newstalk.com/news/covid-19-schools-pubs-events-1002147

Simon Harris saying we'll be fúckin the children out the door to school in a few weeks time. The biggest vector of transmission is people coming to gather in large groups from all over the counties in dusty pokey classrooms. I honestly think he just says whatever sh!t comes into his thick head these days to see what sticks.

I know a few parents are probably hoping they'll get a bit of free babysitting for the sunny months (and then, free hospital treatment? And a free cremation?)

I also know a few leaving cert students refusing to come in for exams and rightly so, they are nearly epidemiologists at this stage. This guy certainly asks the right questions.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/plan-to-postpone-the-leaving-cert-dogged-by-dozens-of-unanswered-questions-1.4228625?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Regarding the schools reopening, I can only presume we're taking a leaf out of the Swedish approach, which (I'm told) has been very successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

maddog wrote: »
    Forget this year as its lost to the virus, SARS = 18yrs in the wild = NO Vaccine
    SARS Covid II is what they call this virus, there has been no vaccines made for a human corona virus.

Only because those virus effectively blew themselves out, the market needs a market the market wasn't big enough so all work on vaccines ended. Which just goes to show how public health needs looking after by the state and not private enterprise.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/scientists-were-close-coronavirus-vaccine-years-ago-then-money-dried-n1150091

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I’m in agreement with you. There is talk of schools reopening one day a week. I’m curious as to why a pub would be any different to a classroom. Is it not just as stupid to propose pubs open one day a week. Schools are mass gatherings and in the case of primary schools a lot of the children will not fully understand what is happening, not be as vigilant with all the precautions. I’m baffled by how this is part of Harris’ proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Jibber has a point here. America is doing well with it so far.

A continued lockdown there will lead to a severe global depression.

It must be balanced and there will be no return to normal.

Ah would you Trump getting something right for the wrong reasons is not something that can be used to defend his awful handling of this crisis.

So the US states are different from the rest of the world because what exactly? Why are they ready to open up? Who is saying that? Reputable People in the field or politicians?

What has unemployment numbers got to do with stopping the virus? So the USA is gonna open up because it’s not capable of protecting its most vulnerable and people have to work or die. That’s not a country I would be holding up as a positive benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You're looking at a point in time there and drawing a conclusion way too early. US cases are growing faster then ours which will mean more ICU cases and sadly more deaths. They are being lead towards a cliff if lockdown measures arent being coordinated across the various states that share borders etc. They have also effectively not ramped up testing in many states so the chances are theres a lot of spread thats not being caught. In that regard we are doing a much better job.

I dont think its actually growing that much faster than Ireland. USA has the same number of deaths per capita as us pretty consistently for the last few days even weeks now.

But then again, theres two sides to the situation in the US. Case and deaths in New York are like 10x times higher than Ireland,much higher than Ireland in Boston, New Orleans, New Jersey as well, but in many other states they are probably many less cases occurring than in Ireland, just the average of those two situations is the same as Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Follow Austria . This will give an indication of what Ireland will do. ALL European countries will follow the same protocol . Slowly open back up when numbers are low enough for the healthcare system to function. Test, trace, isolate any exciting outbreaks

Yes watch our government and advisory team follow the likes of Austria ,Denmark etc regarding lifting of restrictions.

It’s a pity that they couldn’t follow what was happening in Italy ,Spain regarding nursing homes ,care homes and elderly in general.

It was there in front of them but they dropped the ball and were two weeks late protecting these environments when they had probably three weeks prior notice and clear facts available from countries two weeks ahead of ours.

It’s shocking what happened and there seems to be a bit of backtracking and covering up now.

RIP to all those lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

polesheep wrote: »
    Once you realise that paddygreen is trolling, he's actually entertaining.

Trolling or not, there are many people saying the same thing. One teacher I know says that she doesn’t care if the schools are closed till Christmas. It’s well for her, she gets full pay for doing nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement