Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Getting the clap, or giving it?

My landing window is actually a good vantage point of observation over my estate. When the clapping started everyone was out except the essential workers and the healthcare heros who were at the front line of the War on Coronavirus. I have noticed the clapping dropping off, I am keeping an eye out for unauthorised activity and I am keeping ba special eye on those who won't clap. I clap and woohoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

This might have been asked before, but this forum is moving so quick it's hard to keep up.

Has our backlog now been cleared?

And are all the tests now coming back from Germany as up to date with the confirmed cases in Irish labs?

So basically, at which point can we start taking Irish confirmed and German confirmed cases as one figure?

Or are the cases still coming back from the German labs still part of the backlog?

Take a look at Paul Reid article on RTE website from yesterday, though some of the figures are hard to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

growleaves wrote: »
    wakka12,

Flu deaths are also packed into short stints.

We went over this last week remember? The important thing is the length of the epidemic. If we are peaking or have peaked then there aren't going to be tens of millions of corpses with or without economic embargoes.

When I see people trying to explain stuff on boards to other posters it always reminds of this

Screenshot-20200419-130533.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

from a UK page, but most of the issues are the same...

It’s not confusing at all ��
    As we enter the next 3 weeks of lockdown, here is a summary of the advice:
    1. You MUST NOT leave the house for any reason, but if you have a reason, you can leave the house
    2. Masks are useless at protecting you against the virus, but you may have to wear one because it can save lives, but they may not work, but they may be mandatory, but maybe not
    3. Shops are closed, except those shops that are open
    4. You must not go to work but you can get another job and go to work
    5. You should not go to the Drs or to the hospital unless you have to go there, unless you are too poorly to go there
    6. This virus can kill people, but don’t be scared of it. It can only kill those people who are vulnerable or those people who are not vulnerable people. It’s possible to contain and control it, sometimes, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster
    7. Gloves won't help, but they can still help so wear them sometimes or not
    8. STAY HOME, but it's important to go out
    9. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarkets, but there are many things missing. Sometimes you won’t need loo rolls but you should buy some just in case you need some
    10. The virus has no effect on children except those children it effects
    11. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…
    12. Stay 2 metres away from tigers (see point 11)
    13. You will have many symptoms if you get the virus, but you can also get symptoms without getting the virus, get the virus without having any symptoms or be contagious without having symptoms, or be non contagious with symptoms...
    14. To help protect yourself you should eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have on hand as it's better not to go out shopping
    15. It's important to get fresh air but don't go to parks but go for a walk. But don’t sit down, except if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant or if you’re not old or pregnant but need to sit down. If you do sit down don’t eat your picnic
    16. Don’t visit old people but you have to take care of the old people and bring them food and medication
    17. If you are sick, you can go out when you are better but anyone else in your household can’t go out when you are better unless they need to go out
    18. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house. These deliveries are safe. But groceries you bring back to your house have to be decontaminated outside for 3 hours including Pizza...
    19. You can't see your older mother or grandmother, but they can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver
    20. You are safe if you maintain the safe social distance when out but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance
    21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours ... or four hours... six hours... I mean days, not hours... But it needs a damp environment. Or a cold environment that is warm and dry... in the air, as long as the air is not plastic
    22. Schools are closed so you need to home educate your children, unless you can send them to school because you’re not at home. If you are at home you can home educate your children using various portals and virtual class rooms, unless you have poor internet, or more than one child and only one computer, or you are working from home. Baking cakes can be considered maths, science or art. If you are home educating you can include household chores to be education. If you are home educating you can start drinking at 10am
    23. If you are not home educating children you can also start drinking at 10am
    24. The number of corona related deaths will be announced daily but we don't know how many people are infected as they are only testing those who are almost dead to find out if that's what they will die of… the people who die of corona who aren’t counted won’t be counted
    25. You should stay in lock down until the virus stops infecting people but it will only stop infecting people if we all get infected so it’s important we get infected and some don’t get infected
    26. You can join your neighbours for a street party and turn your music up for an outside disco and your neighbours won’t call the police. People in another street are allowed to call the police about your music.
    27. No business will go under due to Coronavirus except those businesses that will have already gone under.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

wadacrack wrote: »
    Young people will be too immature to realize the possible implications. Pubs would be packed and it would be chaos. Some older people would take their chances too. Their probably should be survey's on this

Exactly
    People need to be patient, we are half way through this, no need to rush up things now and **** up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm not criticising the gov here. I'm criticising your point.

You said they allowed the virus to spread to an extent before dealing with it. I'm telling you that this would mean they allowed for people to die unnecessarily.

So if you're here to praise their actions perhaps you should revise how you're doing it, because currently you're praising them whilst also saying they allowed people to die.
    My point is correct

To follow your your point to its logical conclusion, the government allow people to die everyday for all sorts of reasons besides the coronavirus, eg man dies in car accident - government allow dangerous cars on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I would of thought a fairer way of judging Sweden’s approach not be to benchmark against Norway and Finland? Among other things borders, Cultural Similarities , regional proximity are more appropriate to compare.

It’s like the New Zealand and Ireland comparisons that aren’t really ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Paddygreen wrote: »
    My landing window is actually a good vantage point of observation over my estate. When the clapping started everyone was out except the essential workers and the healthcare heros who were at the front line of the War on Coronavirus. I have noticed the clapping dropping off, I am keeping an eye out for unauthorised activity and I am keeping ba special eye on those who won't clap. I clap and woohoo.

I think the woohooing is a step too far as your spittle is dangerous and unauthorised. Do you have a little fold out chair on the landing? Mind you don't fall off it and trip down the stairs. Be careful and stay vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

My point is correct

To follow your your point to its logical conclusion, the government allow people to die everyday for all sorts of reasons besides the coronavirus, eg man dies in car accident - government allow dangerous cars on the roads

There are some notable upsides to allowing cars on the roads. It's not all death and carnage.

The same cannot be said for a killer virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

So this project manager who deals with security is changing the way the public enjoy pubs. Is this because of corona virus?
    It seems very optimistic to stop people getting drunk!

The projects manager is only trying to see if and how the vintners association recommendations can be implemented, intoxicated people don't practice social distancing.
    People are going to have to change there expectations of what a return to normality will be.
    One of the biggest challenges will be cultural changes definitely for the foreseeable future as far as pub settings go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

There are some notable upsides to allowing cars on the roads. It's not all death and carnage.

But this killer virus was going to come here, no matter what. The strategy had to be to minimise the deaths - not to allow deaths. To do that the first priority had to be flattening the curve and preparing the hospitals. if that hadn't been done then all of us, including the nursing homes, would have been swamped.

crossman47 wrote: »
    But this killer virus was going to come here, no matter what. The strategy had to be to minimise the deaths - not to allow deaths. To do that the first priority had to be flattening the curve and preparing the hospitals. if that hadn't been done then all of us, including the nursing homes, would have been swamped.

Yeah sure.

I'm in an argument here with a guy that's saying the government intentionally let it spread in the population before doing anything about it, and that they also did a good job.

I should probably know better than to get involved in these things, but here I am

If we kept the virus at zero cases in this country while every other country in the world had cases Ireland would be isolated for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm not criticising the gov here. I'm criticising your point.

You said they allowed the virus to spread to an extent before dealing with it. I'm telling you that this would mean they allowed for people to die unnecessarily.

So if you're here to praise their actions perhaps you should revise how you're doing it, because currently you're praising them whilst also saying they allowed people to die.

They did do that and it was the correct course of action.

Their aim is to minimize deaths from it, balance that out with the costs and damages to economy and society.

It's not to prevent all deaths.

Lockdown was initiated when it hit a certain level of infection or hospitalization etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

UK exit strategy has been proposed but Japan has just gone one step forward and three steps back. I don't believe we will be out by June.

According to the Daily Fail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8233761/Traffic-light-lockdown-schools-weeks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Getting the clap, or giving it?
    Paddygreen wrote: »

I was referring to herself in the caravan. But you probably knew that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

growleaves wrote: »
    By the way if covid-19 has a mortality rate 20 times greater than the flu then, even discounting for greater infectiousness, it would kill 12.5 million people in a typical year.

So far the total deaths are at 161,000 after five months.

Another completely disingenuous comparison. The figure of 161,000 does not include at least tens of thousands of deaths in homes and nursing homes in Europe, and tens of thousands of deaths in Iran either for example.The current death toll in Europe may increase by as much 30-40%. And 95% of the current global deaths occurred within the last 4 weeks, not 5 months. It doesnt take into account that widespread contagion was stopped or prevented throughout much of the globe(China, South and North Korea, Vietnam,Nepal, for example), and in the places where it is occurring(Western Europe, Eastern USA, parts of the MIddle east and South America) there is an unprecedented lockdown in place which has largely suppressed its growth.

My point is correct

I suppose most government decisions generally reflects a society and what it values, but you can’t take away all risk.

Sweden’s strategy right now does look like it’s a “we are prepared to trade off our elder/vulnerable” simply because nobody really knows the best way of handling this. Simply put, Sweden doesn’t know how their strategy is going to play out, if it was an obviously successful way of approaching the virus there would be consensus. Not just that, most countries would jump at the chance to follow Sweden’s model but decided that a more cautious approach was preferable, pending more clarity.

Regardless Of outcome, Sweden has hedged the lives of those most affected or damaged by the virus on a gamble that nobody can say with certainty will work.

Danzy wrote: »
    They did do that and it was the correct course of action.

Their aim is to minimize deaths from it, balance that out with the costs and damages to economy and society.

It's not to prevent all deaths.

Lockdown was initiated when it hit a certain level of infection or hospitalization etc.

Well in the highly unlikely event that you're correct, that's borderline criminal behaviour from the government and would lead to countless unnecessary deaths and injury.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I suppose most government decisions generally reflects a society and what it values, but you can’t take away all risk.

Sweden’s strategy right now does look like it’s a “we are prepared to trade off our elder/vulnerable” simply because nobody really knows the best way of handling this. Simply put, Sweden doesn’t know how their strategy is going to play out, if it was an obviously successful way of approaching the virus there would be consensus. Not just that, most countries would jump at the chance to follow Sweden’s model but decided that a more cautious approach was preferable, pending more clarity.

Regardless Of outcome, Sweden has hedged the lives of those most affected or damaged by the virus on a gamble that nobody can say with certainty will work.
    At the moment it looks like Sweden's approach is wrong, but time may prove it not to be any worse than our approach and the cost of their approach must be way lower to the state, but should financial cost be ignored for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1251832822366601217

Fergal hasn't gone back yet to say he forgot a zero...someone please tell me he forgot a zero. Looks like Germany are just doing testing for us by now rather than clearing backlog, 40% of the workload?

EDIT: HSE have said the backlog is cleared.

At the moment it looks like Sweden's approach is wrong, but time may prove it not to be any worse than our approach and the cost of their approach must be way lower to the state, but should financial cost be ignored for a while

I think financial costs will always be a factor, the question is to what degree. I do not believe any country will bankrupt itself to stop this virus.

A massive sin of this outbreak would be to learn nothing which to he honest I’m not sure many western democracies will learn as we are generally a reactionary lot. We have to pay more now economically and democratically because we failed to have any provisions in place and have not valued any sort of emergency response strategy on any capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Backlog is completely gone according to Fergal Bowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Backlog is completely gone according to Fergal Bowers.

We should probably see a drop in cases then as less people have been going for testing. It can't have spread much over the last couple of weeks in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

We should probably see a drop in cases then as less people have been going for testing. It can't have spread much over the last couple of weeks in the community.

Hopefully that should be the case. But if community transmission is practically zero, as per CMO, one wonders whether masks play as big a part in preventing transmission among people reasonably socially distancing as originally thought. And supermarket transmission as well, which appears to be a minor risk once distancing is observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I’m pretty convinced we’ll see numbers drop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

YFlyer wrote: »
    One of my conspiracy theory friends put a chart on his Facebook page that Yemen have zero deaths. I had to tell him that there have been no tests done in the country.

He was questioning my source. I'm a sheep....lol

https://reliefweb.int/report/yemen/ministry-health-aden-confirms-first-case-covid-19-yemen-enar

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

I’m pretty convinced we’ll see numbers drop

More likely they’ll probably find another couple of hundred false negatives and blind is with science about how this could happen.

Numbers would want to be dropping sharply from midweek onwards to show that our half lockdown was worth it.

Questions will be asked if still reporting 6-700 cases this time next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Touchwood when this is all over I’ll want to hug even random Humans I meet, and I wasn’t a big fan of Humans to begin with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement