Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Technically you’re not part of the “backlog”. The “backlog” is cases prior to two weeks ago.

So then what are we going to call the backlog that theballz is in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

growleaves wrote: »
    Paddygreen's posts are not mere trolling as they have a subtle satirical edge IMO.

Yes, that's true. I should have explained better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

the HSE made that claim not Fergal Bowers https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1251855114182242306

The HSE are making it up. I know of people waiting on test results and more in nursing homes waiting on swabs along with healthcare workers. If the backlog is indeed cleared then there should be no bother getting results back to people waiting over a week and getting people swabbed. There's been a lot of dishonesty with regard to the testing situation and it's a real shame. There is no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Malawi high court blocks coronavirus lockdown
    A Malawi high court has temporarily barred the government from implementing a 21-day lockdown to curb coronavirus following a petition by a human rights group.

Justice Kenyatta Nyirenda on Friday set aside the lockdown in response to a challenge by the Malawi Human Rights Defenders Coalition (HRDC), which argued that more consultation was needed to prevent harm to the poorest and most vulnerable of society.

Small-scale traders, often young people, had been staging protests in the three major cities against the planned lockdown, initially due to begin on Saturday, carrying placards declaring that it would be better to contract the virus than die of hunger because they are unable to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

gabeeg wrote: »
    Since it's split from the Official Backlog it must be the Provisional Backlog or PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

We should probably see a drop in cases then as less people have been going for testing. It can't have spread much over the last couple of weeks in the community.

Don't forget the HSE has started testing all person's and staff in nursing homes across the country.
    Don't be surprised to see higher than expected numbers of new cases due to this

bekker wrote: »
    Since it's split from the Main Backlog it must be the Provisional Backlog or PB.

tiocfaidh ár láb-test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

That is one serious set of ugly looking Frodo feet on the right

ZX7R wrote: »
    Don't forget the HSE has started testing all person's and staff in nursing homes across the country.
    Don't be surprised to see higher than expected numbers of new cases due to this

No they haven't. Another complete and utter lie. Not only that, but they are not even managing to test suspected cases in some nursing homes and the healthcare workers they were in contact with, but have instead advised that it will be some days before these people can be swabbed due to the delays and the backlog (the same backlog that they are telling the public through the media doesn't exist)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

US reopening: What states are relaxing social distancing restrictions and moving away from lockdowns?
    Here is a running list of states making moves to roll back social distancing regulations:

Idaho and North Dakota
    Trump said on April 18 that along with Ohio, Idaho and North Dakota had "advised nonessential businesses to prepare for a phased reopening starting May 1."

Montana
    Trump said on April 18 that Montana will "begin lifting restrictions" on April 24.

New York
    On April 18, New York joined the states of Connecticut and New Jersey in opening up their marinas, boatyards and boat launches for recreational use.

The state also has updated its guidance for golf courses, opening the door for public and private courses to open, so long as almost all direct employees are not on premises. Golfers will have to walk the course and carry their own bags without a motorized cart, according to Dani Lever, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's communications director.

Ohio
    On May 1, the state is going to start implementing a "gradual" plan to get the state back open, Gov. Mike DeWine said on April 16.

DeWine said the plan – still being finalized with business leaders and advisers – is to reopen gradually. It will start with businesses that are able to incorporate social distancing, cleaning protocols and other measures to reduce spread of the virus.

Texas
    Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced executive orders on April 17 that will ease some of the restrictions on retail stores and parks, but he said all schools, public and private, will remain closed for the rest of the school year.

Abbott said all stores in Texas will be able to operate retail-to-go beginning April 24, in which they can deliver items to customer’s cars, homes or other locations. State parks were to be reopened on April 20.

Vermont
    On April 17, Gov. Phil Scott announced plans to reopen some businesses – under restrictions – on April 20. Farmers markets can reopen in limited capacities starting May 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

I had been reading a Lancet article about viral sepsis due to SARS-CoV2, which postulates it’s the cause of death in the majority of fatal cases. Sepsis involves blood clotting and consequent death of tissues.

Blood clotting leading to pulmonary embolism is being identified as a cause of death in SARS-CoV2 patients according to this article

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/how-does-coronavirus-kill-clinicians-trace-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes#

deisedevil wrote: »
    No they haven't. Another complete and utter lie. Not only that, but they are not even managing to test suspected cases in some nursing homes and the healthcare workers they were in contact with, but have instead advised that it will be some days before these people can be swabbed due to the delays and the backlog (the same backlog that they are telling the public through the media doesn't exist)
    Tell that to my relative that works in the local nursing home,
    They were all tested Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Akrasia wrote: »
    I think the bigger issue with this WHO tweet, is the fact that so many people are so focused on a single nugget of data and using that as a stick to beat the WHO with as if it’s some kind of hive mind

There are tens of thousands of people working at the WHO, maybe 3 or 4 of those were involved in sending that tweet and they probably thought it was the right thing to say at the time, the early stages of a crisis when information was far from established.

You also have to remember that the WHO deals with many alerts of potential pandemics, the majority of them fizzle out on their own or with some interventions.

The WHO twitter feed has 50 thousand tweets. Since this outbreak has taken off in January, the vast majority of those tweets provided useful accurate information. And they have corrected the ‘no evidence of h2h transmission’ statement countless times yet people will still vilify the WHO and everyone associated with them.

It’s an organization that has flaws but is generally extremely well intentioned and exists almost solely for the betterment of mankind. The WHO led the eradication of Smallpox, it’s currently driving the control of TB, cutting TB infections in half over the last 20 years, saving 50 million lives, and it’s at the forefront of public health and vaccination programs all around the world

The anti WHO codology stems from the anti vaccine movement and other loopers with more free time than brain cells to rub together. Before you get sucked in by it, think about it first

It's lamentable that there are so many (largely disingenuous) actors consistently trying to lay focus on this single tweet - which was Chinese information, not the WHO's - in an effort to damn an entire organisation. An organisation that wasn't even allowed into Wuhan until nearly a month after it was tweeted.

In any case, that tweet probably had little to no actual effect on the world's reaction to Covid-19.

Tell that to my relative that works in the local nursing home,
    They were all tested Friday.

So what. One nursing home. I know of many many nursing homes that have had no testing and even more so of one with suspected cases that are being told they will have to wait a few days for the suspected cases to be swabbed and no swabs for workers who were in contact, just stay at home. If the nursing homes are a priority then why the delay. My relative is on the phone with 1 hour and 53 mins there waiting to get through to find out if there is any update on when her residents will be tested. The last residents she had tested had results back after 13 days. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

gabeeg wrote:
    The lab test isn't the final stage in the process. All results have to be either texted or phoned to patients.

If it is reported that the backlog is cleared and people are waiting for results then the issue lies with the system of contacting patients, not the labs.

So what. One nursing home. I know of many many nursing homes that have had no testing and even more so of one with suspected cases that are being told they will have to wait a few days for the suspected cases to be swabbed and no swabs for workers who were in contact, just stay at home. If the nursing homes are a priority then why the delay. My relative is on the phone with 1 hour and 53 mins there waiting to get through to find out if there is any update on when her residents will be tested. The last residents she had tested had results back after 13 days. Fantastic.

There is roughly 30,000 people living in nursing homes
    Roughly 27000 staff.
    Since Friday 4000 tests have been carried out.
    They are not going to be able to test 57000 odd people over night.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any word on a rescheduled gig for Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets which is supposed to be happening at the Convention Centre in Dublin in ten days time.

A number of threads in Gigs & Events cover rescheduled gigs and there's one dedicated to that one

Roughly 27000 staff.

No one expects them to test them all overnight. Why did it take this long to start doing anything at all? Why are they taking so long to test suspected cases? Why are they not testing healthcare workers in nursing homes who were in contact with suspected cases? It's not good enough.

Also, on that rate it will be another 2 weeks before they will have swabbed everyone going on those numbers and god only knows how long after that before they get results back. So going back to the point I've been making all along, the testing situation is a shambles and rather than own it there has been nothing but dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Roughly 27000 staff.
    That 4,000 tests was clarified in the Q&A, 4,000 SWABBED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No one expects them to test them all overnight. Why did it take this long to start doing anything at all? Why are they taking so long to test suspected cases? Why are they not testing healthcare workers in nursing homes who were in contact with suspected cases? It's not good enough.

I don’t completely disagree with your sentiments, there are a lot of things that have not been good enough and continue to not be good enough. But all things considered I feel we have done OK under the circumstances. Not excellent, not terrible but OK, much better then some countries and not as good as others.

But how can you temper this legitimate/reasonable view with realistic expectations and factoring in the global shortage of all the things we are short? PPE, knowledge on how to actually respond as a country/system, how long to hold on restrictions, where to place resources.

These and many other issues are all issues most countries have no planning of experience in dealing with. So while in normal circumstances your points are fair, when you take everything into account I feel it’s unrealistic to demand more competency after the fact. Countries are getting some things right and some things wrong, unfortunately a lot of people are suffering due to bad management. When you don’t have all the answers you are essentially experimenting with a population until a better way of managing this is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Tony Holohan admitted that the testing criteria was too wide in early March ( at 20 minutes ) https://www.pscp.tv/rtenews/1vAxRBXVEoXxl this led to all the problems

The problem at the start was who's remit they fell under, nobody seemed to want to take responsibility for them.
    I'm not medically able to answer why it takes so long to test suspected cases,
    But my relative told me that some of the people have to be brought to hospital to be tested as a test could not be carried out using normal procedures

Tony Holohan admitted that the testing criteria was too wide in early March ( at 20 minutes ) https://www.pscp.tv/rtenews/1vAxRBXVEoXxl this led to all the problems

It wasn't too wide at all. They were turning away people with covid.

It was that our ability to test on a large scale collapsed because they ran out of reagent. That was the real failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Or is it that they just couldn't manage the amount of requests. It wasn't that the criteria was too wide at all and they just needed an excuse to reduce the amount of requests maybe? How many people have had it but were told no test would be done because they didn't meet the new criteria.

I think the real truth is that the labs weren't prepared and how could they be. The systems to support them weren't ready and that's also understandable. The reagents ran out and more could not be sourced quick enough, a worldwide problem which was not the fault of anyone here. The hope was that they were going to test far more and when they realised that wasn't possible they said the criteria was too wide. Ideally we would have been testing far more. I can't stand the dishonesty since the testing started. There's been loads of spin around it and it would have been far better to have been more open and hon est. People would have been more understanding than they think I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I just tuned in to the Downing St presser.
    I don’t know who the speaker is but having the virus surely can’t be as painful as listening to him. He is dreadful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I have my mask on when I woohoo and my landing window is at least five meters away from the road. Other clappers are social distancing too...

I'd say when they see you woohooing they definitely social distance :pac:

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don’t completely disagree with your sentiments, there are a lot of things that have not been good enough and continue to not be good enough. But all things considered I feel we have done OK under the circumstances. Not excellent, not terrible but OK, much better then some countries and not as good as others.

But how can you temper this legitimate/reasonable view with realistic expectations and factoring in the global shortage of all the things we are short? PPE, knowledge on how to actually respond as a country/system, how long to hold on restrictions, where to place resources.

These and many other issues are all issues most countries have no planning of experience in dealing with. So while in normal circumstances your points are fair, when you take everything into account I feel it’s unrealistic to demand more competency after the fact. Countries are getting some things right and some things wrong, unfortunately a lot of people are suffering due to bad management. When you don’t have all the answers you are essentially experimenting with a population until a better way of managing this is available.

The nursing home problems had occurred in other countries. We could have prepared for that in advance. We didn't. The ball was dropped there and quite a large one. That's the biggest problem I have. Nursing homes were screaming out for help and were being ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fritzelly wrote: »

Whats with all this 10k 15k tests day a talk for weeks now? We have not tested anywhere cose to those numbers in a single day , ever. Not thats not okay, Ireland is testing plenty, but why does HSE keep saying they will/can test such large numbers when they dont

Has Ireland ever even performed 5000 tests in one day before?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement