Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

wakka12 wrote:
    Whats with all this 10k 15k tests day a talk for weeks now? We have not tested anywhere cose to those numbers in a single day , ever. Not thats not okay, Ireland is testing plenty, but why does HSE keep saying they will/can test such large numbers when they dont
    The problem with this is that the media use the term "testing" interchangeably when talking about swabs being taken and tests being processed in the lab.

When they say 10-15k tests a day they mean swabs taken in a day.

Irish hospital labs process samples from hospital patients and healthcare workers.
    The NVRL process samples from the community and the excess goes to Germany. I imagine and i hope that patients in residential homes will now be prioritised over patients from the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Gael23 wrote: »
    Hopefully this is the start of a drop in new cases. What was it yesterday?

Happens every Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Why are numbers still high? We are in lockdown since March and numbers still staying high enough. Im am worried tbh. If our numbers arent dropping significantly this week i think its game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Happens every Sunday

I have to hand it to you, you always find the worst scenario possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Why are numbers still high? We are in lockdown since March and numbers still staying high enough. Im am worried tbh. If our numbers arent dropping significantly this week i think its game over.

Same thing is said every evening. Bloody tiresome at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There are no graves being dug outside of already consecrated ground in Ireland, I can promise you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The problem with this is that the media use the term "testing" interchangeably when talking about swabs being taken and tests being processed in the lab.

When they say 10-15k tests a day they mean swabs taken in a day.

Irish hospital labs process samples from hospital patients and healthcare workers.
    The NVRL process samples from the community and the excess goes to Germany. I imagine and i hope that patients in residential homes will now be prioritised over patients from the community.

They've been quite open in saying the 10k per day is lab capacity to process tests and that labs are operating under capacity, hospital labs for hospital tests, nvrl and Enfer for others along with German lab.

The HSE phrase used regardless of what media say is lab processing capacity is at x number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Tippex

wakka12 wrote: »
    Deaths down considerably in France, UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden,Germany, Netherlands...deaths in Europe overall down about 30% on recent weeks,could really be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now

We have had the same comments every weekend.
    The likelihood esp with UK is the the numbers will go back up tomorrow.
    The numbers reported seem to drop a bit over the weekends.

Gout?

Gout doesn't tend to hit multiple toes. Normally the big toe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

it seems like lockdowns are working across the world - i mean they have to, you don't meet other people, you don't get infected. i'm just worried about opening back up again, which has to be done in the next few months or risk a global depression that could last a decade, whether the virus is gone or not. and it's won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

People in critical care has increased though. 294 cases in there now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Stop it. Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Tippex wrote: »
    We have had the same comments every weekend.
    The likelihood esp with UK is the the numbers will go back up tomorrow.
    The numbers reported seem to drop a bit over the weekends.

Correct, the numbers dip every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Sensationalist much?

We're testing more and the higher numbers include a backlog of hundreds (thousands?) of tests of ours returning from Germany. Of course the numbers will be higher

What I'm keeping an eye on is the daily amount of people passing away from it, who aren't part of the numbers from the poor souls in the nursing homes, and the mortality %

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Game over in what sense?
    We’re on proper lockdown for coming up to 5 weeks.
    That isn’t long at all on the grand scheme of things and we’re seeing numbers decline.

They aren’t going to just drop to zero..

God knows what people are actually expecting but all signs we’re seeing are positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

hawkelady wrote: »
    People in critical care has increased though. 294 cases in there now

What?

michellie wrote: »
    Stop it. Jesus

I am asking the question. Answer it or stfu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

We need to open up again within the next month or two. Virus or no virus

A global depression lasting decades would kill more than any virus

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

How many swabs are actually processed in a day here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Down come to cases, as predicted. I reckon we’ll see some things open before May 5th. Lock down the nursing homes, test test test and we won’t be doing too bad.

RIP to those who died.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Wombatman wrote: »
    You want to give the people managing this crisis the benefit of the doubt. You want to believe they are smart people who have the countries best interests at heart.

Then you hear they are considering opening schools for one day a week.

Beyond dumb IMHO. You may as well open them every day in that case for flip sake.

If they only had 20% of the kids in school each day they could be spread out.
    It would make slightly more sense as the teachers would be the only ones doing a full week and they can be trusted to do their best not to transmit the virus.
    Even then, it just makes more sense to have them either open or closed, one day a week is the worst of both worlds.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Game over in what sense?
    We’re on proper lockdown for coming up to 5 weeks.
    That isn’t long at all on the grand scheme of things and we’re seeing numbers decline.

They aren’t going to just drop to zero..

God knows what people are actually expecting but all signs we’re seeing are positive!

We have still high numbers and similar to before we went into lockdown. Nothing positive about that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

easypazz wrote: »

They do drop at the weekend though? Nothing negative about it. Better to wait for proper weekday drops to look for trends.

Game over? You mean we're all going to die?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

We have still high numbers and similar to before we went into lockdown. Nothing positive about that right now.

Our daily case numbers have dropped(percentage wise)
    Put hospital admissions have dropped daily also.

Plenty of positives.

If you’re not willing to actually look The numbers (and how projections have changed over the weeks) than that’s fine, but things are moving in a good direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Jin luk wrote: »
    How many swabs are actually processed in a day here?

Capacity for 7,000 swabs to be taken a day.

Capacity for 10,000 tests to be done a day.

As of HSE updates today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It is the case that there has been a drop on Sunday’s then much higher on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Down come to cases, as predicted. I reckon we’ll see some things open before May 5th. Lock down the nursing homes, test test test and we won’t be doing too bad.

RIP to those who died.

Not that im a expert nor is anyone else on here but to open up before the 5th will be chancing it, see what the numbers are in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

easypazz wrote: »

But he's correct. Look at the daily figures. It's always a drop in numbers on a Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement