Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

We have still high numbers and similar to before we went into lockdown. Nothing positive about that right now.

Your lack of common sense re: us having a big backlog of tests coming back is quite something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Game over? You mean we're all going to die?

Well We cant afford to lose 40 people a day to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

John.Icy wrote: »
    Capacity for 7,000 swabs to be taken a day.

Capacity for 10,000 tests to be done a day.

As of HSE updates today.

So 450 from 10000 tests?

For a virus their saying has a r0 of about 2 pretty low the whole time here somethings off.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

My bad if it came across like that, was just saying he had updated the tweet. I know it's a hse issue, said it in another post I dont know how nobody questioned the figure given this morning
    That's the nub of the issue, at least one of the journalists present should have questioned it.

Anyone can misspeak, but if it was 1,000 in the briefing notes then that's a more serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

They've been quite open in saying the 10k per day is lab capacity to process tests and that labs are operating under capacity, hospital labs for hospital tests, nvrl and Enfer for others along with German lab.

Hopefully thats true so.
    The term testing was and is being used in different contexts at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Your lack of common sense re: us having a big backlog of tests coming back is quite something

The backlog is cleared. Did you not hear the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Andrew00 wrote: »
    We need to open up again within the next month or two. Virus or no virus

A global depression lasting decades would kill more than any virus

:confused:

Put down the coolade.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

redarmy wrote: »
    39 more people diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland have died. There have now been 610 COVID-19 related deaths here.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Jin luk wrote: »
    So 450 from 10000 tests?

For a virus their saying has a r0 of about 2 pretty low the whole time here somethings off.

That's max capacity. I'd say they were running at far less the last few days, though with thousands of nursing home staff and resident swabs to process over of the next 7-10 there's there's a chance we start seeing some big numbers in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The backlog is cleared. Did you not hear the news?

For their duration of this lockdown that you’re saying isn’t working, we have had a backlog though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP. the 39 people who died

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We have still high numbers and similar to before we went into lockdown. Nothing positive about that right now.

No we're not. Positive cases have reduced while testing has ramped up.
    How many times must it be explained that these restrictions will not eradicate the virus but will substantially slow it to allow the health service cope? The restrictions are clearly working as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Why are numbers still high? We are in lockdown since March and numbers still staying high enough. Im am worried tbh. If our numbers arent dropping significantly this week i think its game over.

497.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Why are numbers still high? We are in lockdown since March and numbers still staying high enough. Im am worried tbh. If our numbers arent dropping significantly this week i think its game over.

We only went into restrictions on the 28th March. That’s only three weeks. We should see a drop this week and next week and restrictions being lifted on 5th May.

That's max capacity. I'd say they were running at far less the last few days, though with thousands of nursing home staff and resident swabs to process over of the next 7-10 there's there's a chance we start seeing some big numbers in the coming days.

They only started swabbing in nursing homes today can confirm this as ive a relative in 1 the numbers are way off in my eyes think they stuck an extra 0 into that 10000

Well We cant afford to lose 40 people a day to the virus.

But what are referring to when you say 'Game Over'?

So 450 from 10000 tests?

It's a while since they said R0 = 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

They only started swabbing in nursing homes today can confirm this as ive a relative in 1 the numbers are way off in my eyes think they stuck an extra 0 into that 10000

Have swabbed around 4000 from nursing homes since Friday - thousands more to come. Your relatives home may have only been swabbed today but that doesn't mean no others have prior to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Have swabbed around 4000 from nursing homes since Friday - thousands more to come.

Its all lies I wouldn't believe a word they say

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's a while since they said R0 = 2.

In normal circumstances its that or more. i dont know where the most of yous live but life is more or less normal here apart from a bit of social distancing and no pubs open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Because some selfish gits are not adhering to the lockdown. Case in point neighbours two doors down had a mate over for a few drinks out the back Frday last, had grandparents (with English accents) over Easter weekend and there are currently several kids playing on the trampoline out their back despite them only having one kid.

Also, a lot of people, myself included, have essential jobs, and are still out and about and therefore running the risk of catching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

So 450 from 10000 tests?

A virus with a R0 of 2 is still an absolute disaster over time exponentially

Last I checked, from a statement from our government, it's at 0.7 here. Which is where it needs to stay. An R0 of 1 and below can be managed, an R0 of 2 or more and it's back to lockdown.

Or, as we have in Ireland, a "lockdown"

We only have had strict restrictions since 28th March which is just over three weeks. We are doing well and we should see a drop in hospital admissions and icu issues this week and next week. We are doing well !

Have swabbed around 4000 from nursing homes since Friday - thousands more to come. Your relatives home may have only been swabbed today but that doesn't mean no others have prior to today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0419/1132451-covid-19-nursing-homes-tests/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

easypazz wrote: »
    I have to hand it to you, you always find the worst scenario possible.

It's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The rate of testing has gone up significantly. More tests, more positives.

That doesn't mean it's not improving.

Why is RTE so focused on uk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

'Challenges and solutions for addressing critical shortage of supply chain for personal and protective equipment (PPE) arising from Coronavirus disease (COVID19) pandemic - Case study from the Republic of Ireland'

Really pleased that we're looking into disinfecting/decontaminating PPE with e.g. vaporised hydrogen peroxide (as the US is doing) if needed in an emergency situation.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969720320453?via%3Dihub

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

That actually says that 4000 have already been completed, if you are going to post a link at least read it.

• Advertisement

In normal circumstances its that or more. i dont know where the most of yous live but life is more or less normal here apart from a bit of social distancing and no pubs open.

No idea what you mean by that. Vivid can have R0 = 5 to 7. We were at 4.5 and now below 1.
    As for life here; for most it is severely changed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement