Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Louisiana Pastor Tony Spell Still Defiant And Asking For Money, Even After a Church Member Dies From Coronavirus.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

flazio wrote: »
    So, you reckon if a club or business gets closed down, that it would be absolutely impossible for them to be set up again?

How many people and families not employed by clubs would be financially burdened by not playing games etc.

Mad statements from Harris tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Are there thermal cameras at our Airports and seaports plus supervised 14 day quarantine for arrivals from abroad yet ?

https://extra.ie/2020/04/19/news/irish-news/convoy-uk-travellers-curragh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

flazio wrote: »
    So, you reckon if a club or business gets closed down, that it would be absolutely impossible for them to be set up again?

If you know how sports in this country works then yes for some clubs they will not come back from this.
    Take your Airtricity league clubs, they rely on gate money plain and simple, theres no big tv deals. Its purely gate money, programme sales and match night revenue.

If they go to the wall then they wont come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Positive enough numbers again today. We dont seem to be heading for the scenarios some on here had relished.

That is really unfair. If you truly think you are among psychopaths here why return to the site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

wadacrack wrote: »
    I am also extremely worried about this. They don't have to a business for them to matter. Yes their are more serious worries also but I get the impression its not ok to be missing sports for certain people.

This is not just soccer, but rugby and probably other team sports like hockey and basketball as well (and even amateur sports have many fulltime employees keeping the show on the road). Shutting down sport for a year will have a disastrous outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Australia are joining trump now on questions over China. Rightly or wrongly suspicion is increasing on how the disease started!!
    They are also doubting WHO'S initial response

Long term you would think much greater controls will have to come in over work in these labs. It's nuclear in wrong hands

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf a lot of Airtricity League teams regularly go tìts up. Its not exactly stable at the best of times. I'd actually be not to worried about it. Sure badges and names will change but imagine they will revert back into the OG names. Like Galway United > SD Galway > Galway United again. Limerick and Cork also did a few annual renamings to get back to the original ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Strazdas wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried about the talk of cancelling all sports in 2020.

I understand the need for it but it would probably put a huge number of clubs in Ireland out of existence - people are nearly forgetting that clubs are businesses entirely dependent on revenue to stay afloat. With a nine month or longer shutdown, they will cease to exist (at the end of the shutdown, they won't have any staff or players).

Its inconceivable large sports events will occur before end year. Time and time again, it seems the main transmission mechanism for the virus are large congregations of people, whether it be churches, football games, skiing resorts, or subways etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

wadacrack wrote: »
    If the R0 is below 1.0 it can be. Your right about medical professors tho, but even they admit we don't reallly know how this virus will behave long term. It worth the effort to keep suppression this and maybe getting lucky with a vaccine being available quickly.

It still wouldn't be eradicated .
    It would only be suppressed, even if the to is below 1.0.
    There is an article by the world health organization about how virus's work.
    Eradicating is not as easy as getting the to below 1.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If anyone interested the operation report in spreadsheet format under tab irish hospital bed details
    Lists CC Beds in hospitals as vacant beds, confirmed cases and suspected. Also how man ventilated etc. for each day

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VnTtGtEGyzDr1sAdoFieLpUeUUP0mbzryebHGUbISj4/edit?usp=sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

keynes wrote: »
    Its inconceivable large sports events will occur before end year. Time and time again, it seems the main transmission mechanism for the virus are large congregations of people, whether it be churches, football games, skiing resorts, or subways etc

Sporting events like the GAA and national soccer team are the cornerstone of this country. They will have to be up an running asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Sporting events like the GAA and national soccer team are the cornerstone of this country. They will have to be up an running asap.

Tens of thousands of people have very little in their lives outside of these sports. No sport for the year will have a huge impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Australia are joining trump now on questions over China. Rightly or wrongly suspicion is increasing on how the disease started!!
    They are also doubting WHO'S initial response

Long term you would think much greater controls will have to come in over work in these labs. It's nuclear in wrong hands

More of Trump's deflection tactics surface on the boards.

*sigh*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Sporting events will be among the last categories to have restrictions lifted. Sorry if this is unpalatable but it is the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Opening disclaimer: Excluding cases from the German lab, I know its a Sunday and numbers are generally lower but cases only jumped 3.8% which is the lowest since the 7th of March (5.6% jump from 18 to 19 cases) and the deaths only increased 6.8% which is the lowest increas since last Sunday (4.4%)

jackboy wrote: »
    Tens of thousands of people have very little in their lives outside of these sports. No sport for the year will have a huge impact.

There would be a far greater impact if large numbers of people were to get the virus and become seriously ill or die as a result of taking part in or attending large scale sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Spanish Flu lasted 3 years, I see the same here . Only hope is a cure.
    No economically the restrictions have to be lifted, otherwise we go broke and the health service ceases to exist. Very gradual and appropriate lifting.
    I think cinema and pubs, large crowdy type gatherings are some indefinable point in the future. but builders will be going back to work, various factories with new controls in place. Offices similarly but they tend to be gregarious and have meetings with people in close contact, so all that will have to be banned.
    I think the social norms around visiting vulnerable folk will continue indefinitely as will their voluntary cocooning.
    The cure will be herd immunity same like every other corona virus.
    Sorry, but so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Behind closed doors, but not with large numbers of spectators. Ditto for horse racing

I think this year's GAA championship winner should be decided by pulling County names out of the Sam Magiure.
    '....and the winner is.. MAY.... OH, ****e, I've dropped the ticket, hang on I'll dig in for it again... the winner is... DUBLIN!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sporting events will be among the last categories to have restrictions lifted. Sorry if this is unpalatable but it is the reality.

Sport will be back behind closed doors when schools open again.

After a while people will just have to accept the virus & start living life again in the next 4-5 months.
    Cant stay in lockdown for the rest of the year.

MD1990 wrote: »

After a while people will just have to accept the virus & start living life again in the next 4-5 months.

Fair enough, but if we do that we may as well just open up now. The restrictions can only work if they last forever or until an effective vaccine is provided.

There was an article in one of the newspapers during the week the gist of which stated that the GAA authorities would prefer matches not to be played at all rather than go ahead behind closed doors. I would think most other Irish sporting bodies would be of the same view.

Fair enough, but if we do that we may as well just open up now. The restrictions can only work if they last forever or until an effective vaccine is provided.

drugs better treatment is being developed. An anti body test as well.

They will know much more about the virus in the next 3-4 months & will most likely have drugs developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Get something to treat this so we don't die from it and we'll be fine - vaccine ain't happening for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Is there any news about trials for a viable treatment that are looking optimistic? I know a vaccine, if it is possible will be a long time. Nobody even knows if a vaccine will work.

If there's no hope of a treatment or an effective vaccine the the future looks very bleak indeed.

Whatever about the huge problems with the economy etc., I think people being separated from family, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends and lack of social activities for years will take a huge toll on people mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Is there any news about trials for a viable treatment that are looking optimistic? I know a vaccine, if it is possible will be a long time. Nobody even knows if a vaccine will work.

If there's no hope of a treatment or an effective vaccine the the future looks very bleak indeed.

Whatever about the huge problems with the economy etc., I think people being separated from family, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends and lack of social activities for years will take a huge toll on people mentally.

Check this out.

they are devleoping over 36 drugs in the US alone as well as a Vaccine.

They'll have something in the next 3-4 months to treat the virus.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Andrew00 wrote: »
    We need to open up again within the next month or two. Virus or no virus

A global depression lasting decades would kill more than any virus

No, it will not, because then we'll have a depression AND a deadly virus.

• Advertisement

drugs better treatment is being developed. An anti body test as well.

They will know much more about the virus in the next 3-4 months & will most likely have drugs developed.

3 to 4 months is extremely optimistic for a drug treatment. Next year would be more realistic. If a treatment is developed it likely would not work very well for the elderly patients who have other serious illnesses.

An anti body test won’t help us as the restrictions have likely severely dampened the infection rate in Ireland. So a small amount of people may be shown to have antibodies. Again, an antibody test will not significantly help the at risk groups.

These solutions are basically just variations of the herd immunity approach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement