Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I definitely can.

There's no way there is going to be total sea change that entire business practises will change. They will alter to begin with, but I can see normal order restored as soon as the doom and gloom subsides.

Things will eventually ease off. After 1918 all life didn't end, in fact it led into the roaring 20's! I reckon in a few years time we will scarcely be talking about this.
    Remember crisis like 9/11 where we thought life would never be the same again (in some ways it did change) but after a while things levelled and life go back to normal. This will play itself out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

ricero wrote: »
    Don't get this way of thinking at all. Many people see this as somewhat of a reset button on the world.

Personally I don't and I think we will all be back to the way things were in a years time.

We humans are dumb and repeat the same mistakes over and over again, so yep we’ll learn nothing from this. Personally I’ve decided to make serious changes to how I live, I will purposely avoid purchasing anything made in China as far as possible and I’m already buying more local produce. I’m also going to change my work life balance as I’ve come to realise the most precious thing we have in this life outside of our families is our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

New Home wrote: »
    Except that this isn't just a respiratory disease. That's what it looked like at the start, but there's increasing evidence that it badly affects many other organs in the body.

Yes, the brain, judging by this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I'm going to make big changes as well, I used to go to the pub once a week, now I'll go 4 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Pubs with restrictions just wont work and I hope it dosent happen. Need to be very careful in this country regarding this issue.They will need the money and it just wont work. Alcohol on board it will be chaos. If the pubs opened now, it wouldnt matter to enough people for them to be packed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

I just want to be able to go for a stroll in Dublin again

I can carry a hip flask if I fancy a drink :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

road_high wrote: »
    Things will eventually ease off. After 1918 all life didn't end, in fact it led into the roaring 20's! I reckon in a few years time we will scarcely be talking about this.
    Remember crisis like 9/11 where we thought life would never be the same again (in some ways it did change) but after a while things levelled and life go back to normal. This will play itself out too.

Which came to an end in 1929 with the Wall St stock market crash followed by the Great Depression in the 1930s. History could repeat itself this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

MD1990 wrote: »
    once restrictions are lifted the pubs will have to turn away people at the door.

They'll be packed.

That is the reality of what will happen it is why it should be one of the last places to open.

there were very few in most pubs the couple of days before they closed, obviously might be exceptions,anyway we are months away from them opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

once restrictions are lifted the pubs will have to turn away people at the door.

They'll be packed.

That is the reality of what will happen it is why it should be one of the last places to open.

Yeah its going to be completely mental the day pubs open back up, think of how busy Paddys Day or Arthurs Day or Christmas Eve etc etc and multiply it by 20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Opening schools for even one day a week is a huge risk. Kids are said to be asymptomatic spreaders and are hardly known for social distancing, washing hands or coughing or sneezing into their elbow.

One child could potentially infect numerous others who then bring it home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Morgan freeman’s thoughts on the future beginning to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They'll be packed.

Alternatively somebody will just have to invent a facemask with built-in drinking straw (or a funnel for the harder drinkers) ...the goggles will come automatically when enough beer is ingested

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Which came to an end in 1929 with the Wall St stock market crash followed by the Great Depression in the 1930s. History could repeat itself this time around.

And did pubs all of a sudden become redundant after this? Did human life cease to exist?

Okay WW2 arrived, but thereafter we got up into space, even landed on the moon (although I think some people that frequent this forum subscribe to that being a big conspiracy theory too), and technology exploded beyond belief.

Medicine improved and our life expectancy grew.

We are far from fooked long-term.

screamer wrote: »
    We humans are dumb and repeat the same mistakes over and over again, so yep we’ll learn nothing from this. Personally I’ve decided to make serious changes to how I live, I will purposely avoid purchasing anything made in China as far as possible and I’m already buying more local produce. I’m also going to change my work life balance as I’ve come to realise the most precious thing we have in this life outside of our families is our time.

No humans just find a way of getting on with life and not avoiding everything for fear of dying. If we all never took risks and all stayed at home nothing would ever be achieved. Actually we may as well have stayed living in caves forever

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No humans just find a way of getting on with life and not avoiding everything for fear of dying. If we all never took risks and all stayed at home nothing would ever be achieved. Actually we may as well have stayed living in caves forever

And that is why there are Darwin awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Just tested positive - difficulty I have is I live on own without support. Is it acceptable to go to supermarket? I do daily runs also but don't see a issue with this as I'm outdoors?

Absolutely not.

You need to ask relatives, friends or local shops to deliver.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's a difference between taking risks being foolhardy. There's a difference between taking risks and jumping into an active volcano. And there's a huge difference between taking risks with your own life and taking risks with someone else's.

And so what if it does? Jesus Christ **** happens. What’s your solution? Cocoon indefinitely?

HSE need to allow a gathering of, at most, two people.

Me and my friend want to drink cans for Pierce Brosnan's birthday. Don't want to let The Bronhom down

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    And that is why there are Darwin awards.

And that’s why we have nervous nellies who are afraid to leave the house ever. Do you have a point?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, the brain, judging by this thread.

Some people had a head start on that.

New Home wrote: »
    Some people had a head start on that.

Ahhhh I see what you did there

And did pubs all of a sudden become redundant after this? Did human life cease to exist?

Okay WW2 arrived, but thereafter we got up into space, even landed on the moon (although I think some people that frequent this forum subscribe to that being a big conspiracy theory too), and technology exploded beyond belief.

Maybe it’s that progress that has screwed us. Too much demand on resources. We are on the edge of a climate crisis. This virus and the adjustments we’ve had to make are going some way to offset that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Absolutely not.

You need to ask relatives, friends or local shops to deliver.

Or phone the relevant 'Community Call' no. for your local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I wouldn’t say it’s a common complication but that poor fella ended up on an ecmo machibe. That is gods waiting room territory and on an ecmo machine even your blood is filtered by the machine so it wouldn’t be beyond possible to suffer blood issues. Poor guy no matter what that’s a tough life changing reality to have to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Don't be so flippant, the United Kingdom didn't finish off repaying loans taken out during the war until 2006.

After the war Ireland was more like Albania, low life expectancy, mass immigration, economy was flatlined for years, it wasn't until the 1990's that the Irish economy started to show some progress upwards, and then was up and down for the follow two decades.

The fallout from the virus has set most countries back at least a decade in terms of their economic activity, and this is only around 100 days in!

A crash is always potentially around the corner. Look at 2008, 1987 etc. But history tells us the global pandemics / plague is often followed by a boom

Wtf it’s in water?
    This drop in new cases came as it emerged 'minuscule traces' of the virus have been found in Paris's non-potable water - such as the supply used for cleaning streets.

However, drinking water is at no risk of contamination, a city official said today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8234571/Frances-daily-coronavirus-deaths-drop-395-lowest-three-weeks.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A crash is always potentially around the corner. Look at 2008, 1987 etc. But history tells us the global pandemics / plague is often followed by a boom

That could be a good sign

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement