Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

screamer wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say it’s a common complication but that poor fella ended up on an ecmo machibe. That is gods waiting room territory and on an ecmo machine even your blood is filtered by the machine so it wouldn’t be beyond possible to suffer blood issues. Poor guy no matter what that’s a tough life changing reality to have to face.

However there are lots of people who survive extremely well on ECMO machines, including Orla Tinsley, for whom it sustained life as she awaited her lung transplant. The remarkable thing was she was able to be fully conscious and communicate whilst on it.

But of course Covid and sepsis of any origin does its mischief through an errant reaction to a large viral/bacterial load, leading to clotting disorder and collapse of circulation to varying degrees, resulting in loss of blood supply to parts and quite likely death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Virus is present in human excrement so of course will make its way into the water...

A crash is always potentially around the corner. Look at 2008, 1987 etc. But history tells us the global pandemics / plague is often followed by a boom

At very best this will be a U shaped curve for economic recovery, a sharp drop and a flat line that we're currently in now with almost no Global economic recovery, how long this flat line lasts is anyone's guess.. Months... Years...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The important part of that article is that France had its lowest number of deaths for three weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The important part of that article is that France had its lowest number of deaths for three weeks.

So it's not important that it has been found in water? Ok :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

ricero wrote: »
    Don't get this way of thinking at all. Many people see this as somewhat of a reset button on the world.

Personally I don't and I think we will all be back to the way things were in a years time.

Things will largely be the same but there will also be very big changes that will mark a noticable noticeable change.

It's an accelerant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The Virus is present in human excrement so of course will make its way into the water...

Shiit!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

That's good to hear

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Don't be so flippant, the United Kingdom didn't finish off repaying loans taken out during the war until 2006.
    and yet life for the average British person improved decade on decade. Even in the slump of the 70's into the 80's they were overall better off than they were in the 40's and 50's.
    After the war Ireland was more like Albania, low life expectancy, mass immigration, economy was flatlined for years, it wasn't until the 1990's that the Irish economy started to show some progress upwards, and then was up and down for the follow two decades.
    I was a child of the 70's and a teen of the 80's and yep it was a bit meh at times and yep emigration was definitely a thing, but again we survived and things got generally better year on year, even with the last gasps of the church and unemployment.
    The fallout from the virus has set most countries back at least a decade in terms of their economic activity, and this is only around 100 days in!
    And that's the "positive" about this in many ways, pretty much everywhere is fooked, the ebbing tide has lowered all boats. It's when there's major economic disparity between regions that's much worse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Wibbs wrote: »

And that's the "positive" about this in many ways, pretty much everywhere is fooked, the ebbing tide has lowered all boats. It's when there's major economic disparity between regions that's much worse.

Sticky this.

The whole world is in the same boat.

Buyers, sellers and the general public consumers everywhere are in parity regardless of geographical location.

• Advertisement

Can you be infected by drinking water?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

*Viable* virus has never been found in faeces to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Drinking water gets treated to remove bacteria and viruses (with UV-C light among other things) ...you can not get infected by drinking water

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No it won't unless you're living in a third world craphole, or you're in an area here that has had issues with water treatment and I could understand some worry there. Otherwise our water is treated at many levels, any one of which would bugger the virus. Chlorine will bugger it, UV treatment will bugger it. You're already consuming the water from sh1te to some degree and yet here we are. Hell about the only water I drink is boiled with a teabag in it.

Plus that is in the Daily Mail, a populist rag that is vacillating between egged on stories of doom and gloom, some dumb fcuk "celeb" with her tits out while "isolating" with paparazzi in tow, claps for the NHS(against type for them) and isn't Missus Queen only deadly. Gaawd Bless Her and all who sail in Her. Oh and that uppity brown wan who took our 'Arry. I'd wipe me arse with that rag only I can't fit the laptop between me cheeks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Just tested positive - difficulty I have is I live on own without support. Is it acceptable to go to supermarket? I do daily runs also but don't see a issue with this as I'm outdoors?.

giphy.gif

Is that a rhetorical question? If you know the answer a statement is generally quicker to get to the point.

If it is not a retorical question. I don't know. Nobody knows. Is it possible is probably a better question. Are there waterborne viruses? Again I don't know but I'd say yes.

No, it's the potable water supply, mostly used for flushing the jacks or something.

There's not enough of the virus in a water supply to infect you and even if Covid is present it will be destroyed in your digestive system.
    You have more chance of catching the virus if you get a cup of coffee handed to you by someone who's just coughed or sneezed onto that hand and then you take the cup and with your hand you pick your nose or rub your eye.

Is that a rhetorical question? If you know the answer a statement is generally quicker to get to the point.

If it is not a retorical question. I don't know. Nobody knows. Is it possible is probably a better question. Are there waterborne viruses? Again I don't know but I'd say yes.

Well, it's a respiratory illness so my question relates to ingestion rather than inhalation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Technically you’re not part of the “backlog”. The “backlog” is cases prior to two weeks ago.

As I said, I am waiting over two weeks. My case was prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Hard to believe we are catching up with Sweden in deaths per million.

Yesterday Sweden 150 Ireland 116
    Today Sweden 152 Ireland 124

They are counting care home deaths BTW.

• Advertisement

No, it's the potable water supply, mostly used for flushing the jacks or something.

There's not enough of the virus in a water supply to infect you and even if Covid is present it will be destroyed in your digestive system.
    You have more chance of catching the virus if you get a cup of coffee handed to you by someone who's just coughed or sneezed onto that hand and then you take the cup and with your hand you pick your nose or rub your eye.

Apparently, you are extremely unlikely to get coroanvirus from eating food.

Wibbs wrote: »
    No it won't unless you're living in a third world craphole, or you're in an area here that has had issues with water treatment and I could understand some worry there. Otherwise our water is treated at many levels, any one of which would bugger the virus. Chlorine will bugger it, UV treatment will bugger it. You're already consuming the water from sh1te to some degree and yet here we are. Hell about the only water I drink is boiled with a teabag in it.

Plus that is in the Daily Mail, a populist rag that is vacillating between egged on stories of doom and gloom, some dumb fcuk "celeb" with her tits out while "isolating" with paparazzi in tow, claps for the NHS(against type for them) and isn't Missus Queen only deadly. Gaawd Bless Her and all who sail in Her. Oh and that uppity brown wan who took our 'Arry. I'd wipe me arse with that rag only I can't fit the laptop between me cheeks.

A French friend informed me. I have no affiliation with your toilet paper substitution. Should have stocked up

Apparently, you are extremely unlikely to get coroanvirus from eating food.

And it was extremely low risk of coming here. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Tippex

WHy are UK acting like China and doctoring the figures.

just look at the balls up they made of Brexit to understand...

And it was extremely low risk of coming here. Good to know.

Some people might depend on takeaway food. Would be good for those people to know it's safe to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Wombatman wrote: »

Is that a good sign?

Easing restrictions shouldn't mean a big spike.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

peasant wrote: »
    Drinking water gets treated to remove bacteria and viruses (with UV-C light among other things) ...you can not get infected by drinking water

Unless you end up with a boil water notice in your area... and that's a whole other kettle of fish (what boiling the water actually means). :rolleyes:

They've upped the chlorine in water to make sure. Have we? We've never had any issues with water posing a risk [sarcasm]

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Extra-chlorine-added-to-tap-water-in-France-due-to-stagnant-water-and-Covid-19-confinement

https://www.thejournal.ie/boil-water-notice/news/

Wombatman wrote: »

Well our contact tracing has been minimal, our quarantine non existent, a holy horror of masks in public indoor spaces, testing has been up and down like a whoer's knickers and variable, often stupid advice from the authorities early on. Even with one of the lowest population densities in the western world. We should be doing better.

That said our biggest clusters have been care homes, community spread has been thankfully low of late going by the figures of deaths and what testing data we have in. I'd be far more worried in a place that had say 500 dead but 400 where from community infection, than one with the same number with 400 clustered around hotspots. Tragic either way, but more dangerous in the former.
    A French friend informed me. I have no affiliation with your toilet paper substitution. Should have stocked up
    :pac::pac::D

• Advertisement

From the article:

The chlorine has been added due to the drop in water consumption, not because there is a risk from Covid-19 itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement