Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭threeball

owlbethere wrote: »
    I was reading up about MERS. It emerged in 2012. Its a coronavirus. Its believed it came from bat's into camels and then into humans.

2 things struck me:
    1) There's no vaccine for MERS. It emerged in 2012. That was 8 years ago.
    2) Infection is human to human transmission. Also infection can occur from infected camels.

There's a few things here that worries me and in relation to this new virus.

1) There's no vaccine for mers. Would it be doubtful a vaccine can come about for this covid19?

2) Mers infection can come from infected camels. There has been reports of cats/tigers/dogs getting this coronavirus. Could it be possible that these animals, if infected can infect humans, especially cats and dogs because these animals are pets and part of the family for so many people. Like can dog licks from an infected animal pass it onto their owners/humans?

3) Could covid19 eventually mutate with mers and become more letal?

MERS had no vaccine developed as it was isolated early and developing a vaccine wasnt commercially viable for any company. Not because a vaccine couldnt be made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I was reading up about MERS. It emerged in 2012. Its a coronavirus. Its believed it came from bat's into camels and then into humans.

2 things struck me:
    2) Infection is human to human transmission. Also infection can occur from infected camels.

1) There's no vaccine for mers. Would it be doubtful a vaccine can come about for this covid19?

2) Mers infection can come from infected camels. There has been reports of cats/tigers/dogs getting this coronavirus. Could it be possible that these animals, if infected can infect humans, especially cats and dogs because these animals are pets and part of the family for so many people. Like can dog licks from an infected animal pass it onto their owners/humans?

TBH all of these scenarios and more besides could happen.There hasn`t been enough time to know how this virus could develop or if a vaccine will be developed for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

2 things struck me:

Weeks ago I heard a virologist saying that they were making great progress on a SARS vaccine but funding was cut when the virus went away. She said if the SARS vaccine program has finished, the Covid19 vaccine would be a lot quicker.

WHO confirmed 2,519 MERS cases and 866 deaths. More than 8,000 people fell ill from SARS and 774 died. Since 2004, there have been no reported SARS cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not that simple.

The reason most governments told people that masks aren't that effective was to stop people going out and buying large numbers of face masks and reducing the supply to healthcare workers.
    Even 40 days ago trying to get a facemask online was all but impossible..

and then your in the shop when someone walks in with a surgical mask on with the top ties tied and the bottom ones hanging loose, i suspect he probably hadnt looked up how to wash your hands correctly either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

2 things struck me:

There's no MERS vaccine because the cases of it were fairly limited to a specific region. And it was contained with no further infections.
    More likely that humans would infect other mammals as they'd have more contact with potentially infected people.
    MERS and Covid are pretty similar, both respiratory illnesses so it would be like if the cold virus joined forces with the flu. If it were possible i'd be more worried if Covid joined up with Ebola which has a MUCH higher fatality rate than Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

893bet wrote: »
    There is no vaccine for mers or SARS as it’s not required (I.e not financially viable).

There will be one for CV19.

You or anyone else don`t know if this will ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

You or anyone else don`t know if this will ever happen.

Half this thread would be delighted if it didn’t appear by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes but the day before that happens you will fall in the bath and crack your head open.

But don't worry that happens when you are an old man. Before that you marry a beautiful Spanish girl and have three children.

Normally I'd ask you to cross my palm with silver but I'm telling fortunes gratis during the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

domrush wrote: »
    Half this thread would be delighted if it didn’t appear by the sounds of it.

Oh yes we really dont want to be able to go see our elderly parents for the next couple of years.

No one here would not want a reliable vaccine asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Oh yes we really dont want to be able to go see our elderly parents for the next couple of years.

No one here would not want a reliable vaccine asap

Well someone here was trying to second guess a virology professor in Oxford who has said that they could have one by August. People might not be unhappy at the prospect of a vaccine but they do seem to hone in on the worst case scenario for every single thing. It's like dealing with a bunch of nihilistic edgy teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

fullstop wrote: »
    I agree. Have noticed this weekend that people don't seem to give a **** about social distancing when out for a walk etc. Had a number of people nearly walk into me today, walking two and three abreast. Have been seeing neighbours having people over more and more in the past week as well.

Today has seemed like a normal Sunday in the city. Not the ghost town it was a couple of weeks back. I think people are getting bored of being inside. Me included I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Today has seemed like a normal Sunday in the city. Not the ghost town it was a couple of weeks back. I think people are getting bored of being inside. Me included I have to say.

It's understandable to a degree. The lockdown goes against every natural and societal instinct we have. I do hope people can toughen for the few more weeks, it's been phenomenal compared to the **** show I've seen in Denver on sky news.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-04-19/daily-coronavirus-deaths-in-spain-fall-to-410-the-lowest-figure-seen-in-a-month.html
    The number of daily coronavirus deaths registered in Spain fell to 410 on Sunday, according to the latest figures supplied by the Health Ministry. That is the lowest figure seen since March 22, when there were 394.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Spain 198,674 +4,258 21,238 +1,195 (new deaths)

I understand El Pais are using a different point for the days, but according to worldometer today has been the worst day since the whole thing started for Spain.
    I expect we will see a headline tomorrow in El Pais when they catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not that simple.

The reason most governments told people that masks aren't that effective was to stop people going out and buying large numbers of face masks and reducing the supply to healthcare workers.
    Even 40 days ago trying to get a facemask online was all but impossible..

Then tell people to use a scarf to cover their nose and mouth...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

This should have been mandatory in every country in the world weeks ago.
    RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    It's funny how a few weeks all these governments were telling everyone that masks are useless but now they re telling people use them. Imagine how many deaths could've been saved if they were not incompetent

But if the Chief Medical Officer has now said that community transmission is close to zero, and they got to this point with social distancing, and very little masks, why do we need masks now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Social distancing has been as strong as ever where I am. People not even staying on the same pavement as other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Come back in three weeks and do that comparison again. Have you seen their trend for the past 10 days?

It’s not a contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The great, incredible, unbelievable man himself is on now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    It's understandable to a degree. The lockdown goes against every natural and societal instinct we have. I do hope people can toughen for the few more weeks, it's been phenomenal compared to the **** show I've seen in Denver on sky news.

I've only seen clips of the US "protests" on twitter. Utter idiots though, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

trump time!

128987301340432670.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

But if the Chief Medical Officer has now said that community transmission is close to zero, and they got to this point with social distancing, and very little masks, why do we need masks now?

Because pretty much everything is shut and hardly anyone is using public transport! Lets see if community transmission stays close to zero once things start opening back up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Because pretty much everything is shut! Lets see if community transmission stays close to zero once things start opening back up

Not disagreeing with you on that. But it still shows that masks are not currently necessary no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Viruses have one goal: find hosts and multiply. Viruses that are highly fatal are generally not highly contagious. Mainly because the people that have them are too sick to be out and about spreading them, once everyone infected either dies or recovers, the virus fizzles out.

This coronavirus is a mutation of SARS (hence SARS-Cov-2) that is less fatal overall but far more contagious, because people who have it can be out and about spreading it for days before they become sick. Those who do become sick (ie require hospitalisation) essentially have developed SARS, at which point the virus is just as fatal. The problem is the gestation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Trump: This is a q-tip - this is an American q-tip - bigger and better than anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump has newspapers on hand, and is reading positive articles about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Praising himself as usual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I'm aroused seeing this great man in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

sounds like he's accepting an oscar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''it was hard to get it aroused, and it is hard to get it aroused, but I got it aroused ''

Those words will be used against him in soundbytes ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement