Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I've only seen clips of the US "protests" on twitter. Utter idiots though, IMHO.

Well look who's leading them. Trump doesn't take it seriously so why should the people? Whatever you think of Harris, Coveney or Varadker the message has been consistent, stay at home unless it's necessary for you to travel. For the most part the Irish people have complied. Trump on the other hand has used the hashtag of demonstrators in Michigan and has undermined his governor's as a result. I think flights to and from America will be kept to a minimum for the rest of 2020, whenever EU routes are re-established.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

entertainment at the finest....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We are the king of ventilators.... christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Viruses have one goal: find hosts and multiply. Viruses that are highly fatal are generally not highly contagious. Mainly because the people that have them are too sick to be out and about spreading them, once everyone infected either dies or recovers, the virus fizzles out.

This coronavirus is a mutation of SARS (hence SARS-Cov-2) that is less fatal overall but far more contagious, because people who have it can be out and about spreading it for days before they become sick. Those who do become sick (ie require hospitalisation) essentially have developed SARS, at which point the virus is just as fatal. The problem is the gestation period.

I think there is a hope that the virus will mutate and essentially Nerf itself into something more benign. However remote that is I don't know but hopefully it'll happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Viruses have one goal: find hosts and multiply. Viruses that are highly fatal are generally not highly contagious. Mainly because the people that have them are too sick to be out and about spreading them, once everyone infected either dies or recovers, the virus fizzles out.

This coronavirus is a mutation of SARS (hence SARS-Cov-2) that is less fatal overall but far more contagious, because people who have it can be out and about spreading it for days before they become sick. Those who do become sick (ie require hospitalisation) essentially have developed SARS, at which point the virus is just as fatal. The problem is the gestation period.

Yes, and HIV is a weird one. A gestation period of about a decade and near 100% cfr.

Imagine if that virus surfaced in the middle ages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not that simple.

The reason most governments told people that masks aren't that effective was to stop people going out and buying large numbers of face masks and reducing the supply to healthcare workers.
    Even 40 days ago trying to get a facemask online was all but impossible..
    All they needed to do was be honest with people.
    Tell them to make their own masks at home and leave the medical ones for the front line workers.
    People would have followed it quick enough.

He seems to be getting things done. Dont get the ill will against him.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

He went all in on ventilators while the rest of the world was buying ppe, reagent etc.

Now they are playing catchup on the testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yes, and HIV is a weird one. A gestation period of about a decade and near 100% cfr.

Likely burnt itself out - people weren't flying around the world at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What the Holy fcuk. Washing vegetables in a sh1tty puddle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It would have been just another yearly "plague" back then IG. They didn't just have the black death, they had rolling plagues of all kinds with different symptoms and different death rates for a couple of centuries. Never mind the usual background colds, flu, measles etc.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

'' people said it was the same as the flu, it's nothing like the flu at all''

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

theballz wrote: »
    As I said, I am waiting over two weeks. My case was prior.

Despite claims the backlog is gone, many still waiting on results or also some lost tests

I hope tomorrow you'll get yours and it'll be good news, take care

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

these speeches are getting very much the same, he needs new material

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jaysus, I think he see's Cuomo as a competitor to the throne even though he isn't running against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

trump is playing old clips of cuomo praising him. has the lights turned off too like it is a movie clip

this during a pandemic. bizzare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-04-19/daily-coronavirus-deaths-in-spain-fall-to-410-the-lowest-figure-seen-in-a-month.html

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Spain 198,674 +4,258 21,238 +1,195 (new deaths)

I understand El Pais are using a different point for the days, but according to worldometer today has been the worst day since the whole thing started for Spain.
    I expect we will see a headline tomorrow in El Pais when they catch up

World meters has changed its numbers of deaths for spain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

trumps video intern getting fired

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fritzelly wrote: »
    Likely burnt itself out - people weren't flying around the world at the time
    1lccxa.jpg

This is Yersinia pestis, AKA plague.

B2200768-Yersinia_pestis_plague_bacteria.jpg

It killed between 100 and 200 million people and reduced the population by a third when the Black Death came rolling through and changed the course of human history(mostly for the better actually).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

MD1990 wrote: »
    trump is playing old clips of cuomo praising him. has the lights turned off too like it is a movie clip

this during a pandemic. bizzare

I think Trump said that Cuomo clip was from this morning . I don't know either way. Is it an old clip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mexico back in the circle of trust it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭kyote00

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    I think Trump said that Cuomo clip was from this morning . I don't know either way. Is it an old clip?

Its from today I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

That's like Lord of the Flies

• Registered Users Posts: 19,230 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

froog wrote: »
    trump time!

128987301340432670.jpg

At least Mel's made a few good films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭kyote00

But he won;t show DiBlazio clip...
    Jake1 wrote: »
    Its from today I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

893bet wrote: »
    There is no vaccine for mers or SARS as it’s not required (I.e not financially viable).

There will be one for CV19.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I hope you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

growleaves wrote: »
    It would be unusual for a respiratory disease to fail to give you immunity.

I'm not saying it can't happen but we're back to worst-case-scenario speculations.

The situation is unknown - therefore its possible that the worst and least likely scenario could play out. That is the terms in which we are discussing this.

You immune to the common cold then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

s1ippy wrote: »
    That's like Lord of the Flies

OT

But that is a great book.
    Was our novel in Leaving Cert English back in 1990.

Love the old B&W television version too.

(poor Piggy)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement