Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭This is it

s1ippy wrote: »
    Great criticism, well said.

I wasted enough time reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

This is it wrote: »
    It's a while since I've read so much drivel in a single post.

Just a quick post to +1 this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I don't know either but, even if they did, the difference between 1981 and 2020 in terms of scientific knowledge, research and ability to replicate genomes is extraordinary. Sequencing the human genome costs thousands now when it would have been millions in the 1980's. Science becomes more efficient all the time..

The first human genome took $2.7 billion and 13 years to complete, the project was launched in 1990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

MipMap wrote: »
    I remember being told hand sanitizer was not necessary and soap and water
    was all you needed. I remember being told this disease could not be transmitted by aerosol, only by sneezing or coughing. Cat's and dogs could not transmit it.

I'm not sure of this but did they not say in the early stages of AIDS that the blood supply was safe?

Yeah, the American blood supply was not tested for HIV until the late ‘80s despite the CDC knowing since 1983 that one way it was transmitted was via blood.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nice summary of recent events by Fergal Bowers.

Virus strain begins to show http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0410/1129892-virus-strain-begins-to-show/ via @RTENewsNow

The issue of how the state handled the nursing homes should not be forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

People starting to lose confidence in Tony, flat out refuses to say how many are waiting on results, says he doesn't know, but he was quick to know it's not 51000 as was mentioned.

Once people lose confidence they will start to disobey.

Just be transparent that's all anyone wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/gabrielleigh/2020/04/10/sweden-continues-with-controversial-coronavirus-strategy-is-it-a-big-mistake/amp/

It appears from this article that Ireland are taking a somewhat similar approach to Sweden when it comes to enforcing the guidelines. I don't know how a "caretaker" "government" can be entitled to be making these life and death decisions (for example, not to penalise people who are flouting restrictions) but at least I'm optimistic that if enough of a society is left at the end to have an enquiry, the Covid tribunal will show this dictatorship up for what it is.

Basically Leo hates the poor. He's said it in every other way that you can besides actually coming out and saying it. Before he is kicked off his unelected pedestal (not forgetting that he was Taoiseach and his own constituents didn't even want him there, was it five counts? And he just replaced Enda to be party leader or "president" as he referred to himself today), he seems hell-bent on using this crisis as an opportunity to take out as many people who hate his government as possible.

I'm talking about all the people who are working at the moment, by the way.

Hear me out. If all the upper middle class who think they're too good for the lockdown travel this weekend (and his flimsy warnings against it and totally inadequate deterrents indicated that he didn't really give a sh!t what they do), there will be a huge surge on hospitals in two weeks. Like we are NOT doing well. Was it 65 or 70% of cases are community transmission? So we don't know how they got it.

The next Cheltenham is Easter and isn't it ironic they'll all be dying for Leo's sins like he's some kind of
    edgy biracial sexually enlightened
    Jesus. I hid that because it's probably offensive if you're religious, but it's actually probably the only compliment I can pay the man, his race and sexuality are progressive and his politics are completely medieval.

I just can't wait for him to paraphrase Marie Antoinette later this year when the flour supply chains from Italy inevitably cack it.
    fcuk I never thought of the flour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Can somebody please explain as to why some people shrug off this virus as nothing more than a common cold or a mild flu, (Brazil's President comes to mind), yet other healthy people end up on a ventilator and may die!

Do we know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

US2 wrote: »
    People starting to lose confidence in Tony, flat out refuses to say how many are waiting on results, says he doesn't know, but he was quick to know it's not 51000 as was mentioned.

Once people lose confidence they will start to disobey.

Just be transparent that's all anyone wants.

The fact he said on the 7th of March that he was only expecting a few cases in Ireland also doesn’t inspire much faith for any future predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Thank you for this latest thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-04-10/coronavirus-infection-can-do-lasting-damage-to-the-heart-liver?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

An article from yesterday in LA times that summarises links to various early studies on longer term effects in body for survivors. Both those with severe symptoms and those with mild. Covers possible impaired liver function, effects on heart, kidneys, blood system, possibility of dormancy or latency, clots, fibrosis of lungs, autoimmune responses, etc. There are no long term survivors yet as it is too new a disease. These are all early speculations/ research.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Can somebody please explain as to why some people shrug off this virus as nothing more than a common cold or a mild flu, (Brazil's President comes to mind), yet other healthy people end up on a ventilator and may die!

Do we know why?

You're not the only one asking that :)
    I don't think anyone knows the answer yet, but I suspect viral load plays a factor, possibly genetics too? Idk.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Is it an absolute certainty that if some gets rid of it they dont pick it up quickly again?

Also does the virus cause any long term lung damage for people who even recover?

https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200410006500320

There seems to be evidence of virus reactivation according to the South Korean CDC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Gynoid wrote: »
    https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-04-10/coronavirus-infection-can-do-lasting-damage-to-the-heart-liver?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

An article from yesterday in LA times that summarises links to various early studies on longer term effects in body for survivors. Both those with severe symptoms and those with mild. Covers possible impaired liver function, effects on heart, kidneys, blood system, possibility of dormancy or latency, clots, fibrosis of lungs, autoimmune responses, etc. There are no long term survivors yet as it is too new a disease. These are all early speculations/ research.

That is so scary for a disease that's spreading so fast.

The fact he said on the 7th of March that he was only expecting a few cases in Ireland also doesn’t inspire much faith for any future predictions.

It was beyond me how anyone thought we were low risk in those early days. And that coming from a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Please let the barbers open up soon. The head on me 😩😩

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Please let the barbers open up soon. The head on me ����

Genuinely in a state of disbelief at how many folks are worried about their hair...In work it's literally all 40% of the lads are talking about, not the football or the virus but thier fcuking hair:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

We'd be doing well if we came out of this with just bad hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

My missus cut mine....i may look like an extra out of Mad Max but at least my hair is short

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I remember him saying that ,also he said we were very low risk of getting the virus ,, the stupidity of telling the Northern Italy ski trip people to carry on about daily business unless they show any symptoms was just madness tho ,, the band camp lad who was waiting for his result going to the class ,, none of this is hindsight talk either loads were screaming blue murder at the time over this ,,it was well documented that this virus is contagious and you might not show symptoms for a while ,,

What skin off his nose was it just to tell people returning home from northern Italy to self isolate for 2 weeks back then .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Please let the barbers open up soon. The head on me ����

Ive had my hair cut about 3 times in my life by a barber/hairdresser. Mind I just give myself a 0 all round beard and all. I only need to do it every 6 weeks- 2 months. A significant other could do a more complex cut/trim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ive had my hair cut about 3 times in my life by a barber/hairdresser. Mind I just give myself a 0 all round beard and all. I only need to do it every 6 weeks- 2 months. A significant other could do a more complex cut/trim.

I’ve a lumpy head. They won’t do.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

How come it affects some healthy young people so bad even fatal in some cases and some people have it and they might not even have a temperature? Is there different strains of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭tigger123

Sean 18 wrote: »
    How come it affects some healthy young people so bad even fatal in some cases and some people have it and they might not even have a temperature? Is there different strains of it

Not different strains, but they don't know why it affects different people in different ways. Think I heard on the radio yesterday that the WHO are doing studies on that particular aspect of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

If you don't want to shave your head, there's always a sheep shears

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1248325832243916802

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

tigger123 wrote: »
    Not different strains, but they don't know why it affects different people in different ways. Think I heard on the radio yesterday that the WHO are doing studies on that particular aspect of it.

Some were saying on the last thread that it may have something to do with viral load.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gynoid wrote: »

The problem with that kinda thing G is because as you say it's a "new" disease so supposition is rife, with an understandable hint of fear, even panic attached. Add in the natural human competitive rush to be the first with results and..

The main problem I see with that research is they're only looking at people who were sick enough to end up needing medical attention, including those who ended up in ICU's even sedated, intubated and ventilated often for weeks at a time. Never mind that the majority of those very serious cases are older and with at least one underlying condition, often more than one.

What I would be doing is looking at people who ended up in ICU's in the past, before Covid 19. People who were sedated, intubated and ventilated for other reasons. I'm no doctor, but I'll bet the farm that those people are going to show various long lasting issues too. From both what landed them in ICU and the medical process to save them. Sedation for that length of time is tricky and hard on the body, mechanical ventilation is bloody hard on the body too and takes a long recovery time. Never mind that you're not eating, hydration is through a drip, catheter up the how's yer father for waste disposal.

If you look into the experiments on long term issues with space flight where they get volunteers to lay in bed for weeks to stimulate low gravity, they get all sorts of bodily function changes and they're perfectly healthy younger people who are not immobile and unconscious with tubes everywhere. I mean medical health advice for office workers at desks is to get up and walk around once an hour, because it's not good for the body to keep sitting for too long.

TL;DR? I'd be waiting a goodly while until all the results, or at least better results, are in before jumping to any conclusions about such long term damage in the vast majority of people who contract this dose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I see Mexico has closed down a plant making ventilators as it can only export them to America and has said that since it doesn't benefit Mexicans, it isn't an essential business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I see Mexico has closed down a plant making ventilators as it can only export them to America and has said that since it doesn't benefit Mexicans, it isn't an essential business.

will they not treat Mexican Americans in the American hospitals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Initially I was terrified what would happen if we didn't bring in restrictions. We managed to bring them in but it was always slightly after the fact.
    I've been impressed with how society are rallying around vulnerable but if I look at the situation coldly I'm not so happy. At every step there has been people on here doing their best to raise awareness fighting pitched battles with the wilfully ignorant. It's great to see so many like minded people on here but I've spent most of my time pointing out utter horsesho!t written by people who are clearly working for some vested interest in a volunteer or professional capacity.
    • cancel the match / parade => leave pubs open so people travelled anyway
    • open glamour testing centres => no possibility of processing them => massive testing backlog to this way
    • transparency through obfuscation => It should not take that long to explain a number
    • Proper PPE for front-line staff => highest rate of HCW infected AFIK (as a percentage of total cases) All you need to do is compare how our staff look compared to other countries to know we were given run around.
    • Talking AROUND numbers has turned into a national sport
    • Nursing home situation needs investigation. God knows how many people who could have pulled through were signed away by well wishing family who stood to gain financially. Horrible to think but I've seen this first hand with family and houses.

I wasn't surprised in the least that extensions were extended. I'm still not happy about not having a clear exit strategy. Strategy has been weak throughout. We were more concerned with cowing EU, vintners , Bord failte than getting ahead of this curve.

Getting to the stage of just getting on with the new reality. This will be hear for a very long time if the whole international community doesn't work together. Best just get used to new normal and keep yourself and loved ones happy and safe.

Happy Saturday. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement