Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I posted this on the mask thread earlier:

Was listening to a virologist from Lancaster University this morning on how the virus can be transmitted by just talking to another person. This is now accepted in the wider medical community and it really should come as no surprise to anyone. This is why some of us have been saying for many weeks that masks are so important.

Yesterday, there was a poster talking about the 15-minute rule required to get the virus, and how it was not possible to contract the virus by a heavy breathing jogger passing close by you. Neither of these statements are true, and they actually sound illogical knowing how contagious Covid-19 is. The same illogical guidance is what we are receiving from the HSE and government about not wearing masks. I expect though that there will be a slow u-turn by them on this.

Wonder if anyone saw the BBC Hoziron's program during the week about the virus. It was truly an eye opener. The exponential nature of where we are with the virus was shocking. We are past the point of no return according to the presented graphs .... mathematically speaking. There was a moment when we could have leveled the curve to stop the exponential increase, but that time has passed.

We should remember with all of this not-too-positive news though is that thousands of very clever people around the globe are using their expertise to come up with solutions. One report this morning talked about a September vaccine. Whether or not it is a realistic expectation for a safe vaccine so soon, there are positive reports of vaccine progress and other treatments to reduce the symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Another day where this has been blown out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Not politically motivated atall , I think the government has handled this well in regards to unemployment and businesses under pressure but I have completely lost what little faith I had in Tony hoolahan and co.
    Fudging numbers since the start which I proved here on boards on day 3 when my friend got a positive result on a friday but it wasnt announced until the following Wednesday.
    Every day he tells us how much testing capabilities we have, last night he said NO ONE was waiting to be tested?
    He has flat out refused to answer how many are awaiting on test results or how long the wait is yet he is very quick and knows it's not 51000 waiting results as reported by Michael Martin.
    This is from a guy who expected us not to have any community spread AFTER someone who hadn't traveled or been in contact with a confirmed case?

Treat us with respect, give us transparency and we will respect you and your guidance.

I was thinking at the start, we might actually handle this well but no typical Ireland everything's a secret.

We dont need an excuse or to hide anything, some of the best healthcare systems in the world are struggling, we expect our health system to struggle.

Tell us the truth or we lose confidence and ignore you because your full of fibs!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Another day where this has been blown out of proportion.

Will you say the same thing if you were grasping for breath in hospital?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sean 18 wrote: »
    How come it affects some healthy young people so bad even fatal in some cases and some people have it and they might not even have a temperature? Is there different strains of it
    From what I've read on the Wuhan research into kids who caught it and almost always have mild symptoms, it appears to not get into the lungs to any great degree with children. It stays in the upper respiratory system, the throat, sinuses, for some reason. This appears to be the case with the really mild symptoms in adults too. So those who only have the lose of taste and smell as a symptom it's in the head and appears to stay there. In some it goes into the lungs and causes stronger symptoms and in a minority that goes onto serious symptoms in the lungs. As for healthy young people getting it bad even fatally, they appear to be a small minority. In Italy's case every single person under 40 that died from it had very serious underlying health conditions.

What I've noticed in a completely unscientific way I grant you is when you see reports in the media of younger people in their 20's and 30's, even 40's who've tragically died from this, the majority are overweight and usually obese. That appears to be a pretty big factor. Even in the images of the Italian wards a goodly proportion are pretty stocky men, not so many whippet thin people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Wibbs wrote: »
    The problem with that kinda thing G is because as you say it's a "new" disease so supposition is rife, with an understandable hint of fear, even panic attached. Add in the natural human competitive rush to be the first with results and..

The main problem I see with that research is they're only looking at people who were sick enough to end up needing medical attention, including those who ended up in ICU's even sedated, intubated and ventilated often for weeks at a time. Never mind that the majority of those very serious cases are older and with at least one underlying condition, often more than one.

What I would be doing is looking at people who ended up in ICU's in the past, before Covid 19. People who were sedated, intubated and ventilated for other reasons. I'm no doctor, but I'll bet the farm that those people are going to show various long lasting issues too. From both what landed them in ICU and the medical process to save them. Sedation for that length of time is tricky and hard on the body, mechanical ventilation is bloody hard on the body too and takes a long recovery time. Never mind that you're not eating, hydration is through a drip, catheter up the how's yer father for waste disposal.

If you look into the experiments on long term issues with space flight where they get volunteers to lay in bed for weeks to stimulate low gravity, they get all sorts of bodily function changes and they're perfectly healthy younger people who are not immobile and unconscious with tubes everywhere. I mean medical health advice for office workers at desks is to get up and walk around once an hour, because it's not good for the body to keep sitting for too long.

TL;DR? I'd be waiting a goodly while until all the results, or at least better results, are in before jumping to any conclusions about such long term damage in the vast majority of people who contract this dose.

I agree. We will have to meet back here in 3 to 6 months and longer to report anything approaching more certain indices. I still think it is an important consideration in policy planning, as people with mild (who knows what that means right now!) symptoms were included in some of the studies.

Achasanai wrote: »
    If you don't want to shave your head, there's always a sheep shears

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1248325832243916802

Haha :D i feared for his ears every second of that video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

From what I've read on the Wuhan research into kids who caught it and almost always have mild symptoms, it appears to not get into the lungs to any great degree with children. It stays in the upper respiratory system, the throat, sinuses, for some reason. This appears to be the case with the really mild symptoms in adults too. So those who only have the lose of taste and smell as a symptom it's in the head and appears to stay there. In some it goes into the lungs and causes stronger symptoms and in a minority that goes onto serious symptoms in the lungs. As for healthy young people getting it bad even fatally, they appear to be a small minority. In Italy's case every single person under 40 that died from it had very serious underlying health conditions.

What I've noticed in a completely unscientific way I grant you is when you see reports in the media of younger people in their 20's and 30's, even 40's who've tragically died from this, the majority are overweight and usually obese. That appears to be a pretty big factor. Even in the images of the Italian wards a goodly proportion are pretty stocky men, not so many whippet thin people.

Where are you getting these statements from

Majority of under 40 deaths in italy had very serious underlying health issues

People who died in 20s 30s or 40s, majority of them were overweight.

Why would you pull such statements straight out of your arsee and post em here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gynoid wrote: »
    I agree. We will have to meet back here in 3 to 6 months and longer to report anything approaching more certain indices. I still think it is an important consideration in policy planning, as people with mild (who knows what that means right now!) symptoms were included in some of the studies.
    Not quite though G. As the article says In a study posted this week, scientists in China examined the blood test results of 34 COVID-19 patients over the course of their hospitalization They were seen as serious enough to end up in hospital. Never mind it's just 34 patients. Absolutely tiny number to be drawing conclusions from. Never mind that it's over the short term of their hospitalisation.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Not quite though G. As the article says In a study posted this week, scientists in China examined the blood test results of 34 COVID-19 patients over the course of their hospitalization They were seen as serious enough to end up in hospital. Never mind it's just 34 patients. Absolutely tiny number to be drawing conclusions from. Never mind that it's over the short term of their hospitalisation.

Ohhhkay, okay, they were in hospital.... sheesh, can get away with nothing here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Any word on this South Korea re-infection thing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gynoid wrote: »
    Haha :D i feared for his ears every second of that video

Reminds me of the time my father was shearing one of the rams and forgot it was a ram!

:eek:

US2 wrote: »

1) the overweight thing I pointed out was "What I've noticed in a completely unscientific way I grant you".

2) Here's the Italian study on patients up until March the 17th. All of those who died under 40 had serious underlying conditions. Of the rest under 1% had no underlying illnesses. The majority of deaths were in older people, two thirds of whom had high blood pressure, a third had diabetes, a third had heart disease. Most suffered from more than one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

eagle eye wrote: »
    Any word on this South Korea re-infection thing today?

It's very unlikely to be reinfection. Remnants of virus, reactivation at a very low level or faulty tests. Global reinfection would be a sh1tshow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

I don’t understand the US at all. The people seem to be blind to the failures of their politicians. The bipartisan divide is so strong, that if their respective leader does anything, they praise it. Have they forgotten the “doctors want to keep you locked up,” or “I want full churches by Easter” comment, or touting a medical therapy with no formal clinical trials. I feel that if an Irish leader did all that, we would rip them apart. But they seem to lap it up in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Educate yourself.... This was discussed at length ....including proper referencing

I don’t understand the US at all. The people seem to be blind to the failures of their politicians. The bipartisan divide is so strong, that if their respective leader does anything, they praise it. Have they forgotten the “doctors want to keep you locked up,” or “I want full churches by Easter” comment, or touting a medical therapy with no formal clinical trials. I feel that if an Irish leader did all that, we would rip them apart. But they seem to lap it up in the US

Even SF and the DUP can work together to tackle this crisis

America is fcuked,mass graves being dug in NY and they at each others throats over party politics

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People are tired of the omg Trump this and that.

So they aren't listening anymore.

Whether that is good or bad is immaterial.

Look at the Trump threads on boards, the sanctimony and righteousness is off the chart.

I see staff of cavan hospital are asking questions as to how the press can report that 70 staff members have covid 19. They say it's all lies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Treat us with respect, give us transparency and we will respect you and your guidance.

I was thinking at the start, we might actually handle this well but no typical Ireland everything's a secret.

We dont need an excuse or to hide anything, some of the best healthcare systems in the world are struggling, we expect our health system to struggle.

Tell us the truth or we lose confidence and ignore you because your full of fibs!!

I really don't think they are telling any fibs. If anything they are over explaining. They gave two figures for total tests because they gave one including the German data (old cases) and one without; the latter is better to use for day on day trends as otherwise you have a big spike when the extra cases come in. Thats how I see it and I can understand the rationale but they didn't explain it well. I think it may be a case of not seeing the wood for the trees if you have all this data and so much else coming at you. I have nothing but admiration and pity in equal measure for Holohan.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »

Look at the Trump threads on boards, the sanctimony and righteousness is off the chart.

Have you seen his rambling 'conferences' every night? Yesterday he said that "The the germ has gotten so brilliant that the antibiotic can't keep up with it." He's so thick and ignorant he doesn't understand it's a virus. It's not that people are tired of him, they understand he's just plain stoopid. Sanctimony and righteousness my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

Danzy wrote: »

Healthcare workers in the US are having to do high-risk procedures (e.g. intubation), in the absence of appropriate PPE. Healthcare workers are losing their jobs because of their willingness to speak out.

Patients are hanging their hopes on an experimental therapy, with little concrete evidence.

There is talk that people will be allowed to attend churches for Easter.

None of this is political talk. This is fact, fact that could and will cost lives

Have you seen his rambling 'conferences' every night? Yesterday he said that "The the germ has gotten so brilliant that the antibiotic can't keep up with it." He's so thick and ignorant he doesn't understand it's a virus. It's not that people are tired of him, they understand he's just plain stoopid. Sanctimony and righteousness my arse.

I'm off the group that doesn't care about trump. I'm indifferent to him, I find those who get annoyed by his personality more entertaining than anything.
    His weaknesses might be his best selling point. The slack hawed yokels understand him as well as everyone else

I'm off the group that doesn't care about trump. I'm indifferent to him, I find those who get annoyed by his personality more entertaining than anything.
    His weaknesses might be his best selling point. The slack hawed yokels understand him as well as everyone else

His 'weaknesses' have caused 1,000s of people to die. His inability to comprehend that this virus would spread and kill meant that he promoted the idea that it was a hoax. Or maybe he just didn't give a sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Strazdas wrote: »
    An Oxford University professor (Sarah Gilbert) thinks a vaccine could be ready as soon as September.

You would really hope so.....lots of gloomy speculation across the board today that restrictions and social distancing could easily go on for another year at least worldwide (causing havoc for economies, travel, tourism and sport).

That quite a misleading article (assuming you read it on Sky). The headline implies that it’s likely it will be ready by September, but then in the article the Professor says she is 80% sure it will be ready, but that this is her own personal view and that there are no guarantees. There’s also no mention of whether she means ready in the context that it is found to work by September or ready in the context that there are billions of doses ready to inoculate everyone. I suspect it’s the former.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Watching Fox is comparable to watching MUFC TV or something - it's like they're supporting a football team

CNN are nearly as bad but they're on the other side of the argument - and slightly more subtle.

So it's normal for them - ingrained in their mentality at this stage.

They wouldn't get away with it in Ireland - at least, not as blatantly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Even SF and the DUP can work together to tackle this crisis

America is fcuked,mass graves being dug in NY and they at each others throats over party politics

They're currently doing better than Ireland.

So, if this is your judgement of the U.S - what is your judgement on how our leaders are doing?

Most people coming out with foolish statements like "America is fooked" etc. Are not actually basing it on anything solid. It's mostly just wishful thinking, because they're so blinded by hatred of Trump!

Look at all the stupid stuff our CMO has come out with over the last few weeks, getting so many things badly wrong... or all the pointless vanity and preening of our Taoiseach, with his PR sh!te while hundreds of people are now dying on our Island... but not a peep out of many of you??

Double standards! You defend our hopeless leaders to the hilt, no matter how poorly they perform, but then ridicule leaders in the U.S or UK... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

I see staff of cavan hospital are asking questions as to how the press can report that 70 staff members have covid 19. They say it's all lies

Could everyone please read the statement below from Dr Val Gough, Consultant, Cavan General Hospital,
    The report that was published online in the Irish Times and from the Anglo Celt yesterday afternoon was not representative of what is actually happening in the hospital,
    All this report managed to do was undermine the confidence of our patients and families of what is happening in the hospital but also it completely misrepresented the fantastic effort that is taking place 24/07 in our hospital from all the staff, each playing an essential role at this time,
    This is a pandemic, there is no manual available to manage this and the situation changes on an hourly basis but together we are working collectively to get through this,

We would appreciate the support of everyone at this time, this is a time of uncertainty for us too, we are not invincible either,
    It would have been nice to have better support from our local paper and media outlets,

So please read this and please share too

Thanks Dr Gough,

Sir - Concerning the article,

The opening statement is untrue: "Consultants sent to Cavan hospital after 70 medics infected with coronavirus". No Consultant has been sent to Cavan hospital. Furthermore, in the article, it says that the IHCA (Irish Hospital Consultants Association - who deal exclusively with consultants) members are being dispatched by the IHCA, again this is untrue. They have done no such thing.

Beaumont Hospital/RCSI group has kindly had Non-Consultant Hospital Doctors (NCHDs) offer their services to Cavan Monaghan Hospital which is greatly appreciated as a short term interim measure and in keeping with the ethos of a group partnership.

Yours

Dr Val Gough

They're currently doing better than Ireland.

So, if this is your judgement of the U.S - what is your judgement on how our leaders are doing?

Most people coming out with foolish statements like "America is fooked" etc. Are not actually basing it on anything solid. It's mostly just wishful thinking, because they're so blinded by hatred of Trump!

Look at all the stupid stuff our CMO has come out with over the last few weeks, getting so many things badly wrong... or all the pointless vanity and preening of our Taoiseach, with his PR sh!te while hundreds of people are now dying on our Island... but not a peep out of many of you??

Double standards! You defend our hopeless leaders to the hilt, no matter how poorly they perform, but then ridicule leaders in the U.S or UK... :rolleyes:

Nowhere have i defended the leaderz here??

Quite why yous think critism of partisanism in face of a proper crisis amounts to defending anyone is all on you.....

.people in north were in protracted near on civil war,killing thousands and can put aside party politics and still work together....im indifferent to the divide in the US(dont see any huge difference tbh) ,but people are simply going to die in droves,while politians argue over pointless sh1te there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

Source! Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement