Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wibbs wrote: »

What I've noticed in a completely unscientific way I grant you is when you see reports in the media of younger people in their 20's and 30's, even 40's who've tragically died from this, the majority are overweight and usually obese. That appears to be a pretty big factor. Even in the images of the Italian wards a goodly proportion are pretty stocky men, not so many whippet thin people.

GP friend of mine has told me there appear to be more cases of young healthy people getting heart attacks and dying suddenly. Difficulty getting autopsies done. I’m not sure if these are included in official figures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

They're currently doing better than Ireland.

So, if this is your judgement of the U.S - what is your judgement on how our leaders are doing?

Most people coming out with foolish statements like "America is fooked" etc. Are not actually basing it on anything solid. It's mostly just wishful thinking, because they're so blinded by hatred of Trump!

Look at all the stupid stuff our CMO has come out with over the last few weeks, getting so many things badly wrong... or all the pointless vanity and preening of our Taoiseach, with his PR sh!te while hundreds of people are now dying on our Island... but not a peep out of many of you??

Double standards! You defend our hopeless leaders to the hilt, no matter how poorly they perform, but then ridicule leaders in the U.S or UK... :rolleyes:

Leo used a quote from Terminator 2 in one of his speeches. Imagine Trump did that!

Stop the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

So, if this is your judgement of the U.S - what is your judgement on how our leaders are doing?

Most people coming out with foolish statements like "America is fooked" etc. Are not actually basing it on anything solid. It's mostly just wishful thinking, because they're so blinded by hatred of Trump!

Look at all the stupid stuff our CMO has come out with over the last few weeks, getting so many things badly wrong... or all the pointless vanity and preening of our Taoiseach, with his PR sh!te while hundreds of people are now dying on our Island... but not a peep out of many of you??

Double standards! You defend our hopeless leaders to the hilt, no matter how poorly they perform, but then ridicule leaders in the U.S or UK... :rolleyes:

In the context of coronavirus, would you rather be in Ireland or the US in the next two months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

chin nuts wrote: »
    Could everyone please read the statement below from Dr Val Gough, Consultant, Cavan General Hospital,
    The report that was published online in the Irish Times and from the Anglo Celt yesterday afternoon was not representative of what is actually happening in the hospital,
    All this report managed to do was undermine the confidence of our patients and families of what is happening in the hospital but also it completely misrepresented the fantastic effort that is taking place 24/07 in our hospital from all the staff, each playing an essential role at this time,
    This is a pandemic, there is no manual available to manage this and the situation changes on an hourly basis but together we are working collectively to get through this,

We would appreciate the support of everyone at this time, this is a time of uncertainty for us too, we are not invincible either,
    It would have been nice to have better support from our local paper and media outlets,

So please read this and please share too

Thanks Dr Gough,

Sir - Concerning the article,

The opening statement is untrue: "Consultants sent to Cavan hospital after 70 medics infected with coronavirus". No Consultant has been sent to Cavan hospital. Furthermore, in the article, it says that the IHCA (Irish Hospital Consultants Association - who deal exclusively with consultants) members are being dispatched by the IHCA, again this is untrue. They have done no such thing.

Beaumont Hospital/RCSI group has kindly had Non-Consultant Hospital Doctors (NCHDs) offer their services to Cavan Monaghan Hospital which is greatly appreciated as a short term interim measure and in keeping with the ethos of a group partnership.

Yours

Dr Val Gough

The person who called bs on this publically stated so on Facebook. He works in the hospital for the hse..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

macmahon wrote: »
    Source! Thanks.

I can pm you a link. But it's from Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Has anybody else noticed the direct correlation between topics discussed? When criticism is being levelled against our leadership, the number of trump posts increases dramatically on this thread. -> look over there!

Interesting .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In the context of coronavirus, would you rather be in Ireland or the US in the next two months?
    It wouldn't make a difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

crossman47 wrote: »
    I really don't think they are telling any fibs. If anything they are over explaining. They gave two figures for total tests because they gave one including the German data (old cases) and one without; the latter is better to use for day on day trends as otherwise you have a big spike when the extra cases come in. Thats how I see it and I can understand the rationale but they didn't explain it well. I think it may be a case of not seeing the wood for the trees if you have all this data and so much else coming at you. I have nothing but admiration and pity in equal measure for Holohan.

They need to provide this information each day.

How many tests are in the system but incomplete?
    Of the days positive cases, how many completed tests did those positives come from?
    How many tests were completed that day?
    How many test applications are outstanding, that haven't entered the testing process?
    What is the current test turn around time?

All this would take around 1 min to relay in the daily press conference.

They keep telling us what the test capacity will be in a few days or week. Don't worry about that. Just tell us what the actual test capacity is.

Anything thoughts on why they might not be forthcoming with the basic test statistics?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

theballz wrote: »
    I’ve had symptoms the last week or so, today has been absolutely horrendous. It has been one of the worst days I can remember, throughout the day i would get this horrible sensation that someone pushing down on my chest. Struggling to breathe and coughing until I got sick

Have my test tomorrow morning in tallaght, i hope I am not waiting two weeks like others for results. Though I already know that I have it.

Right now the migraine is bad. I cannot sleep, when I lie down i feel like I will choke.

If you have a very high temperature that doesn’t lower sufficiently with two paracetamol then you should ring 999.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭raxy

The WHO situation report for yesterday shows 1069 new cases for Ireland but the numbers given here for yesterday are 480.
    Is that due to different reporting times & there'll be a big jump today or is there a mistake in the numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

eagle eye wrote: »
    It wouldn't make a difference to me.

You think containment measures and access to healthcare are exactly the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

raxy wrote: »
    The WHO situation report for yesterday shows 1069 new cases for Ireland but the numbers given here for yesterday are 480.
    Is that due to different reporting times & there'll be a big jump today or is there a mistake in the numbers?

The Germans processed a bunch of our tests, those numbers are the German results added.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

By what measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

chin nuts wrote: »
    Could everyone please read the statement below from Dr Val Gough, Consultant, Cavan General Hospital,
    The report that was published online in the Irish Times and from the Anglo Celt yesterday afternoon was not representative of what is actually happening in the hospital,
    All this report managed to do was undermine the confidence of our patients and families of what is happening in the hospital but also it completely misrepresented the fantastic effort that is taking place 24/07 in our hospital from all the staff, each playing an essential role at this time,
    This is a pandemic, there is no manual available to manage this and the situation changes on an hourly basis but together we are working collectively to get through this,

We would appreciate the support of everyone at this time, this is a time of uncertainty for us too, we are not invincible either,
    It would have been nice to have better support from our local paper and media outlets,

So please read this and please share too

Thanks Dr Gough,

Sir - Concerning the article,

The opening statement is untrue: "Consultants sent to Cavan hospital after 70 medics infected with coronavirus". No Consultant has been sent to Cavan hospital. Furthermore, in the article, it says that the IHCA (Irish Hospital Consultants Association - who deal exclusively with consultants) members are being dispatched by the IHCA, again this is untrue. They have done no such thing.

Beaumont Hospital/RCSI group has kindly had Non-Consultant Hospital Doctors (NCHDs) offer their services to Cavan Monaghan Hospital which is greatly appreciated as a short term interim measure and in keeping with the ethos of a group partnership.

Yours

Dr Val Gough

Complete double speak. They didn't send consultants. They sent doctors during this short term interim? Clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    The person who called bs on this publically stated so on Facebook. He works in the hospital for the hse..

Called bs on what??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Wombatman wrote: »
    They need to provide this information each day.

How many tests are in the system but incomplete?
    Of the days positive cases, how many completed tests did those positives come from?
    How many tests were completed that day?
    How many test applications are outstanding, that haven't entered the testing process?
    What is the current test turn around time?

All this would take around 1 min to relay in the daily press conference.

They keep telling us what the test capacity will be in a few days or week. Don't worry about that. Just tell us what the actual test capacity is.

Anything thoughts on why they might not be forthcoming with the basic test statistics?

BTW I don't care if a test result cames from a German lab or a Dublin lab, or a Mars lab.

A completed test is a completed test. A positive is a positive. The German thing is being used as a welcome distraction by Tony and Co.

raxy wrote:
    The WHO situation report for yesterday shows 1069 new cases for Ireland but the numbers given here for yesterday are 480. Is that due to different reporting times & there'll be a big jump today or is there a mistake in the numbers?
    One number is cases tested in Ireland only. Other number is cases tested in Germany. Total of 1515 new cases is what I've got on worldometers.info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

crossman47 wrote: »
    I really don't think they are telling any fibs. If anything they are over explaining. They gave two figures for total tests because they gave one including the German data (old cases) and one without; the latter is better to use for day on day trends as otherwise you have a big spike when the extra cases come in. Thats how I see it and I can understand the rationale but they didn't explain it well. I think it may be a case of not seeing the wood for the trees if you have all this data and so much else coming at you. I have nothing but admiration and pity in equal measure for Holohan.

I didnt mention German figures atall. I understood 100% why they wouldnt be added to daily figures.

He apparently has no idea how many people are awaiting results but definitely knows it's not 51000. That's my issue.

Asked how many test centres were OPEN, he says there is 49 test centres, some of which are not open due to lack of demand.

He says there is NOBODY in Ireland waiting to be tested

Right you are Tony.

Am I the the only one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I don’t understand the US at all. The people seem to be blind to the failures of their politicians. The bipartisan divide is so strong, that if their respective leader does anything, they praise it. Have they forgotten the “doctors want to keep you locked up,” or “I want full churches by Easter” comment, or touting a medical therapy with no formal clinical trials. I feel that if an Irish leader did all that, we would rip them apart. But they seem to lap it up in the US

You’re right. You don’t understand Americans at all.

• Advertisement

You think containment measures and access to healthcare are exactly the same?
    I think my measures are what matter. I've been in lockdown mode for almost six weeks now. I'd have done the very same in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The Germans processed a bunch of our tests, those numbers are the German results added.

Interesting because when Tony was asked about his numbers yesterday he said he included the german tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I'm not sure I want to be in either.

But I would have much more confidence in the Americans tackling this long term than Ireland... (And I hate saying that, as I am passionate about this country).

Trump has the courage to make difficult decisions, despite all the ridicule he gets... our leaders are like deer caught in the headlights.

I think we may need to be rescued by the EU or even the yanks in a few months... people don't realise just how poorly we have been managing things. Our hospitals are pulling off miracles right now. But in spite of our leaders, not because of them!

our leaders are like deer caught in the headlights.
    Yeah, the main target for Varadkar seems to be not upsetting anybody in a time where you need strong leadership.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Why didn't they add the 1000 or so positive tests as analysed by the Germans to the daily total ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fits wrote: »
    GP friend of mine has told me there appear to be more cases of young healthy people getting heart attacks and dying suddenly. Difficulty getting autopsies done. I’m not sure if these are included in official figures.
    But are there more? Or are people, including GP's more likely to focus on such things in the current crisis? Sudden adult death syndrome, or SADS is common enough already. It's why there's been the drive for defibrillator machines
    in public places and a recognition of the condition that kills a fair number of young healthy people every year. I lost a good friend to it twenty years ago, when it wasn't so well known among the public.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

Complete double speak. They didn't send consultants. They sent doctors during this short term interim? Clutching at straws.

Hardly clutching at straws. He's addressing the nonsense that was printed in the local paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

Am I missing something here.
    If we (or any country) test less, our statistics will look better as regards infection rate, but worse as regards case fatality rate.
    Therefore many comparisons are flawed due to either greater or lesser number of tests per million population.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I don’t understand the US at all. The people seem to be blind to the failures of their politicians. The bipartisan divide is so strong, that if their respective leader does anything, they praise it. Have they forgotten the “doctors want to keep you locked up,” or “I want full churches by Easter” comment, or touting a medical therapy with no formal clinical trials. I feel that if an Irish leader did all that, we would rip them apart. But they seem to lap it up in the US

Same here. Maybe to a lesser extent. Put up anything that faults the Irish governments response and you won't be long in finding people who can't accept any criticism. The only difference in Ireland is we have a wide range of parties so it's more evinely spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

fits wrote: »

Lies and scaremongering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement