Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

froog wrote: »
    So? Are we not free to criticise him?

Of course. Go nuts.
    Other poster was trying to say it was something else.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Discussion of what is allowed to be discussed in this thread stops now

If anyone wants clarification, read my 2 prior posts in this thread. If it's still not clear PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭circadian

doylefe wrote: »
    They are obsessed. It's like self flagellation for them.

For me it's just so boring, going on and on and on. And the worst thing is they'll be going on and on for another 4 years.

MAGA!

I bet you're not even remotely embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ohhhh the Right Wing Trumpettes are getting upset !
    Stop being so immature. Lots of people are fed up of all the Trump talk. If you don't understand that then you live in an alternate universe.
    It's highly insulting to label somebody a Trump supporter just because they are sick of Trump talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Sudan had a rise of 10 cases today bringing their total to 29
    Also Burundi saw its first death today from Covid19

What are the leaders of Sudan and Burundi saying. Is it as daft as trump. Even if its as daft as Mary Lou let us know. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

gozunda wrote: »
    Start another thread so. The title of the thread is self explanatory.

The number of people who are obsessed witj very single word Trump utters bergers belief tbh.

There is no other news this hour, so Trump gets discussed here every night at this time.

And every night somebody like you arrives in and tells everybody what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Unfortunately, your mother was tested at a time when we had a serious lack of reagent and testing ability. If she was tested more recently she more than likely would have got her test back in a similar time frame to your wife's niece. My dad was tested last week, he's a similar age to your mother, and he received his results back in less than a week. The testing situation has improved in the past week or so.

the point of my thread was that we are congratulating ourselves, or the spin machine is, and at the same time the UK got slated. They seem to be a lot better at testing than we are, going by you father and my mothers experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

https://twitter.com/JoeySalads/status/1249419813262209025

All these vids including from hospitals here starting to look insensitive at best

Orinigally it was quirky but now it's not so much

Yeah, they should be working flat out for 16 hours a day

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I was just thinking about Leo's "our darkest days are yet to come" comments. Looking at where we are now and where we have been for a few weeks now it's hard to see it getting worse. We seem to have plateaued. But why is he saying that.? Is there something in the modeling that points to this taking a turn for the worst or is he just being dramatic to keep people afraid.

• Advertisement

Nepal also saw an increase of cases with 2 more today bringing the total to 14.
    Thankfully no deaths and on a positive note they now have one recovered patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

It sounds like trump made a fool of himself yet again, he really has lost it this time

the point of my thread was that we are congratulating ourselves, or the spin machine is, and at the same time the UK got slated. They seem to be a lot better at testing than we are, going by you father and my mothers experience.

Yet they have less tests per capita and an outrageous number of deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I was just thinking about Leo's "our darkest days are yet to come" comments. Looking at where we are now and where we have been for a few weeks now it's hard to see it getting worse. We seem to have plateaued. But why is he saying that.? Is there something in the modeling that points to this taking a turn for the worst or is he just being dramatic to keep people afraid.

I think the level of the outbreak in nursing homes has them spooked, they can see once it gets in there's very little they can do to control it in that environment.

Its the latter I'd say. Keep people on point. We're not the most compliant bunch if we think we can pull a fast one. Models are pretty much useless as the info is limited.

threeball wrote: »
    What are the leaders of Sudan and Burundi saying. Is it as daft as trump. Even if its as daft as Mary Lou let us know. Cheers

The president of Sudan has since February 2020 been handed over to the ICC on charges of rape, pillage and directing a campaign of mass murder.

Sudan currently have no president.
    Is that more "daft" than Trump or Mary Lou?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

If the dark days don't come, he can claim it as validation of his policy. If they do come, then it was predicted anyway. Its a win, win. Keeping people afraid is important too since it elevates his status as leader and bolsters his chances of being Taoiseach again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I think the level of the outbreak in nursing homes has them spooked, they can see once it gets in there's very little they can do to control it in that environment.

I was speaking to a care home assistant at the start of the outbreak and they detailed the number of staff who were returning from post christmas holidays abroad- even in areas with known outbreaks . There seemed to be very little awareness of transmission risk. Also care home staff were told they didnt need to use PPE.

It was a disaster waiting to happen tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

fritzelly wrote: »
    Yeah, they should be working flat out for 16 hours a day

It would be wiser of healthcare workers who claim to be exhausted and stressed out not to be spending the goodwill from the public in that way.

There is too much of it and it is not appropriate anyway to either patients or their relations.

Its the latter I'd say. Keep people on point. We're not the most compliant bunch if we think we can pull a fast one. Models are pretty much useless as the info is limited.

That's my hunch too. It's a risky game tho. He's made two "the surge will come and our darkest days are ahead speeches". Thankfully they haven't come to pass. I'm just not sure people will listen to it further down the road if there is a second wave.

The president of Sudan has since February 2020 been handed over to the ICC on charges of rape, pillage and directing a campaign of mass murder.

Sudan currently have no president

He should have run a propaganda video at his press conferences. Its the new get out of jail card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The curve is well and truly flattened. Hopefully another 7-10 days of this and we can start to relax restrictions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry, I wrote that whilst watching Trump and trying to play Plants Vs Zombies so it looks like my multitasking skills aren't what they used to be. He got his results in less than a day, not a week. Got tested in the evening and results back the next morning.

The UK was in a similar position to us a few weeks back as well. A lot of countries were having issues getting reagents. Some might still be having issues getting it, I don't know. We managed to get enough reagent for 900,000 tests recently so hopefully the testing situation is sorted here and we can get a quick turnaround on tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Thankfully no deaths and on a positive note they now have one recovered patient.

Thats a random country to remark on? The majority of the worlds countries had new cases today, most had many more than 2

He should have run a propaganda video at his press conferences. Its the new get out of jail card.

Rape and a campaign of mass murder are not really topics you should joke about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He'll wipe the floor with Biden unfortunately.

It's almost like they want to lose. : /

euro1.gif

That's my hunch too. It's a risky game tho. He's made two "the surge will come and our darkest days are ahead speeches". Thankfully they haven't come to pass. I'm just not sure people will listen to it further down the road if there is a second wave.

I'd say hes safe enough now that we wont see a surge so people will be thankful rather than critical. Bit of a pat on the back for doing the right thing as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump ended talking about a friend who was in real estate from New York who didn't make it, seemed to show some emotion, for the first time ever.

Rape and a campaign of mass murder are not really topics you should joke about.

Its not a joke about him or his crimes but you knew that.

keynes wrote: »
    If the dark days don't come, he can claim it as validation of his policy. If they do come, then it was predicted anyway. Its a win, win. Keeping people afraid is important too since it elevates his status as leader and bolsters his chances of being Taoiseach again

Yeah it's kinda my thoughts. I've always said the reason we've been doing OK is our density. We could probably take a lighter approach then other countires in Europe. For example Sweden has taken and much lighter approach than the rest of Europe but their death rate so far is similar to Scotland who are part of the UK and have a much more stringent restrictions.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Thats a random country to remark on? The majority of the worlds countries had new cases today, most had many more than 2

There will be 2 million cases world wide by tomorrow evening.
    On the 2nd of April there were slightly above 1 million cases

• Advertisement

keynes wrote: »

This is just so stupid, I honestly cant believe it. Look at our neighbours, Scotland, Belgium, England, Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, every single one of our closest nations make up the hardest hit countries in the world. And people think government predictions were overly dramatic because they predicted same for us? The only reason we arent in the same situation as the rest of Europe right now is because of government and public efforts to stop that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The curve is well and truly flattened. Hopefully another 7-10 days of this and we can start to relax restrictions.

What happens then?

Most of the population have no immunity so any lifting of restrictions will be very minimal.

We will be back to square one if there is a total lifting of restrictions in the next couple of months.

There will be 2 million cases world wide by tomorrow evening.
    On the 2nd of April there were slightly above 1 million cases

We doing a relatively good job so. Only doubling every two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

What happens then?

Most of the population have no immunity so any lifting of restrictions will be very minimal.

We will be back to square one if there is a total lifting of restrictions in the next couple of months.

The alternative of locking down for any longer than May 5th is crazy.

Its not a joke about him or his crimes but you knew that.

He is awaiting a court date which will be heard by the International criminal court. I doubt he will have time for propaganda videos

This is just so stupid, I honestly cant believe it. Look at our neighbours, Scotland, Belgium, England, Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, every single one of our closest nations make up the hardest hit countries in the world. And people think government predictions were overly dramatic because they predicted same for us? The only reason we arent in the same situation as the rest of Europe right now is because of government and public efforts to stop that

Nah the only reason we're not in the same situation as those is we're not as urbanised as those countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

doylefe wrote: »
    They are obsessed. It's like self flagellation for them.

For me it's just so boring, going on and on and on. And the worst thing is they'll be going on and on for another 4 years.

MAGA!

ZyjQKu5.jpg

Nah the only reason we're not in the same situation as those is we're not as urbanised as those countries.

Nah, look at Scotland and Sweden, certainly not particularly intensely urban countries still experiencing huge numbers of deaths. Cork, Dublin and Limerick are densely populated cities, Dublin is the 26th most densely populated city in the EU
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Union_cities_proper_by_population_density

The only reason we are not in the same position as europe, is government intervention, we have no special national immunity to this virus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭MOR316

Depends...

Will be awhile yet before Cafes, Restaurants, Bars, Shopping Centres etc open up. Reckon it'll be "work from home if you can" for a lot of us for a while yet too.

If they are adamant about the LC and 1st year students going to College in September then they're gonna have to work something out.

People can post or say whatever they want about following the rules and "in this for this for as long as it takes" and their intentions are good and it's coming from a good place...But, don't underestimate your human nature. If the current restrictions carry on into June, the vast majority of the population will start to get rattled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭maebee

Three of our household do the 2km round walk every day, in the country, hardly meet a soul. We're like donkeys crossing the road to avoid other people. Almost every other person walking does the same.The cyclists and joggers are in a different league to the walkers. I hate the feckin cyclists. You can't avoid them. Walkers move. Cyclists just cycle on and breathe whatever they have onto you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Relax and enjoy it :) Don't get the angst about relaxing at home!

Being realistic. There is no easy out here.

I think the end game will be cocooning vulnerable people in an ironclad manner and opening up the restrictions very gradually for everyone else.

Will mean hundreds of thousands of people still under restrictions for the next 18 months until a vaccine is available.

So there will be 2 million cases tomorrow, just 10 days after reaching 1 million, which took the world 3 months to get to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

We doing a relatively good job so. Only doubling every two weeks.

You have some belief in our testing and results? The HSE themselves have announced it is a shambles.

Simon Harris...playing a blinder.

Nah, look at Scotland and Sweden, certainly not particularly intensely urban countries still experiencing huge numbers of deaths. Cork, Dublin and Limerick are densely populated cities, Dublin is the 26th most densely populated city in the EU
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Union_cities_proper_by_population_density

The only reason we are not in the same position as europe, is government intervention, we have no special national immunity to this virus

So now you have proven you don't have a clue what your talking about, Sweden is one of the most urbanised countires in Europe 87.5% of the population live in urban areas. Scotland is also very urbanised greater than 80%. Ireland is not very urbanised around 60%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

You're being childish.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Your being childish.

Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Not that surprising. Monaco is home to super wealthy who don't have to mix with too many others in a workplace, don't go on public transport, no underground, etc. Also far from epicentres like Paris. Weather might be a factor too. Also good medical care.

I did consider much of that but they also have bars, restaurants, a lot of tourists and are pretty close to the North Italian border too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭kyote00

Who ever it is - they will take over a severely broken domestic economy, ongoing virus outbreaks over the next 12-18 months, oil price at rock bottom such that US oil makers can't compete, airline bankruptcies, hotel group bankruptcies
    Tony EH wrote: »
    It's almost like they want to lose. : /

euro1.gif

So now you have proven you don't have a clue what your talking about, Sweden is one of the most urbanised countires in Europe 87.5% of the population live in urban areas. Scotland is also very urbanised greater than 80%. Ireland is not very urbanised around 60%.

No you dont have a clue, you havnt looked beyond the vague classification of 'urban ' vs' rural' when it differs drastically by country.
    In ireland any town or village with a population below 1500 is listed as rural
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-urli/urbanandrurallifeinireland2019/introduction/

In sweden anywhere with a population above 200 is considered urban
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_areas_in_Sweden

Anyway, you need only go and actually see the countries of sweden and scotland yourself to know well they are no more urbanised than Ireland is, I assume youve never visited then. And yet, they are experiencing huge numbers more deaths than us.
    As I have said before, the only reason we are not experiencing the same fallout from this virus as the rest of europe is government intervention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

What happens then?

I'm guessing that it will cycle. So restrictions will lift to ease pressure on the economy and then when cases increase, restrictions are applied again.

It'll end up similar to a sine wave, balanced by restrictions and what the health system can manage.

Probably go on like this for a while.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement