Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hurrache wrote: »
    On what basis?

On the basis that the Economy is suffering. On the basis that the data we have shows this terrible disease has little effect on healthy people in a certain age range.

We could have started to ease restrictions while isolating the vulnerable. That is an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are being more inhumane and certainly not compassionate.

This lockdown will lead to more death outside covid-19 the longer it goes on.

On May 5 there will be a relaxation of restrictions unless we see a dramatic and unexpected rise in negative stats.

No vaccine
    No treatment
    No money, (at least not enough to wait for vaccine )
    And hoping that you or large sections of population have had it already is wishful thinking, it's not the case, very few people have or had covid19.

So the french government seem to be facing reality as they're fixing to let young children mix after may 11th.

It has to run through,
    and starting with young children and their young parents is probably the best way.

You'll be slaughtered for that.

Although i agree to an extent. If you fit and healthy are you better of getting Covid?

We could have started to ease restrictions while isolating the vulnerable. That is an option.

Cocooning will need to continue for a while yet.

The rest of us need to get back to work to provide for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I said on the previous thread that I didn't see restrictions being lifted anytime soon until there's a vaccine, simply because the cases aren't low enough and when you significantly lift restrictions, new cases will jump because of the higher R0. I was roundly criticised for it.

I look forward to the apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Such f**king BS. We are more likely to die travelling to work than catching this thing and if caught have a 98% chance of recovery.

Putting economies into freefall for a tiny minority of people that are likely to die during the course of a year anyway given age and underlying health conditions. See below age range of italian deaths.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105061/coronavirus-deaths-by-region-in-italy/

And no I am not trying to be inhumane, compassionate etc. I am just trying to be bloody realistic. Because our govt never bothered to sort out the mess of a healthcare system before all this we, the taxpayer, will pay dearly for this enforced lockdown for a long long time.

Get real

It has now been disclosed that death total up to April 3rd in the UK was 15% higher than previously reported. I'm of the opinion that the exclusion of nursing home & "community" mortality is a deliberate attempt to keep the daily tallies below 1,000. A psychological barrier the powers that be are not prepared to hurdle over. Perhaps I'm a little too cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

easypazz wrote: »
    Cocooning will need to continue for a while yet.

The rest of us need to get back to work to provide for them.

No business doing that until the numbers go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

You'll be slaughtered for that.

Although i agree to an extent. If you fit and healthy are you better of getting Covid?

Irelands actions have been more or less following further along European countries all the way.

because they've no other choice the government will mix young children through creches etc. They'll keep the elderly isolated and deal with the those mostly young parents.
    It'll be hard to accept but there isn't another way.

Id be inclined to no get covid as long as possible you never know what might happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There comes a time when the Economy needs to be put first.

No lives always come first unless you are a psycho/sociopath.
    As I've said many times, two things stand in the way of us beating this thing and they are greed and stupidity.
    Guess what traits you are showing here.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    No lives always come first unless you are a psycho/sociopath.
    As I've said many times, two things stand in the way of us beating this thing and they are greed and stupidity.
    You are shoe my both of those traits here.

Haha.

So are the govt. and a hell of a lot of others.

The economy can be reopend whilst taking care of the most at risk.

Id suggest that anyone advocating an indefinite lockdown is the psycho / sociopath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Such f**king BS. We are more likely to die travelling to work than catching this thing and if caught have a 98% chance of recovery.

Putting economies into freefall for a tiny minority of people that are likely to die during the course of a year anyway given age and underlying health conditions. See below age range of italian deaths.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105061/coronavirus-deaths-by-region-in-italy/

And no I am not trying to be inhumane, compassionate etc. I am just trying to be bloody realistic. Because our govt never bothered to sort out the mess of a healthcare system before all this we, the taxpayer, will pay dearly for this enforced lockdown for a long long time.

Putting economies into freefall for a tiny minority of people that are likely to die during the course of a year anyway given age and underlying health conditions

This is the coldest thing I have ever read. I know a few people with some underlying conditions and it's likely the virus would be dangerous to them and their conditions.
    They are leading happy and fulfilling lives have many years ahead of them yet.

Relax about the indo piece. It's a pack of sh1tstirring muck. The new said yesterday social distancing is here to remain until a vaccine is formed. The indo turned it their way and said - the lockdown is here. That's not true.

The government will probably ease up on restrictions to pre march the 27th times or something like that. They will let people back to work but with restrictions.

Large group and gatherings will continue to be disencouraged. The old will be asked to stay in and cocoon. The schools will probably not go back til later in the year due to children being silent carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Haha.

Id suggest that anyone advocating an indefinite lockdown is the psycho / sociopath.

Anyone suggesting that advocating for an indefinite lockdown makes you a psycho is most likely a complete and total gowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No, they care about lives which you clearly think is secondary to money. You are the person with no morals.
    After the discovery in South Korea we are not far away from having my a treatment for the symptoms of covid-19 and we should stay locked down until those medicines become available.
    I'm talking about medicines to treat conditions here not a vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Does anyone know how it was proven that children were silent carriers? I see it written all the time but did some country test asymptomatic children and come to that conclusion ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

It has now been disclosed that death total up to April 3rd in the UK was 15% higher than previously reported. I'm of the opinion that the exclusion of nursing home & "community" mortality is a deliberate attempt to keep the daily tallies below 1,000. A psychological barrier the powers that be are not prepared to hurdle over. Perhaps I'm a little too cynical.

Where did you get the 15%?
    The daily DHSC statistics for April 3rd showed a total of 4,093 deaths from Covid-19. The ONS figures, which include care homes and residential settings, now says that there were 6,235 deaths from Covid-19 up to that same date. I make that 52% higher.

Applying that to yesterday's 11,329 from the DHSC would suggest that a figure of 17,220 would be more accurate for the UK.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Putting economies into freefall for a tiny minority of people that are likely to die during the course of a year anyway given age and underlying health conditions

This is the coldest thing I have ever read. I know a few people with some underlying conditions and it's likely the virus would be dangerous to them and their conditions.

Relax about the indo piece. It's a pack of sh1tstirring muck. The new said yesterday social distancing is here to remain until a vaccine is formed. The indo turned it their way and said - the lockdown is here. That's not true.

The government will probably ease up on restrictions to pre march the 27th times or something like that. They will let people back to work but with restrictions.

Large group and gatherings will continue to be disencouraged. The old will be asked to stay in and cocoon. The schools will probably not go back til later in the year due to children being silent carriers.

Its hard to see what restrictions can be lifted to be honest. I'd love to see restaurants and hotels re-open for the summer for example, but you'd have to weigh up the risks.

Our hospitals are coping well at the moment. But don't forget the median age of hospitalisation is something like 62 - hardly old. And that's with an R0 of about 1.

There's a lot of younger people in this country with underlying conditions they don't know about such as being pre diabetic, heart conditions or simply bordering on the obese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Haha.

Ah go away and get a grip. Who is most at risk??? David Krabbe from Cork 45 years of age NO underlying condition, fit and strong, see his interview on RTE.
    Awork colleague of mine 51, fit as a fiddle NO underlying condition and he is battling for his life on a ventilator in UCH. If economy is reopened tomorrow who do suggest goes out and about and who stays at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

‘Nothing would have prevented’ virus spread, says Andrea Ammon, director of European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control

Interview: https://www.politico.eu/article/ecdc-chief-nothing-would-have-prevented-coronavirus-spread/

No business doing that until the numbers go down.

Rubbish.

We can't sustain this forever.

Spain are going back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I would imagine lockdown will be eased considerably early may
    Shops and restaurants will start to open but all with social distancing measures in place as for pubs they could be the last to open as its near impossible to adhere to social distancing there

boetstark wrote: »
    Ah go away and get a grip. Who is most at risk??? David Krabbe from Cork 45 years of age NO underlying condition, fit and strong, see his interview on RTE.
    Awork colleague of mine 51, fit as a fiddle NO underlying condition and he is battling for his life on a ventilator in UCH. If economy is reopened tomorrow who do suggest goes out and about and who stays at home.

Ah stop. FFS. It's a horrible virus. I get that and wouldn't wish it on anyone but anyone who thinks a shutdown in the economy won't have as devastating an impact that Covid is living in cloud cuckoo land.

If you can work from home do so. If you need to go to a building site or woodies / power city etc to work than you should be able.

If Tesco can practice social distancing I'm sure others can manage it.

No need for the drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Ah stop. FFS. It's a horrible virus. I get that and wouldn't wish it on anyone but anyone who thinks a shutdown in the economy won't have as devastating an impact that Covid is living in cloud cuckoo land.

If you can work from home do so. If you need to go to a building site or woodies / power city etc to work than you should be able.

If Tesco can practice social distancing I'm sure others can manage it.

No need for the drama.

Drama? Your the one who spouted one liners saying we are all fcuked either prefaced or followed by ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

There's a lot of younger people in this country with underlying conditions they don't know about such as being pre diabetic, heart conditions or simply bordering on the obese.

If anybody has any inclination they have any such underlying conditions nows the time to get it checked out. If you have such a condition you'll join those who are to stay in isolation until vaccine or treatment.
    Because in about six weeks the government will be mixing young children and it gonna run through mainly the younger half of the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What's the increase in Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Its hard to see what restrictions can be lifted to be honest. I'd love to see restaurants and hotels re-open for the summer for example, but you'd have to weigh up the risks.

Our hospitals are coping well at the moment. But don't forget the median age of hospitalisation is something like 62 - hardly old. And that's with an R0 of about 1.

How can people run businesses run employees are out sick? I think that's something Simon Harris said yesterday and he's right about that. How can the economy be kicked into action when theres a virus threatening us. I think you are right too. There will be many young adults with no known illness or condition that could succumb to the illness. Workforces will not only have to deal with a large amount of people out sick, there will be deaths to deal with too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Didnt take a look at this thread in about a week and the same doom merchants are posting on here day in day out, jaysus imagine having to live in the same gaff as someone like this, a right ray of sunshine constantly talking about coronavirus , depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

owlbethere wrote: »

nobody is saying to let them die, just keep the minority in isolation till a vaccine is found rather than keeping everyone in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

So you're ok with sacrificing your elderly friends and relatives for the economy? I take from your post that you most likely don't know too many in the 'at risk' demographic.

As someone older than many on here, I have dozens of relatives and quite a few friends who would most likely be in a very bad way if they caught this virus. I'd like to keep them around for another decade or so of good times and company, wisdom and advice.

• Advertisement

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Didnt take a look at this thread in about a week and the same doom merchants are posting on here day in day out, jaysus imagine having to live in the same gaff as someone like this, a right ray of sunshine constantly talking about coronavirus , depressing.

The thread is about Covid-19 as it happens, hint there in the title. If you're not fond of inconvenient truths then this might not be the place for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Thankfully, as always, at some point soon the EU will tell us what action to take and we will move out of restrictions. Otherwise, under our own authorities, we would become the only stone age society in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0414/1130294-covid-19-scam/

Looks like even the super efficient germans can get caught out. Imagine the outrage if the HSE were caught out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

The thread is about Covid-19 as it happens, hint there in the title. If you're not fond of inconvenient truths then this might not be the place for you.

there you are bertie a ray of sunshine, imagine having to put up the likes of you all the time , i bet your one of these who cant wait for the daily figures of new cases, seriously depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I would imagine lockdown will be eased considerably early may
    Shops and restaurants will start to open but all with social distancing measures in place as for pubs they could be the last to open as its near impossible to adhere to social distancing there

I don't think restaurants or pubs etc will be open till July at the earliest.

So you're ok with sacrificing your elderly friends and relatives for the economy? I take from your post that you most likely don't know too many in the 'at risk' demographic.

As someone older than many on here, I have dozens of relatives and quite a few friends who would most likely be in a very bad way if they caught this virus. I'd like to keep them around for another decade or so of good times and company, wisdom and advice.

WTF? Elderly friends and relatives should be isolating. They are in one of the most at risk groups.

Why would they do anything different?

I suppose, anytime I look out the window they seem be the ones breaking the rules.

• Advertisement

there you are bertie a ray of sunshine, imagine having to out up the likes of you all the time , seriously depressing.

On your bike son, lovely day out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

boetstark wrote: »
    Awork colleague of mine 51, fit as a fiddle NO underlying condition and he is battling for his life on a ventilator in UCH. If economy is reopened tomorrow who do suggest goes out .....

Why, the working class, of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

My limited experience of the Scandinavian countries is that they almost hibernate socially for November - March but by April everyone is out and it's full on socialising, peaking at mid summer.
    Their winter habits will have stood them in good stead until now with Covid 19.
    But I think that their normal long days behaviour will lead to either further restrictions or cases.

poppers wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0414/1130294-covid-19-scam/

Looks like even the super efficient germans can get caught out. Imagine the outrage if the HSE were caught out here.

Is this the HSE who gave a pile of people incorrect results recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Just heard from a friend got tested on Saturday and got result back just now Negative Thank God
    That was some response from the testing lab

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

there you are bertie a ray of sunshine, imagine having to put up the likes of you all the time , i bet your one of these who cant wait for the daily figures of new cases, seriously depressing.

People are talking about the realities of the situation.

You are moaning about that and that is seriously depressing.

otnomart wrote: »
    ‘Nothing would have prevented’ virus spread, says Andrea Ammon, director of European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control

Interview: https://www.politico.eu/article/ecdc-chief-nothing-would-have-prevented-coronavirus-spread/

Its been widely accepted that nothing could prevent the disease spread. The question has always been how slow or how fast do you want it to spread. You can slow it down hugely by closing down most things for a period of time including civilian traffic in and out of the country. Doing this would mean you could lift restrictions every so often until the numbers get high again. Or you could go to the other extreme and just let it run its course and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Some posters are off their rocker if they think we are going back to any kind of normality in a few weeks time. It's an insult to the tremendous work our front line health staff are doing to suggest we will be sending them thousands of more cases because some idiot wants to have a pint or eat in a restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Just heard from a friend got tested on Saturday and got result back just now Negative Thank God

Why is that good?

If he has mild symptoms and no underlying conditions far better to have it. (As long as he hasn't spread it also.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes, it's the HSE who received the incorrect results from a lab in Germany.

Yes, it's the HSE who received the incorrect results from a lab in Germany.

The buck stops with the HSE like the Cervical check testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

easypazz wrote: »
    This lockdown will lead to more death outside covid-19 the longer it goes on.

On May 5 there will be a relaxation of restrictions unless we see a dramatic and unexpected rise in negative stats.

They probably ease some restrictions maybe allow hardware, clothes, shoes or electrical shops to open.

Anything recreational or social like Cinemas, pubs, clubs or anything that people have close interaction that is not essential is still going be off the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

On past performance i'd continue to self isolate for a week even if i got a negative result. You never know when you'll get a second phone call saying they got it wrong.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    They probably ease some restrictions maybe allow hardware, clothes, shoes or electrical shops to open.

Anything recreational or social like Cinemas, pubs, clubs or anything that people have close interaction that is not essential is still going be off the table.

That's all people are asking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Prob a lab who informed them of the result then ftold them they made a mistake and tbe hse then issuwd correct resukt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement