Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Didnt take a look at this thread in about a week and the same doom merchants are posting on here day in day out, jaysus imagine having to live in the same gaff as someone like this, a right ray of sunshine constantly talking about coronavirus , depressing.

See you again next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

People are talking about the realities of the situation.

You are moaning about that and that is seriously depressing.

yes doom merchants i think you are called who revel in this type of thing, everyone is in the same situation here yeah so instead of constantly talking about doom and gloom of this poxy virus, how about at least to suggest and help others who are finding this much harder than others, but ill leave it here as i can see this thread is populated by people who revel in doom and glom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

What's the increase in Spain?

2442 new cases.
    300 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Belgium has been consistently posting big death numbers in the last 4-5 days, they are peaking now.

See you again next week.

you can fcuking keep it, ill leave you depressing cnunts to it to revel in the misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It has now been disclosed that death total up to April 3rd in the UK was 15% higher than previously reported. I'm of the opinion that the exclusion of nursing home & "community" mortality is a deliberate attempt to keep the daily tallies below 1,000. A psychological barrier the powers that be are not prepared to hurdle over. Perhaps I'm a little too cynical.

The number of nurshing home and community deaths are supposed to be released today for the UK

On your bike son, lovely day out there.

son im probably old enough to be your father...son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

yes doom merchants i think you are called who revel in this type of thing, everyone is in the same situation here yeah so instead of constantly talking about doom and gloom of this poxy virus, how about at least to suggest and help others who are finding this much harder than others, but ill leave it here as i can see this thread is populated by people who revel in doom and glom.

Holy fk :) . Time to find somewhere for you to stick your head in the sand if you cannot handle the reality of the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Belgium has been consistently posting big death numbers in the last 4-5 days, they are peaking now.
    You know there's no cap on how many "can" die per day at this point? The limit is the remaining population.

I think a lot of people are in for a shock, considering the spread of infection is much greater than the scope of the testing is revealing. I was surprised to wake this morning to find countries talking about lifting restrictions and before they even see any improvement with their numbers in a lot of cases.

I would not like to be part of that insane capitalist experiment. But hey, at least people will be able to... paint their houses?

• Advertisement

Holy fk :) . Time to find somewhere for you to stick your head in the sand if you cannot handle the reality of the situation.

yeah ill leave you manic depressives to constantly talk about doom and gloom, bye,:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

kenmc wrote: »
    The independent was barely worth the price they charged pre paywall. It's definitely not worth the price now.
    Sole exception being the physical product in the event of further runs of bogroll

I bought the financial times yesterday for a change

That's all people are asking for.

No it's not, if they do open those businesses you will have plenty of people complaining that they can't go to the pub or for a meal.

Also as there is a global depression on the cards, who is going to be spending money in these shops unless it's an essential item that they cannot live without, and by that I mean a new fridge and not an extra pair of shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

WTF? Elderly friends and relatives should be isolating. They are in one of the most at risk groups.

Why would they do anything different?

I suppose, anytime I look out the window they seem be the ones breaking the rules.

Exactly right. Regardless of official government policy the very old and vulnerable people in society are going to have to be extra cautious for the foreseeable future. My own father is going through cancer treatment at the moment and he is of the opinion that he'll be isolating for a long time to come and seriously limiting his interactions with others. He doesn't need Leo or Simon to tell him that.

I think some easing of restrictions will happen. People can talk about putting money before people but it's not that simple. Lots of people are now really struggling to make ends meat because the government closed their place of work. The stress of having unpaid bills on families is no trivial matter and at some stage this government are going to have to make some tough decisions.

It also needs to be factored in that maybe, just maybe a lot of older people in their 70s and 80's would rather take their chances and live their lives how they want with whatever time they have left. Seeing the children, grandchildren, and friends may be more important to them than hiding away in fear.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Absolute horse manure.

What do you want us to do, celebrate covid 19?

Clearly this is not the thread for you, so maybe find something more light hearted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. How far apart are people supposed to be at work? Also 2 meters? I ask as some canteens are tiny and there's no way that people can be 2 meters apart.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Some posters are off their rocker if they think we are going back to any kind of normality in a few weeks time. It's an insult to the tremendous work our front line health staff are doing to suggest we will be sending them thousands of more cases because some idiot wants to have a pint or eat in a restaurant.

No one with foresight is suggesting everything goes back to normal in three weeks but things have got to start going back to normal. Things will have to open up. You will have social unrest as well as economic devastation if it goes six, eight twelve weeks more as it is now. No way will it fly. The elderly, or at risk will be the most protected for a long time to come, and their isolation may have to continue for some time, but the rest of us, need to go back to work, practice all we've learnt over the past few weeks, be vigilant etc, and get this country going again. I'm sure there will continue to be cases, but that is what we have to expect. We have to live alongside this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

wakka12 wrote: »
    The number of nurshing home and community deaths are supposed to be released today for the UK

They have been released - up until April 3rd.

1641 wrote: »
    Where did you get the 15%?
    The daily DHSC statistics for April 3rd showed a total of 4,093 deaths from Covid-19. The ONS figures, which include care homes and residential settings, now says that there were 6,235 deaths from Covid-19 up to that same date. I make that 52% higher.

Applying that to yesterday's 11,329 from the DHSC would suggest that a figure of 17,220 would be more accurate for the UK.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/moscow-warns-it-faces-coronavirus-hospital-bed-shortage-within-weeks

Hospital beds for coronavirus patients in Moscow to run out within weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi. How far apart are people supposed to be at work? Also 2 meters? I ask as some canteens are tiny and there's no way that people can be 2 meters apart.

Eat in your car.

Not just canteens, some offices the way their desks are sized and designed and that includes some large multinationals.

• Advertisement

Eat in your car.

I don't have a car.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Are you even a real Professor?

I feel the economic impact of this like everyone else so I'm well entitled to my opinion.

Tell me this, what's the basis for a continuing lockdown and extending it beyond May?
    Not to overwhelm hospitals, this is the reason we are doing it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Eat in your car.

Or in the park etc.

Things aren't going to be back to they way they were for months yet. We all know that. But we need to start planning for an end to this lockdown.

Easing restrictions is the best way to do it. That's all people want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ZX7R wrote: »
    2442 new cases.
    300 deaths.

3,045 new cases
    567 new deaths

We will have done that long before the 5th of May. I'm arguing that Varadkar should have extended the lockdown by 7 days and no more.

My feeling is he is playing political football with it now. If he lifts the restrictions before the 5th of May he will look great.

I don't have a car.

Where are you working from at them moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

We will have done that long before the 5th of May. I'm arguing that Varadkar should have extended the lockdown by 7 days and no more.

My feeling is he is playing political football with it now. If he lifts the restrictions before the 5th of May he will look great.

You're still persisting with ignorance and nonsense.

Where are you working from at them moment?

Hi ss. I'm currently on unpaid leave. I'd rather not say. They're a warehouse crowd with a few locations in Cork.

Or in the park etc.

Things aren't going to be back to they way they were for months yet. We all know that. But we need to start planning for an end to this lockdown.

Easing restrictions is the best way to do it. That's all people want.

Who with a global recession on the cards is going to be spending money on anything but an essential item that they cannot live without even if restrictions are lifted?

s1ippy wrote: »
    You know there's no cap on how many "can" die per day at this point? The limit is the remaining population.

I think a lot of people are in for a shock, considering the spread of infection is much greater than the scope of the testing is revealing. I was surprised to wake this morning to find countries talking about lifting restrictions and before they even see any improvement with their numbers in a lot of cases.

I would not like to be part of that insane capitalist experiment. But hey, at least people will be able to... paint their houses?

I think Spain, Italy, France, Austria, etc will be able to lift restrictions for a couple of weeks or a month at most, and then they will have to impose them again. This will be the new normal going forward.

Unfortunately these countries are strongly dependent on tourism and tourism is also the main way cv19 is spread internationally.

Masks, gloves, cashless society, 2 metre separation, those are here to stay until a vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Seen a Guinness van out on my walk in wicklow, are they putting plans in place..

Hi ss. I'm currently on unpaid leave. I'd rather not say. They're a warehouse crowd with a few locations in Cork.

That's tough going. Sorry to hear that. Well if you're in a position where you cant go to work you and others like you should be facilitated for as long as possible with unpaid leave.

People who can work from home should be allowed to do so. People who need to go to work to earn should be given the option to do so very soon.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Who with a global recession on the cards is going to be spending money on anything but an essential item that they cannot live without even if restrictions are lifted?

So shut everything down and be done with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

That is the reason they gave at the start, but it clearly isn't the real reason as our hospitals are far from stretched. We are continuing on lockdown because the government does not want to differentiate between social groups. Look at voting patterns in this country, the people who should be cocooning are the people who vote. They will not tolerate being locked down while everyone else can get on with things. You can spot them on this thread and you can be sure that they are making it known to the government. The scientists would lock down until the virus is gone or until there is a vaccine, that's simply the way they are programmed. The government, however, will always have one eye on the voter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Seen a Guinness van out on my walk in wicklow, are they putting plans in place..

Probably the worker going to the shop. No plan in place as of yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

probably retrieving stock from pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Either cleaning taps or arranging keg collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Didnt take a look at this thread in about a week and the same doom merchants are posting on here day in day out, jaysus imagine having to live in the same gaff as someone like this, a right ray of sunshine constantly talking about coronavirus , depressing.

My mother is a typical doom merchant and from experience the characteristics of doom merchants are definately in this thread. Sometimes i feel sorry for my father because they tend to always try to cause an argument over nothing just to make other people feel miserable.

Best advice is to unfollow this thread and let them at it. You’ll end up getting frustrated and banned.

Back on topic.

So shut everything down and be done with it?

Who is going to be spending when a global recession is on the cards?

The stores you mentioned can be open online and items delivered. No broadband for some, my dad and sister are two of those some, but I can order anything that they need for them online and the items can be delivered. No need to have people go into the store, same as my local hardware and a few other stores selling essentials at the moment.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    My mother is a typical doom merchant and from experience the characteristics of doom merchants are definately in this thread. Sometimes i feel sorry for my father because they tend to always try to cause an argument over nothing just to make other people feel miserable.

Best advice is to unfollow this thread and let them at it. You’ll end up getting frustrated and banned.

Back on topic.

Can you point out specific examples of doom mongering here?

Or is it just people having a conversation about realistic outcomes?

If you want us to say the economy should be opened up, fine we can do that. If you think there will be no negative consequences to that, then its head in the sand stuff I'm afraid.

Cases in Belgium dropping but deaths remain consistently extremely high, another 240 deaths today..if it was the size of Italy it would be same as it reporting another 1500 or so deaths today..the highest number of deaths any country in Europe has ever reported per capita in a day

The same people on here arguing for a complete lockdown for the foreseeable future are the ones who will be disappointed when we have a vaccine.

They will probably tell people not to vaccine against Covid as it causes side effects.

I hope we can continue to be successful against Covid but we need to plan on living with it for possibly years to come.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Cases in Belgium dropping but deaths remain consistently extremely high, another 240 deaths today..if it was the size of Italy it would be same as it reporting another 1400 or so deaths today..the highest number of deaths any country in Europe has ever reported per capita

Per capita doesn't tell the full story though. We really need to know the Median age and underlying medical conditions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I had a very brief meeting in the bank this morning. While there I observed a local publican enter the premises and deposit a bunch of cash. He doesn't own and isn't involved in any other businesses.

Per capita doesn't tell the full story though. We really need to know the Median age and underlying medical conditions etc.

Why? That number of deaths is absolutely astounding even if every single person who died was a 99 year old with 10 comorbidities

Belgium experiences about 195 deaths on a typical day. Even if 3/4 of the 240 deaths today were very frail old people who would have died soon anyway , even just the 1/4 alone is an enormous excess mortality rate increase on the average daily death rate in Belgium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1250003948125204481?s=19

A very good thread here and with the WHO to announce guidelines today for the lifting of restrictions this gives you a good idea as to their thinking.

He also said in terms of social living that we can return to this pre vaccination so long as people take responsibility if they feel unwell. For example if you even have a common cold symptom going forward you simply dont go out and work from home if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Another piece of music to entertain the homeward bound. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

The same people on here arguing for a complete lockdown for the foreseeable future are the ones who will be disappointed when we have a vaccine.

They will probably tell people not to vaccine against Covid as it causes side effects.

I hope we can continue to be successful against Covid but we need to plan on living with it for possibly years to come.

A vaccine for covid might not prevent people from catching it twice, is that’s the case we may be goosed

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

A very good thread here and with the WHO to announce guidelines today for the lifting of restrictions this gives you a good idea as to their thinking.

He also said in terms of social living that we can return to this pre vaccination so long as people take responsibility if they feel unwell. For example if you even have a common cold symptom going forward you simply dont go out and work from home if possible.

very good thread,
    and makes the most sense.

it isn't feasible or possible to have lock down for the next 12-18 months.
    Social distancing is also not a realistic goal

people need to take responsibility, if you as much as sneeze, stay at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Finally, some sense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement