Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

And that this point, you lose all credibility - you're divorced from reality if you think hospitals aren't already stretched. Can certainly tell you don't work in one.

My wife is an ICU nurse. It's you that has no credibility.

fin12 wrote: »
    Father pleading on 96fm now for Simon Harris to reply to his emails regarding how his disabled son will be treated if he was to contract the virus.

Simon Harris pure disgrace, answers twitter emails about a f*cking Easter bunny but can’t get in contact with this man.

Simon Harris is not a medical professional, and should not comment in any way on hypothetical treatment plans for a specific case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Which one will give him the better PR

Harris is a "delegator" in the worst sense of the word. He is completely incapable of making any kind of decision be it big or small.

He will always make mention of referring to the experts, which some people may see as laudable (they are more qualified etc..), but there is a time when one wonders about whether a trained monkey can do this.

He has no qualifications whatsoever, no life experience in real life work prior to political life and only in Ireland could he ascend to a ministerial position with that background.

He is the worst kind of coached politician, PR'd to within an inch of his existence in order to sound interested, empathetic and competent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Don't mind that, smelly socks says it will be fine to send everyone back to work. Let's open the floodgates tomorrow.

Jesus this forum would make you lose faith in humanity at times.

Where did I say that?

Are you advocating we destroy sectors vital to the economy with an indefinite shut down?

Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    What's the relevance of this?

In roughly 6 weeks the government will be taking measures to let it run through. Possibly starting with creche going children and their mainly younger parents.
    Its a somewhat controlled action aim at the lesser vulnerable section.
    How well a country has done up to that point won't be all that relevant in the face of the drastic action they're gonna be taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Don't mind that, smelly socks says it will be fine to send everyone back to work. Let's open the floodgates tomorrow.

The one good thing about this virus is that it's exposing how mental the economy cultists are. There's a virus with no treatment killing thousands of people daily? Better focus on hypothetical deaths that could happen because of economic problems instead. It's bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1250003948125204481?s=19

A very good thread here and with the WHO to announce guidelines today for the lifting of restrictions this gives you a good idea as to their thinking.

He also said in terms of social living that we can return to this pre vaccination so long as people take responsibility if they feel unwell. For example if you even have a common cold symptom going forward you simply dont go out and work from home if possible.
    I wonder how that going to work for people with allergys especially in countrys with high levels odf the aformentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

easypazz wrote: »
    Can the man not follow procedures to ensure the child does not get infected?

Go and listen to the interview , it’s about how people with disabilities will be discriminated against if a health care worker has to make a decision who gets the ventilator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Nobody expects back to normal on May 5.

It will be a phased reopening.
    I think there are plenty who do think this. In particular, there are lots of people who think that if we all stay indoors for a few weeks, no exercise, no shopping etc. this will all go away faster. They're curtain-twitching like mad everytime their neighbours so much as appear at the door.

Obviously it won't simply go away - we will be living with it for a long time.

The only question now is how do we best ensure it doesn't overwhelm us, while getting on with our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

"Grow up"

When people start coming out with childish retorts you know they are beaten.

Destroying the economy will destroy a lot of lives.

Balance is needed, that is all people are saying.

We have to learn to live with this.

Grow up isn't a childish retort. It's a plea. I would make the same plea to you.

Lets see how your older or high-risk relatives and friends "just live with it" then. Best of luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"Hello Mary Lou"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Longing wrote: »
    Maybe we could have let's say HSE police in every town or supermarket. Just idea. Sick people will leave their homes no question about it.

HSE Police, theres a very scary thought.

Let's just hope the HSE can manage their basic functions this time and manage to get 24 hour test and results. That would be something that would help us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

He is the Minister for Health and he could at least acknowledge this mans emails.
    I notice you have nothing good to say about anything in this thread, interesting.

I don't think it's the job of the Minister for Health to reply to individual emails about specific cases. He's a Minister and needs to be working on strategy, he's not the Ombudsman.

The one good thing about this virus is that it's exposing how mental the economy cultists are. There's a virus with no treatment killing thousands of people daily? Better focus on hypothetical deaths that could happen because of economic problems instead. It's bizarre stuff.

Just absolute insanity.

These people have horses in this race and it's very clear by the uninformed vitriol being spewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you expect him to get in touch with every tweet, email and correspondance he recieved?

There are other people that man on the radio can speak to rather than the minister who wouldn't have the answer anyway.
    Oh f*ck off,
    I forgot answering queries about an Easter bunny is much more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Nobody expects back to normal on May 5.

It will be a phased reopening.

Yeah, that will take about two years or so

You can tell that restrictions will soon be eased and some sort of normality will return soon by the fact that threads are becoming obviously political again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I think it's fair to say that most countries in Europe have been hit by this to a similar degree. How they reacted and how much warning they got differs for sure.

Anyway their any point in a travel ban once restrictions are eased?

I mean if we are running trains and buses here why not planes between countries?

Just absolute insanity.

These people have horses in this race and it's very clear by the uninformed vitriol being spewed.

And you don't?

• Advertisement

Grow up isn't a childish retort. It's a plea. I would make the same plea to you.

Lets see how your older or high-risk relatives and friends "just live with it" then. Best of luck with that.

They should continue to cocoon and isolate.

I'd argue that if the restrictions were eased on a phased basis it would actually free up vita services for the vulnerable like home delivery of shopping etc thus helping them to stay safer.

Nobody is telling high risk groups to get back out and start to mingle. But a strong economy is vital to help look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Will face masks become the norm? Seems only logical when we start lifting some restrictions

polesheep wrote: »
    My wife is an ICU nurse. It's you that has no credibility.

So is mine, actually.

Glad that your wife is working in ideal conditions, being supplied with fit-for-purpose PPE and not having to work extended hours.

Mine isn't so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

Phased "lettings it run through" is far more accurate way of putting it than "phased reopning"

Reopening kinda suggests you'll be able avoid.

Go and listen to the interview , it’s about how people with disabilities will be discriminated against if a health care worker has to make a decision who gets the ventilator.

Health workers will have to make hard decisions, and each case will be treated on its merits as it should. Luckily, for now we don't appear to have had to make these decisions but it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mary Lou has tested positive

polesheep wrote: »
    And you don't?

He knows old people like the rest of us.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

eagle eye wrote: »
    I had a very brief meeting in the bank this morning. While there I observed a local publican enter the premises and deposit a bunch of cash. He doesn't own and isn't involved in any other businesses.

That was probably his Communion money.
    Can the man not follow procedures to ensure the child does not get infected?

Jesus. What next, "Let them eat cake"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Gael23 wrote: »

SINN FÉIN LEADER Mary Lou McDonald has confirmed that she received a positive diagnosis for Covid-19 yesterday.

In a statement, McDonald said she was tested on 28 March.

She has thanked everyone who has sent their good wishes over the past number of weeks and said she will be back at work next Monday.

She said:

“Yesterday afternoon, I received a positive diagnosis for Covid-19 having been tested on Saturday, 28th March.

“The Public Health Doctor informs me that I am no longer infected or infectious, and this is a great relief after weeks of being very unwell.

“I had a setback in my recovery at the weekend and developed post-viral pleurisy in my right lung. I am on medication and responding very well, and I fully expect to be back at work next Monday.

McDonald said her thoughts and solidarity are with everyone who is sick at this time, stating that her gratitude is with the doctors, nurses, carers and everyone who looks after the public.

“My sympathy is with every bereaved family. I am heartbroken for you.

“My appeal to everyone is to stay safe, stay home and stay apart. You do not want to get this virus.

“Thanks to everyone who has asked after me and sent good wishes. Your kindness is much appreciated and I’ll be back next week. There is much work to be done – Ireland must change for the better.”

• Advertisement

Oh f*ck off,
    I forgot answering queries about an Easter bunny is much more important.

It communicates to children about what is going on. And is general in nature. The minster for health should never comment on individual ongoing or hypothetical cases- never. Something he was to say may be construed as direction or guidance to medical professionals, and as such bring undue influence on clinical decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Gael23 wrote: »

I wish her a speedy recovery.

So is mine, actually.

Glad that your wife is working in ideal conditions, being supplied with fit-for-purpose PPE and not having to work extended hours.

Mine isn't so lucky.

Some parts of the country are impacted far differently to others so both of your wife's experiences may be accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That wasnt the HSE.

Jesus you're actually just wrong in all of your posts. One of the least informed posters here - and that's saying something.

What is with the personal attacks?
    I've noticed this more and more over the past few days. People can't seem to disagree anymore. Everything has to be personal.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1250003948125204481?s=19

A very good thread here and with the WHO to announce guidelines today for the lifting of restrictions this gives you a good idea as to their thinking.

He also said in terms of social living that we can return to this pre vaccination so long as people take responsibility if they feel unwell. For example if you even have a common cold symptom going forward you simply dont go out and work from home if possible.

The other day they said they were worried about countries relaxing restrictions too soon, typical WHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So he wants a govt minister to waste his time answering a hypothetical question about a hypothetical situation?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Mary Lou was tested the 28th of March and got her results yesterday the 14th of April.

Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Sure when Italy was in a serious situation, anyone who even suggested that people in Ireland could die were labelled “scare merchants” and a bunch of other things. You just have to look back at some of the posts. I don’t think the majority of the population are able to critically think or analyse information. Evident from having an education system that only exists as a means of entering people into the workforce and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I wish her a speedy recovery.

I think she is over it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

Mary Lou was tested the 28th of March and got her results yesterday the 14th of April.

Ffs.

Well whats the result?
    is she positively negative or negatively positive?

Ffs.

you have heard about the backlog that is being worked through? Priority cases of those in hospital environments were not delayed significantly. Its actually good to hear that a politician was not able to skip the queue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Your first two paragraphs are probably one of stupidest things I've read on here this morning and for this thread that is something to say.

I would love to be able to go see my dad and other family members, I'd love to be sitting at a table outside a pub with a beer, but with a global recession on the way I'll be looking at keeping money for essential items.

I already told you that the stores you listed could be open online and deliver, but your not happy with that.

I am beginning to think most people can't stand to be at home with their family the way they are going on.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

This idea of old. I am early 50s, I consider myself young enough and I am active and healthy, thank goodness. One of my very best friend's is 71, she is the first one I turn to when things are good and when things are dire. She is a world traveler, politically engaged, a brilliant mind, a writer, a creator, and she can out walk me any day. Faster, longer, stronger. She is my heroine and inspiration, actually, and I have never ever once considered her old. I hope she lives for another 30 years at least. My parent and parents in law also, who are early 70s and living very full and exciting lives. They do more sociallly than I hardly ever do on one of their quiet days! It makes me quite sad the cavalier dismissal of the so called "old" by some on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I suppose MAry Lou was part of the batch sent to Germany then? Or why else could it have possible taken so long? Youd think theyd speed up a bit for such a high profile person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ffs.
    Fair play at least it looks like she waited and didn't throw her name about.....unlike a lot of other politicians, "celebrities" etc.

I hope she gets well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

fritzelly wrote: »
    The other day they said they were worried about countries relaxing restrictions too soon, typical WHO

The interview with David Nabarro on Sean O'Rourke was very interesting. WHO doesn't have to be an echo chamber, besides if countries are going to relax restrictions anyway, it makes sense to offer best practice guidelines on how best to do it. They can still be concerned about it not being done in a controlled manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

gmisk wrote: »
    Fair play at least it looks like she waited and didn't throw her name about.....unlike a lot of other politicians, "celebrities" etc.

what other celebrities have thrown around that they were waiting on results?

Gynoid wrote: »
    This idea of old. I am early 50s, I consider myself young enough and I am active and healthy, thank goodness. One of my very best friend's is 71, she is the first one I turn to when things are good and when things are dire. She is a world traveler, politically engaged, a brilliant mind, a writer, a creator, and she can out walk me any day. Faster, longer, stronger. She is my heroine and inspiration, actually, and I have never ever once considered her old. I hope she lives for another 30 years at least. My parent and parents in law also, who are early 70s and living very full and exciting lives. They do more sociallly than I hardly ever do on one of their quiet days! It makes me quite sad the cavalier dismissal of the so called "old" by some on here.

Some of the comments on here over the last few weeks have been a real eye opener but i'd like to believe boards isn't in any way representative of the Irish population.

Our older people matter greatly to me and i don't just mean my parents but all of them. I'm proud of the measures we've put in place the last few weeks as i didn't want to see a Italy or Spain type scenario with doctors having to play god open up here and thankfully cooler heads have prevailed and we've made the effort as a society.

That must continue though and we must protect the health service from a tsunami of infected over running them.

gmisk wrote: »

The Woman could be the next Tshock. Surely it could have been fast tracked.

The same people on here arguing for a complete lockdown for the foreseeable future are the ones who will be disappointed when we have a vaccine.

They will probably tell people not to vaccine against Covid as it causes side effects.

I hope we can continue to be successful against Covid but we need to plan on living with it for possibly years to come.

Probably the stupidest post iv'e read on here so far and that's saying something.

Every single person on here wants a vaccine no matter what side of the argument you come down on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Mr.S wrote: »
    Definitely not.

If she had minor symptoms it wouldn't have been rushed. She would have still been told to self-isolate like everyone else waiting for results.

How did the likes of Ryan Tubridy and Claire Byrne get tested and receive results so quickly when they had such mild symptoms by all accounts?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement