Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone doing any of the courses on fetchcourses ??

Starting the CompTIA A+ Core Series course this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Beasty wrote: »
    WWE an "essential business" in Florida:pac:

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1249980624745779200

Isn't there some positive cases in WWE now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Sinn Féin has cancelled its public meetings in Cavan and Galway after a case of coronavirus was confirmed at the school attended by Mary Lou McDonald's children https://www.newstalk.com/news/mary-lou-mcdonald-cancels-meetings-children-attend-coronavirus-hit-dublin-school-976286

Yea but she fit and well to attend the Dail as outlined above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Yea but she fit and well to attend the Dail as outlined above

oh right she was in the Dail March 19th https://www.kildarestreet.com/td/mary_lou_mcdonald/dublin_central and march 5th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I'm sick of being tik tok dance videos, they are so annoying to watch. Society are like sheep with their silly apps. The only app I would download is one that blocks tik tok videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

polesheep wrote: »
    And you don't?

My horse is the "not wanting a rake of people to die needlessly" horse.

Your horse is the "I'm losing a rake of money because of this government" horse.

Your horse should be put down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

why are they wasting their time talking to trump, try and get interviews with his cabinet, senior advisors/faucci at least or governors... Trump is waste of time.

That's what he's there for. He's a sponge to soak up time and divert attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

about 25 patients are in St Fintans psychiatric hospital in Portlaoise.

9 of those have died from the virus.

polesheep wrote: »
    My wife is an ICU nurse. It's you that has no credibility.
    So is mine, actually.

Polesheep and Virginmediapls discover they are both married to the same woman....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see Dublin Airport has corrected Gemma O'Doherty on Twitter (click for thread of facts)

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1249991450558947328

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

MD1990 wrote: »
    about 25 patients are in St Fintans psychiatric hospital in Portlaoise.

9 of those have died from the virus.
    'Unsuitable' psychiatric hospital continuing to admit patients

https://www.thejournal.ie/unsuitable-psychiatric-hospital-continuing-to-admit-patients-555509-Aug2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Polesheep and Virginmediapls discover they are both married to the same woman....

Haha

I'm sick of being tik tok dance videos, they are so annoying to watch. Society are like sheep with their silly apps. The only app I would download is one that blocks tik tok videos.

Dont watch them so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I see Dublin Airport has corrected Gemma O'Doherty on Twitter (click for thread of facts)

What is she rattling on about now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

owlbethere wrote: »
    What is she rattling on about now?

EVjbYRIWAAARcLp?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

theballz wrote: »
    Hi,

I got tested the weekend (Saturday,) it was fairly unclear in terms of next steps. They just said the HSE will contact me with results, I know their is a backlog and I am not expecting to hear from them before the end of this week at the earliest, however, I am keen to hear from someone who has tested positive.

What are the next steps?
    How did they contact you? Phone or text?
    Was it a doctor, nurse etc?

Any help greatly appreciated

I know someone who tested positive and shared the details with me. Took about 5 or 6 days for result to come. The person on the call didn't say if they were a doctor or nurse, I assume it was just admin staff. They gave the result, and asked for more details about the timing and nature of their symptoms (presumably as a data gathering excercise), then passed on to someone else to ask for details of contacts.

I assume contact tracing is complicated for some people but in this case they'd been self isolating and could list the names and numbers of the only possible contacts straight away. Advice from there was just to keep self isolating, stressing that this is complete isolation so no 2km runs or grocery shops (I don't know if they offer help with getting food if it's a problem), until 14 days after start of symptoms or 7 days after end, whichever is longer.

This was for someone who was young and had mild symptoms so there was never any question of hospital or whatever. They weren't informed of any next steps, they've passed the time where they no longer need to self isolate but continuing to do so anyway for safety. Nowhere else to go anyway - there's no certificate of immunity or anything to let you go out and ignore all the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

House Arrest.....laughable

She should go to SK or China during lockdown and she'll know all about what house arrest is.

Our lockdown is the Benny Hill and Scooby Doo of lockdowns.....and I am grateful for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Did you notice the amount of people being interviewed on tv with book shelves behind them. Some of them look like pictures. In this day and age with e-readers why would so many have book shelves or want to look like they have them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Because people still read and collect books?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19

That needs to be reposted every time someone on here prattles on about how we need to close down the airport here.

Along with some of the replies like this one, which show why people still need it.

https://twitter.com/CAugustenborg/status/1250021216322228226

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

eagle eye wrote: »
    Did you notice the amount of people being interviewed on tv with book shelves behind them. Some of them look like pictures. In this day and age with e-readers why would so many have book shelves or want to look like they have them?

Because a lot of people are sick looking at screens all day in work/on their phone, so want to read physical books

Ace2007 wrote:
    Because a lot of people are sick looking at screens all day in work/on their phone, so want to read physical books
    An e-reader is nothing like a computer screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Gemma's on the sherry again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

In this day and age with e-readers why would so many have book shelves or want to look like they have them?

I'm guessing the vast majority of people without ereaders and/or those who prefer to read physical books?

Ace2007 wrote: »

Ereader / Book = Same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Man people will have been collecting books for decades before there were any e-readers. No mystery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I prefer a book to any of them e readers or kindles.
    No charging a book and losing chargers.
    It’s nice to go in a bookshop too and do an hours looking from you.
    Manys the good book I got in the charity shop for pennies and give them away when you have it finished

quokula wrote: »
    That needs to be reposted every time someone on here prattles on about how we need to close down the airport here.

Along with some of the replies like this one, which show why people still need it.

https://twitter.com/CAugustenborg/status/1250021216322228226

That name is suspiciously foreign. Gemma will be after them soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Last week a target for our ire was of course....the deaf. Today, people who own books. The bastards.

I can't wait to see who it will be tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

An e-reader is nothing like a book
    Ereader / Book = Same thing

Not quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Mmmhmmm and when the epoch-cleansing EMP hits from out of the blue and wipes out all your fancy pants e-readers, it will be old fogeys like me with our shelves full of herbals, gardening and craft books, DIY Encyclopedias vols 1 through 80, ancient histories, science books and tattered copies of Dante's Inferno who will rebuild a civilised world for you, young man. :) Hold mah earrings...

Gynoid wrote: »
    Mmmhmmm and when the epoch-cleansing EMP hits from out of the blue and wipes out all your fancy pants e-readers, it will be old fogeys like me with our shelves full of herbals, gardening and craft books, DIY Encyclopedias vols 1 through 80, ancient histories, science books and tattered copies of Dante's Inferno who will rebuild a civilised world for you, young man. :)Hold mah earrings...

That made me chuckle, thank you! :D

Well part of my post was that some of these people actually don't have a book shelf just a picture of one on the wall behind them when they are being interviewed. What is that about?

Depends on where they're sitting?

Or they're using that background hiding thingy from Skype? A picture of a bookshelf? I never noticed, TBH.

Gynoid wrote:
    Mmmhmmm and when the epoch-cleansing EMP hits from out of the blue and wipes out all your fancy pants e-readers, it will be old fogeys like me with our shelves full of herbals, gardening and craft books, DIY Encyclopedias vols 1 through 80, ancient histories, science books and tattered copies of Dante's Inferno who will rebuild a civilised world for you, young man. Hold mah earrings...
    I'm not young but I move with the times.

• Advertisement

What?

2010-09-21-ConfusedDog_sm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Well part of my post was that some of these people actually don't have a book shelf just a picture of one on the wall behind them when they are being interviewed. What is that about?

Anyone with a picture of a bookshelf instead of an actual bookshelf should be took outside and shot,for the greater good.
    Pretentious,shark jumping,skinny latte drinking gombeens.
    They probably eat avocados aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

God love her, she really is a hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I prefer a book to any of them e readers or kindles.
    No charging a book and losing chargers.
    It’s nice to go in a bookshop too and do an hours looking from you.
    Manys the good book I got in the charity shop for pennies and give them away when you have it finished

Howya, Tubridy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I'm not young but I move with the times.

I have a kindle too. Not knocking them. But my library will be for my children's children to trip out on. :)

• Advertisement

I've noticed it, it's started to become a bit of a game between my partner and I to spot what's on the bookshelves. It definitely seems like a way to project how well read they are before they go on tv.

I'm working from home and have been in video chats with 100+ people over the last few weeks and haven't seen a book shelf behind one of them that I can recall. Though I guess they're all from a technology and engineering background rather than a journalism / acting background.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Although I haven't had the need to use Zoom yet I know that it allows the use of virtual backgrounds, maybe it's just to hide the stacks of empty cans, bottles or whatever chaos has evolved in their houses since lockdown commenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I have four big bookshelves in my house. I'm not going to throw out all my books and buy them again on kindle.

I would find a house without a bookshelf much stranger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's just for the aesthetics.

Same as news stations reporting live from X studio, with the reporter infront of a green screen, and a live stream of the city being played behind them. Eg RTE from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

theballz wrote: »
    Hi,

I got tested the weekend (Saturday,) it was fairly unclear in terms of next steps. They just said the HSE will contact me with results, I know their is a backlog and I am not expecting to hear from them before the end of this week at the earliest, however, I am keen to hear from someone who has tested positive.

What are the next steps?
    How did they contact you? Phone or text?
    Was it a doctor, nurse etc?

Any help greatly appreciated

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing.html
    read down through this and I think you will find all that info

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation-and-limited-social-interaction.html#self-isolation
    info on self isolation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

saneman wrote: »
    Although I haven't had the need to use Zoom yet I know that it allows the use of virtual backgrounds, maybe it's just to hide the stacks of empty cans, bottles or whatever chaos has evolved in their houses since lockdown commenced.

I've noticed the trend too and have had zoom calls. I went with this for the craic. Don't think anybody got the joke.
    509548.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

:eek:

Wash your mouth out with soap! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Hrududu wrote: »
    Last week a target for our ire was of course....the deaf. Today, people who own books. The bastards.

I can't wait to see who it will be tomorrow.

There seems to be a need for a target for outrage at all times, no matter how ridiculous the target may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

hawkelady wrote: »
    Don’t worry, the jets are cool.. I must be wasting my time , according to you , doing up rosters for nursing staff that were on part time but now doing full time .. some of them reluctant but they are stepping up to the plate.. maybe you should talk to your wife more..

Part time to full time is not what was being discussed. It was extra hours on top of full time.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Gemma's on the sherry again....

I think it's a few sherry's she's in need of, to chill the fuck out.

Strange creature altogether.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement