Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

My horse is the "not wanting a rake of people to die needlessly" horse.

Your horse is the "I'm losing a rake of money because of this government" horse.

Your horse should be put down.

His horse is currently being put down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I've noticed the trend too and have had zoom calls. I went with this for the craic. Don't think anybody got the joke.
    509548.jpg

Ah because you went to UCD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Polesheep and Virginmediapls discover they are both married to the same woman....

What if we're the same person? I've just realised that I'm wearing an orange T-shirt... and I hate orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Even a football match or any sport event won’t be the same without a crowd present

They could link each paying viewer up to a a set of speakers in the stadium from their own personal computer. You could pay more for a higher volume and be allowed to shout encouragement or insults according to your want. What could go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Heckler wrote: »
    My local Supervalu have been great in all this. Whats the problem ? Offending your religious views ? They would be open every other Sunday.

It wouldn’t kill them to give their workers a break is what I’m saying.
    But I’m more pissed off that they’re doing no control whatsoever going into the shop nor providing sanitizer as you walk in.
    Not only that but it’s basically a free for all going in.
    Whereas Dunnes etc are restricting to 1 person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

New York reports 778 new deaths (up from 671 yesterday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I've noticed the trend too and have had zoom calls. I went with this for the craic. Don't think anybody got the joke.

Hilarious.

I'm the opposite. My bookshelf is a small 2 shelf unit which holds about 12 books in total. I'd have to sit on the floor to get it in the background!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

eagle eye wrote: »
    Did you notice the amount of people being interviewed on tv with book shelves behind them. Some of them look like pictures. In this day and age with e-readers why would so many have book shelves or want to look like they have them?

Where else would I keep my books but on a bookshelf?

I much prefer a physical book, plus many of the books I read aren't on kindle. Thankfully Amazon are still selling decent second hand books that are on my wishlist but I really need the library to open soon.

Physical books are still way outselling kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

509548.jpg

that feels like years ago now when we had those tourists that visited there and then on up to Belfast. time is so relative. edit and The Book is not even there.

• Advertisement

Cuomo warning that the situation in New York is very serious but the rate of hospitalisation is now under control.

However, he is warning against lifting restrictions saying it is only under control because of mitigation measures. If you remove the measures you will see cause and effect within days he says.

He's worried about an overwhelming surge.

He also says Trump is not a king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

The only thing Trump gives a **** about is reopening the economy so he can bump his chances of being reelected.

To help with the casualties, there's an election coming.

Italy reports 602 deaths and 2,974 new cases. Deaths up, cases down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

1-5e6f25ded66e6__700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Good news regarding the cases. Hopefully the trend continues downwards this week.

RIP to all, the deaths will remain high unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Good news regarding the cases. Hopefully the trend continues downwards this week.

RIP to all, the deaths will remain high unfortunately

Ye. Cases way down though. Lets hope to see moee of this across Europe and things might get back on track for summer season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Where else would I keep my books but on a bookshelf?

I much prefer a physical book, plus many of the books I read aren't on kindle. Thankfully Amazon are still selling decent second hand books that are on my wishlist but I really need the library to open soon.

Physical books are still way outselling kindle.

Prefer physical books too, downloaded borrowbox for my library account, however any book I want I have to wait weeks for it to be available. Going to try some audiobooks so I can listen while I work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Blazer wrote: »
    It wouldn’t kill them to give their workers a break is what I’m saying.
    But I’m more pissed off that they’re doing no control whatsoever going into the shop nor providing sanitizer as you walk in.
    Not only that but it’s basically a free for all going in.
    Whereas Dunnes etc are restricting to 1 person.

That's obviously on a store by store basis; ballinteer has someone limiting the numbers in according to those out, and sanitizer\paper towels to wipe trolley and basket handles down as well as more sanitizer at the entrance to the building too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

tigger123 wrote: »
    The only thing Trump gives a **** about is reopening the economy so he can bump his chances of being reelected.

To help with the casualties, there's an election coming.

Avoiding a global depression is a key consideration as well.

I'm for the lockdown but the 2 must be balanced.

Looking at the various graphs for countries there seems to be a 10 day lag (approx) between peak cases and peak deaths.

So glad to see Italy on the downslope at last.

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 14 April 2020 @ 08:00 hrs. CET

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-04-14.png?itok=leiaZ3nB

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hilarious.

I'm the opposite. My bookshelf is a small 2 shelf unit which holds about 12 books in total. I'd have to sit on the floor to get it in the background!
    I choose a corner with no books. It has a tall floor lamp, some nice miniature paintings but I think I need to get a plant into the shot.

BTW for those "stuck" with the bookshelf, Zoom offers virtual backgrounds. Endless fun was had with them on a weekend family call!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The next person to post the olympics picture should have to voluntarily have that same picture tattooed on their forehead.ðŸ˜႒😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ye. Cases way down though. Lets hope to see moee of this across Europe and things might get back on track for summer season.

If there isn't a vaccine by the Summer, I don't see how it can get back on track.............and by track I mean back to 2019 level normal. Some people might get back to work but I can't see anything that involves large gatherings being allowed until there is a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Is the briefing at 530.

john why wrote: »
    Is the briefing at 530.
    What does the sticky at the top of the forum say?

INMO Trolley Watch figures for April 14th 2020

Good figures again today from trolley watch, 8 beds short in Irish Hospitals.

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

is_that_so wrote: »

Monday 6pm???

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Monday 6pm???

Blame Beasty then! 5.30-5.45 is usual unless otherwise stated. No word from Fergal on a later time.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

is_that_so wrote: »

This nothing on the top of the forum for me, I'm my phone. But thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If there isn't a vaccine by the Summer, I don't see how it can get back on track.............and by track I mean back to 2019 level normal. Some people might get back to work but I can't see anything that involves large gatherings being allowed until there is a vaccine.

There wont be a vaccine for a good while, one of the WHO doctors on RTE radio earlier said as much. Also added that we'll have to go back to a normal and social life with more awareness and caution than before, a cough, a sniffle or any other sign of illness you'll have to isolate. We'll eventually have to live life with the virus for want of a better phrase.
    His words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

548 new cases (+284)
    41 deaths RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

548 new Irish tests, 284 German samples.
    41 new deaths. RIP to all. 36 in east, 4 west and one south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

548 new cases from Irish labs

41 new deaths - RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

#releasethelockdownnow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

john why wrote: »
    This nothing on the top of the forum for me, I'm my phone. But thanks anyway.

Its on rte news now
    + 548 irish tests
    + 284 German tests
    41 deaths
    May they rest in peace..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    548 new cases from Irish labs

41 new deaths - RIP

Worst day of all for deaths :(

160 currently in ICU

Seems like our new cases have stagnated. 548 today and 527 yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Surely these figures have to drop this week. They can't be increasing indefinitely.

90,646 tests done. Christ that's a massive increase.

#releasethelockdownnow

There's always one. Have a thimble of empathy for the departed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Surely these figures have to drop this week. They can't be increasing indefinitely.

If you don't test you won't find. We are doing a lot more testing.

If we increase our testing and we expand our case definition we will find more cases.

#releasethelockdownnow

#no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

• Advertisement

Tony seems like a robot now at these briefings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Looks like new cases may have peaked in Ireland already (at some point in the last few days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

As per example of Mary Lou, she was waiting 16 days for a result! So are today's figures from ppl with live virus 16 days ago?

Testing numbers today put us ahead of Germany and Italy in tests per 1 million (18226).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Tony seems like a robot now at these briefings

he has a weird OCD ritual every press conference, checks all his pockets, puts on and off his glasses, drinks some water, checks sheets of paper, all while darting his head around as if watching out for approaching enemies. bizarre.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement