Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Brazil became the first country in the southern hemisphere to surpass 1,000 deaths with coronavirus

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Brazil became the first country in the southern hemisphere to surpass 1,000 deaths with coronavirus

Those Brazilians ay, doing a better job than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If you think Trump is a clown in this crisis, keep an eye on Bolsonaro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Out of idle curiosity, who do you think would have provided better leadership than Leo?

A straight talker would be better who gives the facts without plagiarising quotes from films. Leo is absolutely uninspiring but a good leader does not necessarily have to be inspiring. Being truthful and leading by example can be enough. Leo is playing to his weaknesses rather than his strengths.

As to who would be better, that is hard to answer as how can we judge someone who is not experienced in dealing with a situation like this. The only person we can truly judge at the moment is Leo. That may seem unfair but that’s the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

1641 wrote: »
    The two figures were given seperately for very good reasons.

7074 cases confirmed by Irish laboritories up until yesterday afternoon. They give this figure every day. So we can see from this how much the increase is on a day to day basis.

8089 cases in total up until yesterday afternoon, when the results back from Germany are included. There were about 1015 positive cases back from Germany over yesterday and Thursday. But they came from tests conducted 2-3 weeks ago. If these were just included in the daily figures it would look like there was a huge increase in newly emerging cases over the past couple of days, ie, a hugely distorted impression.

All of the figures were there yesterday but poorly explained. I think that the CMO tends to go on far too much in response to questions. It is more like "tell me everything you know" - and the woods get lost for the trees. But the full figures were there. It is easier to see the detail on the website report than get it from answers at the news conference.

The German results should be included in the daily figures. The German lab just needs to send a simple report each day with the number of test completed and the number of positive cases.

No need for any hold up. We need results as quickly as possible so contact tracing can start or patients can get the correct treatment.

Absolutely no need to wait days to include the German numbers in a separate batch. Confusing and unnecessary.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    A straight talker would be better who gives the facts without plagiarising quotes from films. Leo is absolutely uninspiring but a good leader does not necessarily have to be inspiring. Being truthful and leading by example can be enough. Leo is playing to his weaknesses rather than his strengths.

As to who would be better, that is hard to answer as how can we judge someone who is not experienced in dealing with a situation like this. The only person we can truly judge at the moment is Leo. That may seem unfair but that’s the way it is.

So Leo isn't up to the job and there isn't anyone else you'd suggest? I think he's doing a reasonably good job in the circumstances but Coveney would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭threeball

His 'weaknesses' have caused 1,000s of people to die. His inability to comprehend that this virus would spread and kill meant that he promoted the idea that it was a hoax. Or maybe he just didn't give a sh1t.

He doesnt even know the difference between virus and bacteria. How could he understand how serious the situation is.

Do you need a leader to inspire you in life?

Are you that insecure?

Do you need someone to hold your hand?

The message is simple.

Stay at home and put your big boy pants on.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

B9K9 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here.
    If we (or any country) test less, our statistics will look better as regards infection rate, but worse as regards case fatality rate.
    Therefore many comparisons are flawed due to either greater or lesser number of tests per million population.
    Infection rates are pretty meaningless in virtually all countries. There's a fair chance that the majority of those infected will never be tested. The number of positives is a factor of the numbers tested and very little else, except for those countries such as Germany and South Korea who have carried out widespread testing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Another day where this has been blown out of proportion.

I know what you mean .... and sometimes I think the same myself like the Brazilian President (RTE News) who has scoffd at such mild symptoms, but then on the other hand we hear about people in an awful state, gasping for breath & dying.

It seems to me that this Covid-19 virus is playing Russian Roulette with us, so God help you if the next shot has a live round in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

US2 wrote: »
    Polands population is 8 times that of Ireland.

Poland has 7 land borders.

6000 cases 180 deaths.

Ireland is an island surrounded by water

8000 cases 280 deaths.

Keep those ferrys and planes coming tho, shur it's only irish people coming home, as if they cant be infected because they are irish.

TONY HOLOHAN SAID HE DOES NOT EXPECT COMMUNITY SPREAD AFTER PEOPLE WHO HADNT TRAVELLED OR BEEN IN CONTACT WITH A CONFIRMED CASE TESTED POSITIVE.. AFTER!?

Dont listen to him. Think for yourself,, protect yourself and your family dont listen to this proven liar.

Women waiting 12+ months for cervical cancer tests, and after 12 months waiting told they need to be tested again !

how can you believe this guys figures.

Poland are testing less than Ireland.
    Poland are only testing of people who end up in hospital.
    Poland are only recording deaths from Poland.
    Poland are to open there borders the 5th of may

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Wombatman wrote: »
    The German results should be included in the daily figures. The German lab just needs to send a simple report each day with the number of test completed and the number of positive cases.

No need for any hold up. We need results as quickly as possible so contact tracing can start or patients can get the correct treatment.

Absolutely no need to wait days to include the German numbers in a separate batch. Confusing and unnecessary.

Not if they were for older 3 week old tests, which would make them just history.

The daily updates reported need to be the most recent 2-7 days to be of any use in measuring the rate of spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

But if you had to choose. Considering you said that the US are "doing better", US or Ireland over the next two months?

The problem with my answer to this, is that when it comes to my country... the heart will unfortunately rule the head.

If this ship is sinking, I'll be going down with it.

Obviously also depends on where you're living in the U.S... New York is worse hit than many countries. More rural U.S states are relatively unaffected - and may continue to be.

I still think Ireland will likely do worse long term than the U.S. They've been very slow to move, but once the geers have started to turn, I think they'll get a handle on this quicker than many people realise.

The funny thing is, all the ridicule that people aim at America... but guess who will be the most likely to produce a workable vaccine in the near future? (Or a viable therapeutic drug - also most likely to come from the states!) :rolleyes:

Do you need a leader to inspire you in life?

Are you that insecure?

Do you need someone to hold your hand?

The message is simple.

Stay at home and put your big boy pants on.

We are talking about Leo’s leadership, not whether a leader is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wibbs wrote: »
    But are there more? Or are people, including GP's more likely to focus on such things in the current crisis? Sudden adult death syndrome, or SADS is common enough already. It's why there's been the drive for defibrillator machines
    in public places and a recognition of the condition that kills a fair number of young healthy people every year. I lost a good friend to it twenty years ago, when it wasn't so well known among the public.

I don’t know honestly. But it appears to match those reports of people dropping in the streets in China.. Unfortunately at this stage of pandemic we don’t have much more to go on than anecdotes.

We are talking about Leo’s leadership, not whether a leader is required.

Just follow the advice and stay at home.

You're not a child, you don't need leadership.

The problem with my answer to this, is that when it comes to my country... the heart will unfortunately rule the head.

If this ship is sinking, I'll be going down with it.

Obviously also depends on where you're living in the U.S... New York is worse hit than many countries. More rural U.S states are relatively unaffected - and my continue to be.

I still think Ireland will likely do worse long term than the U.S. They've been very slow to move, but once the geers have started to turn, I think they'll get a handle on this quicker than many people realise.

The funny thing is, all the ridicule that people aim at America... but guess who will be the most likely to produce a workable vaccine in the near future? (Or a viable therapeutic drug - also most likely to come from the states!) :rolleyes:

Your patriotism notwithstanding, if your only goal was to live through this pandemic, US or Ireland?

fits wrote: »
    I don’t know honestly. But it appears to match those reports of people dropping in the streets in China.. Unfortunately at this stage of pandemic we don’t have much more to go on than anecdotes.

More scaremongering and lies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Is that just during the pandemic or should we not bother with any heads of state going forward?
    No more governments figure it out yourself , big boy pants etc.

I like your style but it's not really realistic is it

Sorry to disappoint you but I won’t stay at home.

I will go to work Monday to Friday as always. When I need groceries I will go to the supermarket. When I need petrol I will go to the petrol station. When I want to go for a walk I will walk 2 km from my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭1641

Wombatman wrote: »

What are you talking about? They give the German reports every day (in the last few days when there have been German results). They give the numbers confirmed by Irish labs - the ongoing contemporary tests, which show the daily trend. And they give the combined figures.Two seperate figures.

What would be confusing is just to give the combined figure - as it would give the impression that there has been a huge jump in cases over the past couple of days. An upward acceleration.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is that just during the pandemic or should we not bother with any heads of state going forward?

What was your point about Leo's apartment and mortgage?

Exactly.

I've been clear all along here.

I will go to work Monday to Friday as always. When I need groceries I will go to the supermarket. When I need petrol I will go to the petrol station. When I want to go for a walk I will walk 2 km from my house.

Great. As long as you don't infect anyone and someone dies as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it could be michael martin soon :/

Yep that works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Exactly.

I've been clear all along here.

Great. So free for all. No government ,taxes, law or any type of centralised system. None of that auld ****e

Sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Great. So free for all. No government ,taxes, law or any type of centralised system. None of that auld ****e

Sounds good to me.

I look forward to your non-complaining when you're personally paying for your own police, fire brigade, nursing/doctoring, teaching, infrastructure etc services on demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

1641 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? They give the German reports every day (in the last few days when there have been German results). They give the numbers confirmed by Irish labs - the ongoing contemporary tests, which show the daily trend. And they give the combined figures.Two seperate figures.

What would be confusing is just to give the combined figure - as it would give the impression that there has been a huge jump in cases over the past couple of days. An upward acceleration.

Do an adjustment for the German backlog and include the rest in daily. There should really be no backlog from today.

Why in the hell does it matter where the bloody lab is?

The swabs as shipped to Germany, hopfully each day. The results should be available after a couple of days.

What ever German completed and confirmed figures they have at the end of the day, should be included with the Irish lab figures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement