Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not really, I work in IT and that's a scripting issue therefore an IT issue, someone didn't do the QA properly when running through it

It's impossible to say either way. It could be that the requirements were wrong and the developer/QA team did what was asked of them. It also could be that the requirements were correct and this was a mistake by the dev/QA team. We don't have enough information to say either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The news of 41 deaths is really sad. I'm checking rip.ie for my region every day for any evidence that it has entered the nursing homes I'm involved with and thankfully it doesn't seem to have so far although it does appear to be in two in my nearest town. I can't imagine how the relatives of nursing home residents feel right now. There is such an air of inevitability about their situation.

Finally, what happens if a large number of people report Gemma's Twitter account? Surely she has to be considered a danger to herself and others at this stage.

What you mean nursing homes you involved with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Gael23 wrote: »
    With restrictions in place why are deaths still rising? We are past 14 days since they were introduced

You really don't get what the restrictions are designed to do, do you? This is here for the long run. Restrictions are to keep the pressure on the health service at a manageable level. Plus people can take weeks to show symptoms and may be hospitalised for many weeks as medical staff try to save their lives. Unfortunately, even when new cases start to fall, the death rate will continue to climb.

The notion some people have that, after a few weeks of restrictions, all this will be behind us needs to be knocked on the head and a dose of reality administered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

1% of the population of New York has now tested positive for COVID
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/g19r6z/a_stunning_1_in_100_new_york_residents_have_now/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://twitter.com/datavizireland/status/1250114533697490946?s=19

https://twitter.com/datavizireland/status/1250114268835577857?s=19

Both good stats again. People need to look beyond the case numbers and actually look at the statistics behind the figures.

I wouldn't be too quick to put Ireland on a pedestal

Not trying to, but people need to see the reality behind the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Anyone know anything more about this one?

HSE not going ahead with purported €7.4 million deal for 350 ventilators, High Court told

No explanation on why this was cancelled. I can understand it though if they found a source for them closer to home (ventilators made in Ireland or elsewhere in Europe), at better price or if the order arriving might have taken too long. Still, some sort of clarification would be nice. Now the article makes it sound like there won't be more ventilators for you and that's it.

Entirely guessing here, but public procurement is an absolute nightmare a the best of times.
    If supplier agreements/contracts/frameworks weren't written with provisions for such an unprecedented emergency demand (whereby you can buy off whoever can supply them quickest) it can lead an absolute legal minefield.

I dunno where this company falls sides in all that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Looking good in terms of tests completed -

Well done HSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Don't know if this has been posted but a positive for remdesivir.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200413144055.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How long before we become completed decentized to the numbers dead. For me its just a number I wait to check every day. Crazy the way it ****s with your head.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    The notion some people have that, after a few weeks of restrictions, all this will be behind us needs to be knocked on the head and a dose of reality administered.
    As does the notion that it's feasible to have a lockdown until a vaccine is found.

To be fair, Harris has indicated that it'll be a gradual rollback and for nobody to expect a complete rollback. He's preparing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Strazdas wrote: »
    Worst day of all for deaths :(

I'm just catching up with the days news and the corona news of the day. Its very sad see this. RIP to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Louisiana reports highest death toll so far at 129, another state goes in to triple figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

niallo27 wrote: »
    How long before we become completed decentized to the numbers dead. For me its just a number I wait to check every day. Crazy the way it ****s with your head.

I think it's always important to remember, they are not just numbers. But people's mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters. Somewhere tonight on this small island many families are grieving.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not trying to, but people need to see the reality behind the figures.

To be fair Ireland are better then most - but thats not say they are catching all deaths in nursing homes .

• Advertisement

New Jersey reports 362 new deaths, its highest so far. US looks like seeing it's 2nd 2,000 + daily fatality number.

I wonder if the majority of those deaths are basically just New York deaths, Jersey city and Newark is basically part of NYC metropolitan area

ixoy wrote: »
    As does the notion that it's feasible to have a lockdown until a vaccine is found.

To be fair, Harris has indicated that it'll be a gradual rollback and for nobody to expect a complete rollback. He's preparing people.

I fully agree but many on here don't seemed to have picked up on it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

niallo27 wrote: »

Spain and Italy were losing 8 to 9 hundred daily at their peak. UK Posting similar numbers now
    If we manage to keep it to under 50 per day considering its rampant in our nursing homes it will be miraculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe we should all go off to a music festival away from this thread. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Galadriel

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why, it's the main current thread, can I not make a comment or observation

Over and over and over again? people have responded to you many times including mods but nope, on and on you go.

• Advertisement

France doesnt seem to have reached the decline Spain and Italy have at all. 6.5k new cases and 762 deaths today in France

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ICU and hospitalisation % both down again. New cases aren't exploding either.

Look at the positives and the curve is being flattened.

RIP to all who have passed.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I wonder if the majority of those deaths are basically just New York deaths, Jersey city and Newark is basically part of NYC metropolitan area

No, it's treated very differently.

Louisiana moves to triple figures now as well, 129 deaths.

Are we now approaching Italys situation?

Someone here on these forums said, if we were to apply Italys numbers to us to take in heads per population or something or another we would be having about 60 deaths a day.

I'm not happy about having 500+ cases a day. Surely this is Italys type of case numbers if you were to do the maths.

I'm not able to watch the briefing. What are the details about the new cases please?

Are they related to
    Clusters?
    Travel?
    Community transmission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

is_that_so wrote: »

Unfortunately you won’t find many positive links like that posted on this thread. You’ll find they won’t get many likes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Ace2007 wrote: »
    What you mean nursing homes you involved with?

I do non-essential work with various nursing homes, so obviously none of that work is taking place at the moment. I have good friends that live in and work in nursing homes so I am extremely worried about them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Imagine the daily deaths if we multiplied it by the factor of population difference between ourselves and China!

This altering of our figures to paint it in a worse light than the reality is some sort of voyeurism.

Australia and New zealand really seem to be doing well, the number of new cases the last few days in both countries is down to a trickle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Gynoid wrote: »
    How about you tell me? Do you know anything completely factually about any countries death inclusions? I doubt it, because I would say every country is doing a bit of creative accounting. And no one knows the exact truth. So we can only go on the figures that are admitted. And on that basis our figures are not great. In my opinion. 50% over and above normal daily death rate here compared to any other year. And highly comparable to countries like Italy, France, UK, which have very unpleasant numbers still.
    death rate in England up 60% compared to the last 5 years

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/weeklyprovisionalfiguresondeathsregisteredinenglandandwales

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

They have a system to deal with that anyway, although it seems they tend to be going to Dublin.

Not so, hospitals in the midlands are receiving patients from Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thanks for the link ,,good positive news

Excluding microstates Ireland now has 7th highest level of testing per capita in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Gael23 wrote: »
    That should be 14 days which was Easter Sunday so we should be seeing results

Ring up the virus and tell him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Gynoid wrote: »
    How about you tell me? Do you know anything completely factually about any countries death inclusions? I doubt it, because I would say every country is doing a bit of creative accounting. And no one knows the exact truth. So we can only go on the figures that are admitted. And on that basis our figures are not great. In my opinion. 50% over and above normal daily death rate here compared to any other year. And highly comparable to countries like Italy, France, UK, which have very unpleasant numbers still.

Plus, most of those countries are further along than us.

We've got another two weeks or so of growth in our daily death rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Australia and New zealand really seem to be doing well, the number of new cases the last few days in both countries is down to a trickle

Seasonal differences hopefully. I know Iran was riddled but I'm not sure what happened here.

They didn't mess with this virus and they moved very quickly taking action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It's impossible to say either way. It could be that the requirements were wrong and the developer/QA team did what was asked of them. It also could be that the requirements were correct and this was a mistake by the dev/QA team. We don't have enough information to say either way.
    Sounded like a specification issue, as described in the briefing this evening. Developers do not have a medical background (generally), so their customer's (HSE) specs ......were not up to spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

niallo27 wrote:
    Seasonal differences hopefully. I know Iran was riddled but I'm not sure what happened here.

Maybe because large parts of Iran including Tehran are very cold from January to March??

owlbethere wrote: »
    They didn't mess with this virus and they moved very quickly taking action.

New Zealand in particular is so geographically isolated it can't really be used as a good comparison for most other countries.

Australia are moving in to their winter so it will be interesting to see if they can maintain control when trying to open up.

The lesson from Singapore is how quickly things can revert from under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The government acted too slow on nursing homes. Staff numbers be dramatically down and this is being kept quiet.

Is HIQA doing any inspections at all now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

At the moment, you mean?
    (I dunno, apparently comparing numbers of cases in different countries fcuks with the space-time continuum or something. Unless of course someone wants to argue in favour of how great x y or z are doing with their case/ death numbers per million, in which case let's all get out there and start gathering shekels pronto. Shrugs. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

The government acted too slow on nursing homes. Staff numbers be dramatically down and this is being kept quiet.

Hindsight is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

if the problem was with invalid results why was it only a problem with german lab results ? surely irish labs would get invalid results too... was there a different route to the texting system? where Irish labs could do a double check before people were texted.

The HSE recruited all the care assistants at start if crisis,and given difference in pay between public and private,who can blame em

It seems the practice of agency staff maybe working between multiple locations has had diastorous effect

Singapore reports 334 new cases and 1 new death.

It still surprises because everyone was use to Singapore having this completely under control and just like that...

• Advertisement

It seems the practice of agency staff maybe working between multiple locations has had diastorous effect

That seems to have been traced and is a major factor in the nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

easypazz wrote: »
    Hindsight is great too.

The same thing happened in China. Loads of nursing home deaths.

They just weren't watching. They were asleep at the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Coronavirus could attack immune system like HIV by targeting protective cells, warn scientists

Researchers in China and the US find that the virus that causes Covid-19 can destroy the T cells that are supposed to protect the body from harmful invaders
    One doctor said concern is growing in medical circles that effect could be similar to HIV
    T lymphocytes, also known as T cells, play a central role in identifying and eliminating alien invaders in the body.

They do this by capturing a cell infected by a virus, boring a hole in its membrane and injecting toxic chemicals into the cell. These chemicals then kill both the virus and infected cell and tear them to pieces.

To the surprise of the scientists, the T cell became a prey to the coronavirus in their experiment. They found a unique structure in the virus’ spike protein that apparently triggered the fusion of a viral envelope and cell membrane when they came into contact.

The virus’s genes then entered the T cell and took it hostage, disabling its function of protecting humans.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3079443/coronavirus-could-target-immune-system-targeting-protective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

easypazz wrote: »
    Hindsight is great too.

This was clear from the outset. Nursing homes were the most vulnerable. We seen it happening in Italy and Spain.

This isn't hindsight.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Looking good in terms of tests completed -

Well done HSE

Up 20,000 since last week, which is not far off 3,000 a day which is a big jump. That probably explains the hike in numbers testing positive since last Thursday.

The think that's bothering me is our Nursing Home deaths. The UK stats are suggesting 10-15% of deaths outside of hospital environments are being missed from the "official" figures

We have 187 out of 406 deaths in nursing homes. I wonder if some of those in nursing homes should be being transferred to hospital? Having said that it would appear our hospitals are not as overrun as others which may mean there is a better overall quality of care and a better overall outlook

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement