Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Singapore reports 334 new cases and 1 new death.

It still surprises because everyone was use to Singapore having this completely under control and just like that...

Your a bundle of optimism. Only one death is brilliant. Come back when they have hundreds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Do they say how many are waiting to be tested?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That seems to have been traced and is a major factor in the nursing homes.

I would know a few care assistants/meals-on-wheels folks

Its a great service,even calling to peoples home for hour or 2,and something we should be proud of

.......but the risks are nuts as regards this virus and its only last week or 2,they have tightened up regulations

(most were doing best to minimise risk,without direction from agency)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

cnocbui wrote: »

That's in vitro though...
    Not sure if there is any evidence for this happening in an individual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Beasty wrote: »
    Up 20,000 since last week, which is not far off 3,000 a day which is a big jump. That probably explains the hike in numbers testing positive since last Thursday.

The think that's bothering me is our Nursing Home deaths. The UK stats are suggesting 10-15% of deaths outside of hospital environments are being missed from the "official" figures

We have 187 out of 406 deaths in nursing homes. I wonder if some of those in nursing homes should be being transferred to hospital? Having said that it would appear our hospitals are not as overrun as others which may mean there is a better overall quality of care and a better overall outlook

A Medical Officer in the UK said today that he "estimates" nursing home deaths would increase their reported deaths by, conservatively, 50%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

where are they testing people? are there test centres set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Doctor on RTÉ said joggers do represent risk of spreading infection to those they run by

wakka12 wrote: »
    Doctor on RTÉ said joggers do represent risk of spreading infection to those they run by

getting hilarious now

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    getting hilarious now

Why so funny

Why so funny

hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A Medical Officer in the UK said today that he "estimates" nursing home deaths would increase their reported deaths by, conservatively, 50%.

The ONS came up with figures of 10% which was widely reported in the UK news this morning. They are compiling data from death certificates which lag behind the hospital stats, although they are trying to improve that

Not sure who the "medical officer" would be and if they have any data to support their suggestion. A lot of people (in all countries) have tendencies to pluck figures out of the air if it suits their position

However I do think there are a lot of people in many countries who are not getting into "official" figures because they were never tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

getting hilarious now
    The amount of spitting and Snotting joggers do around here I am not surprised...

getting hilarious now

Did you watch her explaining the problem? Far from a laughing matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Singapore reports 334 new cases and 1 new death.

It still surprises because everyone was use to Singapore having this completely under control and just like that...

It seems that they were able to do full contract tracing on all cases,looks like most cases are centralised to a McDonald's as the slight increase in the cases

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

where are they testing people? are there test centres set up

Thought they had 40-50 across the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

niallo27 wrote: »
    Your a bundle of optimism. Only one death is brilliant. Come back when they have hundreds.

Not understanding the lag between confirmed cases and deaths are we?

Singapore has one of, if not the best, health provisions in the world. They won't be content with a single death.

It's us who need to focus on Singapore's experience, and the implications here for attempting to relax restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

wakka12 wrote: »
    Excluding microstates Ireland now has 7th highest level of testing per capita in the world
    Also the 7th highest number of cases per capita though...

The ONS came up with figures of 10% which was widely reported in the UK news this morning. They are compiling data from death certificates which lag behind the hospital stats, although they are trying to improve that

Not sure who the "medical officer" would be and if they have any data to support their suggestion. A lot of people (in all countries) have tendencies to pluck figures out of the air if it suits their position

However I do think there are a lot of people in many countries who are not getting into "official" figures because they were never tested

It was the chief medical officer for England. The UK stopped community testing a month ago and only tests in hospitals.

hilarious

Why hilarious

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »

Yet again, these stats are worthless until all record deaths by the same methods.

Negative Nancy

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

I wonder if there is a possibility that todays higher death total could be caused by some under reporting over the weekend.The figure of 14 on Sunday seemed very low and maybe there is some element of time lag in the daily figures since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Not really, I work in IT and that's a scripting issue therefore an IT issue, someone didn't do the QA properly when running through it

Which is hardly a surprise when something was being set up in a hurry under pressure

Did you watch her explaining the problem? Far from a laughing matter.

You have more of a chance getting killed by a car on your jog than contracting this strain of flu and dying from it.

Thought they had 40-50 across the country

Im not sure,it seems like a healthy amount of people being tested daily so was wondering where that was being carried out.

• Advertisement

You have more of a chance getting killed by a car on your jog than contracting this strain of flu and dying from it.

Sorry, I didn't realise what I was dealing with.

Catch yourself on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Jesus, I hope its not true.

I read something yesterday saying, some people show a rash or hives as symptoms and when I read it, I thought this is looking more and more like a hiv seroconversion.

If it is true, it will probably make a vaccine very hard. A hiv vaccine was being worked on for 40 years and there's no vaccine for hiv.

To think so many governments turned a blind eye to this in the early days and welcomed it on with a herd immunity approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yet again, these stats are worthless until all record deaths by the same methods.
    I said "cases" not "deaths"..

You must lose a lot of money on paddy power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Anywhere I can watch the daily briefings back ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If we have tested 90,000 persons so far, how come only 11,479 have tested positive? What was wrong with the other 78,521 people?

Why is 1 in every 8 people tested turning up negative?

Finally what is the benefit of testing if 1 in 8 persons are not infected and thus are potentially capable of being infected in the future?

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    If we have tested 90,000 persons so far, how come only 11,479 have tested positive? What was wrong with the other 78,521 people?

Finally what is the benefit of testing if 1 in 8 persons are not infected and thus are potentially capable of being infected in the future?

Please read first before posting ðŸ™

I said "cases" not "deaths"..

Still worthless in so far as we are doing substantially more testing than most countries. Testing finds more cases.

You must lose a lot of money on paddy power

Cant gamble on that site where i live.The hysterical media seems to have won over on a lot of you.Your going to need a good dose of courage to leave your front door as soon as this is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Anywhere I can watch the daily briefings back ?

https://www.pscp.tv/rtenews/1vAGRBElgMqGl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

getting hilarious now
    ..... to think we used to laugh at North Korea!

Not the first time I've said this and it won't be the last!

For all their efforts they are getting snapshots from time past.I suppose its all they can do to look like they are on top of this.
    Anyone know the situation in the matter hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A lot would have had regular coughs and colds, chest infections and regular flu and mistaken it for Covid-19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

RIP to the 41 dead. Heart breaking. Thoughts with their familes.

Prayers with the frontliners tonight.

We can beat this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Number updated to match today's report, I have included the total numbers reported today
    I have added the number died in the chart in yellow
    recent cases growth
    12-4-2020 4.8%
    13-4-2020 5.46%
    14-4-2020 5.15%

No Change in number
    509575.PNG

Slow Change
    509576.PNG

Big Drop in numbers
    509577.PNG

if we only grow at the rate of 7.8% this day next month we would have 4,000 deaths
    if you wait till we are overloaded it's too late

I think this site is one of the best sites as it allows you to change and check all the visualization of covid19
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

I'm very worried about Belgium it's growth in deaths is scary as you can see by the second chart

Deaths by country
    509578.PNG

Deaths by Country normalized by country population
    509579.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Very sad to hear of another 41 deaths today.

Listening to the CMO I thought he overstepped the mark when asked about sporting events. He was very unequivocal that nine would be taking place until a vaccine was readily available. Now that may well be his opinion but it's up to the government to make these decisions, not the CMO.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Horrific to think. Very strange. Might go some way in explaining the high viral load affect. If viral load great enough to overcome tcells then downward trajectory. The reactivation stuff in Korea might be so far fetched either. That’s one nasty spike protein.

“The gene behind the fusion function in Sars-CoV-2 was not found in other coronaviruses in human or animals.”

getting hilarious now
    hilarious
    Cant gamble on that site where i live.The hysterical media seems to have won over on a lot of you.Your going to need a good dose of courage to leave your front door as soon as this is over.
    Quit the trolling or I will threadban you

Any questions, PM me

JRant wrote: »

Listening to the CMO I thought he overstepped the mark when asked about sporting events. He was very unequivocal that nine would be taking place until a vaccine was readily available. Now that may well be his opinion but it's up to the government to make these decisions, not the CMO.

WHO said today that sporting events and concerts were unlikely for 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It seems the practice of agency staff maybe working between multiple locations has had diastorous effect

Yes, you are very correct Agency staff tested at a main county hospital, still went to work in another county's CNU the next day. Text message while into their fourth hour of work in the CNU revealed they were positive for Covid 19. Four patients subsequently tested positive following that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

If sporting events are allowed later in the year they will be behind closed doors as Germany is now considering. That kinda goes without saying.

Audiences wont be allowed any where in Europe any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The government have said that they are making decisions based on the CMO recommendations so you're getting it from the horses mouth.

froog wrote: »

He is unhinged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They follow the WHO and they were pretty vocal this morning in saying a social life will have to resume without a vaccine so expect that to change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement