Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Danno wrote: »
    Yes, you are very correct Agency staff tested at a main county hospital, still went to work in another county's CNU the next day. Text message while into their fourth hour of work in the CNU revealed they were positive for Covid 19. Four patients subsequently tested positive following that.
    have they been reported to the authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If sporting events are allowed later in the year they will be behind closed doors as Germany is now considering. That kinda goes without saying.

Audiences wont be allowed any where in Europe any time soon.

That makes sense and in all honesty will probably last for the remainder of this year.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    WHO said today that sporting events and concerts were unlikely for 18 months.

Where did they say this ? Said the opposite on radio 1 this morning

The government have said that they are making decisions based on the CMO recommendations so you're getting it from the horses mouth.

And that's my main gripe with it. He should only be part of the discussion, not the decision maker. Last time I checked he was an unelected individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

JRant wrote: »
    Very sad to hear of another 41 deaths today.

Listening to the CMO I thought he overstepped the mark when asked about sporting events. He was very unequivocal that nine would be taking place until a vaccine was readily available. Now that may well be his opinion but it's up to the government to make these decisions, not the CMO.

Sport well be the last thing to come back. It's a purely pleasure pursuit which has people congregating.

From a virus containment and economic point of view it ticks all the wrong boxes. You might not have liked what he said, but he was being honest.

• Advertisement

Horrific to think. Very strange. Might go some way in explaining the high viral load affect. If viral load great enough to overcome tcells then downward trajectory. The reactivation stuff in Korea might be so far fetched either. That’s one nasty spike protein.

“The gene behind the fusion function in Sars-CoV-2 was not found in other coronaviruses in human or animals.”

What sort of mess has China left the world with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

froog wrote: »

It's always seemed odd to me that Trump is constantly tweeting things like this, it comes off as very childish and I'm amazed it hasn't been nipped in the bud by somebody in the White House at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing.html#test-centre

Does anyone know what the procedure is like,has anyone been tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

Would any poster be able to post a histogram of all deaths that have occurred in Ireland from Covid 19. The daily HSE reporting do give the mean and median age of death, but for me I'd like to see the actual distribution over the age ranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

And that's my main gripe with it. He should only be part of the discussion, not the decision maker. Last time I checked he was an unelected individual.

That can work both ways though. Look at Trump and Fauci for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Now that may well be his opinion but it's up to the government to make these decisions, not the CMO.

Technically it is his decision to make, along with his team.

They report to the government with their opinion.

The government don't have to follow their instructions but they most likely always will. It would be very silly for a government to do the opposite of what they say. If things got crazy bad for not following their guidelines they would never live it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

NDWC wrote: »
    It's always seemed odd to me that Trump is constantly tweeting things like this, it comes off as very childish and I'm amazed it hasn't been nipped in the bud by somebody in the White House at this stage

he surrounds himself with yes men. anyone who doesn't fawn over him with praise constantly is immediately fired. he runs the white house exactly like he runs his company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

froog wrote: »
    he surrounds himself with yes men. anyone who doesn't fawn over him with praise constantly is immediately fired. he runs the white house exactly like he runs his company.

I think the root of the gripe between them was the issue with the "5 ventilators" in the nyc hospital. Thats what the mayor claimed,yet there were 100s of ventilators in storage.So they were trying to make out it was a lack of care from the president above.The mayor was questioned on it.

Very interesting. Here is the corresponding paper in nature for those interested.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41423-020-0424-9

So does this mean we could have a highly infectious HIV like illness on our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing.html#test-centre

Does anyone know what the procedure is like,has anyone been tested?

Hi Rvsmmnps

what questions do you have?
    they have given a good guide to what happens, the first part will be when you get there just window down the windows 1"they will tell you a spot to part, it was not busy when i did mine a few weeks ago just after the updated guidelines. then someone will come out and give you some stuff and ask some questions then 10-15 min later they take the sample.
    then then follow whats given below, they ask you to do your best to not cough when they take the throat swab as they need to be right in front of your face.
    the nose swab is not nice but it's OK, it feels like it's gone too far but that's normal, I would make sure to have cleaned your nose beforehand make life easier

Coyote
    1. Park and remain in your car.
    2. A healthcare worker will approach you.
    3. You'll be given a mask to put on, they will explain to you what will happen, ask you some questions and you'll be taken into the test centre.
    4. You'll be asked to wash your hands properly.
    5. Healthcare staff will take some personal details from you including your phone number. This is so you can be contacted with your results.
    6. You'll be asked to blow your nose into a tissue and bin it in a secure bin.
    7. A healthcare worker will take a sample from inside your mouth and nose using a swab. This will be sent to a lab for testing.
    8. You will then need to drive home and remain in self-isolation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

https://twitter.com/datavizireland/status/1250114533697490946?s=19

https://twitter.com/datavizireland/status/1250114268835577857?s=19

Both good stats again. People need to look beyond the case numbers and actually look at the statistics behind the figures.
    "actually look at the statistics behind the figures"...

Well, there certainly is a positive slant, so to speak, to those graphs.. In actual numbers (taken with thanks from Coyote's spreadsheet), so that the increases aren't being obfuscated in percentages growth on previous days' numbers:

People newly admitted to hospital each day:
    Mar 24 31
    Mar 25 35
    Mar 26 40
    Mar 27 45
    Mar 28 44
    Mar 29 30
    Mar 30 44
    Mar 31 49
    Apr 1 33
    Apr 2 61
    Apr 3 63
    Apr 4 50
    Apr 5 59
    Apr 6 55
    Apr 7 52
    Apr 8 55
    Apr 9 75
    Apr 10 225
    Apr 11 126
    Apr 12 109
    Apr 13 149
    Apr 14 123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

niallo27 wrote: »
    How long before we become completed decentized to the numbers dead. For me its just a number I wait to check every day. Crazy the way it ****s with your head.

https://twitter.com/BBCPM/status/1248649465201819649?s=19

I know what you mean. This might help with that - remembering the dead as more than just statistics. Found it quite moving. Apologies if posted earlier, haven't had time to read through all the posts.

Ficheall wrote: »
    "actually look at the statistics behind the figures"...

Well, there certainly is a positive slant, so to speak, to those graphs.. In actual numbers (taken with thanks from Coyote's spreadsheet), so that the increases aren't being obfuscated in percentages growth on previous days' numbers:

People newly admitted to hospital each day:
    Mar 24 31
    Mar 25 35
    Mar 26 40
    Mar 27 45
    Mar 28 44
    Mar 29 30
    Mar 30 44
    Mar 31 49
    Apr 1 33
    Apr 2 61
    Apr 3 63
    Apr 4 50
    Apr 5 59
    Apr 6 55
    Apr 7 52
    Apr 8 55
    Apr 9 75
    Apr 10 225
    Apr 11 126
    Apr 12 109
    Apr 13 149
    Apr 14 123

Thats the point though the numbers are quite steady especially in ICU. As has been said the lower the percentage increase the more the curve is flattening so its not a positive slant, it is a postive.

Our hosptial system could have been overrun by now, its not.

The point is people are reading way too much into the new case numbers.

• Advertisement

beerguts wrote: »
    Would any poster be able to post a histogram of all deaths that have occurred in Ireland from Covid 19. The daily HSE reporting do give the mean and median age of death, but for me I'd like to see the actual distribution over the age ranges.

Here's the data. Not possible to do median or mean as it is bucketed.
    But histogram possible.

509590.png

Thats the point though the numbers are quite steady especially in ICU.
    They are increasing quite steadily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Singapore reports 334 new cases and 1 new death.

It still surprises because everyone was use to Singapore having this completely under control and just like that...

I gather primarily Bangladeshi construction workers who live in cramped dormitories. Poor folk.

They are increasing quite steadily.

Do you actually understand how the curve flattens ??

Of course there increasing, the whole point of flattening the curve is that it's not a sudden increase and the cases are pushed out over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I gather primarily Bangladeshi construction workers who live in cramped dormitories. Poor folk.

They depend so much on immigrant labour there. I wonder what the repercussions of this will be

As expected, with the addition of the German figures, we past 10k yesterday. Today an additional 832 were added for a total of 11,479 with 406 deaths (now included in the chart below).

509581.png

The r value is not truly reflective of the current rate of infection due to the German figures, but I decided to leave them in rather than try to figure some way of including them but not disrupting the main model.

509582.png

Also, its difficult now to project correctly where we'll be given the disruption of the German figures to the model. I was going to track these separately to preserve the model, but it'll balance out in a few days once the last of those are accounted for. They need to be included in the overall figures anyway, so it makes more sense to just add them to the regular daily totals.

With that in mind, the projections below should be taken with a grain of salt.

509583.png

The same caveat applies to the projections for the daily reported cases below

509584.png

Finally, I spent a bit more time on the national, county-by-county breakdown, so that is detailed below. The blue bars represent the total cases for each county, with the orange line representing the rate per 10k population. Its also divided by province for whoever it was that mentioned that (sorry, the name escapes me).

509585.png

We are now at 90k tests and according to report, the backlog should be cleared by the weekend meaning we are very close to a 24 hr turnaround for test results. That will be a big step towards easing the lockdown. The big risk will be in easing the lockdown too early. Right now Austria & Denmark are gradually lifting their lockdown's and to be honest, I think its still too early.

In my opinion, in order to return to normality, the following will be needed
    • A max of a 24 hr turnaround for test results. Same-day would be better.
    • Wide scale testing where clustering is difficult or unavoidable e.g. schools
    • Masks to become a requirement
    • Social distancing remains
    • Large scale events still on hold
    • A general acceptance among the population that in order to return to normality, some people are going to die who otherwise would not have if we remained in lockdown.

The easing of restrictions will come sooner or later, but personally I would not like to see it happening until we are comfortably below an r value of 0.95, at least 0.9 but I don't know how feasible that is.

Next update Friday

Do you actually understand how the curve flattens ??

Of course there increasing, the whole point of flattening the curve is that it's not a sudden increase and the cases are pushed out over time.
    I do, yes, thanks. My issue is that visually the graph suggests things are improving much more quickly than they are.

Thats the point though the numbers are quite steady especially in ICU. As has been said the lower the percentage increase the more the curve is flattening so its not a positive slant, it is a postive.

Our hosptial system could have been overrun by now, its not.

Yeah but we are supposed to be flattening the curve. Its going up to the right, it doesn't look very flat. Taking the derivative and saying it's decreasing is the same as say the car is still accelerating but not as quickly as it was accelerating. It is still going faster however?

The positive spin is approaching religious fanaticism. I've no doubt it will slow. I'm just not going to say it is until it has.

509592.png

As expected, with the addition of the German figures, we past 10k yesterday. Today an additional 832 were added for a total of 11,479 with 406 deaths (now included in the chart below).

509581.png

The r value is not truly reflective of the current rate of infection due to the German figures, but I decided to leave them in rather than try to figure some way of including them but not disrupting the main model.

509582.png

Also, its difficult now to project correctly where we'll be given the disruption of the German figures to the model. I was going to track these separately to preserve the model, but it'll balance out in a few days once the last of those are accounted for. They need to be included in the overall figures anyway, so it makes more sense to just add them to the regular daily totals.

With that in mind, the projections below should be taken with a grain of salt.

509583.png

The same caveat applies to the projections for the daily reported cases below

509584.png

Finally, I spent a bit more time on the national, county-by-county breakdown, so that is detailed below. The blue bars represent the total cases for each county, with the orange line representing the rate per 10k population. Its also divided by province for whoever it was that mentioned that (sorry, the name escapes me).

509585.png

We are now at 90k tests and according to report, the backlog should be cleared by the weekend meaning we are very close to a 24 hr turnaround for test results. That will be a big step towards easing the lockdown. The big risk will be in easing the lockdown too early. Right now Austria & Denmark are gradually lifting their lockdown's and to be honest, I think its still too early.

In my opinion, in order to return to normality, the following will be needed
    • A max of a 24 hr turnaround for test results. Same-day would be better.
    • Wide scale testing where clustering is difficult or unavoidable e.g. schools
    • Masks to become a requirement
    • Social distancing remains
    • Large scale events still on hold
    • A general acceptance among the population that in order to return to normality, some people are going to die who otherwise would not have if we remained in lockdown.

The easing of restrictions will come sooner or later, but personally I would not like to see it happening until we are comfortably below an r value of 0.95, at least 0.9 but I don't know how feasible that is.

Next update Friday

Excellent graphs thanks for that.

With the R value personally I would like to see that lower, potentially 0.6 - 0.7 if that was at all possible. 0.6 is the R value in Denmark today when they reopened some shops etc. But if it got to .9 that would be great too given where we started

• Advertisement

So does this mean we could have a highly infectious HIV like illness on our hands.

I don't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

They depend so much on immigrant labour there. I wonder what the repercussions of this will be

They have way better pay over the poor sods in Qatar at least. FIFA just another discredited world body.

By the same token in the 50's in Kilburn a lot of Irish labourers suffered the same conditions and were/are largely forgotten now... those that still live

With the R value personally I would like to see that lower, potentially 0.6 - 0.7 if that was at all possible. 0.6 is the R value in Denmark today when they reopened some shops etc. But if it got to .9 that would be great too given where we started

That's definitely possible. Just subtract 0.2 from the series and the chart should match your expectation. :)

With the R value personally I would like to see that lower
    No sh*t?

Yeah but we are supposed to be flattening the curve. Its going up to the right, it doesn't look very flat. Taking the derivative and saying it's decreasing is the same as say the car is still accelerating but not as quickly as it was accelerating. It is still going faster however?

The positive spin is approaching religious fanaticism. I've no doubt it will slow. I'm just not going to say it is until it has.

509592.png

I presume I'm right in saying this graph includes German numbers ? If I'm not do correct me.

If it does then its completely skewed given the distribution of German results coming on specific days would have been cases from different days.

Again as I've said look at hosptial and ICU numbers, there's no spin there, the growth percentage is lowering and theres a trend there.

We need to see where we are in 2 weeks time. The numbers coming towards the end of this week should hopefully reflect the measures currently in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

509592.png

Hi caveat emptor

you are using a linear scale where the flatting the curve related to a logarithmic scale
    https://study.com/academy/lesson/linear-vs-logarithmic-scales.html
    with linear scale if there is one extra case it goes up so you can never flatten it till it's gone complete

Regards

Coyote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Sport well be the last thing to come back. It's a purely pleasure pursuit which has people congregating.

From a virus containment and economic point of view it ticks all the wrong boxes. You might not have liked what he said, but he was being honest.

Spot ticks the wrong boxes for economic reasons???
    Premier league soccer is contributes about 3.3 billion to the English economy.

Horse racing in Ireland is contributes 1.7 billion to the economy.
    Gaa fixtures generate 220 million a year towards the Irish economy.
    I could go on .
    Sports will continue, behind closed doors more than likely ,economically they will continue .

No sh*t?

Take one sentence from a full statement why do you.

If you cant understand why someone would want a lower R value that 0.9 I'd worry for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The r value is an estimate . You act like the 0.6 R is a definite number in Denmark. An RO below one and you can eradicate the disease btw. Their is no exact science to this tho. Just a number that helps with models and gives some indication of how infectious the disease is.

As Plato himself would have said.. "we're fu*ked".

I presume I'm right in saying this graph includes German numbers ? If I'm not do correct me.

If it does then its completely skewed given the distribution of German results coming on specific days would have been cases from different days.

Again as I've said look at hosptial and ICU numbers, there's no spin there, the growth percentage is lowering and theres a trend there.

Here's the link. I don't know. Total cases is 9484 as of 13th April 2020 at 9:30 am. It's cases. I wouldn't underestimate the lag effect of this disease. It's a leading indicator. Could be skewed if level of testing higher. We don't have daily break down of tests WITH results to know that.
    • Cases become cases before they go to hospital.
    • They go to hospital before they go to ICU
    • They generally go to ICU before they die. (although this is not true for the majority of our deaths)

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/COVID-19%20Epidemiology%20report%20for%20NPHET%2013.04.2020%20_website.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

fritzelly wrote: »
    if(test==positive){
    send positive_message
    }
    elseif(test==negative){
    send negative_message
    }else{
    send positive_message
    }

Ha ha. Very good. I think negative was the default so code was probably more like.

if(test==positive){
    send positive_message
    }else{
    send negative _message
    }

The Irish extracts probably didn't allow for a third value so code above is somewhat forgivable. Once extracts started coming from Germany with three possible results (positive, negative, invalid) the sh_IT hit the fan.

Classic IT glitch really.

wadacrack wrote: »
    The r value is an estimate . You act like the 0.6 R is a definite number in Denmark. An RO below one and you can eradicate the disease btw. Their is no exact science to this tho. Just a number that helps with models and gives some indication of how infectious the disease is.

Yes I understand that and in Denmark the R was around 0.6, I should have stated that more clearly apologies.
    They expect it to go to 0.8 or there abouts with restrictions being gradually lifted. It'll be helpful in modeling where we could end up if we copied the phased restart for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1250127433820405770

People now suggesting Boris was in hiding, playing the victim.

Take one sentence from a full statement why do you.

If you cant understand why someone would want a lower R value that 0.9 I'd worry for you
    My point was that it's blindingly obvious that we want a lower R value. What you were suggesting with your "personally", I can't quite fathom..

shocksy wrote: »
    Technically it is his decision to make, along with his team.

They report to the government with their opinion.

The government don't have to follow their instructions but they most likely always will. It would be very silly for a government to do the opposite of what they say. If things got crazy bad for not following their guidelines they would never live it down.

I don't want to get into a back and forth on this but it really isn't his or his teams decision to make.

The government need to find a balance between their advise (which seems to be continue the lockdown until a vaccine is found) and economic advisors so people actually have a working economy to return to.

I don't envy the government having to make that call because there really is no right answer on this one but they will have to make some sort of a call sooner rather than later.

My point was that it's blindingly obvious that we want a lower R value. What you were suggesting with your "personally", I can't quite fathom..

To start lifting restrictions based off other countries where r was around 0.6 I would like to see done here where r is of a similar value so we can try and see where we might stand further down the line. Last thing anyone wants is restrictions being lifted too soon and R going back up again to unsustainable numbers that would see the health service struggle.
    Is that ok for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/14/state-department-cables-warned-safety-issues-wuhan-lab-studying-bat-coronaviruses/

There were warnings from US cables from China that the security measures at the Wuhan lab were not what they should be.
    The Chinese were studying bat coronaviruses to understand them better and to try and prevent a future pandemic.
    It was know the lab was a risk but nothing was done to make it far more secure.
    Inside the Trump administration, many national security officials have long suspected either the WIV or the Wuhan Center for Disease Control and Prevention lab was the source of the novel coronavirus outbreak. According to the New York Times, the intelligence community has provided no evidence to confirm this. But one senior administration official told me that the cables provide one more piece of evidence to support the possibility that the pandemic is the result of a lab accident in Wuhan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wombatman wrote: »
    Ha ha. Very good. I think negative was the default so code was probably more like.

if(test==positive){
    send positive_message
    }}else{
    send negative _message
    }

The Irish extracts probably didn't allow for a third value so code above is somewhat forgivable. Once extracts started coming from Germany with three possible results (positive, negative, invalid) the sh_IT hit the fan.

Classic IT glitch really.
    The script was tested, according to the briefing tonight, and that 3rd variable was not expected.
    I know they were under pressure getting the script into production, but they should have added that for anything other than the two expected results, "send review_message". A flag should have resulted.
    I know ..... hindsight.

Edit: Why the extra bracket? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

beerguts wrote: »

They don't release specific ages only age ranges so I'm not sure if it would be of any use as you could have a 34 year old and a 35 year old but would be in 2 separate brackets.
    If you want one based on the age ranges I can throw one up.

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/14/state-department-cables-warned-safety-issues-wuhan-lab-studying-bat-coronaviruses/

There were warnings from US cables from China that the security measures at the Wuhan lab were not what they should be.
    The Chinese were studying bat coronaviruses to understand them better and to try and prevent a future pandemic.
    It was know the lab was a risk but nothing was done to make it far more secure.

This is propaganda....the virus contains a 2nd genetic componant,

Some animal ate an infected bat and was then eaten by a human,the only place this was likely to occur was a food market there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement