Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

The FDA is a board that reviews a medical treatment, and determines if it is safe for administration. They have determined that the evidence for the plasma is equivocal. Hence, they have yet to approve its use in patients. We will have to do proper clinical trials in patients before we know for sure its role. It is only an experimental treatment. A clinical trial has various steps: pre-clinical (you look at a medical therapy in animals, and determine it safe and effective). Phase I (you give it to healthy volunteers- you don’t want to test an experimental therapy on the sickest patients, their bodies are already compromised). Phase 2 (you want to test it on a small group of patients with the disease, to see if it’s effective and safe). Phase 3 (you want to test it on a large group of patients to see if it is effective and safe). We will have to get the plasma through these trials, before we know a) if it is actually effective and b) if it safe. I know that people might feel, sure what have we to lose. But until we know it’s effective and safe, we should not roll out to people.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'll just say that the EU guidance says 'empirical evidence also indicates that associated risks are very low. In fact, the procedure is a standard plasma transfusion, where the plasma meets all criteria for safety.'

I think it's being treated as a blood transfusion (and for compassionate use for the sickest) rather than being a new drug/treatment, which of course needs to go through all of the phases (apart from for emergency/compassionate use authorisation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

owlbethere wrote: »
    The best news so far is NASA telling us of an asteroid approaching Earth and from what they can see, it won't collide with Earth.

To be honest I'd probably take an asteroid wiping us all out in 5 seconds instead of the stress of this and the 2-3 years of absolute shíte we have ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yes agreed it has been a bad year for news.

One tiny tiny positive in all this is that air quality has improved with lower co2 emissions. That is one thing in all this I would keep.

But yeah, other than that I am clutching at straws.

Less rubbish around as well, but lots more dog sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

The ICU numbers are totally dependent on the triage metrics applied in deciding who is being admitted there.

Triage hasn't been impacted yet and those metrics haven't changed. Nothing abnormal going on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Well yeah it is until maybe June July time but The bigger story could be the recovery in second part of the year I choose to be optimistic.

I would like to think the story of the year would be Leo Varadkar's Masterstroke leading Ireland out of this epidemic in sunny May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Are those figures all per head of population?

They are all reported figures from the HSE. The population figure and the comparisons are from Worldometers.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

All the above are the reason why our children will have a future.

I cry when i think of the sacrafice they are making.

Get a room the pair of ye.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

The IMF told the truth today

Very few comments on here about it

It's a total disaster

RTE leading with positive spin on it

"IMF: Irish economy set to return to growth next year"

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0414/1130427-imf-expects-world-economy-to-shrink-by-3-this-year/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Conorregan88

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I think it's certainly passed the Gareth Brookes fiasco a few years back

Speak for yourself man, I'm still not over that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

LOL. I thought you were joking so I popped over for a look and lo and behold, a playmobil mask. I would prefer a lego mask myself.

no worries ...they don't ship to Ireland anyway (yet) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

To be honest I'd take an asteroid wiping us all out in 5 seconds instead of the stress of this and the 2-3 years of absolute shíte we have ahead

Yep. Same reason I'd prefer a colossal car crash instead of a complete engine failure in a plane at 30,000 ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Sorry to bang on about it, but from the European Commission:

Convalescent plasma transfusions can be made available in the short term through the existing organisational capacities in the public/NGO blood services in the EU Member States. In more than half of EU Member States, blood services are preparing for collection. In some EU Member States the collection and supply has already started . The extensive potential donor pool, recovered COVID-19 patients, seems highly motivated to donate and help fellow citizens.

This possible therapy is also of high interest across the world, and in the US FDA is already approving individual applications for use of convalescent plasma for specific patients and is working with the American Red Cross blood centres and the Mayo Clinic to support an ‘expanded access’ programme.

https://ec.europa.eu/health/blood_tissues_organs/covid-19_en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Are those figures all per head of population?

Still makes no difference and they're comparing apples and oranges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

To be honest I'd take an asteroid wiping us all out in 5 seconds instead of the stress of this and the 2-3 years of absolute shíte we have ahead

Make sure that you limit the time spent reading about all of this. The media has a way of making everything seem catastrophic. Things will be tough. But don’t underestimate the funny way life has of working out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I started reading this and and I saw zoos and I thought for a moment it was going to tell us of a situation of animals in the zoo being diagnosed with the virus.

Its sad news reading of financial problems with zoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

Trump is entertaining to watch just in general. I find him comedic......last night very funny when he stood up like a teacher showing off a video of how great he was.He totally ignored the month of February though.....it was just hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder where frogs are on the list:eek:

:eek:

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I started reading this and and I saw zoos and I thought for a moment it was going to tell us of a situation of animals in the zoo being diagnosed with the virus.

Its sad news reading of financial problems with zoos.

No they are killing them first for financial reasons it seems.

Would be hilarious if when Trump finally arrives all the reporters stand up and leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/14/coronavirus-live-news-cases-worldwide-near-2-million-trump-repeats-who-funding-threat-latest-updates

In Germany, local media are reporting that zoos are making contingency plans, including killing some of the animals, should the lockdown continue without a solution to their financial troubles.

Neumünster Zoo’s director has told Die Welt they have “listed the animals we will have to slaughter first” and said some may even have to be fed to others. But even such drastic plans would not be sufficient to solve the problem.

Verena Kaspari told the paper the step would be a last resort and “unpleasant”. She referred to the plight of the piscivorous animals and added: “If it comes to it, I’ll have to euthanise animals, rather than let them starve.”

:(

Surely, rather than just slaughtering them, they could serve them up as food for the poor. What harm could come of eating some exotic animals, eh?

peasant wrote: »
    no worries ...they don't ship to Ireland anyway (yet) :D

I went through this quickly. It looks as if they might deliver from the German site:

https://www.playmobil.de/online-shop/maske

Edit: use Google chrome for page translation if you don't have german

Is this comedian coming out or what?

We need a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?

We used to have to scroll scroll scroll on this site to find Ireland, but now we're right there. Every day we've climbed that list .

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Without speculation there would be no discussion. Nobody knows what's going to happen. This speculation is as valid as saying we'll be back to normal next September.

Yeah, but we're on a message board. It's the way they take one mooted scenario, put it in the headline and lend it an air of doom/ominousness that it doesn't yet warrant that bothers me.

No they are killing them first for financial reasons it seems.

Why would they do that? I know financial difficulties. Can they not ship the animals to neighbouring zoos around Europe?

I saw something online where someone could but a voucher now to spend later to continue to support your local/favourite business. Could they go down that route?

If a German zoo is struggling, how are other zoos around Europe and also here at home?

We used to have to scroll scroll scroll on this site to find Ireland, but now we're right there. Every day we've climbed that list .

We're beating dem Swedes, that's the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I went through this quickly. It looks as if they might deliver from the German site:

https://www.playmobil.de/online-shop/maske

Edit: use Google chrome for page translation if you don't have german

I do and they don't :D

have German / ship to IRL (even though its on the list of countries the order doesn't go through)

I guess you are psychic if you can tell what is going on in my mind... useful skill that !

17th in the world for deaths = 406 very unfortunate people RIP
    20th in the world for cases = 11,479 unfortunate people
    124th in the world for population = 4,937,786 people
    18th in the world for testing = 18,358/million pop (top 10 for testing if micro states are excluded)

The idea 104 countries above us in population are all being dishonest with their figures seems far fetched to me.

Likewise the idea that it is not possible to compare countries based on the figures provided by Worldometer is head in the sand stuff.

And I still think it still takes some spinning to put a positive gloss on the shocking figures above.

You are making a few mistakes in your assessment
    1. Its VERY VERY early days yet. By the time this is all over, those ranks will be very, very different.
    2. You are not comparing like with like. What I mean is, day #1/death #1 is different for each country, so all are at different points in the timeline.
    3. Simply filter the column headers in the fantastic worldometers site does not tell a story beyond "here is the ranking according to that column header". Be careful with that as it literally tells you nothing more than that. There are caveats upon caveats upon caveats with data around covid-19.
    4. As you point out, we are top 10 for testing per million pop, therefore we are finding more cases, therefore we have more cases(20th) and all deaths caused by it are being recorded as such, therefore we have more deaths recorded(17th). Seems silly to have to point that one out, but you are spinning it as a negative when it is far, FAR from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Trump is entertaining to watch just in general. I find him comedic......last night very funny when he stood up like a teacher showing off a video of how great he was.He totally ignored the month of February though.....it was just hilarious

It was pure gold in these odd times. Usual crew will be along now giving out about the thread being derailed by Trump talk which is not the case as Trump actually happens to be one of the key players in the fight against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We're beating dem Swedes, that's the main thing.

We're now a Top 20 Hit that is getting more popular by the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Coumo: King Trump��

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

This is my first time tuning intoTrump live after last night. What time does it usually kick off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Increase in testing has really helped us to climb. Need to keep testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It was pure gold in these odd times. Usual crew will be along now giving out about the thread being derailed by Trump talk which is not the case as Trump actually happens to be one of the key players in the fight against.

This thread is being derailed by Trump talk. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Why would they do that? I know financial difficulties. Can they not ship the animals to neighbouring zoos around Europe?

I saw something online where someone could but a voucher now to spend later to continue to support your local/favourite business. Could they go down that route?

If a German zoo is struggling, how are other zoos around Europe and also here at home?

On the upside, people will get to eat exotic animals...

This is my first time tuning intoTrump live after last night. What time does it usually kick off?

When the journalists have bum cramp.

Whenever he can be bothered to turn up

It varies but he's late tonight

Probably out the back pulling the stomach off himself or eating a steak. Or maybe both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

joe_99 wrote: »
    Triage hasn't been impacted yet and those metrics haven't changed. Nothing abnormal going on now.

A form of triage in deciding who is admitted to ICU has been going on for years. ICU has little to offer for some with co-morbidities or those with little hope of recovery.

Different countries have different ideas on who should be admitted to ICU, based on a variety of considerations including how scarce of a resource it is in that country. For instance 1 in 5 people who die in the USA do so in ICU.

http://eknygos.lsmuni.lt/springer/489/Part%2019/5%20item.pdf

Ignoring the figures produced by Worldometers and suggesting that ICU figures are more accurate is therefore nonsense.

Our death and cases numbers compared to other countries are terrible and there is no getting away from that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I am a non-consultant hospital doctor (NCHD). I am on a training scheme to become a consultant. I have completed several years. So, I obviously don’t have the same years experience as the AMA poster.

The consultant seemed bang on in his/her assessment of a lot of things, but admittedly, I haven’t had a chance to read it all.

I get angry when people bang on about the HSE. Sure it’s not perfect, but it is not bad by any stretch! Certain people speak about it with such authority. Yet, these people have not worked in it. They have no experience of foreign health-services. They do not understand how complex the health situation is in all western countries (ageing demographic, more medical comorbidities, increased expectations for treatments for all people). I will be glad to continue my training for consultancy here. And hopefully, when I complete my training, I will be a consultant here. People vote with their feet. I am staying put. The HSE is decent.

I am talking with doctor-friends in other countries. I think that we are doing well in comparison. The management seem to genuinely want to help us. In other countries, the doctors are given one mask per week. In the hospital where I work, we have all the PPE that we need when we are in at-risk situations.

Thanks for the work you and all the other frontline healthcare workers and HSE support staff are doing at what must be a very difficult and stressful time for all.

And thanks also to you, 'Nonoperational', 'Anita Blow', 'Pseudonym' and all the other healthcare workers for your contributions on here. They are really informative insights into how this virus is impacting patients and the healthcare system. Still hard to believe how quickly all this has happened, but it's very reassuring to hear from the "frontline", how well the system is managing, in spite of all the challenges.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Fight against?

Make sure that you limit the time spent reading about all of this. The media has a way of making everything seem catastrophic. Things will be tough. But don’t underestimate the funny way life has of working out.

Super post. Thanks

Fight against?

Fake News obviously :D

Our death and cases numbers compared to other countries are terrible and there is no getting away from that fact.

We can fix that by testing less, is that what you are suggesting?

Or what is your suggested solution?

• Advertisement

When the journalists have bum cramp.

Starting to happen

On the upside, people will get to eat exotic animals...

That's very bold to suggest such a thing. The Germans are not Chinese.

CNN said it's outside today so they can take the mics away in quick order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

trump is such a petty pathetic ghoul, you just know he is showing up late as some kind of imagined power move against the press.

Trump is the Axel Rose of politicians

This purposeful delay is hilarious

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement