Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Americans seem completely unphased by the huge loss of life. It's a strange country.

It's so big and there's 320 million people so it's better to think of it in terms of separate States

In this way people in - for example - Delaware think "we're doing ok"

Think of Ireland in terms of a state in the EU. We're not doing great, but we're not italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Trumps opening up goes badly, and leads to a widespread spreading of Covid he'll pay a huge price at the ballot box, it's a high stakes game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

KiKi III wrote: »
    US side effects of coronavirus to date:

- Successfully united the Democratic Party which is no mean feat

- Alienated the US Navy

And the eh massive loss of life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

He wants to open by May 1st... Jesus Christ.

Second wave of the virus guaranteed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

If Trumps opening up goes badly, and leads to a widespread spreading of Covid he'll pay a huge price at the ballot box, it's a high stakes game.

Govemors will be held accountable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strazdas wrote: »
    They definitely messed up in January and it's generally recognised they did but their experts have done a lot of good work in recent weeks.

My attacks on the WHO are primarily targetted at one single person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

EVWdBPXWsAMHJli?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm confused.
    China had several thousand fatalities. If this was them downplaying it doesn't that mean you should have known it was fcking serious?

Americans seem completely unphased by the huge loss of life. It's a strange country.

Not the case with the Americans that I work with from talking to them, but it's a strange country with a lot of I'm alright so fu*k you types alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Think Fauci is missing

His approval ratings are fine and America is so materialistic and individualistic that they seem not too concerned about the huge loss of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

khalessi wrote: »
    Govemors will be held accountable

They could end up with 45 Sweden's on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

I have the best ventilators, you're not gonna believe how great they are they're tremendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Nope, he will blame someone else if it goes badly and praise himself if it doesn’t. Either way his supporters will believe him whatever he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hurrache wrote: »
    And they'll receive less cooperation and more secrecy if they followed your method. It's basic diplomacy.

China wasn't even counting asymptomatic people.
    WHO asked them to include, they did, next day they stopped.
    There could be millions infected in Wuhan alone but we will never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Has any other developed nation buried it's citizens in mass graves during this crisis?

Yes, Iran, but developed is questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,525 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Raytheon, there's a company to set your watch to.

name checking his buddies now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I'm thankful Leo doesn't talk or speak like this or address the nation with such foul. All trump wants to do is open the economy and get the place booming. Economy, economy, economy is all he's about.

I see the importance of a functioning economy but still there's so much uncertainty about health and mortality, and troubles ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They could end up with 45 Sweden's on their hands

52 Iran's more like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

easypazz wrote: »
    Reopen before May 1st for about 20 states!!!

Big call.
    He wants to open by May 1st... Jesus Christ.

It's to stop the stock market from falling off a cliff. It's all spin

On April 30th or so he'll say that this "had to be re-assessed and we are now looking at June 1st and are confident we can do this"

Politics is theatre by a different name. American politics is, for want of a better word, king of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The monotone reading of the prepared statement is like what you would hear from a 12 year old.

His ad libs are singsong and hilarious.

Ann and Barry went to the shop

Ann likes cake

Barry likes Jam

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm thankful Leo doesn't talk or speak like this or address the nation with such foul. All trump wants to do is open the economy and get the place booming. Economy, economy, economy is all he's about.

I see the importance of a functioning economy but still there's so much uncertainty about health and mortality, and troubles ahead.

Leo has his script writers to quote Heaney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I keep reading here to watch the ICU numbers, and how many ventilators we have available,
    Trump provides more ICU beds per capita and says he will help other countries with this and he's the devil incarnate.
    I keep reading about scaremongering surrounding reopening dates, we need to be positive about the economy and support our business
    Trump is positive about the bounce back, about business..he's the devil incarnate.
    I'm reading about China and WHO...Trump calls them out...he's EVIL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Nope, he will blame someone else if it goes badly and praise himself if it doesn’t. Either way his supporters will believe him whatever he says.

Everybody has a tipping point.

Nixon had widespread support right up until he didn’t.

Some diehard supporters will remain with Trump until the end, but it’s hard to see how moderate Republicans and even traditional Conservatives will continue supporting him as their communities are ravaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

March 26th
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/coronavirus-dublin-accommodation-sourced-for-homeless-people-1.4212875

More than 650 apartments, hotel rooms and single-occupancy rooms have been sourced across Dublin for homeless people, and all emergency accommodation will stay open 24 hours a day during the coronavirus outbreak.

That's great. But they are getting paid by the government for the use of the hotels and apartments I presume? Hotels here would have to open the rooms to use for free, which just isn't going to happen

Product placement ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

What the **** is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Hope someone asks him to repeat the list

Ford and GM haven;t made a single ventilator....all window dressing ...

• Advertisement
    M

Seriously what's the point in the name checking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Ya know Leo may have given us Seamus Heaney, but at least he was literate and not giving a shout to his business mates

Product placement ffs

It would put one to sleep, it is the equivalent of sheep counting.

This is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Akrasia wrote: »
    The rest of the world will step up as the USA slides further down the road of becoming a political and economic pariah

So what will change then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

fritzelly wrote: »

Hardly WHOs fault is it. But Trump said they did a great job, and you said Trump is right on this.

Ya know Leo may have given us Seamus Heaney, but at least he was literate and not giving a shout to his business mates

Leo just rings the Chinese PM to thank him for the stuff we paid for and 10% of it unsuitable for what it was bought for.

Will tayto get a call out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Did he mention Durex? then again he was not a fan of their products....

• Advertisement
    M

I guess Huawei won't get a mention :pac:

Everyone gets a name check.....I'm being to think Jim Corr is right.... the 7ft lizards are in control.....

(even waffle house ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

I think that USA will become just America, I don't think the States will be United for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

This reminds me of the Litany that used to be done in church. I’m tempted to say “Pray for us” after each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    That's great. But they are getting paid by the government for the use of the hotels and apartments I presume? Hotels here would have to open the rooms to use for free, which just isn't going to happen

I think the point is about the government, as well as a general sense of social cohesion that's not as apparent in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Look I don't like China but even then there are limits.
    Their initial PCR tests had a false negative of about 30%. So they were largely relying on lung images to make formal diagnosis. You can't just x-ray your entire population when the health service is bursting at the seems in a pandemic.
    If China was the most transparent society on earth they'd never be able to report the actual number of infected accurately. They were caught completely in the initial outbreak. Testing, resources, diagnostics are extremely limited.

• Advertisement

One wonders if Americans spoke Dutch, would we even be taking notice of these press conferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Has any other developed nation buried it's citizens in mass graves during this crisis?

Spain and Italy just let thousands of elderly die alone and with no help in nurshing homes,not even any morphine to ease the pain, and their deaths not even reported. Yeh way better than USA

USA is not dealing with this crisis any worse than the rest of the Western world

The UFC

and WWE

ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

That is contradictory to their name World Health Organisation - not worrying about saying something to upset a country. Even the virus name - MERS, SARS... but now we have a new naming system to remove country racial profiling of it's origin. (edit just on this - all infections in China are now imported - think about that, the virus is coming from somewhere else...)
    They should be thinking about protecting all humans regardless of who they upset.
    How is that contradictory? WHO can't protect the world if they aren't being granted access to the infected areas, wherever they may be.

As I said, it's a balancing act. They are a severely underfunded organisation that have to go to some of the most unhospitable places on earth to track deadly diseases and you are worried about what they call them? I think WHO have bigger concerns to be honest.

M

PDC Darts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement