Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Your patriotism notwithstanding, if your only goal was to live through this pandemic, US or Ireland?

I could survive this in either country.

The real question is what will both countries look like, after the bell tolls on this... which will be a country actually worth living in?

We're also locked into the EU, with at least 2 countries in Spain and Italy that were near economic basket cases before this began...

The German finance minister committed suicide, apparently because of deep worries over the state that this will leave the EU in.

So yeah, if I had to hitch my wagon to any federation right now... and I leave patriotism out of the equation, I'd probably take my chances with the good old USofA. Looks like the safer bet right now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Tea Shock wrote: »
    I look forward to your non-complaining when you're personally paying for your own police, fire brigade, nursing/doctoring, teaching, infrastructure etc services on demand.

They won't exist under your man's new world. Put the fire out yourself, there are no laws so no police. There won't be any health system because there won't be any taxes to pay for it. No schools either.
    .I won't be paying for anything because I won't have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I could survive this in either country.

The real question is what will both countries look like, after the bell tolls on this... which will be a country actually worth living in?

We're also locked into the EU, with at least 2 countries in Spain and Italy that were near economic basket cases before this began...

The German finance minister committed suicide, apparently because of deep worries over the state that this will leave the EU in.

So yeah, if I had to hitch my wagon to any federation right now... and I leave patriotism out of the equation, I'd probably take my chances with the good old USofA. Looks like the safer bet right now!

It wasnt the top finance minister. I think he was a finance minister for one of the 16 regions

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wombatman wrote: »
    Do an adjustment for the German backlog and include the rest in daily. There should really be no backlog from today.

Why in the hell does it matter where the bloody lab is?

The swabs as shipped to Germany, hopfully each day. The results should be available after a couple of days.

What ever German completed and confirmed figures they have at the end of the day, should be included with the Irish lab figures.

Totally agree. This shows why following stats sights and sticking rigidly to official statistics is relatively unreliable. Yes they are interesting for information but it’s incomplete information.

If you can only test 100 people , your rate of infected will rise slower and never go above this figure. The more you can test the more accurate the information. If we are testing more I would be actually trying to include them on daily figures but actually adding them to the day the person went for the test. They don’t have to do this publically but knowing when people went for the test Is more relevant then announcing a person is infected weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Do an adjustment for the German backlog and include the rest in daily. There should really be no backlog from today.

The swabs as shipped to Germany, hopfully each day. The results should be available after a couple of days.

What ever German completed and confirmed figures they have at the end of the day, should be included with the Irish lab figures.

Not if they are older "backlog" 3 week old tests, which would make them just history.

The daily updates reported need to be the most recent 2-7 days to be of any use in measuring the rate of spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭blackcard

Have I this right?

1) Tony Holohan will give results later today 11/04/20 of all the test results from Irish laboratories up to 12 noon on 10/04/20. Total A.

He will also reveal the number of deaths up to 12 noon on 10/04/20. He will go on to give details about the deaths e.g. males/females, median age, underlying conditions, etc.

2) He will also reveal the amount of positive results from tests that were analyzed by German laboratories. These are added to the total A to give Total B, the total for all laboratories up to 12 noon on 10/4/20. These results are from older tests and if included in the headline figure could give the impression that there was suddenly a huge increase in the number of positive tests.

3) He will also refer to the total number of positive results from Irish laboratories for the period 12 noon on 10/04/20 to 12 noon on 11/4/20. This figure is added to Total A to give Total C, the up to date total.

The HSE has not had time to collate the data relating to this last 24 hour period but will include this when reporting tomorrow 12/04/20

Not sure if 3) above is correct and if we are a day behind in reporting of deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

One set of figures each day including the German daily results. Stop the confusion and headlines like this.

https://amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/confusion-at-number-of-coronavirus-cases-in-ireland-as-officials-give-three-different-figures-993487.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

But the ones gone to Germany aren't current ones.
    They are the back log that existed weeks ago.. they are tests dating back to St Patricks day..... as said by the CMO yesterday.
    So to include these in the daily totals would give a completely inaccurate look for the up to date results are they are old tests.
    They are included in the overall totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52239183
    Concerns have been raised by a senior official in the NHS that children with illnesses unrelated to Covid-19 are going to hospital too late and coming to harm as a result, a leaked email seen by BBC Newsnight says.

The possible reasons for the late presentation include general advice given about Covid-19; patient access to NHS 111, and parental concern about bringing children to hospital during the coronavirus pandemic.

The comments by the National Clinical Director for Children and Young People in NHS England emerged on the same day as figures showed A&E attendance numbers in England were down 29% from the same time last year.

NHS England and the Department for Health and Social Care said people should always come forward for urgent care.

They added that parents with serious concerns about the health of their child should use the online NHS 111 service or call 999 for an emergency.

The email, dated 31 March, detailed several cases from one part of the UK. The children described were aged from 10 years old down to just six months.

In one case, a mother reported that she was waiting to be spoken to on NHS 111 for more than 60 minutes while her child "arrested" - medical terminology for the heart or breathing stopping. The child subsequently died.

In another case referred to in the email, a mother says she was told the ambulance service was too busy whilst her child was "semi conscious and vomiting".

And another set of parents were reported not to have taken their unwell child to hospital for five days as they believed there was "risk in hospitals of Covid-19". The child also died.

The email made it clear that this evidence was ultimately anecdotal.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

One set of figures each day including the German daily results. Stop the confusion and headlines like this.

https://amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/confusion-at-number-of-coronavirus-cases-in-ireland-as-officials-give-three-different-figures-993487.html

Only recent tests, 2-7 days should be reported in the daily updates, any older results are of no use in measuring the current rate of spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

US2 wrote: »

Keep those ferrys and planes coming tho, shur it's only irish people coming home, as if they cant be infected because they are irish.

Women waiting 12+ months for cervical cancer tests, and after 12 months waiting told they need to be tested again !

how can you believe this guys figures.

I never got the adoration for Tony from users here, it can only be people were not aware of his history and also they seek reassurance during a crisis. All his updates are heavily politicised, so there will be sins of omission from him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

He says there is NOBODY in Ireland waiting to be tested
    That's in huge part because the criteria to qualify for testing is incredibly strict. You either have to be a HCP or have a particular underlying condition and display 2 out of 3 particular symptoms. That's it. Now if we don't have the capacity to test everyone who may be displaying symptoms or has been in contact with a confirmed case it's essential to prioritise in that way. But trying to spin it that no-one is waiting as if it's because we are so on top of things is total BS. We aren't on top of things, we're lagging behind because it's a sudden global crisis that we weren't prepared for and there are global shortages of things we need. Fine, I think most people understand that. So be honest, don't pretend we're doing fantastically when we're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

De Gascun has also told RTE News that if he did indeed make comments that have been attributed to him in mid-March, that 15,000 Covid-19 tests could be carried out a day "within days", then he misspoke.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0410/1129911-reagent-supplier/ anyone know where exactly he said that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fits wrote: »
    I don’t know honestly. But it appears to match those reports of people dropping in the streets in China.. Unfortunately at this stage of pandemic we don’t have much more to go on than anecdotes.
    Those "reports" were bogus at best with zero background of the people involved, even the timing. Before the coronavirus if you were to look at a city like Wuhan with what 11 million people? You will have had thousands of heart attacks and deaths every day from all sorts of causes, natural and unnatural. Now add in that everybody has a smart phone with a camera attached to witness people collapsing on the street from god knows what. All those "reports" can tell you is that someone collapsed on the street at some time or other. Could have been a heart attack from the usual reasons, could have been a fit, could have been drunkeness, could have been a fall and a crack on the head, etc.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

coastwatch wrote: »
    Only recent tests, 2-7 days should be reported in the daily updates, any older results are of no use in measuring the current rate of spread.

Many of the tests coming through the Irish labs were from older cases too. France did a major adjustment, China did too. We can adjust for the German backlog if necessary. Total figures give and idea of the level of infection. Including them is better than maintaining two sets of figures.

There should be little or no backlog now. Include German figures daily. Otherwise our daily figures should be considered incomplete awaiting further results.

Akabusi wrote: »
    It wasnt the top finance minister. I think he was a finance minister for one of the 16 regions

He was considered one of their top finance ministers, responsible for the hesse state which is where Frankfurt - germany's financial capital - is located.

He was being tipped to take over from another minister higher up in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wibbs wrote: »
    Those "reports" were bogus at best with zero background of the people involved, even the timing. Before the coronavirus if you were to look at a city like Wuhan with what 11 million people? You will have had thousands of heart attacks and deaths every day from all sorts of causes, natural and unnatural. Now add in that everybody has a smart phone with a camera attached to witness people collapsing on the street from god knows what. All those "reports" can tell you is that someone collapsed on the street at some time or other. Could have been a heart attack from the usual reasons, could have been a fit, could have been drunkeness, could have been a fall and a crack on the head, etc.

I don’t disagree. Time will tell.

Did we ever get a number on how many swabs, from the initial sampling drive, have expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I totally agree with being specific about the daily numbers confirmed in Ireland and then also the daily numbers confirmed from Germany however some of the numbers reported daily in Ireland could also be classed as historic cases as some of those tests were most likely done weeks ago also , I know people waiting 18+ days for tests results . So I think he totally confused matters and it might have been easier to just state the total number is confirmed cases that day of 80** and then add a note that 10** of those are results returned on that day from Germany but that had been sent over the course of the last 3 weeks , by him mentioning different numbers and reasons for them just confused matters in my opinion..
    coastwatch wrote: »
    Wrong.
    They older test results were not deleted, they were added to the total case number, just not included in the daily reports because the daily reports is a measure of how fast the virus is spreading, and 3 weeks old test results dont tell anything about the current rate of spread.

The older test results are just history at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

Great to see Spain and Italy getting over the hump by the seems of things.

How the hell can a country get back to any kind of normality is the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The German results should be included in the daily figures. The German lab just needs to send a simple report each day with the number of test completed and the number of positive cases.

Absolutely no need to wait days to include the German numbers in a separate batch. Confusing and unnecessary.
    The numbers coming back from the German lab are reported every day.
    But people probably just hear the number of new cases diagnosed in Ireland and number of deaths and then tune out.

I try to jot down the figures as Tony says them on my phone. Here are the numbers that were reported the last couple of days. Open to correction as this was just me taking them down.

April 10th
    480 new cases diagnosed in Ireland
    260/216? positive cases from Germany (i wasn't sure if he said 260 or 216)

April 9th
    500 new cases diagnosed in Ireland
    German tests: 3,257 tests, 427 positive, 13% positivity rate

April 8th
    365 new cases diagnosed in Ireland
    German tests: 1,532 tests, 99 positive, 6% positivity rate

April 7th
    345 cases diagnosed in Ireland
    German tests: 20 positive cases from Germany, an 11% positivity rate

April 6th
    370 new cases diagnosed in Ireland
    German tests: 6,129 tests, 468 positive, 7.6% positivity rate

I didn't record any prior to April 6th.

The numbers were there, people just didn't pay attention to them.

They were kept separate because, as others have said, it would give a false look on the current spread of the virus. The number of new cases from Ireland are the ones being reported since the beginning, and that's what people were used to. If you start breaking them down by Irish and German figures people would get completely confused and it would not accurately reflect the current growth in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    I see staff of cavan hospital are asking questions as to how the press can report that 70 staff members have covid 19. They say it's all lies

Nothing worse than fake news.

SO WHAT'S THE TRUTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

People starting to lose confidence in Tony, flat out refuses to say how many are waiting on results, says he doesn't know, but he was quick to know it's not 51000 as was mentioned.

Once people lose confidence they will start to disobey.

Just be transparent that's all anyone wants.

I think the whole way this has been handled is the usual way things are "handled" in Ireland - it started with a general "lookit, tis serious enough like lads but don't lose the heads now, keep on trucking and we'll be grand".

Then we move on to "Ah sure we are only taking these small unprecedented measures to be sure to be sure not because the manure is in any way heading for the national fan. No need to be miserable tho, go see granny in the Nursing home, have a jar, a punt on the gee-gees, no point losing the money shelled out on the ski trip. It's be grand. Wash your hands"

Stage 3 is " For feck sake, didn't we broadly hint dire warnings at ye and give speeches about how grand we'll all be if you just suck up a few more minor inconveniences like having no jobs to go to and where did ye go? The effin pub! Hoards of ye. We're closing those now. It's your own fault. "

"LOOK - our underpaid, badly resources frontline staff are doing trojan work and you mucksavages insult them by going to the beach. Who the actual do you think you are? Didn't we tell you that kind of thing will kill your granny stone dead?!? We would have this completely under control if you would all just stay the f at home and support the drinks industry but no - tis walks in the woods ye want. We're closing the countryside. It's your own fault".

"shut up, you are getting the dole, the banks have pretended to offer some help while making a sliver of a tax free profit that's all you need to know going forward. The economy will be grand. We can borrow magic money acorns at an unprecedented low price going forward and we have the beginning of an inkling of a plan how to form a FGFF government which is what God wants for Ireland going forward"

" It's easy *sigh* if you just pay attention 45218 tests have been done to date up to 23 hundred hours last Tuesday week, going forward we will be doing 32654 tests every day in the soon to come on line new test centres. We have reached an agreement to convert the speed vans into mobile test centres and there will be one in every layby by friday... saturday at the latest. When we add the results of the 96652 tests to the 5666666 German tests we get the square root of Pi which shows how successfully we have been hopping the head off the curve with a hurley. There have been some small issues as there is a global run on tissues but we have placed an additional order with the Chinese for €7 million worth of bog roll and sure the stuff we got last time makes great tracing paper for the contact tracing of the 7 people the 5 people who tested positive shared a luas with 3 weeks ago."

"We don't want to cause any panic because everything is grand but as Seamus Heaney said there's a brah brict moonlicht SURGE coming and the curve is looking a bit sneaky snake as it slithers over a drumlin near YOU but it's better than snakes on a plane and would ye all just put the fecking kettle on the coal fire, stuff your faces with chocolate, do as ye are told, stay inside, wash your hands, facetime granny, and stop asking your betters questions. We've got this under control :mad:. Now let us us give a big bualadh bos to the frontline staff sleeping in their cars and sheds"

What we never get is treated like adults, transparency, lack of spin, or any kind of openness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

He was considered one of their top finance ministers, responsible for the hesse state which is where Frankfurt - germany's financial capital - is located.

He was being tipped to take over from another minister higher up in government.

I don’t really understand how you can take anything from one politician committing suicide.

It’s very sad but seems more like an individual tragedy as opposed to be it being a sign of a response to more severe existential threat on the horizon for Europeans that only that politician understands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭1641

The swabs shipped to Germany are historic. The results are still coming back. The backlog should be cleared by Monday (according to the CMO).

No, it doesn't matter where the lab is. But it does matter whether the swabs are contemporary or historic. The latter would distort the daily tracking trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Many of the tests coming through the Irish labs were from older cases too. France did a major adjustment, China did too. We can adjust for the German backlog if necessary. Total figures give and idea of the level of infection. Including them is better than maintaining two sets of figures.

There should be little or no backlog now. Include German figures daily. Otherwise our daily figures should be considered incomplete awaiting further results.

They are included in the overall total.

Not in the daily reported new cases as they aren't new cases.. old cases only getting results now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Did we ever get a number on how many swabs, from the initial sampling drive, have expired?

None. Swabs can be stored for months if necessary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Wibbs wrote: »
    TL;DR? I'd be waiting a goodly while until all the results, or at least better results, are in before jumping to any conclusions about such long term damage in the vast majority of people who contract this dose.
    I wouldn't be, I would be looking at the fact that the survival rate eventually drops to zero when your organs sustain above a certain amount of damage. This virus attacks them, sometimes until it nearly kills you. Then when you think you're better and you're weakened from the struggle, it potentially comes back and kills you. Better to exercise an abundance of caution and avoid the thing completely. Personally I don't understand how people are willing to go and work in Tesco for fuçkall when there is so little known about this thing.
    This is it wrote: »
    Hur dur
    s1ippy wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/gabrielleigh/2020/04/10/sweden-continues-with-controversial-coronavirus-strategy-is-it-a-big-mistake/amp/

It appears from this article that Ireland are taking a somewhat similar approach to Sweden when it comes to enforcing the guidelines. I don't know how a "caretaker" "government" can be entitled to be making these life and death decisions (for example, not to penalise people who are flouting restrictions) but at least I'm optimistic that if enough of a society is left at the end to have an enquiry, the Covid tribunal will show this dictatorship up for what it is.

Basically Leo hates the poor. He's said it in every other way that you can besides actually coming out and saying it. Before he is kicked off his unelected pedestal (not forgetting that he was Taoiseach and his own constituents didn't even want him there, was it five counts? And he just replaced Enda to be party leader or "president" as he referred to himself today), he seems hell-bent on using this crisis as an opportunity to take out as many people who hate his government as possible.

I'm talking about all the people who are working at the moment, by the way.

Hear me out. If all the upper middle class who think they're too good for the lockdown travel this weekend (and his flimsy warnings against it and totally inadequate deterrents indicated that he didn't really give a sh!t what they do), there will be a huge surge on hospitals in two weeks. Like we are NOT doing well. Was it 65 or 70% of cases are community transmission? So we don't know how they got it.

The next Cheltenham is Easter and isn't it ironic they'll all be dying for Leo's sins like he's some kind of
    edgy biracial sexually enlightened
    Jesus. I hid that because it's probably offensive if you're religious, but it's actually probably the only compliment I can pay the man, his race and sexuality are progressive and his politics are completely medieval.

I just can't wait for him to paraphrase Marie Antoinette later this year when the flour supply chains from Italy inevitably cack it.
    Not one person has given me a valid reason for this post being incorrect but there's a flock of sheep after mashing the thanks button for a pathetic lazy response. Anyone care to indicate one single specific thing in this post, or does hit a bit close to home for a few of you?

Major traffic around Cork City suburbs today. A colleague texted and said the Northside is teeming with small pr!cks going around on bicycles and another buddy told me there's a checkpoint for cars in Crosshaven but the locals seem to be completely oblivious to social distancing etiquette or just not care. People are fully complacent now and taking risks and mark my words, we will pay for it in two weeks because our self-appointed overlord couldn't give a tuppenny fuçk about us.

I never got the adoration for Tony from users here, it can only be people were not aware of his history and also they seek reassurance during a crisis. All his updates are heavily politicised, so there will be sins of omission from him.

He has looked out of his depth during this.

I actually genuinely feel a bit sorry for the guy... very few people would be equipped to deal with this.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and pat him on the back, for the job he's doing!

I think you're right, people want to trust his judgement... because they want to feel reassured and less anxious. But his judgement has been shown to be very poor on numerous occasions now!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don’t really understand how you can take anything from one politician committing suicide.

It’s very sad but seems more like an individual tragedy as opposed to be it being a sign of a response to more severe existential threat on the horizon for Europeans that only that politician understands.

EVLQ5C8VAAAhLLU.png
    It's not one threat, it's a global financial collapse the scale of 100 black Mondays in the American stock market. It's all the pension funds becoming worthless and trillions of hours people spent working going to waste. I bet in six months time, when we have hyperinflated our economies to the point that we have to import rice from China as the only food source, a lot of people are going to wish that they knew about looking after themselves in the most basic of ways... Growing food, making clothes, building, creating. How many wasted lives have there already been, as they metaphorically welded the nursing home doors shut and let people (who may have had a decade left in them) die?

So yeah he probably killed himself because not only had his life been for nothing, the entire structure of the global economy is about to implode, meaning that everyone's lives are for fuçking nothing now if you measure everything in terms of wealth which most sad çunts do.

Turn off the news and build a garden.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement