Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Michael Dwyer

Can't believe we have a couple of Trump defenders on here. At best he's a dangerous fool.

Misguided populism brought him to power. It also brought people like Hitler to power. Trump is an egotistical charlatan in charge of the most powerful military nation on earth. And it appears like he's becoming senile, more erratic to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

eagle eye wrote: »
    Vegas is a horrible place.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

kyote00 wrote: »
    Nearly time for the ONS lady

*OAN
    fritzelly wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Fauci and Birx

Whatever about Fauci, Bird has been drinking the Trump kool aid and has towed the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Blueshoe wrote: »

Dunno why I'm bothering, there's loads of similar factually accurate accounts of what was said from across the spectrum, you'll no doubt use the same excuse because you can't think of anything reasonable.
    You're even arguing against Trump's own words saying it's just leftie liberal propaganda.

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1250201356981415938?s=19[URL][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Trump is totally delusional... a psychiatric case suitable for treatment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Hurrache wrote: »
    Dunno why I'm bothering, there's loads of similar factually accurate accounts of what was said from across the spectrum, you'll no doubt use the same excuse because you can't think of any, you're even arguing against Trump's own words saying it's just leftie liberal propaganda.

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1250201356981415938?s=19[URL][/url]

Extreme left bias. The bias scale doesn't go any higher than extreme

https://mediabiasfactcheck-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/nowthis-news/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=15869067018476&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/nowthis-news/

Il start countering your posts with ones from breitbart

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Why do people need to take sides on this sh*te, China can be 'bad' and US actions can be 'bad.'

Yes China is a dictatorship that has little regard for the truth. But guess what? Viruses don't care about politics and the WHO will have to go to places like China and try to work under those conditions, it can't afford not to for all our sake. By all means, after this the world needs to examine it's relationship with China. De-funding WHO doesn't accomplish this at all. How does it in any way address the problem of China? And Trump will still be happy to have the family name adorned on merchandise produced in China so this is not some moral stand either, it's about flexing US muscles and finding someone else to pin the blame on.

Also, talking about 'China' in terms of the government.CCP stats, scientific research, PPE (faulty or otherwise) from individual factories, or Chinese ex-pats sending masks etc. home is lumping a lot of completely different things together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I was wrong, you didn't use the same excuse, just stick your head in the sand.

They are about a 'neutral' as you are. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Hurrache wrote: »
    Well there's a newsletter out there with at least 2 subscribers anyway.

I hope you've "heard" my comment in the way that Ian Hislop might say it

The newsletter could well be "Private Eye" : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Source

My wallet for one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

2,335 new deaths in the US so far today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Can't believe we have a couple of Trump defenders on here. At best he's a dangerous fool.

Misguided populism brought him to power. It also brought people like Hitler to power. Trump is an egotistical charlatan in charge of the most powerful military nation on earth. And it appears like he's becoming senile, more erratic to boot.

The one good thing about Trump is he is afraid of war, the alternative had voted for every war going and is a war monger.
    The US didn't have a good choice, but I know people who voted for him due to speaking out against more wars like Iraq, Libya etc
    The alternative in 2016 was far more dangerous, but that is due to two terrible candidates.

They are about a 'neutral' as you are. ;)

Nowthis (owned by the same gougers that run BuzzFeed and the Huffington post)

Here is a taste of what they are all about

During the 2016 presidential campaign, NowThis News repeatedly claimed that Donald Trump lied about Bill Clinton signing the North American Free Trade Agreement using videos posted on Facebook and YouTube. But Politifact found that NowThis News's claims were false, and Bill Clinton did in fact sign the final version of the North American Free Trade Agreement like Trump had stated.[15]

World Coronavirus Cases: 1,993,645. now

It will be 2,000,000 by morning.

4 months to reach 1,000,000, 14 days to reach 2,000,000.

Exponential growth in a pandemic is really scarey.

Terrible !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Terrible !

Fcuking hell

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

For those interested I am on approx day 8 now. Feel ok still. Have a cough this evening with a small bit of chestiness to it. Still was able to get out and have a BBQ in the garden this evening. Don't feel normal though. Have a strange detachment and fatigue. I still have no sense of smell. I can't complain given the way some are suffering. I managed a 30 minute work out this morning because I though I was through it, but maybe I am paying for that this evening. Probably wansn't the smartest.

Get well soon and wishing you a speedy recovery

Terrible !

Italy and Spain have peaked and new case numbers are falling thankfully. Some other countries the same? I highly doubt we will see 2.5 million. Unless the virus takes hold in Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

2,335 new deaths in the US so far today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

It's like 9/11 everyday , yet because it's so common now no one bats an eyelid. The whole world has become desensitised to mass loss of life,

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

fritzelly wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Fauci and Birx

Why

• Advertisement

It's like 9/11 everyday , yet because it's so common now no one bats an eyelid. The whole world has become desensitised to mass loss of life,

3,529 in Europe today too. Just numbers on a screen. Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Italy and Spain have peaked and are falling thankfully. I highly doubt we will see 2.5 million. Unless the virus takes hold in Africa

In all honesty, I'd be surprised if there isn't a severe lack of funding to be properly testing in some countries in Africa. There could be a lot more cases there that we will never know about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Vegas is a horrible place.

Not really. its pretty nice. Vegas is not the strip BTW. Source, I live here.

And we are doing ok here so far and following the social distancing measures better than most states in the US. According to some models, we are already over the peak. If the governor decided to start opening up again gradually in May, I would be OK with and so would most people here. There's a lot of people out of work right now. Its not sustainable

The vast majority of the US is not in a situation like NYC. Some lifting of restrictions in places could be ok.

In all honesty, I'd be surprised if there isn't a severe lack of funding to be properly testing in some countries in Africa. There could be a lot more cases there that we will never know about

India is another country which could have serious issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

This is a really good paper showing what Iceland has done testing-wise to control their epidemic:

Spread of SARS-CoV-2 in the Icelandic Population
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2006100

Because they've done so much testing, and so much sequencing of virus from people who tested positive, they have a very detailed understanding of how the virus was introduced and transmitted.

Most of the early positive tests were from people who picked it up in the Italian and Austrian Alps. Later positives were linked to travel from the UK, Spain, USA, which weren't initially designated as high risk areas, meaning travellers weren't tested until later. From tracking the virus sequences detected over time, the authors suggest this initial oversight could have been the cause of the virus becoming established in the population.

They also figured what they think is the minimum number of people who brought it in via Reykjavik airport: 42.

They've tracked who gave it to whom in Iceland with remarkable accuracy. They give an example of 14 people who interacted with each other, and - based on virus sequences - show who could have passed it to whom, and who could not have.

They show the incidence of each of the different symptoms, and the % with none, the way the source of infection changes over time (initially mostly from travel, later more within families), and the incidence in the population over time as the epidemic declines.

By doing all this testing (10% of pop), along with contact tracing and quarantining (5% of pop), the number of new cases has come down from a peak of over a hundred in a day to nine yesterday (covid.is/data).

We also know that eight people have died and 989 have been discharged after recovering, for a closed CFR of 0.8%.

The ongoing random population survey shows there could have been ~2k people infected at the start of April, yet only 400 cases have been detected through targeted testing since then. That tells us that many mild or asymptomatic cases are undetected, so the true infection fatality rate will be substantially below 0.8%.
    That said, they've also been able to keep the infection away from the elderly (under 5% of cases are over 70 compared with 10% of the population), which no doubt has prevented deaths.

If we were, we wouldn't be talking about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

darjeeling wrote: »
    This is a really good paper showing what Iceland has done testing-wise to control their epidemic:

Spread of SARS-CoV-2 in the Icelandic Population
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2006100

Because they've done so much testing, and so much sequencing of virus from people who tested positive, they have a very detailed understanding of how the virus was introduced and transmitted.

Most of the early positive tests were from people who picked it up in the Italian and Austrian Alps. Later positives were linked to travel from the UK, Spain, USA, which weren't initially designated as high risk areas, meaning travellers weren't tested until later. From tracking the virus sequences detected over time, the authors suggest this initial oversight could have been the cause of the virus becoming established in the population.

They also figured what they think is the minimum number of people who brought it in via Reykjavik airport: 42.

They've tracked who gave it to whom in Iceland with remarkable accuracy. They give an example of 14 people who interacted with each other, and - based on virus sequences - show who could have passed it to whom, and who could not have.

They show the incidence of each of the different symptoms, and the % with none, the way the source of infection changes over time (initially mostly from travel, later more within families), and the incidence in the population over time as the epidemic declines.

By doing all this testing (10% of pop), along with contact tracing and quarantining (5% of pop), the number of new cases has come down from a peak of over a hundred in a day to nine yesterday (covid.is/data).

We also know that eight people have died and 989 have been discharged after recovering, for a closed CFR of 0.8%.

The ongoing random population survey shows there could have been ~2k people infected at the start of April, yet only 400 cases have been detected through targeted testing since then. That tells us that many mild or asymptomatic cases are undetected, so the true infection fatality rate will be substantially below 0.8%.
    That said, they've also been able to keep the infection away from the elderly (under 5% of cases are over 70 compared with 10% of the population), which no doubt has prevented deaths.

If only the third world ****hole of Spain could learn from them.

Absolute carnage here, with cases rising and rising, no sign of it slowing at all here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EVmmVLVXQAIOHys?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

EVmmVLVXQAIOHys?format=jpg&name=900x900

To be fair, that is just a wee bit selective and doesn't include the travel bans.

No to be fair, at the time (and I still do) I thought they were instituted for political rather than public health reasons, but they were actions he took.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Absolute carnage here, with cases rising and rising, no sign of it slowing at all here...

No idea why you are living there if you think its a 3rd world country?

Also cases down almost 5000 per day since the peak.

509625.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

3,529 in Europe today too. Just numbers on a screen. Crazy stuff

Covid 19 Lives Matter, everyone
    & Everytime

What I would give to see a similar drop start here in the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Crazy to think there’s Humans still trading in wet shops in China. I legit felt guilty having to go Chemist to get a cream for my Mother who I’m caring for, but there’s actual Humans still doing what they do in these hotbed type of environments where Viruses can thrive. Fooking unbelievable when you think about it!

Sorry if I’m coming across as Racist in PC Land.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Crazy to think there’s Humans still trading in wet shops in China. I legit felt guilty having to go Chemist to get a cream for my Mother who I’m caring for, but there’s actual Humans still doing what they do in these hotbed type of environments where Viruses can thrive. Fooking unbelievable when you think about it!

Apparently there is a belief that if you torture the animal before boiling it alive the meat will be tastier.
    Something to do with adrenaline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

he said 'bats'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Not more of this Cheltenam stuff again...
    Apparently there is a belief that if you torture the animal before boiling it alive the meat will be tastier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

kyote00 wrote: »
    no one bats an eyelid
    he said 'bats'

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, wool of bat, and tongue of dog. Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting. Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing.

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, wool of bat, and tongue of dog. Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting. Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing.

Sounds like the secret chicken breast sangwhich recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sweden is looking like they made a big mistake.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/sweden

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Heart Damage in COVID-19 Patients Puzzles Doctors
    Up to one in five hospitalized patients have signs of heart injury. Cardiologists are trying to learn whether the virus attacks the organ

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/heart-damage-in-covid-19-patients-puzzles-doctors/

Spanish flu and other, more recent flu epidemics like A(H1N1), as well as other viral infections are known to cause lots of life-long heart problems in many of those who survived them, myocarditis included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Could the EU just take up the funding gap for the WHO? It would make logical sense to keep it functioning and away from this political crazy stuff at the moment.

It’s not actually very much money in the big scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

I can't see this has been mentioned here.

https://twitter.com/EEID_oxford/status/1248662224010391553

An antibody survey of blood donations from across Scotland from March 17-23 found 6/1,000 had antibodies.
    This gives a rough figure of 0.6% infected in the first half of March (because antibodies take ~ 1 -2 weeks to develop).

Under 200 cases had been detected by mid-March, which is nowhere near the implied ~33K.
    The official number of positive tests a whole month later is still just 6,358 (0.1% of the population).

This is another piece of evidence in support of the position that a large number of cases are going undetected in most countries.

A recent fairly basic calculation for Ireland from a group at Gottingen University reckoned the cumulative number of people infected here by the end of March at 122K.
    Their methods assume we had the same detection rate throughout March, whereas we did increase testing somewhat, so they might have overestimated a bit.
    Still, it looks to be in the right area, going by fatality rates and % of positive tests, and comparing these with other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

New Home wrote: »
    Spanish flu and other, more recent flu epidemics like A(H1N1), as well as other viral infections are known to cause lots of life-long heart problems in many of those who survived them, myocarditis included.

2020 is the equivalent of having a noose around your neck, and we’re only 4 months in... if these were happier times I would suggest Popcorn, instead I suggest upholding Social Distancing and saving the Popcorn for Reeling in The Years in 10 years time.

darjeeling wrote: »
    I can't see this has been mentioned here.

https://twitter.com/EEID_oxford/status/1248662224010391553

An antibody survey of blood donations from across Scotland from March 17-23 found 6/1,000 had antibodies.
    This gives a rough figure of 0.6% infected in the first half of March (because antibodies take ~ 1 -2 weeks to develop).

Under 200 cases had been detected by mid-March, which is nowhere near the implied ~33K.
    The official number of positive tests a whole month later is still just 6,358 (0.1% of the population).

This is another piece of evidence in support of the position that a large number of cases are going undetected in most countries.

A recent fairly basic calculation for Ireland from a group at Gottingen University reckoned the cumulative number of people infected here by the end of March at 122K.
    Their methods assume we had the same detection rate throughout March, whereas we did increase testing somewhat, so they might have overestimated a bit.
    Still, it looks to be in the right area, going by fatality rates and % of positive tests, and comparing these with other countries.

This can be a positive and a negative unfortunately. On the one hand, you have people out there who are getting the virus and aren't inhibited by it which means there is a decent percentage of people who, even if they do contract the virus, won't have to worry about too much or any ill health on their part.

But the negative is that you have superspreaders in a community who are most likely asymptomatic or very close to it, and passing this virus onto people who could be at risk, or living and working with vulnerable people who will unfortunately not recover from it which makes it all the more important we don't take any chances and follow the guidelines laid out for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can I just have chicken fried rice please?

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sweden is looking like they made a big mistake.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/sweden

Wish people would stop posting that site - total supposition not based on any real pandemic modelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What's wrong with using spices and herbs or sauce to make meat tasty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

nocoverart wrote: »

Your dead right nothing wrong with saying it as it is even in the midst of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's a lot easier to manage when you only have a population of 360k. I think you could find an area of Spain with the same numbers as Iceland.

Having been in the massive crowds in Sol in Madrid on a Saturday, I'm not surprised how many badly the city got hit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement