Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

fritzelly wrote:
    Don't be calling it Wuhan Flu tho as it's racist
    Ok, well call it the China virus so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Because we're right behind Sweden, some you guys mike like a link to compare us to them:

https://platz.se/coronavirus/

Apparently it's gotten into nursing homes over there as well.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0414/1130498-sweden-approach-coronavirus/

Just a word of warning, there's a video of that insufferable cúnt in the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 MosherRock426

I really wish things return to a state of semi normality come first week in may (may 5th according to Leo)
    Things don't seem all that bad out there at the moment. There are still people outside day in day out going about their this and that. Cabin fever doesn't and shouldn't be the one true constant. I am self isolating at the moment as I am high risk for this virus but also content as I know that me choosing to stay at home is saving lives. Also refusing to keep up with the current body count and daily stats of this virus. Fearmongering doesn't do the mind any good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭patnor1011

The mortality rates from COVID-19 compared to the annual flu.
    COVID-19 figures as reported 14th April 2020.

United States

COVID-19 morality 23,604 compared to annual flu mortality of 42,000, 56%

New Zealand

COVID-19 mortality 5 compared to annual flu mortality of 606, 0.8%

Australia

COVID-19 mortality 61 compared to annual flu mortality of 1,255, 4.9%

Sweden

COVID-19 mortality 919 compared to annual flu mortality of 504, 182%

Worldwide

COVID-19 mortality 119,666 compared to annual flu mortality of 389,000, 31%

Every human death is a personal tragedy. But people do, and continue to die. Since the first death from COVID-19 in late December worldwide deaths include:

Heart Attack, 4.4 million

Cancer, 2.4 million

Diabetes, 425,000

Suicide, 198,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

confirmed cases worldwide now stand at 2,000,065

in the US, Covid-19 is now the leading cause of death, more than the average daily deaths from heart disease, or cancer,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

in England, Total mortality rate is up 60% for the week of April 3 compared to the last 5 years

copied from reddit
    Or to put it more clearly, instead of the expected 10,000 people dying (5 year average), in the previous week 16,000 UK residents died.

For some mysterious reason.

The week before it was 1,000 extra unexpected deaths, and I guess next week it may be 10,000 additional deaths (total 20,000). For some mysterious reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

in England, Total mortality rate is up 60% for the week of April 3 compared to the last 5 years

copied from reddit

I'd love to know what those figures are in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Just reading about Denmark reopening primary schools and this quote from the article jumped out “New rules mean that children will be kept further apart than usual”

Eh? Do they understand they are talking about primary school kids. You can space out their desks all you want, but turn your back and they’ll be all over each other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

EDit wrote: »
    Just reading about Denmark reopening primary schools and this quote from the article jumped out “New rules mean that children will be kept further apart than usual”

Eh? Do they understand they are talking about primary school kids. You can space out their desks all you want, but turn your back and they’ll be all over each other!

You can say the same about some adults, 7 arrested at the weekend for breaking the restrictions, people turned away from beaches, beauty spots etc, some people young and old just don't get it, at least the young school kids have an excuse - their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Does annual flu take account of nursing home deaths?
    patnor1011 wrote: »

United States

New Zealand

Australia

Sweden

Worldwide

Every human death is a personal tragedy. But people do, and continue to die. Since the first death from COVID-19 in late December worldwide deaths include:

Cancer, 2.4 million

Diabetes, 425,000

Suicide, 198,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

United States

New Zealand

Australia

Sweden

Worldwide

Cancer, 2.4 million

Diabetes, 425,000

Suicide, 198,000

you are comparing 2 months figures to a year? Take the US for instance, do nothing would have been at least 200K and thats a low figure

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Does the Donald have a case with the WHO or is he simply engaging in blame deflection because of the US's own abysmal failings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Can the governors of the individual states refuse to comply with Trump or will they have no choice in opening up on the 1st of May?

If there are democratic governors telling everyone in their state to remain in lockdown, and Trump telling his supporters that the Governor is wrong and destroying their economy, its a recipe for disaster given how partisan and divided the USA slready is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

lawred2 wrote: »
    Does the Donald have a case with the WHO or is he simply engaging in blame deflection because of the US's own abysmal failings?

Abysmal relative to what? The US at the moment has about a quarter the death rate of countries like France Italy or Spain. So whats your view of France or Belgium?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

He's focussing on two things - wall street and re-election.26,000 deaths is immaterial to him and the final death count will be spun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

United States

New Zealand

Australia

Sweden

Worldwide

Cancer, 2.4 million

Diabetes, 425,000

Suicide, 198,000

Flu season is 7 months long. We're 2 months into this pandemic. Oh and the entire world doesn't shut down for flu season. You twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

C19 is becoming the big story of this whole year at this stage

You are joking right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

silverharp wrote: »
    Abysmal relative to what? The US at the moment has about a quarter the death rate of countries like France Italy or Spain. So whats your view of France or Belgium?

Death rates are a moving feast I'm afraid. Only time will ultimately tell.

But the response of allowing every state do what it wants, define their own response, neighbouring states responding in completely different ways, setting the federal off against the individual states, setting the states off against each other in a marketplace for medical supplies and equipment... these are all exceptionally poor forms of leadership and coordinated problem solving...

Not sure why everything has to be an exercise in snapshot relativity.

Every country has its own unique characteristics and challenges - comparing the relative responses of Belgium and the US seems a bit pointless. In my eyes; the US response to this has been abysmal for the US.

Back to my original question - is there a case against the WHO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

United States

New Zealand

Australia

Sweden

Worldwide

Cancer, 2.4 million

Diabetes, 425,000

Suicide, 198,000

26,064 have died in the US, most of them in less than a month ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

is there a case against the WHO?

Possibly.

But now is not the time to cut it's funding.

It's deflection of blame from the dotard again.

Does anyone know if the average weekly death figures for Ireland have been compared with this year's weekly death figures? Has anyone seen this put together anywhere. Would be interested to see what that looks like. Thanks.

Edit: Or even monthly.

Edit 2: Found something for anyone who is interested. This same trend has been seen in UK, France, Italy and Spain. Deaths have increased much more than what is just being attributed to Covid-19 in all these countries going by different studies I have seen. Surely this unexplained increase is down to the deaths due to Covid-19 and the those occuring as a result of the pandemic. Is this not therefore a better overall picture of the true effect of the virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/rise-in-number-of-death-notices-posted-online-greater-than-official-covid-19-figures-39118218.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

The POTUS who cut funding to the WHO during a worldwide Pandemic......

Let

That

Sink

In.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Akrasia wrote: »
    If there are democratic governors telling everyone in their state to remain in lockdown, and Trump telling his supporters that the Governor is wrong and destroying their economy, its a recipe for disaster given how partisan and divided the USA slready is

Ffs, the vast vast majority of Americans are normal people and not rabid trump supporters just waiting for a chance to grab their guns and start an insurgence. I know people are chomping at the bit for the place to erupt into civil war or something but its not going to happen. At least I can't imagine that where I live (a democratic state but still gun and "freedom" loving anyway)

Governors are in charge of their states, end of. Even Trump supporters accept this. He doesn't have the power to override them. Non essential businesses are literally shut down where I live, even if they decided to go back to work against orders, there's no where to go lol.

The fact is, some states should be OK to gradually try to open up again, based on the figures. If it goes wrong you can sit and gloat don't worry. We can't stay in lockdown indefinitely. One in 10 are out of work in my state. How is that sustainable? Governors, from whatever side, know that this can't go on much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I see the Danes starting to reopen schools and creches from today with the Italians also starting to lift the lockdown.

I think they are facing the reality that we will have to learn to manage Covid 19 and live with it.

We need to start planning for this asap. In no way should this be extended past the 5th of May. It should have even gone that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

deisedevil wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the average weekly death figures for Ireland have been compared with this year's weekly death figures? Has anyone seen this put together anywhere. Would be interested to see what that looks like. Thanks.

Edit: Or even monthly.

Edit 2: Found something for anyone who is interested. This same trend has been seen in UK, France, Italy and Spain. Deaths have increased much more than what is just being attributed to Covid-19 in all these countries going by different studies I have seen. Surely this unexplained increase is down to the deaths due to Covid-19 and the those occuring as a result of the pandemic. Is this not therefore a better overall picture of the true effect of the virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/rise-in-number-of-death-notices-posted-online-greater-than-official-covid-19-figures-39118218.html

We can absolutely get you those figures but first you need to understand there is no point doing that.

We ran into capacity issues around deaths despite saying we could cope so we have export some of those deaths to Germany. They since come back but there is no point looking at them because they are in the total figures. Nobody knows what day they occurred on so we will just call them a separate number i.e German deaths.

So we have two numbers. You need to understand the important number is the first number (not including the German deaths) because that number shows we are doing an amazing job and the CURVE that I have behind me is flattening.

Hope that's clear.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Possibly.

But now is not the time to cut it's funding.

It's deflection of blame from the dotard again.

I think Trump and the Sates will start to fund again and this is only a threat. Hopefully it focuses the WHO and where their priorities lie. It's not good enough for them to be in bed will big pharma and claim to be in existence for the good of people.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of Trump but he is an elected leader of the free word and he has a certain way of getting what he wants. I have no doubt this will be no different.

It's a huge chunk of cash for the WHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,607 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

fritzelly wrote: »

Mao Ze Lung disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

https://www.thejournal.ie/how-long-will-covid-19-social-distancing-last-5074624-Apr2020/

Looks like Harvard boffins are leaning towards periods of social distancing until 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I see the Danes starting to reopen schools and creches from today with the Italians also starting to lift the lockdown.

I think they are facing the reality that we will have to learn to manage Covid 19 and live with it.

We need to start planning for this asap. In no way should this be extended past the 5th of May. It should have even gone that far.

If one reads into the finer detail of Denmark opening schools you'll see that they are required to have 2metres between desks! Some are having to have classes outside! And only a fraction are opening.(35%-50%) most will open by the 20th

Imagine that in Ireland, you'd need an assembly hall for each class, classrooms in Ireland are cramped as it is.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/imf-expects-worst-global-downturn-since-great-depression-1.4228968

The IMF stating this will be worse than the great depression.

And we leave he Economy practically shutdown? I mean WTF like.

FFS.

We need to look after our vulnerable. That's not in question here. But we can do so with the lockdown being lifted and people getting back to work.

Have read through the history books if you want to see how bad the great depression was. Much worse than this virus anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52289056
    US President Donald Trump has said he is going to halt funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) because it has "failed in its basic duty" in its response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Brilliant move by Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,607 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    He's focussing on two things - wall street and re-election.26,000 deaths is immaterial to him and the final death count will be spun.

Out of a population of 350mn, 26k deaths are not significant. 260k aren't either.

I'm not being flippant about life but if the lockdown goes on too long it will cause a global depression.

It has already ensured a recession in Europe that will be brutal.

The figures in America are 1/5th of cases per million and 1/5 th of deaths.

Countries that do not have it as bad need to find a new normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/imf-expects-worst-global-downturn-since-great-depression-1.4228968

FFS.

We need to look after our vulnerable. That's not in question here. But we can do so with the lockdown being lifted and people getting back to work.

Have read through the history books if you want to see how bad the great depression was. Much worse than this virus anyway.

but you can't compare the great depression to this event, its foolish of the IMF to compare both as it makes it seem like if we didn't do what was done then we should be fine! There is no playbook for this event

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

If one reads into the finer detail of Denmark opening schools you'll see that they are required to have 2metres between desks! Some are having to have classes outside! And only a fraction are opening.(35%-50%) most will open by the 20th

Imagine that in Ireland, you'd need an assembly hall for each class, classrooms in Ireland are cramped as it is.

What's the issue with schools going back. if anything, expose them to it

Danzy wrote: »
    Out of a population of 350mn, 26k deaths are not significant. 260k aren't either.

I'm not being flippant about life but if the lockdown goes on too long it will cause a global depression.

It has already ensured a recession in Europe that will be brutal.

The figures in America are 1/5th of cases per million and 1/5 th of deaths.

Countries that do not have it as bad need to find a new normal.

Some historical sources quote that as many as 7 million people died of hunger during the great depression. FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is he going to sack himself because he has "failed in his basic duty" in the US response to the coronavirus outbreak?

but you can't compare the great depression to this event, its foolish of the IMF to compare both as it makes it seem like if we didn't do what was done then we should be fine! There is no playbook for this event

I agree to some extent. But it's one reason and a very good one as to why this lockdown needs to be eased asap and let people back out to work.

Vicxas wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/how-long-will-covid-19-social-distancing-last-5074624-Apr2020/

Looks like Harvard boffins are leaning towards periods of social distancing until 2022.

Heres the study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

4290112148_7365c444e6.jpg

We can absolutely get you those figures but first you need to understand there is no point doing that.

We ran into capacity issues around deaths despite saying we could cope so we have export some of those deaths to Germany. They since come back but there is no point looking at them because they are in the total figures. Nobody knows what day they occurred on so we will just call them a separate number i.e German deaths.

So we have two numbers. You need to understand the important number is the first number (not including the German deaths) because that number shows we are doing an amazing job and the CURVE that I have behind me is flattening.

Hope that's clear.

Ah yes. All is well. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Headline
    IMF warns pandemic likely to result in worst global downturn since Great Depression

:confused:

FFS.

And China have done this purposefully!! biological and economic warfare..

And the c'unts don't want more research on the origin of the virus ... I wonder why .....

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/12/asia/china-coronavirus-research-restrictions-intl-hnk/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2020-04-12T18%3A06%3A56&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR2k-voJFm0y7G733GR5vdQ-nZO2mvmjqbtPoznvYRuC3hxXcwlxneTEHo8

What's the issue with schools going back. if anything, expose them to it

Kids are vectors.

I only got the odd cold every year until my kids went to school, now its 2/3 different strains of viruses every year.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is he going to sack himself because he has "failed in his basic duty" in the US response to the coronavirus outbreak?

The difference here is that he didn't sanction it's creation and release it on the world to destroy the rest of the global economy .... slight difference I know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Vicxas wrote: »

This shouldn't be a suprise at this stage.

The virus won't go away until everyone is immune or at least enough people are immune for it to burn away.

We've two choices, you either let it burn through the population (killing up to 60,000 people on the island of Ireland) and get that immunity a bit quicker, or you keep social distancing in place to some extent until a vaccine is developed to scale tens of thousands of lives. A vaccine probably may not be mass produced until late next year or early 2022.

The herd immunity theory (i.e. the former choice) may not work anyway as we don't know how long people will have immunity for. We don't know if immunity will last for more than 3 or 4 months because the virus is only 3 or 4 months old.

Personally I think that provided the virus doesn't mutate into something worse, and from what I've read I think viruses that mutate usually become less virulent, (but it is still possible it could become more lethal) then as we are either at or very very close to the peak of this first wave then right now is probably the worst of this virus. We should be better prepared for a second, third and maybe even a fourth wave of the virus due to more hospital capacity and hopefully better treatments for the symptoms.

But it seems likely that social distancing measures will have to be switched on and off for the next 12-24 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

China is at an advanced stage developing a vaccine

Well you know what you can do with it lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I agree to some extent. But it's one reason and a very good one as to why this lockdown needs to be eased asap and let people back out to work.

I pray every day for an end to the lockdown

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

The difference here is that he didn't sanction it's creation and release it on the world to destroy the rest of the global economy .... slight difference I know...

While the virus started in China Trump has been highly complimentary of their handling of the crisis. I mean I wouldn't be but I disagree with the man on a lot of things.

This is as recently as late March by the way. So it is obvious that the defunding has nothing to do with China.

So he seems to have sanctioned the handling of it wt the point of initial outbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I pray every day for an end to the lockdown
    Do an advent type calendar, just 20 days to go! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The full IMF report does not compare our situation to the great depression.
    It only states that it's the greatest global economy retraction since the depression.
    The media are mincing there words to suit there headline story's

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement