Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

The difference here is that he didn't sanction it's creation and release it on the world to destroy the rest of the global economy .... slight difference I know...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058056380

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From Guardian feed @09.37 Just baby steps.
    In a first step towards easing coronavirus-related restrictions, Finland will lift roadblocks in the region around Helsinki on Wednesday, the prime minister, Sanna Marin, said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Problem is that most funding is going through Congress and he doesn't have the authority to stop it

He is truly a brilliant con man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Don't google coronavirus mutation India.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

weisses wrote: »
    Problem is that most funding is going through Congress and he doesn't have the authority to stop it

He is truly a brilliant con man

As per usual only a half story is being told. Trump has cut funding as the Us is over paying its share. Over paying by a long shot. 3 times the amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Kids are vectors.

I only got the odd cold every year until my kids went to school, now its 2/3 different strains of viruses every year.

To beat a virus you need less people who can catch and spread it.

Christy42 wrote: »
    While the virus started in China Trump has been highly complimentary of their handling of the crisis. I mean I wouldn't be but I disagree with the man on a lot of things.

This is as recently as late March by the way. So it is obvious that the defunding has nothing to do with China.

So he seems to have sanctioned the handling of it wt the point of initial outbreak.
    The defunding is just something he actually has power to do as the virus, the governors and pretty much everyone else just keep giving him the bird. As useful as a 3 year old having a tantrum, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Gynoid wrote: »

gulp, I just did

Dundalk, Co. Louth

gulp, I just did

Well apparently we are not to worry, small sample size, you know the story

Another reason why we can’t just lockdown and wait for a vaccine. It might never come. We have to learn to live with this, adjusting our lives as appropriate, sooner rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

If one reads into the finer detail of Denmark opening schools you'll see that they are required to have 2metres between desks! Some are having to have classes outside! And only a fraction are opening.(35%-50%) most will open by the 20th

Imagine that in Ireland, you'd need an assembly hall for each class, classrooms in Ireland are cramped as it is.

I wonder if we could see something like staggered school days and a shorter week with only half a school attending at any given time?

They probably have until September to figure it out at least.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    As per usual only a half story is being told. Trump has cut funding as the Us is over paying its share. Over paying by a long shot. 3 times the amount
    They may well be but his approach is that of a petulant child. Not sure about that it is "by a long shot" as others contribute pretty big chunks as well.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52289056

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I duckduckgoed it, but nothing jumped out at me.

What did google say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Kids are vectors.

I only got the odd cold every year until my kids went to school, now its 2/3 different strains of viruses every year.

I'm rarely sick and my kids are in school. Had something in December / January and I'm convinced it was the Corona.

Another reason why we can’t just lockdown and wait for a vaccine. It might never come. We have to learn to live with this, adjusting our lives as appropriate, sooner rather than later

Fair play. Get on with life. If you or one of yours becomes infected and dies such is life. For the greater good we will continue on. Someone else will take your place

Downlinz wrote: »
    I wonder if we could see something like staggered school days and a shorter week with only half a school attending at any given time?

Get the children to summer Corona camps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Exactly, this is actually a blessing in disguise, just f*ck it, get masks to everyone, wash your hands loads, maintain social distancing, but get the economy back up !!!

We survived the 1918/19 pandemic with no vaccines, doubt there were lockdowns back then either ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,620 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm rarely sick and my kids are in school. Had something in December / January and I'm convinced it was the Corona.

Can't argue with that science.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,708 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Viruses tend to mutate to weaker versions, its natural selection at work, the weaker but more spreadable gives it a numerical advantage

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

What did google say?

you have one strange custom dictionary :eek:

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,620 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Exactly, this is actually a blessing in disguise, just f*ck it, get masks to everyone, wash your hands loads, maintain social distancing, but get the economy back up !!!

We survived the 1918/19 pandemic with no vaccines, doubt there were lockdowns back then either ...

100 million didn't.

Odds are it was just a flu

What did google say?

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.07.029132v1

Since 2002, beta coronaviruses (CoV) have caused three zoonotic outbreaks, SARS-CoV in 2002, MERS-CoV in 2012, and the recent outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 late in 2019 (also named as COVID-19 or novel coronavirus 2019 or nCoV2019. Spike(S) protein, one of the structural proteins of this virus plays key role in receptor (ACE2) binding and thus virus entry. Thus, this protein has attracted scientists for detailed study and therapeutic targeting. As the 2019 novel coronavirus takes its course throughout the world, more and more sequence analyses are been done and genome sequences getting deposited in various databases. From India two clinical isolates have been sequenced and the full genome deposited in GenBank. We have performed sequence analyses of the spike protein of the Indian isolates and compared with that of the Wuhan, China (where the outbreak was first reported). While all the sequences of Wuhan isolates are identical, we found point mutations in the Indian isolates. Out of the two isolates one was found to harbour a mutation in its Receptor binding domain (RBD) at position 407. At this site arginine (a positively charged amino acid) was replaced by isoleucine (a hydrophobic amino acid that is also a C-beta branched amino acid). This mutation has been seen to change the secondary structure of the protein at that region and this can potentially alter receptor ding of the virus. Although this finding needs further validation and more sequencing, the information might be useful in rational drug designing and vaccine engineering

I did, it seems random according to this. It's also preliminary and a tiny sample.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/mutation-in-coronavirus-from-india-random-no-cause-for-alarm/story-h1tVOps6zDjXDVNtSosn2I.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Downlinz wrote: »

Yeah i dont see any advantage at opening schools, they do feck all after easter anyway(esp primary) they should concentrate in getting a plan in place for Sept. I know alot of pressure is coming from the economic point of view(parents working) but decisions need to be fairly balanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

50,000,000 people didn't survive the 1918/19 pandemic.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/imf-expects-worst-global-downturn-since-great-depression-1.4228968

The IMF stating this will be worse than the great depression.

And we leave he Economy practically shutdown? I mean WTF like.

FFS.

We need to look after our vulnerable. That's not in question here. But we can do so with the lockdown being lifted and people getting back to work.

Have read through the history books if you want to see how bad the great depression was. Much worse than this virus anyway.

Worst since, not worse than. Its an important distinction

silverharp wrote: »
    Viruses tend to mutate to weaker versions, its natural selection at work, the weaker but more spreadable gives it a numerical advantage

Wasn't the Spanish flu the complete opposite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

I think we are about 6-8 weeks away from Trump telling us he has been approached by an Alien Race with a Bigly cure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

And China have done this purposefully!! biological and economic warfare.

Did you know the chemicals in the water turned the frogs gay too?

I think we are about 6-8 weeks away from Trump telling us he has been approached by an Alien Race with a Bigly cure
    He's entirely the wrong personality type to be in charge at a time like this. Rapid sweeping decisions are not the order of the day.

Fair play. Get on with life. If you or one of yours becomes infected and dies such is life. For the greater good we will continue on. Someone else will take your place

Did you see the part of my post about adjusting our lives? It wasn’t that long a post, but perhaps you missed it

China is at an advanced stage developing a vaccine

Well you know what you can do with it lads

Test it, confirm safety and efficacy and distribute it?

You suggest if China develop a viable vaccine we wouldn't use it?

The vaccine will come from America. The Us government are working with pharma and also funding research. You don't have to take it if it does arrive because dur Trump bad and all. Someone else will gladly take your place

Did you know the chemicals in the water turned the frogs gay too?
    Well, apparently they are linked the imbalance of the number of girls being born over boys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

WHOOOOOOSHHHHHHHH

gulp, I just did

Dont get too worried, while individual mutations will be random, selection pressure will drive towards lower severity over time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The difference here is that he didn't sanction it's creation and release it on the world to destroy the rest of the global economy .... slight difference I know...

huh?

The New Zealand Pm and other cabinet members have taken a 20% paycut during the crisis as a show of solidarity with New Zealand's citizens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I see the Danes starting to reopen schools and creches from today with the Italians also starting to lift the lockdown.

I think they are facing the reality that we will have to learn to manage Covid 19 and live with it.

We need to start planning for this asap. In no way should this be extended past the 5th of May. It should have even gone that far.

What sort of model do you want us to follow? What we're doing or what Sweden is doing?

Id say Sweden will sky rocket soon. Incredible what they are doing. They didnt learn anything from the brits in relation to hear immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The vaccine will come from America. The Us government are working with pharma and also funding research. You don't have to take it if it does arrive because dur Trump bad and all. Someone else will gladly take your place

no doubt he will have thought of the formula

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Worst since, not worse than. Its an important distinction

Oh everything will be ok so. Carry in with the economic lockdown.

Achasanai wrote: »
    What sort of model do you want us to follow? What we're doing or what Sweden is doing?
    Even the main man in Sweden says it will be a long, long time before we can judge what overall approach was correct. As Mike Ryan keeps saying do it fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

And we can take his Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin combo in the meantime.

I'm starting to feel more relaxed already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Anyone taking a first vaccine, rushed out in an emergency, with the government and not the manufacturer indemnifying is for the birds.

New Russian system looks to be a mess
    Crowds and long lines have formed in the Moscow metro today as the city’s new electronic permission system may have backfired by trapping thousands of people at bottlenecks on public transport.

Anyone taking a first vaccine, rushed out in an emergency, with the government and not the manufacturer indemnifying is for the birds.

Johnson and Johnson are receiving most funding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The New Zealand Pm and other cabinet members have taken a 20% paycut during the crisis as a show of solidarity with New Zealand's citizens

She is a good leader. Not afraid to rock the boat or make difficult decisions.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Boggles wrote: »
    100 million didn't.

Shhh

boo hoo, they are only on 8k a month instead of 10k ...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement