Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Articles from the guardian are not worth copying.

"Any article that proves me wrong isn't worth reading. The facts are correct, but let's ignore that."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Where do you get your news instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Looking at the figures of new cases from likes of Austria (+54/day) and Switzerland (+87) these are growth of below 0.5 % .

I think Irish people need to know we have a long way to go to get to them figures - we are 10 times worse than that at present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

KiKi III wrote: »
    "Any article that proves me wrong isn't worth reading. The facts are correct, but let's ignore that."

I haven't been proved wrong on anything. The Us hands out 10s of billions a year. Probably 100s of billions and the world has gotten used to that and relies on it. Yet there is non stop criticism. The world can have the Us as leader including its flaws or it can turn to China .

Which do you think is a better option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

khalessi wrote: »
    Well then just put it up and give a reason you dont need to highlight someone:rolleyes:
    As I said really not all about you. Not all posters call people out by way of debate and it was a fairly logical place to put it as a source for the unaware. Lesson learnt, I suppose.

• Advertisement

Where do you get your news instead?

Reuters and associated press.

Everything else is biased one way or another garbage.
    Media bias websites are plentiful. Someone was posting links from Nowthis yesterday.
    Nowthis are deemed to be "extreme left wing bias" by all bias checkers. The left sided equivalent of breitbart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well either it's factual or it's not. Must be easily disprovable if the content is not worth copying.

Just dismissing it is akin to trolling really.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

khalessi wrote: »
    Yesss??? Not sure why you highlighted me for this as it does say that Swedes for the most part live alone and employ social distancing more naturally then us bu a small cohort might have parties.
    So eh yeah thanks:confused:

Just for arguements sake I'm gonna call bulls...
    Looking at Finland Norway Iceland Denmark (Nordic) areas have all really low numbers in comparison to Sweden at the minute. Expect to see an explosion

Looking at the figures of new cases from likes of Austria (+54/day) and Switzerland (+87) these are growth of below 0.5 % .

I think Irish people need to know we have a long way to go to get to them figures - we are 10 times worse than that at present.
    Yeah, but we are half what we were a week or so ago. No reason not to assume we will be closer to that in 2 weeks, especially if the transmission rate is now at about one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

The Chinese don't claim to be the leader of the free world. Appointing your own country with a title like that carries with it a level of obligation.

Trump inherited that title to be fair to him. We had "greats" like Clinton and Obama using that term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump cuts aid to the World Health Organisation in the middle of a pandemic.

Even if you ignore the rights and wrongs on optics alone it's a typical ridiculous move by Trump from which predictably the Chinese and Russians have seized the moral high ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The World Health Organization gets 3,000 signals of possible health emergencies per month.(100 per day) After screening they follow up 300 events per month and investigate 30 events per month with boots on the ground. They conduct formal risk assessments on a subset of those health emergencies. Completed assessments are shared with all member states and key operational partners. Assistance is then offered to affected states and rapidly deployed.

All this defense of humankind on a minuscule budget, compared to the 1.8 trillion spent on arms yearly.

The USA was already $200 million in arrears for its agreed contributions to the W.H.O. even before Trump threatened to withdraw funding.

The USA has saved the yearly amount it contributes every 26 days, simply because the W.H.O. has successfully eliminating smallpox from the globe, thus saving the costs of vaccinating children against that lethal disease.

The USA withdrawal of funding to the W.H.O., just as the poorest countries in the world are beginning their epidemics in Africa and South America, is close to being ‘a crime against humanity’.

It is difficult to argue against the proposition that the USA under Trump has become a ‘rogue state’.

Blame it all on the US, nothing at all about China.

Rogue state, FFS.

Our own country is massively dependent on US investment for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Longing

I thought I was bad on my 19th day waiting for results. Still have cough. But getting there.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1250365055931166720

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Even if you ignore the rights and wrongs on optics alone it's a typical ridiculous move by Trump from which predictably the Chinese and Russians have seized the moral high ground.

Nice distraction for the domestic failings of lots of countries today.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well either it's factual or it's not. Must be easily disprovable if the content is not worth copying.

Just dismissing it is akin to trolling really.

Because I don't agree with your opinion or the legitimacy of your sources it's trolling?

The go to word when someone refuses to agree with your narrative. You can have your opinion don't try deny me of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Mmmmm you are shooting messengers again, just because you cannot face up to the truth.

I actually got the facts in my post from several sources, including a lecture from our own Dr. Mike Ryan.

Addressing Health Emergencies Around the Globe

Longing wrote: »
    I thought I was bad on my 19th day waiting for results. Still have cough. But getting there.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1250365055931166720

What's the point of being tested at this rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

growleaves wrote: »
    Proof? This is a new assumption glommed from a handy stereotype, with no way for anyone to verify it, but which saves face for many if the lockdown turns out to have been unnecessary.

The walk-back has already begun.

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

"We are very much looking forward to the first use of [convalescent plasma] in patients at [University Hospital Wales], as this offers a genuine therapeutic option for this potentially fatal condition."

"In the absence of any current vaccine or antiviral therapy, it has significant potential to aid the recovery of patients."

https://twitter.com/WalesOnline/status/1250006374874046465

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Just for arguements sake I'm gonna call bulls...
    Looking at Finland Norway Iceland Denmark (Nordic) areas have all really low numbers in comparison to Sweden at the minute. Expect to see an explosion
    All those countries have natural social distancing through culture. It is why they are the best comparison for each other (though not perfect). Sweden may or may not have an explosion but you can see they could have been so much better had they put in measures. No measures doesn't mean you will the worst as you may have natural advantages to a situation. No measures just means you will be far worse than you should have been which Sweden obviously is after their failed policies.

Having said that unless their testing is a lot better than worldometer claims (I don't know how often they publish) 5they are in a bad state as those numbers are massive for such a limited amount of testing.

• Advertisement

Even CNN who hate Trump were giving out about the WHO last night, saying they were slow to call it a pandemic.

The initial WHO response to this was woeful, no-one disputes that. They advised people to fly away, both in and out of China. This was the starting point for the worldwide spread.

If this was isolated to China early, we'd actually have a functioning world economy at the moment, instead of wrecked economies and another Great Depression on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Well the whole point of it was Trump trying to distract from his own domestic failings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Ireland has a population of roughly 5 million people. With 800 new cases per day we are the equivalent of a country like Spain if they had 8,000 cases per day
    A lot of highly infected countries like italy or Spain managed to stay within the 6,000 new cases even during peak. We are not doing very well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I haven't been proved wrong on anything. The Us hands out 10s of billions a year. Probably 100s of billions and the world has gotten used to that and relies on it. Yet there is non stop criticism. The world can have the Us as leader including its flaws or it can turn to China .

Which do you think is a better option?

Can I choose neither?

That's definitely my first choice. I want neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

From the moment that man got on the wagon of politics he's been polarizing and divisive and just utterly contemptible......one of the oddest human beings in history..

He is incapable of any type of simple debate and dialogue. I keep thinking it's a dream when I hear some of the stuff he comes out with.

Not a single redeemable feature that one can admire or warm to.

Zero empathy at all. He doesn't give a flying fook about human lives....

And proved it long before this....

I think his worst was how he was threatening to obliterate and wreak havoc on nations who were hostile to the U.S. The aggression in his tone, and the words he used when talking about the destruction of human life....

In the middle of a global pandemic when people should be helping and joining and reaching out, and this horror is picking fights, and now goes and cuts funds to WHO

I blame his people as much as him. He surrounds himself with people who are complicit, and their being complicit allows this man to behave so immoral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

How did the dictionary taste for breakfast?

Nothing wrong with a little light hearted craic from time to time in such a serious thread.

But just think, you could be in a place with no lockdown and riding all the lonely women....perfection.

quokula wrote: »
    Well the whole point of it was Trump trying to distract from his own domestic failings.

It's all over RTE. And people are waiting weeks to get tested here.

dublin99 wrote: »
    There have been complaints that the owner of a large Dublin nursing home failed, for up to a week, to disclose to his staff (many would be agency workers) or family of other residents when the first case(s) was/were suspected/confirmed.

I am unsure if he thought he could keep it under wraps but this obviously meant staff were working normally initially without ppe and spreading the virus both within the nursing home and back at their accommodation (shared rentals and asylum centres) as well as in other nursing homes where the agency staff also work.

Within a number of days, there were clusters in at least three floors of this large purpose built nursing home.

What this guy did was unethical (whilst perhaps not unlawful) and disgraceful, to say the least.

There are a lot of good people running nursing homes. But as we've seen in recent times, there are also a lot of cowboys running nursing homes.

growleaves wrote: »
    Proof? This is a new assumption glommed from a handy stereotype, with no way for anyone to verify it, but which saves face for many if the lockdown turns out to have been unnecessary.

The walk-back has already begun.
    I get the impression that no matter how we'd gone about this you'd find fault with it. Our response and that of the majority of countries is based on the WHO guidelines and they are fans of "doing it fast and not waiting to be right" and that it's better to seem excessive than to have failed in public health.

• Advertisement

Yeh...but...look over there...Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

He was tested, still waiting on the result.

Unfortunately he must be one of the last batch going to Germany.
    If hes not in ICU or quite unwell at this time and showing no symptoms for the last few days he should assume hes negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Just been informed a guy I know from saying hello to in our estate died of the virus yesterday. I hadn't even known he was ill. In his 40's like myself with no previous health issues and leaves 2 kids and wife behind. I remember speaking to him whilst out walking the dog a few weeks back about of all things missing roof tiles.

In a bit of shock tbh.

There are a lot of good people running nursing homes. But as we've seen in recent times, there are also a lot of cowboys running nursing homes.
    I saw Tadhg Daly last night and he commented that some nursing homes are doing things very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Are people waiting weeks to get tested or a percentage waiting on their results due to a back log?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That distraction is handed to China by Trump. They have the moral high ground now and are entitled to use it.

They shouldn't have any plinth from which to preach moral values to the world after this but now they do.

It's sad to see the lack of tact, common sense, basic common decency and intelligence from a POTUS.

Hopefully not much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Ireland has a population of roughly 5 million people. With 800 new cases per day we are the equivalent of a country like Spain if they had 8,000 cases per day
    A lot of highly infected countries like italy or Spain managed to stay within the 6,000 new cases even during peak. We are not doing very well
    With the known stats
    On one given day that 800 people test positive in Ireland.
    How many of them are ill enough to be admitted to hospital?
    How many of them will die from covid 19? And how many of them deaths will be of people who are fit and middle aged?
    How many deaths will be from people over 70 already ill?
    How many will never show symptoms?
    How many will have just a common cold?

The Chinese don't claim to be the leader of the free world. Appointing your own country with a title like that carries with it a level of obligation.

I'm damn glad the US is the leader of the free world, whatever that means, rather than China.
    I give the Chinese credit for getting on top of this in their own country, but not much more. They clearly pressurised the WHO to advise against a travel ban to and from China until it was completely contained there. That was a massive mistake by both China and the WHO.

Once covid 19 got to Europe and the US, it was going to be almost impossible to contain, as western governments don't have the same tyrannical powers used by China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah i dont see any advantage at opening schools, they do feck all after easter anyway(esp primary) they should concentrate in getting a plan in place for Sept. I know alot of pressure is coming from the economic point of view(parents working) but decisions need to be fairly balanced.

There will be interest to see what happens in Denmark over the next two or three weeks.

The one advantage of trying to get schools re-opened, even for a week or two in June, that I can think of is that by the middle of July we will have some idea of the impact of re-opening schools on the infection rates. This might help planning for September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    With the known stats
    On one given day that 800 people test positive in Ireland.
    How many of them are ill enough to be admitted to hospital?
    How many of them will die from covid 19? And how many of them deaths will be of people who are fit and middle aged?
    How many deaths will be from people over 70 already ill?
    How many will never show symptoms?
    How many will have just a common cold?

I'd tend to agree.

It's not a popular opinion but I feel we are locking down the country to the detriment of millions and to benefit a few.

Surely the at risk categories can be protected with this shutdown?

Are people waiting weeks to get tested or a percentage waiting on their results due to a back log?
    The backlog in now down to about 6K and from what they said it would be cleared by the end of this week. That's out of 35K.

• Advertisement

That distraction is handed to China by Trump. They have the moral high ground now and are entitled to use it.

They shouldn't have any plinth from which to preach moral values to the world after this but now they do.

It's sad to see the lack of tact, common sense, basic common decency and intelligence from a POTUS.

Hopefully not much longer.

The attention on Trump from people here is misapplied.

We let our government off because so many get outraged about Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

We have one of the highest testing rates per capita in the world - more than twice the US and higher than countries like South Korea that many hold up as the gold standard.

There is a worldwide shortage of reagent and some delays are inevitable. The HSE have been open and transparent about the size of the backlog and the steps they're taking to reduce it and their aim to eliminate it soon with the help of the German testing.

Very few right thinking people could say our government has done much wrong in this crisis, obviously in an unprecedented situation some mistakes will get made but we've fortunately been exemplary in our handling of it.

None of this is in any way related to your attempt to deflect away criticism of Trump's appalling actions and his undermining of those who are trying to fight the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,000 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yeh...but...look over there...Trump.

Is it possible frank321 to hold both to account? Is your post an attempt to do what you accuse other of because America invests a lot here. Is your argument that this somehow makes them immune from criticism?

What should our outrage towards our own government be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I saw last night on a trip to shops some neighbours in an apartment block across the street from us having a chat, but they were literally 10cm apart, not a bother on them, I think I can understand why this is still spreading like absolute wildfire here in Spain and is not slowing down a bit - after one month of lockdown ..

Is it possible frank321 to hold both to account? Is your post an attempt to do what you accuse other of because America invests a lot here. Is your argument that this somehow makes them immune from criticism?

Why would we want to hold Trump to account. We aren't living in America.

It's not surprising. The media pumps out Trump stories constantly. Open any media site, newspaper or broadcast. There will be mention of Trump. It's relentless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

On the 30th March there were approximately 850 new confirmed cases in Austria. That's less than 3 weeks ago. Let's see where we are at the end of the month.

Austria and Denmark infection rates will be watched intently by everyone over the next 2-3 weeks. Let's hope they don't increase or increase significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

The Us over pay their share X3. Well within their rights to hold back any and all financial contributions.

https://www.investopedia.com/insights/worlds-top-economies/

USA is 23% of world economy so you could say they are underpaying.

3rd world countries rely on WHO. Western democracies will not be impacted by WHO funding decreases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

To find out whether you had it and now are immune (well we assume you're immune if you've had it), put your mind at ease when restrictions are lifted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement