Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XV - 15,251 in ROI (610 deaths) 2,645 in NI (194 deaths) (19/04) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Again Nowthis "articles"

A "news" organisation that is rated as "extreme left wing bias" by media fact and bias check organisations. The bias scale doesn't go any higher than extreme. They are rated extreme. Left wing version of breitbart

Ignore the idiot's own words as he hangs himself and shoot the messenger... That is becoming quite a habit of yours Blue.

Tut Tut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Again Nowthis "articles"

A "news" organisation that is rated as "extreme left wing bias" by media fact and bias check organisations. The bias scale doesn't go any higher than extreme. They are rated extreme. Left wing version of breitbart

https://mediabiasfactcheck-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/nowthis-news/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15869067018476&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fmediabiasfactcheck.com%2Fnowthis-news%2F

That media rating organisation is not credible. Not to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's more complicated an issue then it may initially look. But Trump is a dummy and doesn't do such nuance.

In a nutshell...

A very dangerous dummy

In the middle of a global pandemic (when we all should be working to become friends and colleagues and together) and he comes out with more aggression and divisiveness and hostility....I can understand there will be disagreements, but he is intentionally trying to stir and divide.

I don't know how he is allowed get away with it.....well, I do, but.....

Only in America, I guess...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

walshb wrote: »
    In a nutshell...

A very dangerous dummy

In the middle of a global pandemic (when we all shoukld be working to become friends and colleaguesa and together) and he comes out with more aggression and divisiveness and hostility....I can understand there will be disagreements, but he is intentionally trying to stir and divide.

I don't know how he is allowed get away with it.....well, I do, but.....

Only in America, I guess...

"Divide and conquer"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ignore the idiot's own words as he hangs himself and shoot the messenger... That is becoming quite a habit of yours Blue.

Tut Tut

https://newspunch.com/roger-stone-bill-gates-globalists-using-coronavirus-mandatory-vaccinations-microchipping-people/

I can post from garbage "news" sites too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xertz wrote:
    All any of us can be is realistic about what’s possible.
    What we can do is look at how budgets were cut and moved around because of our attitude that we didn't need to be prepared for emergencies such as this.
    We need to be prepared in future, we need to be capable of self-sufficiency as regards the production of PPE gear, ventilators, food etc.

That media rating organisation is not credible. Not to be taken seriously.

Pick anyone you like. They all say the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Germany has become the 8th country to report more deaths thanChina. Netherlands will also likely overtake china within the next day or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

owlbethere wrote: »
    Regarding schools, I think maybe we would be better of they were to remain closed until September. It will be a raw deal for the 6th class pupils transitioning to secondary school without finishing primary school though.

Not a hope of schools opening before the next School year, bar for the leaving cert.

INMO Trolley Watch figures for April 15th 2020

21 beds short today in Irish Hospitals.

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

• Advertisement

Pick anyone you like. They all say the same

Did you watch the video? If so, what's your problem with it?

Am I off to think that the LC just isn't a runner?

How can they in any real way safely run it? They are gathering 1000s of teens together across the country, and hoping for the best....even with measures in place, these teens cannot be all chaperoned from their homes to the test centers and back home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I see some people saying that Trumps actions have let China off the hook.

That delusional thinking.

China are responsible and anybody with a modicum of intelligence has lost any trust they may have had in China.

Trump is an idiot but that won't change people's minds about China.

INMO Trolley Watch figures for April 15th 2020

21 beds short today in Irish Hospitals.

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

640 in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

joe_99 wrote: »
    They are not new cases. Plus we are testing more.

800 daily new cases is the official figure for Ireland, what do you mean they are not new cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Did you watch the video? If so, what's your problem with it?

Media bias obvs.
    Even though Trump said all that insane stuff, it’s the media that is the problem silly.

Media bias obvs.
    Even though Trump said all that insane stuff, it’s the media that is the problem silly.

No it's the MSM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Am I off to think that the LC just isn't a runner?

How can they in any real way safely run it? They are gathering 1000s of teens together across the country, and hoping for the best....even with measures in place, these teens cannot be all chaperoned from their homes to the test centers and back home...

Unless the teens have pre existing medical conditions that make them vulnerable I can't see any issue with going ahead with it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I see some people saying that Trumps actions have let China off the hook.

That delusional thinking.

China are responsible and anybody with a modicum of intelligence has lost any trust they may have had in China.

Trump is an idiot but that won't change people's minds about China.

This pandemic is 100% the fault of China. They repeatedly tried to cover it up. The virus spread here and around the world. It is responsible for the deaths of thousands upon thousands of people and has completely disrupted everyone's lives.
    Yet the articles and reporting is all on Trump. Where is the criticism of the CCP and it's president? China have been let completely off the hook. They are getting back to business and the world is buying billions worth of medical equipment from them !

People are so distracted and led by the media. It's unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Again Nowthis "articles"

https://mediabiasfactcheck-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/nowthis-news/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15869067018476&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fmediabiasfactcheck.com%2Fnowthis-news%2F

You tried this last night, were given other sources, most notably Trumps very own words and tweets, and you still keep your head in the sand and blame a lefty conspiracy for making these things up.
    Utterly deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

In the film Contagion released in 2011, the lead characters name is MEARS.

In 2012 the MERS virus appeared in China.

Creepy

Italy taking disinfection very seriously including roads with help from Russia.

LOMBARDY, ITALY APRIL 14, 2020: A video screen grab shows a Russian military expert carrying out disinfection procedures at a hospital in Brignano Gera d'Adda outside Bergamo.

Servicemen of the Russian Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Protection Troops in cooperation with Italian counterparts have successfully disinfected healthcare institutions in 55 cities and towns of Bergamo,
    • namely 59 buildings and facilities,
    • over 370,000sqm of indoor premises
    • and more than 45,000sqm of hard-top roads.

509656.jpg

Have reports from Italy not said that the Russian support was essentially just a publicity stunt with nothing useful added, and in some cases actually hindering efforts? Also, watermarked Russian Defence ministry - reliable source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

quokula wrote: »
    So we've already got one of the highest testing rates in the world, we want to expand it even further, but the person in charge admits he's not confident that we can achieve this yet. Where's the lack of transparency there?

There isn't enough reagent to expand it further or expand the conditions to get tested. We wasted a sh*tload of tests on people who obviously didn't have the right symptoms. This meant that those who did have the symptoms were waiting on results for 2 weeks or more.

In an ideal world we'd test everyone once a week. In the real world we have limited lab and reagent capacity. Better to test and turnaround results of a certain number of people say 1500 a day than end up running into more backlogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Unless the teens have pre existing medical conditions that make them vulnerable I can't see any issue with going ahead with it.

Conditions which heretofore were not an issue to deal with could be now. As I stated elsewhere asthma, CF, diabetes psoriasis (depending on the medications) and being overweight are comorbidities of Covid19.

Conditions we would have dealt with but not with huge concern now could be a major concern if the person catches Covid19.

How many people to put in a room? How to space them? Prevention of cross infection, deep cleaning of rooms daily all issues to be dealt with that the Dept has left to a local level if I understand correctly

Would you be happy sending your child into an exam in the middle of a pandemic. They need a leaving cert but they also need to be well enough to use it

Hurrache wrote: »
    You tried this last night, were given other sources, most notiably Trumps very own words and tweets, and you still keep your head in the sand and blame a lefty conspiracy for making these things up.
    Utterly deluded.

Have you got any articles about Xi Jinping ? The virus didn't come from the Us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

eagle eye wrote: »
    What we can do is look at how budgets were cut and moved around because of our attitude that we didn't need to be prepared for emergencies such as this.
    We need to be prepared in future, we need to be capable of self-sufficiency as regards the production of PPE gear, ventilators, food etc.

We can do but can you honestly say that if there isn’t another pandemic until 2120 whatever the HSE type organisation is by then will be paying any attention?

The reality of it is that the West has not experienced a serious pandemic of this scale since the 1918 flu and that was barely modern times. Modern public health systems barely existed or were in their infancy. You’re talking about an era when medicine was rather basic and death rates were high anyway and it was in a period of wars and all sorts of things rumbling away.

We’ve come to this from an era, in the developed world, of prolonged stability and with an expectation that stuff like this belongs in history books.

If this is the only pandemic we experience, give it a few decades and it will be forgotten about and blamed on early 21st century idiocy much like we probably look back at 1918, or did a year or two ago anyway.

I would suspect within 10 - 20 years the lessons of this will be largely forgotten in terms of public policy and the world will be back to complacency again.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

I swear anytime I turn on Sky news it's either showing Scottish press conference or it's showing the world weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Xertz wrote: »
    I don’t know. Thinking back to my start of secondary school, I don’t really think it would have made much difference. The primary school system is not all that regimented and many of the subjects you take in secondary school are entirely new or take totally different approaches.

Most people will just get over the bump and carry on in September, October or whenever we start up again and accommodations and adaptions will be made where needed.

The only students I would be concerned about are senior cycle, close to leaving certificate as they’re under big pressure (too big in my opinion, but that’s another thread).

Leaving certs are definitely getting a hammering for sure but I wouldn't dismiss the other school issues. School ended suddenly in March before St Patricks day. For 6th class primary school pupils, they may not see their friends again before going into secondary school and coupled with the idea of social distancing is here to remain, they probably won't even be able to have a class party during the summer. Definitely not the biggest problem at all but it might lead to social and emotional issues.

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 15 April 2020 @ 08:00 hrs. CET.

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-04-15.png?itok=XvxV1huf

I think it is fair to say that the barchart for daily cases in Europe is now on the downslope.

But over 20,000 daily cases will still result in much heartbreak and loss.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Have reports from Italy not said that the Russian support was essentially just a publicity stunt with nothing useful added, and in some cases actually hindering efforts? Also, watermarked Russian Defence ministry - reliable source

I don't think there's any value except a propaganda one from firetrucks spraying roads with disinfectant. You are wasting tonnes of disinfectant where the risk of infection is miniscule. Very likely they are sprayed with nothing more than water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Which country is winning today?

The Us over pay their share X3. Well within their rights to hold back any and all financial contributions.
    Coveney is a small fish in a big pond.

How so? 15% of Global GDP and 15% of WHO budget.

And they are within their rights, but morally they are completely bankrupt. All to stroke the ego of a narcissist

What?

So, the actual spreading of it means nothing, just once the teens who may catch it have no underlying condition?

I am concerned about the spreading of it among the teens...

Isn't that what all this social-distancing is about, or have I missed something?

How so? 15% of Global GDP and 15% of WHO budget.

And they are within their rights, but morally they are completely bankrupt. All to stroke the ego of a narcissist

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2020/04/08/which-countries-are-the-biggest-financial-contributors-to-the-world-health-organization-infographic/amp/

What?

So, the actual spreading of it means nothing, just once the teens who may catch it have no underlying condition?

I am concerned about the spreading of it among the teens...

Isn't that what all this social-distancing is about, or have I missed something?

I think what people forget is that transmission of the virus is very frequent in families. So selfish people who ignore containment measures are more likely to contract Covid-19, bring it home, spread it around and kill their granny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

So the US is killing the messenger that they ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Aww now come on Luke... the is a 'smart guy' with a big brain (at least he thinks so) :rolleyes:

Orangey and the Brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Why would we want to hold Trump to account. We aren't living in America.

By account I mean criticise, surely you are not saying we can't by extension criticise the Chinese governments actions either because we don't live in China.

Mathematician John Horton Conway, a ‘magical genius’ known for inventing the ‘Game of Life,’ dies at age 82 https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/04/14/mathematician-john-horton-conway-magical-genius-known-inventing-game-life-dies-age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy taking disinfection very seriously including roads with help from Russia.

LOMBARDY, ITALY APRIL 14, 2020: A video screen grab shows a Russian military expert carrying out disinfection procedures at a hospital in Brignano Gera d'Adda outside Bergamo.

Servicemen of the Russian Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Protection Troops in cooperation with Italian counterparts have successfully disinfected healthcare institutions in 55 cities and towns of Bergamo,
    • namely 59 buildings and facilities,
    • over 370,000sqm of indoor premises
    • and more than 45,000sqm of hard-top roads.

509656.jpg

Laughable publicity stunt.

And Russia now in an extraordinary crisis according to Putin.

Should have focused more on the internal onslaught instead of denying it publicly for 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

khalessi wrote: »
    Conditions which heretofore were not an issue to deal with could be now. As I stated elsewhere asthma, CF, diabetes psoriasis (depending on the medications) and being overweight are comorbidities of Covid19.

Conditions we would have dealt with but not with huge concern now could be a major concern if the person catches Covid19.

How many people to put in a room? How to space them? Prevention of cross infection, deep cleaning of rooms daily all issues to be dealt with that the Dept has left to a local level if I understand correctly

Would you be happy sending your child into an exam in the middle of a pandemic. They need a leaving cert but they also need to be well enough to use it

Where do you think children are gonna be in the middle of June/July. Stuck inside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Where do you think children are gonna be in the middle of June/July. Stuck inside ?

Hopefully with their families carrying out social isolation. Mine will be

I see Conor Mcgregor is objecting to the formation of the new government. :rolleyes: Absolute member of mensa.

Well, some countries are actually helping others in trying to deal with this dangerous Global Pandemic, and those countries should be thanked for their solidarity.

Another country is trying to hamstring the W.H.O and is also threatening Ireland with trade sanctions over AirBus to make us even poorer. I am not aware of any Irish contribution to AirBus, but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

They won’t kill the messenger. He’ll laughably attempt to mock and bully the WHO. The rest of the world will just fund it.

This is all about a very well flagged politics of cutting the US off from multilateralism and international organisations.

Trump has been all about isolating the US, closing borders, breaking away from cooperative agreements, cancelling trade deals and even domestically he has completely undermined cooperation and federal infrastructure of government to the point that you’ve now got two councils of states emerging in either coast trying to coordinate emergency efforts bypassing the federal government.

On top of that he has it in for the EU for no logical reason.

He’s a massive fragile ego. He likes to control from the centre like he’s running a company and have no discussion or listen to other opinions. He thinks congress should be his complaint board of directors who just rubber stamp and implement his decisions and he a jingoist who doesn’t like foreigners. It is as simple as that.

The US is allowing this guy and others to dismantle all of the things that are good and decent about its democracy and it seems most people just don’t care and are engaged in “us vs them” trench war, while the whole thing slides down the pan.

I’ve given up even watching anymore. It’s like a slow motion train wreck and nobody seems capable of snapping out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Have you got any articles about Xi Jinping ? The virus didn't come from the Us.

You'll asphyxiate if you keep your head in the sand any longer.

News websites reporting deaths of under 50's saying 'fit father 48' or 'fit 30 year old' and then you see the picture and it is of someone who is over weight and obese. I'm sorry they passed away but they were never 'fit'.

I think what people forget is that transmission of the virus is very frequent in families. So selfish people who ignore containment measures are more likely to contract Covid-19, bring it home, spread it around and kill their granny.

Exactly

I am wondering how we can contain this by bringing many many teens together for exams, and how they do not transmit the virus to anyone else....

That is the antithesis of social-distancing.

The department may be able to put their measures in place, and hopefully all goes well, but they cannot just then allow teens to leave their test centers and expect all to be fine and other measures in place to make this all grand..

This whole LC is just a little too risky if you ask me.....

Unless they can guarantee ALL students won't be transmitting the virus......?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I see Conor Mcgregor is objecting to the formation of the new government. :rolleyes: Absolute member of mensa.

Has he not got some fight or something that he should be training for?

What are his objections? That SF are not in it?

• Advertisement

So the US is killing the messenger that they ignored.

I wish we ignored WHO advice on travel bans. Many countries have at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement