Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gundog for novice owner

• 10-04-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭

After shooting for years I've decided that I want to get a gundog.

We as a family have given it due consideration and we are in a position to have a dog.

I am wondering what other shooters would recommend. I do a bit of walked up shooting, decoying and lamping.

Any recommendations on suitable breeds would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭brianfrancis45

After shooting for years I've decided that I want to get a gundog.

We as a family have given it due consideration and we are in a position to have a dog.

I am wondering what other shooters would recommend. I do a bit of walked up shooting, decoying and lamping.

Any recommendations on suitable breeds would be much appreciated.

English Springer Spaniel is the best all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

English Springer Spaniel is the best all rounder.
    I secound the Springer, I have shot over a few of them (not my own) as well as Sprockers (Springer / Cocker Spaniel cross) and Cocker Spaniels.

Like you I was late getting a working dog but I finally got one by a good stroke of luck. I already had a family dog so the house was well adjusted to the four legged addition. On this decide what way you want to treat the dog. The camps are very much divided on this subject. The dog will be either a house dog sharing its time with the family or it will be an oustside dog devoted only to hunting. Some believe working dogs can only be treated as such and should have little or no contact with the faimly others call bull on that theory. My dog is both a family pet and a working dog and she works well for me. So this can be taken into consideration as to the size of the dog etc etc.
    Dog breeds can be jack of all trades and master of some. Some like labs are steady in the hide but not so good on the rough shoot, others like Spainels are opposite. Then there are the exceptions to the rule and breed.
    Springers will stand you good, capable of working hard cover and retrieving off water. Sprockers are a smaller compact tough dog with all the attributes of a Springer but in a faster frame. The Cocker is a smaller faster dog.
    All three dogs are freindly, attentive, easy enough to train and generaly of a high prey drive. They make good family dogs and once you regularly exercise them will not be manic.
    I use my Cocker on rough shoots, in the hide and have even brought her lamping rabbits and stalking deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭airsoft tactics

What you ask just says to me that you are not ready to take a dog. You have not decided which breed you want. From my experience, a dog is not only hunting. If you want to be a responsible owner, remember that you need to be ready spend lots of your time to train, walk, take care and play all the time with your companion , not only first few month. And if this is a puppy, it will take many months of trainings and preparations before your will enjoy first hunt together. The world of hunting dogs is not only a spaniels. Many different breeds. What breed, Advice is not appropriate here. Read books, watch videos, set your mind first what you like and what you want. A dog- is only 30% hunting, 70% dog as a child under 3 years old with whom you need to be engaged all the time. Be ready for very long enjoible way together, but not simple one.

This is not aimed at the OP, but as a side comment in relation to dog ownership and the current times.
    The rescue centres are inundated with requests for dogs at the moment. This is not a good thing as they belive it is a consequence of the Covid 19 restrictions with a vast amount of the population stuck at home. Thier fear is that once this madness is over they will be a flood of dogs being handed back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Thanks for all the replies so far. I didn't want to specify a breed initially because I decided to keep an open mind.

I'm wondering has anyone had success with pointers? Such as a gsp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

For a novice I would pick a Labrador, will do everything , walked up, decoying and even lamping.

Labs also have the advantage of being easy to train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Thanks for all the replies so far. I didn't want to specify a breed initially because I decided to keep an open mind.

I'm wondering has anyone had success with pointers? Such as a gsp.

I have 2 pointers - a Vizsla and a GSP.

Great dogs and very steady, but not suited as others to decoying or lamping. More suited to big fields or bogs and brilliant to see them working.
    The GSP will track deer too.

I would recommend a springer ( or cocker or sprocker) or a lab. Will do everything you need including retrieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭airsoft tactics

I have 4.5 years old GSP. Together we hunt pheasant and pigeons. He do very good retrieving . Very good at training. In fact, it all depends only on you what you teach the dog and how much time you will allow yourself to train it. The only thing I want to advise is to take a dog from good breeders and do not be lazy to see puppy parents and even look at their work. It will be a success, since puppies with good blood are much easier to train because of the presence of good natural hunting instincts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Vizzy wrote: »
    I have 2 pointers - a Vizsla and a GSP.

Great dogs and very steady, but not suited as others to decoying or lamping. More suited to big fields or bogs and brilliant to see them working.
    The GSP will track deer too.

I would recommend a springer ( or cocker or sprocker) or a lab. Will do everything you need including retrieving.

The fact that the GSP is known as a HPR breed, it really should tick all the box's. Not knocking any dog that don't make good retrievers, just pointing out that on average most German Pointers have the natural ability to make a good retriever. So I wouldn't disregard a German Pointer as an all round dog.

My father once had an exceptional GSP as good on water as on land. Ive never owned anything that even came close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Eddie B wrote: »
    The fact that the GSP is known as a HPR breed, it really should tick all the box's. Not knocking any dog that don't make good retrievers, just pointing out that on average most German Pointers have the natural ability to make a good retriever. So I wouldn't disregard a German Pointer as an all round dog.

My father once had an exceptional GSP as good on water as on land. I've never owned anything that even came close.

Jebus, not knocking them as retrievers at all. Both of mine will retrieve to hand all day long. The Vizsla is excellent in the water ( although he took to it quite late, he was 4 when he decided to learn to swim :D) the GSP not so much.

Neither would sit still in a hide for decoying.

I don't generally need them to retrieve from water as I don't shoot duck so they suit me perfectly.

Both are excellent family dogs - gentle with kids, loyal and quite good guard dogs as well ( their bark would wake the dead)

All I am saying is that if you want a dog to hunt cover, retrieve across water, sit in a hide etc, then there are other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Personally I’m a great fan of the German Wirehair Pointer. Does everything a shorthair does but you can include water retrieves as well. The shorthairs can be a bit water shy.

Having said that, about six years ago I took a punt on a Viszla Labrador cross. I paid all of €35 for him as the bollicks that bread the litter had him in a state of neglect. I spent about €50 on a vet consultation and advice and he turned out a great pet and a good hunter. Due to the streak of lab in him he doesn’t point but shows a clear change in demeanor when on a scent an goes into a near crawl. Retrieving on land is second to none, on water he can be a bit touch and go. Best €35 I ever spent.

Personally I believe you can’t teach a dog to hunt, they do or they don’t and breeding plays a great part in that. How far you want to go with training is up to you. Personally I’m happy when the dog stays in a hide when I want him to, gets in the car when I want him to and comes back when I call him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

If you’re a novice then I’d have to say go with a lab, a good lab will do absolutely everything although they can be a bit shy of heavy cover.
    Easiest breed to train for a novice too.

A lab will be born half trained, a spaniel will due half trained!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Labrador (and I breed Springers). Go for a Lab - they're far easier to train and a much better off switch at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Really appreciate all of the replies. Would a lab be able to hunt heavy cover with some encouragement? There's alot of brambles where I hunt.

Most of the lads that shoot near me use springers because they don't have a problem with heavy cover but they're extremely energetic.

I suppose I need the dog to go after pheasants and ducks but it would be also nice to bring him on all my hunting activities like lamping and decoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Really appreciate all of the replies. Would a lab be able to hunt heavy cover with some encouragement? There's alot of brambles where I hunt.

Most of the lads that shoot near me use springers because they don't have a problem with heavy cover but they're extremely energetic.

I suppose I need the dog to go after pheasants and ducks but it would be also nice to bring him on all my hunting activities like lamping and decoying.

Yes, certainly in my experience, they will do heavy cover if they get the scent , their ears suffer a bit.

Not sure why you want a dog for lamping - but if you want a good retrieve :fox.jpg

I bring the Cocker out lamping rabbits occasionally. Handy for retriving off high banks wheather its up or down slope, saves my knees a bit.
    She'll walk at heal for me and sit for the shot (22LR LV Moderated). Suits me for the amount of rabbits I take in a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

If it is heavy cover you will hunt there isn't another breed that will touch a good springer in it. In saying that I have seen other breeds show up a spaniel that hasn't had the right training or breeding, but overall they are a great all round dog. They are extremely loyal and willing to please. All breeds have their own advantages but as an all rounder and first dog I think it is what will suit you best

Advertisement