Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy a light switch today?

Options
  • 11-04-2020 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

Need some help, please.
    Last night, one of our light switches stopped working and I need to replace it. My mrs sprayed disinfectant on it for some reason and 20mins later, light came on itself and something started to smell of burning so switched off at the mains. It's a 3 way 2 gang switch. Any idea of where I might get one today? I'm in South County Dublin. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Hi all,

Need some help, please.
    Last night, one of our light switches went bang and I need to replace it. It's a 3 way 2 gang switch. Any idea of where I might get one today? I'm in South County Dublin. Thanks.

The deal shops usually have them, not sure if they'd have to hang switch, but worth a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hi all,

Need some help, please.
    Last night, one of our light switches went bang and I need to replace it. It's a 3 way 2 gang switch. Any idea of where I might get one today? I'm in South County Dublin. Thanks.

In what way did it go bang?

Tried to switch on lights? Lights dont work now? Disintegrated into dust?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Bruthal wrote: »

It went something like......chitty chitty bang bang.........

Sorry I couldn't resist......ill leave now

alta stare wrote: »
    Sorry I couldn't resist......ill leave now

And dont come back:pac::pac::pac::D

It actually has me laughing, I must be at home too long

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dizzledizzle75

Maybe bang is wrong phrase... mrs sprayed disinfectant on it and it must have got inside as 20mins later, the light came on itself and the switch was making noises and there was a smell of something burning so switched off at mains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,461 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The deal shops usually have them, not sure if they'd have to hang switch, but worth a try

Don’t think they’d have 3 gang.

I’d be concerned by what made it go bang though.

Maybe bang is wrong phrase... mrs sprayed disinfectant on it and it must have got inside as 20mins later, the light came on itself and the switch was making noises and there was a smell of something burning so switched off at mains

If it was myself, for now, with possible difficulty getting a new one, I would put it in a fan oven at the lowest setting, 50c maybe, for half hour. Or a radiator for a couple of hours.

Once it is dry, it should be ok, but replace when possible, as arcing might have compromised the contacts.

Best course is a new one, but as I say, I myself would dry out and use for now, and test on and off a few times while listening for signs of buzzing.

Make sure the mrs doesnt spray anymore of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Hi all,

Need some help, please.
    Last night, one of our light switches stopped working and I need to replace it. My mrs sprayed disinfectant on it for some reason and 20mins later, light came on itself and something started to smell of burning so switched off at the mains. It's a 3 way 2 gang switch. Any idea of where I might get one today? I'm in South County Dublin. Thanks.

I presume you mean 3-gang 2-way?

If it was myself, for now, with possible difficulty getting a new one, I would put it in a fan oven at the lowest setting, 50c maybe, for half hour. Or a radiator for a couple of hours.

Once it is dry, it should be ok, but replace when possible, as arcing might have compromised the contacts.

Best course is a new one, but as I say, I myself would dry out and use for now, and test on and off a few times while listening for signs of buzzing.

Make sure the mrs doesnt spray anymore of them.

Just got a new one in a hardware shop in stillorgan, all sorted now, thanks

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don’t think they’d have 3 gang.

I’d be concerned by what made it go bang though.

They only had single and doubles

• Advertisement

Just got a new one in a hardware shop in stillorgan, all sorted now, thanks

Would`t mind finding one that`s open myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,102 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bruthal wrote:
    Would`t mind finding one that`s open myself.

Hardware in Donaghmede has been open every day. They seem to think that they are exempt from rules but handy if anyone is stuck

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Hardware in Donaghmede has been open every day. They seem to think that they are exempt from rules but handy if anyone is stuck

Id probably get 12 years in prison if i went from here to there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Can't believe the hardware stores in Dublin are open, almost everything is closed to public in Cork.

If anyone else is stuck:
    Mr Price usually has a range of 'status' sockets and switches and patress, plasterboard and steel boxes to tide you over.

Meteor Electrical in the North are delivering as normal.

And theres always ebay and amazon.

Advertisement