Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Zoom and other video and tele-conferencing apps

Options
  • 11-04-2020 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Was hoping to run a family quiz via zoom. Anyone who’s done this, any tips? What app/software did you use for the quiz?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hello all,

Was hoping to run a family quiz via zoom. Anyone who’s done this, any tips? What app/software did you use for the quiz?

Thanks.

https://twitter.com/paddyraffcomedy/status/1248603669676699652?s=09

I'll just leave this with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

What apps are best for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭ratracer

We’re gonna try it on Microsoft Teams this evening.

ratracer wrote: »
    We’re gonna try it on Microsoft Teams this evening.

One person going to be the quiz master or are you using an app?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭ratracer

One person going to be the quiz master or are you using an app?

It’ll be one person being the quiz master. That’s not me, so I don’t know how it will work yet, but plenty of fun trying anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

We've done 2 now, both on Zoom. Different quiz master for each one. Some households have 1 team member, some have 4, but it's all just a bit of fun! Integrity is key, questions asked in each round and answers given out and marked by yourself, so if you've a known cheater, don't invite them!

Scores totted at the end by quiz master. Zoom was great because you can show the camera feed of 25 participants at once on the same screen, whereas with Teams it's the last 4 people who have spoken who show up.

It's good craic and would recommend it. We'll be having our third quiz next week! Quiz master different each time means questions vary wildly too. Some have higher standards than others!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    We've done 2 now, both on Zoom. Different quiz master for each one. Some households have 1 team member, some have 4, but it's all just a bit of fun! Integrity is key, questions asked in each round and answers given out and marked by yourself, so if you've a known cheater, don't invite them!

Scores totted at the end by quiz master. Zoom was great because you can show the camera feed of 25 participants at once on the same screen, whereas with Teams it's the last 4 people who have spoken who show up.

It's good craic and would recommend it. We'll be having our third quiz next week! Quiz master different each time means questions vary wildly too. Some have higher standards than others!

I'm doing it this evening,have never used Zoom before. We're going to have about 25 teams,does anybody know if the normal zoom ive just downloaded will allow this or is there some sort of paid version id need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

HBC08 wrote: »
    I'm doing it this evening,have never used Zoom before. We're going to have about 25 teams,does anybody know if the normal zoom ive just downloaded will allow this or is there some sort of paid version id need?

Basic Zoom normally has a limit of 40 mins for big meetings but they seem to have dropped that restriction completely. So basic version should be fine, it has been every time I've used it! Worst that happens is you get kicked out and just send a new meeting ID out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

We have done 1 family quiz with a host and 3 family teams in different houses, we used Zoom for it and it worked very well. Make sure you use the password to stop people crashing it and also turn on acceptance so you have to authorise people joining. And most importantly have fun!

@CountingCrows let us know how it goes on MS Teams in comparison to Zoom, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

We did it on House party. We all came up with 10 questions each and did a round each. It involved the younger ones as well.
    One thing if using House party is once everyone is on the session click the lock as other strangers can join your group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I was going to start a thread in relation to this for quiz questions- as my family have done a Zoom meet-up, and we did a quick quiz at the end, with a suggestion of a full quiz at a later date- but here should do.
    Can people upload sets of general quiz questions and answers that they have on their computers of old? It's be a great resource for those currently in lockdown to avail of.
    Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi all

We have been using Zoom for video conference with consultants , accountants etc and all working well

However .. we have a Board meeting coming up that will b3 cancelled cos of the lockdown. However .. not all directors are Pc savvy and so Zoom is no good here

So is there a ‘paid’ service/ company that can arrange to give me a central unique phone number and a slot that would allow me to advise all directors to ring at a certain time and join a conference call that we can all contribute as per a normal Board Meeting.

Hope I explained this properly!!!
    Many thanks in advance for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Masala wrote: »
    Hi all

We have been using Zoom for video conference with consultants , accountants etc and all working well

However .. we have a Board meeting coming up that will b3 cancelled cos of the lockdown. However .. not all directors are Pc savvy and so Zoom is no good here

So is there a ‘paid’ service/ company that can arrange to give me a central unique phone number and a slot that would allow me to advise all directors to ring at a certain time and join a conference call that we can all contribute as per a normal Board Meeting.

Hope I explained this properly!!!
    Many thanks in advance for replying

Zoom. You would have to pay for a one month sub but they offer a regular dial in number as well as the video etc.
    Less than 20 quid a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

kippy wrote: »
    Zoom. You would have to pay for a one month sub buy they offer a regular dial in number as well as the video etc.

Cool.. I didn’t know that. I have a paid annual fee for my email masala@mycompany.ie. Costing me €11.99 a month. Can I set itup on my email and invite 12 others to call in??

Does it cost the person dialing any premium fees???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cool.. I didn’t know that. I have a paid annual fee for my email masala@mycompany.ie. Costing me €11.99 a month. Can I set itup on my email and invite 12 others to call in??

Just creat a meeting in Zoom, copy out the details and email/what's app/text/Facebook/post whatever the details to whomever you want.
    List of zoom numbers here:
    You just need to provide conference ID and password
    https://zoom.us/zoomconference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Failing this you could try Pgi

https://ie.pgi.com/

BT Global conferencing also a high end conferencing service with concierge.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Our company has been using conference365[.ie] It’s an Irish landline number but same cost per minute to dial in from Ireland/Europe/USA. I haven’t set up a call but it’s very straightforward to dial in.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Threads merged? I was in a thread about using vid conference apps for family quizzes, now it's routed into a generic one for the apps.
    Before I start a thread already existent (or appropriate), is there a thread somewhere for people to post quiz 'questions and answers' that they've used before to upload for use in family video meet-ups?

I ran our first family quiz last night in Zoom. Worked well and was good craic. I’ve got a PowerPoint of Irish based questions if anyone wants them let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Threads merged? I was in a thread about using vid conference apps for family quizzes, now it's routed into a generic one for the apps.
    Before I start a thread already existent (or appropriate), is there a thread somewhere for people to post quiz 'questions and answers' that they've used before to upload for use in family video meet-ups?

I was wondering what was going on. These were obviously two very different requests and my reply was based on only one of them; the thread makes very little sense now to read back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

A meeting via zoom and a quiz. Would highly recommend. Just seeing everyone was good but the slagging was great. One round about my mother (who knows nana best?) nearly caused a row but the favourite by far was "who wore this outfit?" with the cringiest outfits a person could ever see on show . Loads of family members howling at that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

Hello all,

Thanks.
    I’d love a copy please! Sounds great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Has anyone tried using jackbox party on zoom, does it work well if people are using the same device for the zoom call and for inputting their answers. I'm thinking they're probably better off with 2 devices

I ran our first family quiz last night in Zoom. Worked well and was good craic. I’ve got a PowerPoint of Irish based questions if anyone wants them let me know.

If you can attach it here I’d love a copy. Going to try one later with a few friends/family on Duo.

If you can attach it here I’d love a copy. Going to try one later with a few friends/family on Duo.
    Yeah, maybe a new thread specifically for posting them might be useful, depending on demand I suppose.
    Looking at some online websites last night for free pub quiz Q + A's I noticed majority were UK slanted, so picking and choosing from different ones shouldn't be difficult; though if people wanted to upload here (or on a dedicated thread), it would make it easier. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The main problem with Zoom is the 40 minute timeout.

I find Google Meets brilliant but you need a GSuite account to host a meeting but a lot of teachers/business owners/domain owners wtih Google have a GSuite account.

Whereby is very easy to set up too but not as good as Google Meets.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭comput1

If you’ve suspected cheaters- get everyone to hold answer sheet up or send you a quick photo of their answer sheet at the end of each round to lock them in and prevent changing answers 😜

Golfwidow wrote: »
    I’d love a copy please! Sounds great!!
    JTMan wrote: »
    The main problem with Zoom is the 40 minute timeout.

PM me your email address and I'll send it on. BTW our quiz lasted 90 minutes, Zoom isn't enforcing the 40 minute limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Did it on Sat night with about 20 teams.
    Zoom worked very well and the 40 min thing seems to be gone (quiz went on for 2 hrs)

Mighty craic with people in different parts of the world,some having beers for breakfast!

Advertisement