Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young bush tomato plants bit leggy with small leaves

Options
  • 11-04-2020 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Tumbling toms they got soaked, more so than I had realised at the time, so they were drowning a bit. Repotted them in fresh dry compost. They are growing with plenty of side shoots starting to appear but the leaves are small and scraggy so is this a case of leave and hope or can any action be taken to give them more health and robustness

As ever excuse the shoddy pic but you get the idea.

33Rss.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Have you had them outside the last week?
    They look frost/cold damaged to me. Might be best to start with new ones.
    It's way too early for tomato plants to be outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No they've been inside at night.

Must have gotten waterlogged so..for the small cost of replacing them i wouldn't persevere with them.

Yeah probably right - I'll get another few. That said I'll keep them anyway cos I'm like that (see what becomes of them)! :D

Lol Sod's law says they'll do better than the new ones!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Any chance they got even a wif of selective weed killer (2-4D type of thing)?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Are you buying plants online was looking for a few myself but all garden centres closed around me

I got those before the shutdown, Lidl have had small pots in stock in recent weeks. They are the only place I know that sells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

I got those before the shutdown, Lidl have had small pots in stock in recent weeks. They are the only place I know that sells them.

Sound I'll have a look the next day im in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

bizidea wrote: »
    Are you buying plants online was looking for a few myself but all garden centres closed around me

Garden centres are closed but quite a few are open for taking orders for delivery. Check website/social media for your local ones. I got tomato plants, strawberries and compost etc delivered a few days ago in Galway.

• Advertisement

Just a Lidl up date - the Tramore Road branch in Waterford is basically exhausted of seeds except for string variety beans - they always fail to sell Ireland doesn't like beans is seems

No tomato plants but a lot of cucumbers :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Jeeezzz......put my tomato seedlings (rocket, spinach and pak choi)out in the early morning sun. Just went out there........it's "freezing".

Whipped them back in pronto like. It's way too cool compared to last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I'd be interested to know where tomato and courgette plants are available in the Fingal/East Meath area, as Aldi/Lidl didn't have those in seed packs and the seeds I had left over from last year failed to germinate. My local Lidl didn't have the plants that were advertised:(

It's not too late to grow from seed, so try some online seed companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

It's not too late to grow from seed, so try some online seed companies.

If you can be bothered - example Suttons Seeds...

You are now in queue
    You are in queue for suttons.co.uk. When it is your turn, you will have 10 minutes to enter the website.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Been there with Suttons last week.
    Phenomenal stuff......

One idea might be to take a tomato half it/slice it and "plant" it, seeds exposed to the compost/earth and leave it in a sunny spot in your house. It might take.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just the individual tomato seeds on their own will germinate no problem. I've been eating the first few cherry tomatoes I sowed a couple of months ago! Oh, also - if you let the stalk "crawl" and touch the soil, roots will spring out at the knots, and you'll get lots of plants from just one seed. :)

I have one on the vine which is being ripened and will give this go for sure. Also trying to regrow the base of lettuce head in the same way.

Just an update on this,

353kt.jpg

Looked a bit unhappy in the nippy wind this morning so took it back in!

It's come on well since the start of this thread. Loads of fresh growth at the top end it'll be very dense in a month.

• Advertisement

Good stuff! Amazing what a bit of heat does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

very good
    I have tomato plants in the polytunnel and I just cannot get them to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

very good
    I have tomato plants in the polytunnel and I just cannot get them to grow.

How long are they in, and have you been feeding them? We had some very cold nights recently which might have stalled things if they were recently planted out. The daytime heat should be getting them growing now if they are getting enough water and nutrients though.

Advertisement