Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosti help

Options
  • 11-04-2020 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So i had a lovely breakfast a few months back and after googling around i figured out it was a Swiss dish called a rosti...

Never made it before, so looking for help from anyone on here who has...

The main query i have, is it ok to cook/parboil the potato the night before and leave it in the fridge?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I think it's raw grated potato with the liquid squeezed out of it, towel dried, seasoned and fried in patties......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's two camps regarding rösti. One is to use raw grated potatoes only and the other to use parboiled potatoes, and for the latter it's actually recommended to parboil them and leave them in the fridge overnight, makes them easier to grate. The only downside to the parboiling method I'd see is that it's easy to over cook them, especially with the common varieties of potato we get here. You really need quite waxy potatoes for these otherwise they just fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I get great results from raw potatoes - I've tried pre cooked too.
    Peel and grate potatoes.
    Put in teatowel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can (keep for pot plants).
    Season with salt and pepper and toss to loosen up with hands.
    Spread in medium hot pan with oil and/or butter - don't squish down.
    Cook for about 10 minutes.
    Use oiled plate over pan to flip over.
    Slide rosti back in pan with more oil/butter.
    Cook for another 10 minutes.
    Flip over onto plate to serve.

To be honest, time I used cooked potatoes, the result wasn't that different.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Planet X wrote: »
    I think it's raw grated potato with the liquid squeezed out of it, towel dried, seasoned and fried in patties......

I always fill the pan to make one large rosti

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

I cheat by getting them in Marks and Spencers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement