Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on vehicle not yet registered in Ireland

• 11-04-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

[split from Classic Cars: Vehicle bought without V5C]

I'm still trying to get the car registered in my sisters name in London. There was a bit of back and forth between herself and the DVLA a few weeks back when they asked for more details. Now I'm not even sure if the DVLA is open and running. In a few weeks, I'll be 3 months unregistered.

Also, when my car insurance needs to be renewed in June, does anyone know if they'll give me insurance if the car is not yet registered in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It'll be down to the individual insurer.

If an insurer insures a foreign registered vehicle for a period longer than 42 days, they are under obligation to report it to the Revenue. Whether the Revenue does anything with that info is up to them.

I currently have insurance on a foreign registered classic, but they wouldn't issue an insurance certificate. Under the circumstances I outlined to them for reasons it wasn't (nor could not be presented), it was added to the policy and covered on the basis of it being 'laid-up'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭CPTM

Is there anything I can do then do you think? Say if June comes along and my current insurance expires and 123.ie refuse to renew without an irish reg number, does that mean I have a car which I can't register here and can't insure here and so I can't drive here? This is a car I brought to Ireland to use as a family car (baby born 7 days ago), not a classic car for leisure. It's such a pity there's nobody can look at my individual case. It's a nightmare. The system in place allows things to work in one particular way and there's no way outside that for people who stand to lose 10s of thousands of euros because of a logbook error on the uk garage side. If I can't drive this car I suppose I'll have to write it off and purchase something for 400 euro so that I can do the shopping and have something for emergencies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Shop around, someone will insure it.

Advertisement