Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I followed it since January and I would say that a lot of information was made available on the situation in Wuhan. The profile of victims was well established, we knew that most children were asymptomatic for example, just the fact Italy had such a high number of at risk individuals caused a lot of deaths, which triggered knee jerk reaction globally.

Somebody said to me that we were lucky in seeing what happened in Lombardy. My reply was that we were unlucky.

How would we have reacted if the first Irish case of Corona had been Brady’s Ham plant in Kildare.
    One person with symptoms but at least quarter (80 so far) of the workforce infected and showing no symptoms. I don't think we would have shut the schools and locked down the country.

MadYaker wrote: »
    It’s amazing how many experts there are on boards that know better than a team of scientists and doctors with hundreds of collective years experience.

You say that as if all the experts are saying the same thing on this or on any subject.

I guess if RTE is your only source of information it would be easy to come to that conclusion. Maybe comforting too!

But that's the point of this forum? We mightn't agree but we're free to discuss and debate.

MadYaker wrote: »
    It’s amazing how many experts there are on boards that know better than a team of scientists and doctors with hundreds of collective years experience.

Looking at these numbers where would suggest the danger is?

Age # % of deaths

15-24 1 0.06
    25-34 5 0.28
    35-44 13 0.74
    45-54 26 1.48
    55-64 72 4.09
    65-74 249 14.14
    75-84 599 34.01
    85+ 796 45.20

1761 100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Somebody said to me that we were lucky in seeing what happened in Lombardy. My reply was that we were unlucky.

How would we have reacted if the first Irish case of Corona had been Brady’s Ham plant in Kildare.
    One person with symptoms but at least quarter (80 so far) of the workforce infected and showing no symptoms. I don't think we would have shut the schools and locked down the country.

From the WHO

"On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days."

So many of them will be on their way to getting very, very sick from about today.
    So it would likely have scared the **** out of us and we'd have locked down anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

gabeeg wrote: »
    From the WHO

"On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days."

So many of them will be on their way to getting very, very sick from about today.
    So it would likely have scared the **** out of us and we'd have locked down anyway

Wasn't there another cluster at a meat plant earlier in the outbreak where the vast majority were also asymptomatic at the time of testing positive? Did many of them get very very sick? I remember people saying the same thing, "just wait" but I dont remember hearing any further updates about hospitalisations or deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Wasn't there another cluster at a meat plant earlier in the outbreak where the vast majority were also asymptomatic at the time of testing positive? Did many of them get very very sick? I remember people saying the same thing, "just wait" but I dont remember hearing any further updates about hospitalisations or deaths.

Being asymptomatic does not mean the cannot spread the virus to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

john4321 wrote: »
    I'm not highlighting this part to be confrontational only just to discuss. Did we really know this in detail in March? I didn't think we knew a lot about the virus until it hit Europe (Italy) from what I can remember.

Yes, we knew enough to choose a better path from the outset:
    [url](https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112899489)[/url]

Groupthink, unwillingess of institutions to change course and no small amount of hysteria have locked us into the current path, and it's going to be really difficult to change anything now, with the sunk capital invested in the current approach.

Not an attack on you personally, but I posted four months ago how your question would emerge: (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113247431)

"In a few year's time, you'll be telling one another that the government acted on the best data they had and that you always privately thought the lockdown went a bit to far.

It'll be the new 'we all partied'."

The only way to mentally reconcile changing course with the vast waste of what's been done to date is to pretend that in retrospect it was the only reasonable course of action at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Nermal wrote: »
    [url](https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112899489)[/url]

Groupthink, unwillingess of institutions to change course and no small amount of hysteria have locked us into the current path, and it's going to be really difficult to change anything now, with the sunk capital invested in the current approach.

Not an attack on you personally, but I posted four months ago how your question would emerge: (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113247431)

"In a few year's time, you'll be telling one another that the government acted on the best data they had and that you always privately thought the lockdown went a bit to far.

The only way to mentally reconcile changing course with the vast waste of what's been done to date is to pretend that in retrospect it was the only reasonable course of action at the time.

You seem to be of the belief that lockdown was the wrong decision. The beautiful downward slope would disagree with you when compared with countries that didn't want to "sink costs"

Now we are stuck, I agree, mostly a failure of ambition from what I have seen here. There are either the lovers of the status quo or the corona deniers "we have to get back to normal"..neither approach solves the current problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Being asymptomatic does not mean the cannot spread the virus to others.

I never said anything about the spread. The workers are aware they have the virus so presumably are isolating. I was replying to the poster who said that so many of those workers are going to get very very sick and that it would scare people into lockdown if it happened earlier. Doesn't seem to have happened in previous outbreaks at meat plants is all I'm saying.

I never said anything about the spread. The workers are aware they have the virus so presumably are isolating. I was replying to the poster who said that so many of those workers are going to get very very sick and that it would scare people into lockdown if it happened earlier. Doesn't seem to have happened in previous outbreaks at meat plants is all I'm saying.

Exactly, the asymptomatic workers will most likely remain asymptomatic.
    The one with symptoms may have symptoms akin to a bad flu. They's a possibility they may require hospitalisation but unless they are over 80 or have a serious pre existing condition they will probably be fine.

• Advertisement

So, lockdown didn't work so what will we do???

I know more but better lockdown.

So, lockdown didn't work so what will we do???

I know more but better lockdown.

What do you propose? Copy Sweden?

i_surge wrote: »
    What do you propose? Copy Sweden?

I would have thought my opinion was obvious??

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

It should be reflected in ICU numbers if they are seriously ill.
    In fact even though we've had close to 1000 cases in the last month it doesn't seem like ICU numbers went up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

National debt now €231 billion

https://www.ntma.ie/business-areas/funding-and-debt-management/statistics

It will be 250 billion by Christmas. Who's meant to pay it? Unless the world completely changes, this Pandemic is going to be extremely expensive.

I told my daughter today that her generation will pay for it. What happens if multinationals exit Ireland, who will lend to us then?

More lockdowns, no tourism, how long can this go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think today is the first weekday Sweden have reported no deaths; they don't report on weekends. Their daily death rate had been falling since the peak in April and is now below many EU countries though still above the EU average. On the other hand, daily detected cases are now sharply increasing and have been for the last 10 days or so. The rise is largely among the 20-29 age group.

https://www.thelocal.se/20200806/its-a-bad-sign-sweden-sees-renewed-rise-in-infections-among-young-adults

No. If they're working in a factory they're unlikely to be old or infirm and therefore most if not all would not require hospitalisation.

Many probably got sick, but that's hardly newsworthy.

I thought those that gave it the "it's just a flu" were bad enough, but some of you are now drifting into "it's not even a mild cold" territory now.

These people have been falsely labeled asymptomatic. There's no way of knowing how they'll fare in the end, but in the incubation period all of them are simply pre-symptomatic.

I would have thought my opinion was obvious??

Yes.

So you want to go into a lighter form of lockdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

mcsean2163 wrote: »

It will be 250 billion by Christmas. Who's meant to pay it? Unless the world completely changes, this Pandemic is going to be extremely expensive.

I told my daughter today that her generation will pay for it. What happens if multinationals exit Ireland, who will lend to us then?

That's approximately €50,000 per man, woman and child. For a small island on the periphery of Europe, we've chalked up a lot of debt. Hopefully our debt won't result in further death.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

mcsean2163 wrote: »

We borrowed 231 billion since March.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112899489

Just on the first part of your reply where you link back to your post from March were you aware at the time the article you linked to at the time was taken from a conspiracy theory website?

https://truepundit.com/stanford-professor-data-indicates-were-severely-overreacting-to-coronavirus/

https://www.newsguardtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/TruePundit.pdf

522412.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

john4321 wrote: »
    Just on the first part of your reply where you link back to your post from March were you aware at the time the article you linked to at the time was taken from a conspiracy theory website?

The first link in the article is directly to the piece written by Ioannidis, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

I think today is the first weekday Sweden have reported no deaths; they don't report on weekends. Their daily death rate had been falling since the peak in April and is now below many EU countries though still above the EU average. On the other hand, daily detected cases are now sharply increasing and have been for the last 10 days or so. The rise is largely among the 20-29 age group.

https://www.thelocal.se/20200806/its-a-bad-sign-sweden-sees-renewed-rise-in-infections-among-young-adults

And to think that there are people posting here who say that the Swedish approach is leading to herd immunity....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

The first link in the article is directly to the piece written by Ioannidis, here.

Appreciate the reply just had a look at the article referenced and this in my opinion is what is wrong with the original site you quoted.

On the statnews site the headline of the opinion piece was:

"A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data"

The site you linked to on truepundit the headline was:

"Stanford Professor: Data Indicates We’re Severely Overreacting To Coronavirus"

Hope you can see from just that example how things can be twisted to suit a narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Ce he sin wrote: »
    And to think that there are people posting here who say that the Swedish approach is leading to herd immunity....
    And to think that there are people posting here who still believe that the number one goal of the Swedish approach was to lead to herd immunity....

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭greyday

And to think that there are people posting here who still believe that the number one goal of the Swedish approach was to lead to herd immunity....
    And you don't?

greyday wrote: »
    And you don't?

I don't, they are no where near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

greyday wrote: »
    And you don't?
    And you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Unlikely Sweden will achieve herd immunity any time soon and they said it might happen but its not the primary goal.

The primary goal is to live with the virus and leave as much of the country open.

They appear to have got a handle on deaths and ICU numbers which is likely to do with better cocooning of vulnerable groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭greyday

Unlikely Sweden will achieve herd immunity any time soon and they said it might happen but its not the primary goal.

The primary goal is to live with the virus and leave as much of the country open.

They appear to have got a handle on deaths and ICU numbers which is likely to do with better cocooning of vulnerable groups.

I have a bridge to sell very cheap, are you interested?
    There is a very good argument that the Swedes have reported at least less then 2000 deaths from Covid than they should have while we have reported more deaths than we should have, the bridge is made of gold.

Advertisement