Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

What I think we're seeing now is a gradual move in Ireland towards the Swedish philosophy of sustainable long term measures. The virus will be here for a while and we need to learn to live with it. Some predicted this early on in this thread.

RTE: Acting CMO says 'we will have to live' with virus threat

What we're learning is that you can shut down everything and indeed reduce cases and therefore deaths, but then what? Short term attempts at eradication, though politically attractive, are ultimately unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭greyday

What I think we're seeing now is a gradual move in Ireland towards the Swedish philosophy of sustainable long term measures. The virus will be here for a while and we need to learn to live with it. Some predicted this early on in this thread.

RTE: Acting CMO says 'we will have to live' with virus threat

What we're learning is that you can shut down everything and indeed reduce cases and therefore deaths, but then what? Short term attempts at eradication, though politically attractive, are ultimately unrealistic.

I believe the plan was always to do this, reduce deaths and infections to sustainable levels and then revert to a form of normality while practicing social distancing and hand hygiene, I don't think they made a secret that this was their preferred approach, localised lockdowns when infections threaten to get out of control for future outbreaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

greyday wrote: »
    I believe the plan was always to do this, reduce deaths and infections to sustainable levels and then revert to a form of normality while practicing social distancing and hand hygiene, I don't think they made a secret that this was their preferred approach, localised lockdowns when infections threaten to get out of control for future outbreaks.

I believe the original plan was to lockdown to prevent icu beds being overburdened then slowly open up.

At some point the goalposts grew castors and it changed. Its become a pointless game of whacamole with hugely damaging and punitive lockdowns that driven small business even further into the ground, a gross overreaction to pockets of mainly asymptomatic cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The flattening of the curve got lost in translation and became complete elimination of the curve, which also means complete elimination of many small businesses and the travel/tourism industry - which was the the largest single employment category globally and driver of 10% of global GDP.

I believe the original plan was to lockdown to prevent icu beds being overburdened then slowly open up.

At some point the goalposts grew castors and it changed. Its become a pointless game of whacamole with hugely damaging and punitive lockdowns that driven small business even further into the ground, a gross overreaction to pockets of mainly asymptomatic cases.
    Yes, the original "flattening the curve" strategy where the object was not to eradicate the virus (which of course was never possible) but to stop hospitals being overrun.

It got switched to an eradication policy at some point. I think the reason for this is that it is comparatively simple to keep case numbers down. Just maintain the lockdown and numbers will fall. The problem is, of course, once they are down they don't stay down without continuing restrictions. Moreover, it becomes a political target that pulls the focus away from wider issues. The country is paralysed, afraid to do anything for fear cases will rise again. This is unsustainable.

The politically easy thing, lockdown, is unsustainable. The sustainable thing (expanding ICU capacity and managing cases) is politically difficult. Sweden had to go through a tough period where they were being criticised bot internally and externally until they proved themselves.

The problem is that while people at the top in Ireland may now realise what they are doing is unsustainable and counter-productive, they may not know how to perform the u-turn necessary to put things right, and the whole thing may come to a chaotic end.

• Advertisement

The problem with this is that a given level of restriction does not translate to a particular level of infections or deaths. Restrictions instead affect the rate at which daily cases rise or fall.

Once a given level of restrictions is sufficient to cause daily new cases to fall over time, then it is just a matter of continuing the same level and cases will continue to fall to negligible levels.

However once restrictions are lifted a bit, cases start to rise again and keep rising. This is what is happening now in Ireland. There's no permanence in low levels brought about by restrictions and at the same time the restrictions that are needed to keep numbers from rising are not sustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

The politically easy thing, lockdown, is unsustainable. The sustainable thing (expanding ICU capacity and managing cases) is politically difficult. Sweden had to go through a tough period where they were being criticised bot internally and externally until they proved themselves.

The problem is that while people at the top in Ireland may now realise what they are doing is unsustainable and counter-productive, they may not know how to perform the u-turn necessary to put things right, and the whole thing may come to a chaotic end.

Johan Giesecke made this exact point in a number of interviews early on. Politicians like to look strong by taking decisive action i. e. lock down. But he asked how you can then get out of lock down.
    In this country it will probably be in the form of a cross party committee which recommends easing of restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't know if anyone has posted this but seems like Sweden have made huge mistakes when it comes to false positive testing

https://www.thelocal.se/20200825/sweden-raises-alarm-after-3700-people-test-false-positive-for-coronavirus/amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gmisk wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has posted this but seems like Sweden have made huge mistakes when it comes to false positive testing

https://www.thelocal.se/20200825/sweden-raises-alarm-after-3700-people-test-false-positive-for-coronavirus/amp

Looks more like Sweden are yet another victim of Chinese poor quality, and it's not 'Sweden' that has made a mistake. Discovering a manufacturer has misrepresented a product is not making a mistake.

The Swedish labs are to be commended for the due diligence QC that discovered the potential problem.

Great spin by misrepresenting what the article is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You can only lead a horse to water.

Especially when that horse only wants to stay ploughing old ground that has been ploughed to death, and is determined to avoid any other sources of water bar one.

• Advertisement

Other than the first priority being to prevent our health service being being over-run, that would be how I see it as well.
    Some appear to believe that the aim of lockdown was to eradicate the virus.
    On just one area alone, anybody that believes that has very little understanding of the geography or history of a 500km open border between ourselves and our neighbouring jurisdiction of Northern Ireland imo.

Johan Giesecke made this exact point in a number of interviews early on. Politicians like to look strong by taking decisive action i. e. lock down. But he asked how you can then get out of lock down.
    In this country it will probably be in the form of a cross party committee which recommends easing of restrictions.

On Johan Giesecke`s recent history of crystal ball readings for his own country, I would not have much faith in him where other are concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

cnocbui wrote: »
    Looks more like Sweden are yet another victim of Chinese poor quality, and it's not 'Sweden' that has made a mistake. Discovering a manufacturer has misrepresented a product is not making a mistake.

The Swedish labs are to be commended for the due diligence QC that discovered the potential problem.

Great spin by misrepresenting what the article is about.
    I am pretty sure in early April around 90 people were given the wrong results in Ireland and people lost their minds calling it a scandal etc.

Here we have Sweden giving 3,700 wrong results over space of 5 months! and there's barely a shrug....that was more my point.
    I linked to the article it is just my take on it not "spin".

charlie14 wrote: »
    On Johan Giesecke`s recent history of crystal ball readings for his own country, I would not have much faith in him where other are concerned.

You still upset because I called you out on spoofing about z score normalisation and the rest?

You have no faith in him, but the WHO seem to?
    Members of the Strategic and Technical Advisory Group for Infectious Hazards

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/strategic-and-technical-advisory-group-for-infectious-hazards/members/biographies/en/index2.html

You still upset because I called you out on spoofing about z score normalisation and the rest?

You have no faith in him, but the WHO seem to?
    Members of the Strategic and Technical Advisory Group for Infectious Hazards

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/strategic-and-technical-advisory-group-for-infectious-hazards/members/biographies/en/index2.html

Upset.:D
    No I just became bored with someone who just runs around in circles attempting to avoid anything that else that is at variance with their belief.

Giesecke`s involvement with the WHO is a bit historical at this stage don`t you think ?
    Even the photograph in that link looks dated.

I was referring to his crystal ball reading as revealed by recently discovered emails in relation to the epidemic in Sweden.

Interesting that he now teaches at the Karolinska Institute.
    Do you believe he will comply with that institutes recommendations for staff and students on the wearing of face mask ?

No I just became bored with someone who just runs around in circles attempting to avoid anything that else that is at variance with their belief.

Giesecke`s involvement with the WHO is a bit historical at this stage don`t you think ?

I was referring to his crystal ball reading as revealed by recently discovered emails in relation to the epidemic in Sweden.

Do you believe he will comply with that institutes recommendations for staff and students on the wearing of face mask ?

Have to say I didn't think you would beat your description of a percentage as a mathematical model or was it mathematical theory but this comes close.

So, you think this fortune teller "now teaches at the Karolinska Institute" and you wonder if a staff member (no, Professor Emeritus) there wears a face mask?

I'm sure his colleagues who are on the Nobel Prize Committee for Medicine would lend him one.

You are right about one thing, this is getting tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

His belief that all countries will wind up the same looks impossible now. Full of ****, arrogant curmudgeon would be my best assessment.

i_surge wrote: »
    His belief that all countries will wind up the same looks impossible now. Full of ****, arrogant curmudgeon would be my best assessment.

Well maybe not at country level but several regions are seeing big drops in numbers which could indicate herd immunity.
    News reports (I know, not a great source) regarding Manaus infections dropping rapidly although they had paid a huge price already.
    Rough calculations if those deaths were replicated in Ireland would mean 10K here. Although living conditions would be significantly different between Brasil and Ireland.

And re. Sweden, I do think they are hoping for herd immunity. It would be foolish not to hope for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Well maybe not at country level but several regions are seeing big drops in numbers which could indicate herd immunity.
    News reports (I know, not a great source) regarding Manaus infections dropping rapidly although they had paid a huge price already.
    Rough calculations if those deaths were replicated in Ireland would mean 10K here. Although living conditions would be significantly different between Brasil and Ireland.

And re. Sweden, I do think they are hoping for herd immunity. It would be foolish not to hope for that.

Thanks

His contention was that even with lockdown all countries will wind up about the same and that you are only screwing your economy needlessly, "you will see" with an arrogant smugness.

Impossible at this stage imo looking at Iceland compared to Brasil for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

There's been another 4 covid reinfections found. This time in the Netherlands.

https://www.businessinsider.com/four-coronavirus-reinfection-cases-reported-in-the-netherlands-2020-8

• Advertisement

There's been another 4 covid reinfections found. This time in the Netherlands.

https://www.businessinsider.com/four-coronavirus-reinfection-cases-reported-in-the-netherlands-2020-8
    Good news for hopes of a vaccine if comparatively small numbers are getting reinfected.

Good news for hopes of a vaccine if comparatively small numbers are getting reinfected.

Professor Hendrik Streeck in an interview I watched a few months ago speculated that
    partial immunity would result from infection by any of the corona viruses. Seems these reinfections are asymptomatic.

The big question is are the patients contagious.

The link if anybody is interested, it's long.

https://youtu.be/vrL9QKGQrWk

i_surge wrote: »
    Thanks

His contention was that even with lockdown all countries will wind up about the same and that you are only screwing your economy needlessly, "you will see" with an arrogant smugness.
    I know he comes across as arrogant or cold/dispasionate but I think that's just the Swedish way.
    I also saw him nearly sneer at a question.
    Impossible at this stage imo looking at Iceland compared to Brasil for example.
    This is the million dollar question!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Finland has spent a few million euros testing kids in school for coranavirus up to the age of 10. The goal was to see if there is any evidence that kids that have returned to school are spreaders of the virus and if so, are masks necessary for children. 11,000 children were tested after returning to school. 5 children tested positive, 0.045%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

That is good to hear about Manaus. It is crazy how many people died there, 120 excess deaths per day mid peak in a city of just 1.8 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

bb1234567 wrote: »
    That is good to hear about Manaus. It is crazy how many people died there, 120 excess deaths per day mid peak in a city of just 1.8 million. Many countries have not even had 100 covid deaths per million in total yet and Manuas was reporting more than that every 48 hours. It's be like roughly 330 excess deaths daily here in Ireland in April instead of the 40 or so excess daily deaths we had at our peak.

Manaus had no social distancing I believe.

If they had even followed the Swedish model of some social distancing they'd be in a better position.

The problem with countries like Brazil is the day to day existence and inability to work from home. And also very dense multi generational households, poor/zero sanitation. Brazil seems an ideal country for covid 19 - not westernised for people to work from home, but developed enough that there are public transport and densely populated in areas with some elderly.

Africa will probably do better than Brazil because of a younger population and less population density.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

If they had even followed the Swedish model of some social distancing they'd be in a better position.

The problem with countries like Brazil is the day to day existence and inability to work from home. And also very dense multi generational households, poor/zero sanitation. Brazil seems an ideal country for covid 19 - not westernised for people to work from home, but developed enough that there are public transport and densely populated in areas with some elderly.

Africa will probably do better than Brazil because of a younger population and less population density.

Yes Africa should be fine.

The city of Lagos covers an immense area, coming in with a total of 1,171.28 square kilometers (452.23 square miles). With the population continuing to grow, and currently exceeding at least 17 million residents, the population density is around 6,871 residents per square kilometer (17,800 per square mile).

I wonder how the BCG trials are going.... Or could there be another complicating factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

In addition to that, it also has a much more significant elderly population than most developing countries.
    Almost 10% of Brazilians are over 65, not a huge proportion, but in a country ike Brazil where it;s spreading rapidly to all corners, that's over 21 million who are at risk. Also has a surprisingly high obesity rate of 35%...much higher than most Europe, along with not-insignificant levels of malnutrition simultaneously, with 7% of Brazilian children facing stunted growth due to inadequate nutrition.

Probably Brazil, and most of Latin America really, are the perfect storm of conditions for COVID to be pretty devastating.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    In addition to that, it also has a much more significant elderly population than most developing countries.
    Almost 10% of Brazilians are over 65, not a huge proportion, but in a country ike Brazil where it;s spreading rapidly to all corners, that's over 21 million who are at risk. Also has a surprisingly high obesity rate of 35%...much higher than most Europe, along with not-insignificant levels of malnutrition simultaneously, with 7% of Brazilian children facing stunted growth due to inadequate nutrition.

Probably Brazil, and most of Latin America really, are the perfect storm of conditions for COVID to be pretty devastating.

The article on Manaus:-
    I've no knowledge of the paper but it seems like decent enough journalism.

'In the Brazilian Amazon, a sharp drop in coronavirus sparks questions over collective immunity'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/brazil-coronavirus-manaus-herd-immunity/2020/08/23/0eccda40-d80e-11ea-930e-d88518c57dcc_story.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Advertisement